White Day

Dear Diary, Woohyun's a Jerk

Yoomi woke up that day, smiling. Her eyes flickered over to the calender by her bedside.

March 14th. White Day.

She hopped out of bed excitedly and prepared for school. Perhaps it was what Woohyun said about her being his favourite best friend. Perhaps it was just the atmostphere created by those entrepreneurs in hope of selling flowers and chocolates.

But this year, Yoomi just looked forward to receiving gifts from her two dearest Oppas.

She recalled the drama she watched the previous day with her mom.

FLASHBACK

The screen showed two kids, a little girl and boy skipping around in the fields with their hands intertwined together. They were smiling so happily and laughing without a care in the world.

Yoomi smiled when she saw how innocent they were, and how cute the boy was when he tucked a flower in the little girl's hair.

"Awwwww~~~" Mrs Shin cooed.

Yoomi raised her brows at her mother. "Eh? Umma since when were you so corny?" she joked.

Mrs Shin chuckled. "This just reminds me of your younger days."

"Umma?" Yoomi cocked her head to the side.

"When you and Woohyun were playing together when Hoya hasn't moved here, you two were like that." Mrs Shin reminisced. "He paid attention to your every detail, and he couldn't leave your side no matter how Mrs Nam nagged at him."

Yoomi giggled at the memory. "It's not like we aren't together everyday now, Umma." she shrugged.

"Yeah I know." Mrs Shin stood up. "Just saying." she winked.

Yoomi stiffened and turned back to the TV screen. The little boy and girl were lying on the meadow, their eyes closed.

"Dara ah." the boy said. "When we grow up, promise you won't look at anyone else except me okay?"

The girl blinked. "Then how can I see where to walk?" she asked.

The boy laughed and poked her sides, making her giggle. "I mean, I'm suposed to be the most important to you okay?" he turned over to lie on his stomach as he looked at her. "Promise me you'll marry me next time, Dara."

The girl smiled. "I will, Jiyong."

END OF FLASHBACK

Yoomi had no idea why, but she wanted to return to those days when there wasn't anybody in her life except Woohyun and vice versa. Suddenly, she wanted to Woohyun and herself to be the ones in that show.

"I wonder what Woohyun Oppa will give me today!" she giggled to herself.

 


Some of the girls were happily squealing when Yoomi got to school. They were waving the chocolates they got from their crushes and some were just hovering around, looking depressed when they didn't receive anything.

Yoomi just shrugged and went to her locker.

A smile lit her face when she saw a stalk of rose and a small box of chocolates inside.

The box of chocolates were from Hoya and the the stalk of rose was from Woohyun.

Yoomi grinned brightly when she read the note on the stalk of rose.

Dear *whispers* my favourite Bestie,
Happy White Day!!
Thank you for the cookies that day! I enjoyed them!
Friends forever <3
Woohyun Oppa

She kept the box of chocolates in her bag and tucked the stalk of rose in one of her textbooks, hugging it to her chest.

She practically skipped to her next class and ignored all the weird gazes thrown at her.

"She's showing off her relationship with Woohyun and Hoya again." people whispered. "So what if they're friends? It means nothing."

Yoomi didn't care what others said. They were best friends, and it meant everything to her.

That day, after school, Yoomi skipped her way to where the three of them were to meet to go home together. Hoya smiled and her and ruffled her hair. "Liked the chocolates?" he asked.

"They were really yummy Hoya Oppa!" Yoomi beamed. She snuck a peek at Woohyun who seemed to be looking around for someone. "Thanks for the rose, Woohyun oppa. It's really pretty."

Woohyun smiled a little. "No probl-" his eyes widened. He looked back at both of them. "Wait for me a little, I'll talk to someone for a while."

Woohyun ran off without waiting for their reply. Yoomi blinked and saw Yoon Soyi walking past them. Woohyun stopped her and smiled bashfully. Yoomi's eyes widened when she saw him pass a red rose to her.

She stared down at her own pink rose, her heart sinking.

Hoya wriggled his brows at Woohyun when he came back to them. "What?" Woohyun turned red.

"What's with the rose, hyung?" Hoya asked the question that was screaming in Yoomi's head. "You only gave Yoomi roses in the past, why give Yoon Soyi one too?"

"She gave me cupcakes so I'm returning the favor alright?" Woohyun clarified. "We're just friends okay?"

Even at that, Yoomi didn't feel any happier.

When Woohyun and Hoya walked off in front of her, she slowed down her steps and watched Woohyun's back as he laughed with Hoya.

"I thought I was your special one, Woohyun Oppa." Yoomi whispered.