Her leftovers

Dear Diary, Woohyun's a Jerk

Yoomi's face broke into worry. *Where is Woohyun oppa going? What happened?*

She stood there, stiff for a few seconds, before Onew's hand that was frantically waving itself in front of her face, caught her attention. "Yeah?" she blinked.

"What happened, Yoomi?" Onew asked, frowning. "I was talking to you and wishing you Merry Christmas when you suddenly blanked out on me. Thinking of chicken?" he joked.

"Oh Jinki oppa." Yoomi giggled while shaking her head in amusement. "I'm sorry for blanking out. Merry Christmas too." she smiled.

Her gaze drifted back to the door where Woohyun had escaped through. "I'm sorry Jinki Oppa. I have to check up on something. Talk to you later." she mumbled.

Onew caught her wrist. "But...I haven't given you my present for you." he looked down at his delicately wrapped gift.

Yoomi bit her lip. *But Woohyun oppa...* "Let's exchange gifts tomorrow." she suggested. "I left your gift in my room anyway. I have to go now." she smiled at him briefly before running out of the door.

Onew stared at her retreating back, his heart sinking with an familiar disappointment. The disappointment he first felt when Yoomi had chose Woohyun instead of SHINee's friendship.

*I bet it's Woohyun again.* he thought sadly. *No one can affect her so much except for him. Why must you like him, Yoomi?*




As Yoomi ran out to find Woohyun, she was reminded of the time when Woohyun ran out of his house when he first got rejected by YG and SM entertaiment. She was glad that whenever he was feeling down, she was there to do something about it.

She liked his smile, and she would do anything to keep it there.

She found him staring blankly at the scenery of hills and mountains, unaware of the cold, unaware of her presence. "Woohyun oppa?" she whispered.

It took him a few calls till he finally turned to see her. The sadness in his eyes was shocking, the pain, the hurt. "Yoomi?" he croaked. "What are you doing here? You should be inside, exchaging gifts and opening presents."

"And you too." Yoomi responded quietly. She took a step nearer and searched his eyes, her brows furrowed with worry and concern. "What happened, Woohyun oppa?" she asked softly, touching his arm.

Woohyun tore his gaze away from hers and looked out into the night. "She broke up with me." came his pained reply.

Yoomi couldn't process what she just heard. "What?" she blurted in shock. "Who? Broke up? ... Soyi? Yoon Soyi broke up with you?" she gasped, her hand flying to cover instantly.

Woohyun nodded his head once. "But how?" Yoomi gasped, still completely shocked. She wasn't exactly fond of the Woohyun Soyi couple. I mean how could she, she loved Woohyun. But put that aside, they were an ideal couple. They were loving and cute together, from what she heard from others, they were a couple everybody wanted to be. A pretty girl and a handsome guy, how much more perfect can it get?

"She found someone else." Woohyun muttered. Yoomi rubbed his arms comfortingly, listening to him intently.

"She told me that while I was gone, just for this few days, she fell in love." Woohyun said in a dead voice. "She told me he was awesome. He wasn't as good-looking as me, he wasn't as talented in singing and dancing, he wasn't half as good as everything I was."

Yoomi furrowed her brows in wonder. *Then why...?*

"But he had something I didn't." he whispered. "That chemistry. That spark. That ability to make her heart race faster. The smile that could make her knees turn jelly. And most importantly, he had her heart."

He sighed as he clenched his fists. "Turns out she never really liked me." he muttered. "She went out with me for popularity, and because I was good-looking enough. Everything was a lie, until she found the one that really touched her heart."

Yoomi swallowed. *How can someone not like...no, love Woohyun oppa? He's perfect, even his flaws.*

"She could have told me earlier, you know." Woohyun continued. "I know what I had for her wasn't exactly love, but I liked her enough. She could at least have the courtesy to break it with me, at least not on Christmas."

He laughed softly as he turned to look at Yoomi. "And you know what?" he muttered. "I was so stupid not to have known. She didn't contact me for days. She didn't return my calls of messages. She didn't call me baby or oppa when she did reply. And when that message came at midnight, I was still thinking of what cute mushy things she'll say to me. Turns out it was a Christmas gift alright. A gift that woke me up."

"Woohyun oppa." Yoomi sobbed silently as she hugged his torso. "I'm so sorry."

Woohyun chuckled despite himself. "What are you sorry for, babo?" he whispered, wiping her tears away. "You're not the Soyi who two timed me. You're not the one who broke my heart. You're the one who's here by me when I'm at my lowest moment."

Yoomi looked up at him, seeing his pained eyes. "But I can't take away the pain." Yoomi breathed, cringing. "I want to make you happy again Woohyun Oppa. I don't like you sad."

Woohyun lowered his gaze, but even without looking at his face, Yoomi knew he was pained. He was suffering his first heartbreak. First love was sweet, it was memorable while it lasted. But when it came to an end, the pain was also something you couldn't forget.

"I know you'll find me naggy saying this." Yoomi searched his eyes. "But there are many other girls out there. Don't lose hope just because of a single one. You said so yourself, you didn't love her, you just liked her. You'll find that girl you love someday. Maybe, you don't even need to look far. Maybe...she's just around the corner." she whispered the last part, her heart pounding.

*I'm here Woohyun oppa. Why don't you see me?* she thought sadly.

"But tonight." Yoomi continued. "I order you to cry, Woohyun oppa. Just forget about pride and everything else, just let out all our emotions and try to forget the pain. Tomorrow, you can be the Nam Woohyun that everyone adores again."

Woohyun bit his lip, standing awkwardly. Yoomi reached up to hug him by the neck, and waited. Soon, his sobs were heard. They were soft, but pained. Yoomi could feel her shirt and neck getting wet but she didn't care. Her heart was twice as pain as how Woohyun's was.

After venting all his emotions, he pulled away with a small smile. "Thanks Yoomi." he whispered. Yoomi smiled at him, her heart pounding.

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a ring.

Yoomi's eyes widened. "Is that...?"

"Yes." Woohyun's eyes dimmed. "My Christmas present to her. I'm going to throw that away."

He raised his hands and threw that ring, including his feelings and pain away. It bounced off amongst the grass. Woohyun turned to look at Yoomi. "Thanks for tonight. I'll go back in. You turn in soon too, Yoomi." he tapped her nose before turning to go.

Yoomi stared at the direction of the ring. *Should I...?*

Before she knew it, she was searching amongst the grass and bushes. It wasn't before 3am in the middle of the night before she finally found that ring Woohyun had thrown away.

She held it to her heart and closed her eyes, sighing. *Thank god.* she tip toed and returned to her room.


25 December 2006

Dear Diary,

I took the ring with me. The ring that Yoon Soyi didn't want. She may treat it as junk, but to me, it's the most precious thing in the world.

I'm pathetic, I know.

But that ring, even for the slightest moment, that ring had contained Woohyun oppa's real feelings for Soyi. Even if those feelings weren't for me, I don't care.

Because at least now I can hug this ring to sleep, and pretend that the one he loves is me.