Trust

Dear Diary, Woohyun's a Jerk

Mrs Shin smiled as she looked out of the window. Yoomi and Woohyun were playing around in the garden like they did everyday.

She notice that her daughter was smiling a whole lot more than she did in the past. She became more outspoken and would even laugh at the jokes made on tv.

"Your son's really a great influence to my daughter." Mrs Shin turned to Mrs Nam who was helping her shell the peas.

Mrs Nam chuckled. "I noticed your daughter smiling more these days. Seems like Woohyun did melt her ice wall. I'm so glad."

Outside, Yoomi and Woohyun were fooling around again. Yoomi was just reading her "Ugly duckling" book, when Woohyun came and bugged her to so something more fun.

Yoomi puffed her cheeks. "What do you want to do, Woohyun?"

Woohyun wrinkled his nose in displeasure. "When will you call me Woohyun Oppa?" he demanded. "I'm older than you!"

"LALALA~" Yoomi pretended to sing and cover her ears at the same time.

Woohyun shook his head in amusement. He grabbed her wrist and yanked her up to stand. "Come with me." He ushered.

He led her to sit down below one of the large trees that was near the playground. "Wait for me here alright?" he told her while tapping the tip of her nose. "I'll be back in two."

Yoomi nodded and looked around while she waited. Other kids were at the playground, fooling around and shrieking. Through Woohyun, Yoomi had gotten to know a few others, who are all girls.

They seemed rather displeased that Woohyun was paying her a lot of attention. Even at such a young age, they could tell a good looking kid from another, and Woohyun was a lot of other little girl's eye candy.

Yoomi on the other hand didn't really know why they were so irritated with her. She didn't care either, Woohyun's friendship was enough for her.

Suddenly, one of the larger boys came from the direction of the playground towards her. Yoomi blinked as the boy who was around twelve years old towered above her.

"Are you Shin Yoomi?" he demanded.

Yoomi nodded as she pushed her glasses fearfully. The boy growled. "Stand up." he ordered rudely.

Yoomi scrambled up quickly. The boy glared at her. "My sister says you're stealing her Woohyun Oppa from her. She cried a lot because of you. And you're just a loser that even your father doesn't want. Loser." he spat.

Yoomi flinched. She didn't know it would hurt so much with just words. It pierced through her heart and she screwed her eyes shut, not wanting to cry and show her weakness in front of this bully.

"Don't make my sister cry, you loser!" the boy growled and pushed Yoomi on the ground. She fell with a yelp and scraped her knees with the rough bark of the tree.

Tears started flowing as the physical and mental pain hit her hard. *It's like this again. Why is it that everywhere I go, I'm being bullied like this?* she cried inside.

*Maybe, this is just my life. I'm supposed to be like that.* she thought depressingly as she shut her eyes, seeing that the boy was prepared to hurl another punch at her.

A rock suddenly flew at top speed towards the boy and hit him straight on the head. He fell back several steps and shook his head to clear himself of the dizziness. "What the."

Woohyun came into sight, his face red with anger. He dropped the two cups of ice cream he had bought on the ground and grabbed more rocks from the ground.

"What do you think you're doing to our Yoomi!" Woohyun demanded, throwing more rocks at the boy.

The boy growled angrily as he stood up again. He was a good head taller than Woohyun, being at least five years older. "Why you little brat." the boy roared and pushed Woohyun down.

Woohyun furrowed his brows and tried to kick the big guy, but the latter caught his foot. "I'm older than you, so don't even try." he snarled. "Don't interfere. I'm teaching this loser a lesson."

"YOOMI IS NOT A LOSER!" Woohyun shouted. He glared fiercely at the larger boy and managed to land a kick at the latter's chest, managing to push him down flat on the ground.

"She's NOT a loser." He repeated. "She's my friend! I don't want friends like your sister because she lies and stole 5000 won from my house the last time she came! I want to be friends with sweet girls like Yoomi! Don't you dare bully Yoomi again you big bad wolf!"

The older guy growled and got up, dusting his knees. "Brat. You're going to get it someday." he glowered, before huffing off and soon crying to his mother.

Woohyun heaved a sigh of relief and looked over at Yoomi who was looking at him with large round eyes. "Are you okay Yoomi?" he asked worriedly. "Did he hurt you?"

Yoomi looked down at her scraped knees. Woohyun's jaw clenched. "That bad person." he grumbled. "Next time when I'm big, tall and strong, I'll knock him out." he helped Yoomi up. "Let's get umma to clean the wound for you, Yoomi ah."

Yoomi gazed up at him, and her finger lightly grazed over his cut on his cheek. "You're hurt too." she whispered.

Woohyun felt his own cheek and saw red blood. "It's nothing. Umma will fix us up in no time." he beamed. "Come on Yoomi. I won't let those bullies do anything to you."

Yoomi let him lead her back to the house slowly, her gaze at the back of his head and sometimes landing on his firm grip on her wrist.

"Thank you." she whispered.

Woohyun turned back to look at her curiously. Yoomi took a deep breath and met his eyes.

"Thank you, Woohyun Oppa."

A smile appeared on Woohyun's face. "You should've called me that a long time ago!" he complained. "Do I have to get hurt so that you'll call me Oppa? Huh huh?" he tickled her.

Both of them ran home with laughter ringing all the way.


 

23 March 1998

Dear Diary,

I think I know the answer now.

I think, I can trust Woohyun Oppa. And I think, he will bring many smiles on my face.

I'm going to trust him and be his friend for real.