Avoiding Onew

Dear Diary, Woohyun's a Jerk

The Infinite members had asked about Yoomi after that outing to the movies and arcade.

"Hey isn't Yoomi coming?" L asked. Hoya gave L a look. "Don't you dare try to hit on her. She's like my sister."

Sungyeol laughed and patted L's shoulder. "Don't worry he won't." he beamed. "L is always mine!"

"YAHHHH!" L growled annoyed.

Sunggyu laughed as he packed his things. "Well, Yoomi seems like a nice girl. We don't mind her company." he admitted. "She's much better compared to those fangirls or es that attach themselves to us. Oh gosh." he shuddered.

Sungjong ate a fry and blinked at his hyungs. "But nowadays, since you two are always here practicing, who does Yoomi hang out with?" he asked. "Alone?"

Hoya looked a little guilty about it. He was a sorry towards Yoomi, since he knew they were her only close friends and he didn't have much time for her. "Well, maybe she spends her time with SHINee or-"

"No she doesn't." Woohyun cut in. The rest of them looked at Woohyun in surprise. Woohyun cleared his throat awkwardly. "Yoomi doesn't hang out with them. I'm sure."

Hoya looked confused. He figured without him and Woohyun, the closest friends Yoomi had were SHINee. She had mentioned Onew in her class and that he was rather dorky and friendly.

He shrugged. *Woohyun Hyung must know Yoomi better than me.*

 


After practice that day, Hoya and Woohyun returned home in the late afternoon only to find Yoomi not home yet. Mrs Shin told them that Yoomi had gone out with some other friends.

Hoya was pleased that Yoomi was making other friends, expanding her social circle, and didn't bother much about it, getting his books out and completing the day's work.

Woohyun on the other hand was highly suspicious of the people Yoomi chose to hang out with, other than himself. *Is she really that close with the SHINee boys?* he frowned in disapproval.

He didn't even bother to change and wash up, and he stood by the gates, waiting for Yoomi to return home.

She came home just before dinner time, and Woohyun smiled a little when he saw her silhouette walking towards him. He only frowned when he saw another person walking beside her.

*Lee Jinki.* he frowned. He had this hatred towards that guy somehow. He looked down on Onew, he didn't think Onew was a worthy friend for Yoomi.

Yoomi and Onew were laughing while walking. Yoomi had gone out with SHINee to the park in the afternoon to study the flowers and such, and she didn't think it would turn into a picnic.

Well of course it would. With Key umma being worried about the hot sun (so he brought a tent) and dirty grass to sit on (so he brought portable chairs), and that his baby Taemin would get hungry (so he packed a full five course meal for all of them). It was a real picnic alright.

The SHINee boys were fun to hang out with, and not dull and boring people like what others thought. Just because they looked a little nerdy didn't mean they weren't nice.

Yoomi was surprised to see Woohyun waiting for her by the gates, with an ominous expression. She brightened and bounded towards him. "You're back earlier today, Woohyun Oppa!" she beamed.

Woohyun didn't look at her, but instead at Onew who was standing behind Yoomi. "Hn." he responded.

Onew stared back at Woohyun. *So this is that guy in Yoomi's heart.* he thought.

"I'll be going first." Onew waved at Yoomi. "See you tomorrow at school. Bye Yoomi. Bye Woohyun sshi."

Yoomi waved happily and watched amused, as Onew almost fell when he turned to go. His Onew disease really seemed to attack him anytime anywhere.

She turned back to Woohyun, only to realize he was looking at her in disapproval. She swallowed. "Woohyun Oppa?" she squeaked.

"When Hoya and I go to training," Woohyun began. "Do you always hang out with the SHINee boys?"

Yoomi blinked, not knowing where this was leading to. "Yes?" she blinked again.

Woohyun scowled. "Are you that close with them?"

"Quite?" Yoomi blurted. She was getting afraid. Woohyun looked really displeased.

"Is Woohyun Oppa and Hoya Oppa more important to you, or them?" he demanded.

This question didn't even need much thinking, and Yoomi blurted. "Woohyun Oppa and Hoya Oppa of course!" she beamed.

Woohyun nodded. Apparently she had answered correctly. He gave her a look that wasn't very warm nor accepting. "So if I tell you to stop being friends with them, will you do it?" he asked.

Yoomi stiffened. *Stop being friends? But...why?*

Woohyun sighed when he saw Yoomi look at him confusedly. "You should know, Yoomi. Me and Hoya are the kingkas, we have reputation. And moreover now we're trainees, we are going to be more popular than ever and everyone is going to take note of the smallest things we do." he explained.

"It's bad enough that out best friend is a n-" he caught himself before he could say it out, but Yoomi already knew. *A nerd. I'm a nerd.* her face fell.

Woohyun softened. "We don't mind that you're a nerd, we're best friends." he patted her shoulder. "But others will mind. And I don't want you to ruin your reputation any more by mixing with those SHINee boys. They're the worst nerds of all. They don't look good, they study all day, and they travel in groups. Which nerd travels in groups seriously. Nerds are supposed to stay low profile and not attract more attention in their nerd group."

Woohyun was on a roll. He couldn't stop himself. "And especially that Onew guy." he grumbled. "Eating chicken all day, he'll die of chicken overdose. Trust me. He looks so dorky and stupid, and how many times has he tripped in school since he came? It's horrendous really, I don't want you mixing with this sort of people!"

Yoomi bit her lip. *But those sort of people, they're my friends.*

Woohyun sighed and cupped her cheeks. "I know you may not see things the way I do, but for your own reputation, for Hoya's and mine, can you please stop mixing with them? If you want friends, I can introduce Soyi to you. I'm sure you two will be great friends."

Yoomi just nodded. She couldn't say no to Woohyun when he was the one asking. No matter how ridiculous his reasons are, like now, she just couldn't say no.

 


Onew was surprised the next day when Yoomi didn't greet him nor the SHINee boys when she went into class. She avoided their eyes altogether and buried herself in books.

"Hey Noona, do you want to go to the library with us today?" Taemin asked.

Yoomi looked frightened at he had talked to her, much to Onew's puzzlement. She shook her head abruptly and turned back to her books.

Onew frowned. Something wasn't right.

He threw a note on her desk and eyed her from the corner of his eye. She looked shocked and frightened at any of their interactions, and she opened his note secretly.

What's wrong, Yoomi ah?

She bit her lip and scribbled a reply, before passing it back to him.

I'm sorry Jinki sshi. I can't be friends with you guys anymore, Woohyun Oppa will be mad.

I'm really sorry.


Onew's face fell and he tried to pay attention in class. *So that's how it is.*

He swallowed as he peeked at her again. *Of course she'll choose Woohyun. Who would choose five dorks instead?*