Chapter 9

The New JongHyun Scandal: The Experimental Story

I have committed a HUGE crime to all of you. I haven't updated yesterday. x]

Well, I can explain. School has been really hectic for me. I had to participate in a spoof-a-mathematiciian contest.

And fortunately, my efforts were rewarded.. I got first. =]

But I had to trade updating a chapter for that. Awww. And I wanted to update for all of you guys too. >_< v

Now, next update in 12 comments and/or 45 subscribers. x] Thanks! <3

Prepare to see something inhuman in our lead character. Also, be prepared for a change in terms of people that Selene is with in the following chappies.  x]

It's still SHINee, but... you'll see soon. x]

Anyway, here is your very overdue chapter, readers and subscribers.

Because you shocked me by fulfilling both the condition AND the alternative. =]

Listen first to "Listen...To You" by Super Junior's Cho KyuHyun:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqa0SifQhxA
= = =

November 19, 2010

I stood up from my bed early, wondering why I was able to do so. I usually don't wake up early by myself. I have an alarm clock, but, it's off today. I forgot to set the alarm last night.

Well, since I'm awake, better do something. Knowing myself, I wouldn't be able to sleep again unless I'm really REALLY tired.

As I went towards the living room, I couldn't help but smile as I saw a figure of a man asleep on my couch. With that crafty brain of his, he re-arranged the chairs in my living room to make himself a makeshift bed somehow. And looking at his figure, I could see he's comfortable.

The blanket covering him in his sleep fell down to his abdominal area, so I just smiled silently before going to where he was. Upon getting to his form, I raised his blanket upto his chest.

Aigoo, Key-ah. Why were you so persistent on staying with me even when knowing you, you would rather rent a hotel than sleep on a couch?

I said that to myself as I stood up from my kneeling position and turned my back on him.

But even before I could move away, I felt a hand graze my wrist, and I dared to turn around.

"Morning, ShiRin-ah."

= = =

"Morning, Key-ah." I said back to the still sleepy SHINee member, not knowing what else to say. His hold on my wrist became tighter as I spoke.

"Why are you awake so early? It's just... 5." Key-ah asked me, momentarily pausing to look at his cellphone for the time. I shrugged my shoulders once before motioning to him that I would sit beside him. He moved away for a bit as I sat, but as my back finally got contact with the couch, he rested his head on my shoulder.

"Well, I don't really know actually. I just snapped out of my sleep, I guess." I told him, hearing a soft "Hmmmmm." from him.

"ShiRin-ah, I read the letter HeeSung Sunbae give you yesterday. Why did she correct herself when she called you ShiRin-ah?" He asked me, and I smiled as I answered.

"Well, since the day of my debut is fast approaching, all the SME and SonicEntertainment staff decided to call me Selene. That's my stage name." I explained, encouraged by the nodding I felt on my shoulder.

"Oh, I see. So, sooner or later, even SHINee's gonna call you 'Selene' huh?" He asked and now, it was my turn to nod.

"Awwwww. Too bad. ShiRin still suits you more. I think even TaeMin-ah and Jjong Hyung would agree with me." He told me as he raised his head from my shoulder, and I just laughed softly at his reaction.

"But since everybody's gonna call me that soon, better get used to call me by my stage name." I said, before standing up from my sitting position.

"Do you have rehearsal today?" He asked me, and I nodded. I was now going to the kitchen to prepare breakfast for both Key-ah and me.

"But it's just... 5:30." He added, once again stopping to look at the time through his cellphone. I just chuckled.

"I'm not yet immediately going, pabo! I'm still going to walk around before I actually go to my practice." I told Key-ah as he stood up from the couch and went to where I was.

Then, could I come to rehearsal with you today? You weren't able to bring me there last time." He told me, and I remembered his first day with me here in Japan. He offered to bring me to my rehearsal room, but in the end, we weren't able to go.

"Maybe I could." I said, smiling as Key-ah's lips exploded into a huge smile.

= = =

"Selene-chan, I have to apologize. I haven't been able to contact you earlier this morning. But Yamazaki-san, your Japanese choreographer met an accident yesterday while he was going home. He sprained his ankle and wouldn't be able to train you for about a week or two. So, S.E. is preparing your tickets to go back to Korea. Tentatively, you'll be leaving two days from now." Another Senpai of mine, in singing this time, told me as I got to the rehearsal room with Key-ah.

Mwo?! Senpai, injured?!

"Oh, okay. But is it fine if I review some steps, since I'm already here?" I asked her and she just nodded.

As my Senpai walked away, I faced Key-ah and smirked.

