He's not worth it

Dear Diary, Woohyun's a Jerk

THE PRESENT

The guilt in Woohyun's gut was making him churn. He was feeling sick all over, he felt like dying. He felt like he didn't have the right to live. Why the hell did he play such a joke on her?

"To be honest, when you did that, we were all contemplating if we should as CEO to cast you out from Infinite." Sunggyu confided. "We just couldn't stand a member that would play with people's feelings and laugh about it. It's pure evil."

Woohyun lowered his gaze, biting his lips.

"We were disgusted, in fact." L told his Hyung. "When you laughed at Yoomi and high-fived with the other bastards, it was like we really didn't know who you were."

"Then why didn't you." Woohyun asked softly. "Why didn't you tell the CEO?"

Hoya sighed and patted Woohyun's shoulder. "Because we have dreams too. And we know how hard we've worked to pursue that dream. We know the disappointment if all that you've worked for becomes nothing. That's why."

Woohyun swallowed. He buried his face in his hands. "I didn't know. I just wanted attention and at that point hurting her doesn't seem much." he confessed. "I didn't even think it would hurt her, to be honest. But I didn't know..."

"You didn't know her feelings for you." Dongwoo shook his head regretfully.

Woohyun nodded. *It must have hurt. I must have hurt her bad that time. If some stranger plays this trick on you, you can just roll your eyes and walk away. But when the one you love does that, it makes everything a hundred times worse.*

"I can't believe I didn't know." he whispered.

Hoya sighed. "I didn't know she loved you too. It wasn't until someone else told me. Like how Yoomi always looked in your direction, that someone else only looked in hers."

Woohyun's stomach churned, knowing full well who Hoya was talking about.


 

Yoomi didn't cry.

She didn't want to appear to be weak in front of anyone anymore. She didn't want Woohyun to know that his joke bothered her. If he had known, he would have figured her feelings.

It was an incredible feat to keep her tears to herself as she pretended she was alright, walking around the school to the next class.

But even without her tears, Onew could tell she was suffering. She was suffering inside, from Woohyun's cruel joke, from the rejection. She didn't deserve any of this but she had to go through everything.

She instantly became the topic of the school, and Sujin's incident with Woohyun was forgotten. People anticipated what Woohyun would do to other girls in the future. In the mean time, they had a great time laughing their asses off at Yoomi.

"Yoomi ah." Onew grabbed her arm when school ended. She hasn't made any reaction regarding Woohyun's joke in he afternoon. He expected some sort of depression, sadness and tears.

But her emotionless face was what scared him the most.

"Yoomi...Are you okay?" he asked softly.

Yoomi smiled. Onew gulped as he watched her smile. It wasn't supposed to he happening. Why is she faking?

"I'm fine Jinki Oppa." she assured. "I still have a lot to do at home, so I'll go home first alright? Bye." she waved and ran off.

Onew watched her skip home, seemingly unaffected, and his stomach churned. *Why must you hide your tears from me?*

 


For the next couple of weeks, Yoomi seemed like her normal self. Cheerful, happy, and loving to read.

Behind her back, the SHINee boys were praising her on how lightly she took Woohyun's joke. She seemed so cool about it, it was admirable.

But Onew knew better. He had seen the sorrow in her eyes when they walked passed Woohyun in the hallways. The look of envy whenever Jina passed them, strutting with her long y legs.

He knew she was suffering inside, and he wanted her to show it. He was starting to get a little confused over how her feelings affect his. He knew he liked her from the beginning, but it was as a person. Did he...like her more than a friend?

The SHINee boys always for falling for Yoomi, but Onew didn't think he did love her. She was the only girl he knew, so it was inevitable that he treated her the best.

He shook off his thoughts and ran to the familiar house. He didn't see Hoya or Woohyun and knew they were at Woollim, practicing.

He knocked on Yoomi's door, and her surprised face greeted him. "Jinki Oppa?" she gasped. "What are you doing here?"

"Aren't you going to let me in?" Onew asked with a small smile.

Yoomi nodded and let him in, getting him a cup of orange juice. "Is anything the matter, Jinki Oppa?" she asked with a smile.

Onew watched her for a few moments. Yoomi looked at him curiously, not knowing what he was going to say.

"Are you happy, Yoomi?" he suddenly asked.

Yoomi blinked in surprise. "Huh? What's with the sudden question Jinki Oppa?" she laughed.

Onew ignored her and cut her off. "Are you happy?" he repeated. "Was that smile real? Was that laugh really from your heart? I don't want you to lie to me, Yoomi."

"Jinki Oppa..." Yoomi bit her lips.

Onew took her hand in his and noticed how his heart was racing. "I want you to smile when you're really happy, Yoomi. I love hoe your smile seems brighter than the sun, and how it can light an entire room. But I don't want to see the smile on your face if it's forced, do you get me, Yoomi?" he asked softly, caressing her cheek with his thumb.

Yoomi swallowed her eyes tearing. "How did you know I wasn't happy genuinely, Jinki Oppa?"

"You weren't your happiest from the moment Woohyun disowned you as a friend." Onew stated. "And when he played that joke on you weeks ago, I noticed all your smiled and laughs were fake, Yoomi."

He sighed and tilted her head to face him. "I don't want you to pretend, Yoomi." he whispered. "You can cry, you have every reason to do so. I don't want anything except your genuine feelings around me, Yoomi."

"Jinki Oppa..."

Onew pulled her go him and laid her face on his chest. "Cry if you want to. I'm always here." he cooed.

It didn't take long before he felt his shirt getting wet. Onew patted Yoomi's back in a soothing fashion and her hair comfortingly.

Her soft sobs were killing him. He hated to see her cry. He would do anything to make her smile for the rest of her life.

"Onew Oppa, I have a confession to make." Yoomi whispered. She bit her lip. "Actually, I've been in love with Woohyun Oppa for a long time."

Hearing it from made the knowledge so much more painful. Onew felt a searing pain in his heart while he held her, hearing her confession for another guy.

It hit him.

*I'm in love with her.* he realized.

He her cheek softly and searched her eyes. "I know." he admitted. Yoomi's eyes widened in surprise. "I knew you loved him ever since the first time you talked about him. The adoration in your eyes were rather hard to miss." he tried his best not to sound bitter but failed.

Yoomi teared again. "What am I to do, Jinki Oppa?" she sobbed.

Onew held her close. "Forget him Yoomi. He isn't worth it."

"But...I can't." Yoomi whispered brokenly. "I love him too much. I don't want to let go."

Onew flinched. *What about me? I love you too but you don't see me any more than a friend.*

As she was crying over her broken heart, he was silently crying for his.