Partners

Dear Diary, Woohyun's a Jerk

Onew and Yoomi soon became comfortable with each other.

They weren't reallllllyy good friends like Yoomi, Woohyun and Hoya, since the only times when Onew and Yoomi really talked was the short times between lessons, and they didn't really meet each other after school.

However, they felt comfortable with each other, and even the silence seemed natural. Yoomi didn't feel like she needed to think of anything to say when they fell into silence sometimes. It just stayed, and they would sometimes smile at each other when their eyes met.

Yoomi wasn't really close to the other SHINee members, but they smiled at each other when they met along the hallways.

However this peaceful relationship instead made Yoomi even more disliked by the people in ths school.

Because she wasn't joining them in laughing at SHINee. Because she seemed to like their company even though they didn't talk much.

Because she looked more like a loser when she blended in well with fellow losers.

The other people in school were talking more and more about how Yoomi isn't fit to be friends with Woohyun and Hoya. Woohyun would look uncomfortable when he heard those comments and walk away, while Hoya would send a death glare to whoever who said it.

Yoomi didn't really think it was a problem for her to be a nerd while her best friends were one of the most popular people in school, until one day came.

 


"We have a project that involves the whole school again, kids!" Mrs Kim announced happily.

The class groaned. Projects meant a lot of things to teachers. A new method of education, teamwork, for students to learn independently...

But to students, it meant: Waste of time, waste of time, waste of time...etc. Did I mention waste of time?

"The project is about character development." Mrs Kim explained. "You are to form groups of three and you will write journals or diary entries for the next one month. You are to write down your thoughts of events that will happen at the same time, and you will add down your own thoughts for your partners in the same group."

"Oh god sounds lame." one of the guys at the back of the class groaned.

Yoomi looked rather interested in the whole idea. She had the habit of writing diaries since she was young, and the thought of reading Woohyun's diary entries excited her.

*I wonder if Woohyun Oppa were to write diary entries, would there be anything about me inside?* Yoomi thought curiously.

"You are to group in threes." Mrs Kim told them. "There's no limit to have group members from the same class, so you can mix around with friends from the other classes. So, have fun writing and reading!"

The class broke into chatters as they discussed their groups.

Yoomi took out a book and began reading, only to notice Onew sneaking glances at her. "Yes Jinki sshi?" she asked.

Onew rubbed the back of her neck embarrassedly. "Err... Yoomi ah.." he started awkwardly. "I was wondering...I mean we were wondering.."

Yoomi looked back and saw all the other four members of secretly sneaking glances at her too. Taemin was secretly trying to peek at her while covering his face with his carton of Banana Milk.

"Wondering?" Yoomi cocked her head to the side.

"We only have five members you see." Onew turned red, not daring to meet her gaze. "So we need another person you see... and we were thinking..."

"I have a group already." Yoomi smiled brightly. "I'll be pairing with Hoya oppa and Woohyun oppa. We're best friends."

Onew looked disappointed. "Oh is it?" he smiled half-heartedly. "It's okay Yoomi. We'll look for someone else."

Yoomi smiled politely before returning to her book.

 


"What do you mean?" Yoomi stared at Woohyun. "We are best friends. I thought we'd be in a group together!"

Woohyun pulled her away, glancing back at his girlfriend who was standing nearby. "Not so loud, Yoomi ah." he whispered.

Hoya stormed up to them and sent Woohyun a glare. "What is this I hear? I thought us three will be in a group together? Why is that Yoon Soyi telling me that you and her will be in a group with me?" he demanded.

Yoomi looked hurt as she gazed up at Woohyun for the answer.

Woohyun held Yoomi's shoulders as he looked at her pleadingly. "I hope you understand Yoomi ah." he said in a soft voice. "Soyi wants to be in the same group as me, I can't possibly refuse her-"

"Why not?" Hoya cut in, his eyes flashing dangerously. "Just say no. What's so difficult about that? And you'll let Yoomi find her own group?"

Woohyun winced. "I...I don't want to disappoint her." he explained.

Yoomi looked away. Hoya stood in front of Yoomi and glared at Woohyun. "Then let Yoomi be in a group with you two, I'll find a group myself."

"Well the thing is." Woohyun bit his lip. "It's inconvenient if my female best friend and girlfriend are in the same group together. She'll get jealous you see.. You're cute and adorable Yoomi ah I'm sure it's not difficult to find a group that wants-"

"I'll find another group." Yoomi muttered.

She saw Onew looking over at her and nodding at her, signalling that they still wanted her as a group member. She smiled a little and nodded back.

She walked away before she could see Woohyun's guilty face again. No matter how guilty he looked, something still nagged at her.

*If you can look so guilty...* she thought. *Why would you abandon me for her?*

"Even if it's just choosing partners for a group, I still feel the hurt, Woohyun oppa."