"I have a favor to ask of you."

= = =

[SHINee: Hello]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwoywWanL0w

"Are you really serious that you want to learn the steps of 'Hello'?" Key-ah asked me as we got inside the rehearsal room. I just nodded.

"Yup. Just show me the steps three times, and I promise that I could follow you on the third time you do it." I told him, and I chuckled as I saw the look on his face. His eyes are giving me a look that says "are-you-crazy?"

"Trust me." I said before Key-ah started to move. He did the intro and first stanza, stopping before the bridge.

Truthfully, when I was still studying in the cultural school here in Japan, I discovered that I had an uncanny ability. Very weird. I can follow a set of steps after it is shown to me about three times. My teachers were the ones who actually discovered this ability of mine, thus making me the object of many students' envy in the dance department.

"Okay, you've seen it twice. Ready for the third time?" He asked me after his second set, and with a small nod, I closed my eyes.

I pictured in my mind first how Key-ah did it, and I just tried to copy what he did. I tried to take into consideration the tricky parts of the intro, and the position changes in the first part of the stanza, plus the tricky footworks and handworks in the second part of the stanza.

When the whole thing ended, I opened my eyes to find Key-ah literally gaping at me like a fish out of water.

"Wow." Was the only thing he said as I analyzed where I was and what I was doing. It was the same pose I remembered Key-ah do.

"I told you I can copy you." I said, smirking a bit before asking him to continue dancing.

= = =

"Are you sure that you haven't seen 'Hello' and 'Lucifer' more than twice?" Key-ah said while he was wiping the sweat from his face. We had just finished running through 'Hello' and we're at the half of 'Lucifer'.

I just shook my head at his question, chugging my thirst quencher down afterwards. I have seen the music video of 'Hello' twice, and I just watch their performances only once. I knew that this glitch of mine will activate after the second viewing, so I tried to supress it by watching dance videos only once. I don't want people thinking that I'm automated or something.

"Okay, mind telling me the story on why you can do something as inhuman as that?" He asked me, and I laughed awkwardly as I began stating my story.

"Well, it all started when I was still studying here in Japan. I was just a High School student then, having monthly training sessions in the Tokyo Cultural High School while being a student in Seoul National High. Ever since Sunbae taught me how to dance 'Replay', I began to watch more and more videos of people dancing. One day, one of my teachers asked the class if anyone knows how to dance SNSD's 'Gee'. Many students raised their hands, but I didn't. I have only watched the video once, and it had been a while ever since I saw it. Just then, the teacher let the dance version of the music video play. As I watched, it was like my brain began storing and storing the moves of the SNSD members. When the video ended, the teacher played the song, and I copied it perfectly, according to Sensei." I began, and as I looked at Key-ah, he had a surprised look on his face.

"So, the first time you used the ability was when someone asked you to do a SNSD song?" He asked me, and I nodded.

"Surprisingly, yes. A few months after, when you guys returned with 'Ring Ding Dong', the senseis made me watch the whole thing 5 times. That day was the first time I watched the dance version. They separated me from my classmates and saved a room only for me. They recorded everything, and according to them, I was able to follow the whole dance version of the video just after 4 continuous views. I didn't know a thing. It's because I usually close my eyes when I copy movements. It makes me remember the moves faster." I continued, and while I was explaining, Key-ah held a hand over his mouth in shock.

"Have you asked any doctor to examine your head or something? This is really unnatural." He told me after removing his hand from his mouth, and I nodded.

"My dad brought me to a doctor 3 months before he died. The explanation, well according to the doctor, was that continuous involvement in both lessons and arts sharpened both left and right hemispheres of my brain. Studying in a school that specialized in many subjects relating the left hemisphere of the brain causes my memory to be more enhanced. But involving dancing and music to the equation, which exercises the right side, just brought me to a whole new level. What I know in memorizing formulas became the basis for me to memorize steps. They said that having a highly developed brain caused me to have an almost... photographic memory." I said, only stopping at what seemed a very unrealistic term for me.

"But I don't believe that photographic memory stuff. I don't think I'm that good still. That's why even if I can copy movements quicker than expected, I still exert effort to study every detail of the steps. Even if I already know how to move, I still go back to the basics. It makes me look more.. normal somehow." I said, and sighed.

"It helps that you have a mother like Song JiRae who's involved in musical theater and a father like Lee Hyung Jae who manages his wife's career..." I added, smiling shyly when I saw the eyes of Key-ah widen.

"Your mom is a theater actress and your dad's her manager?" He asked, and I nodded. Well, truthfully, my mom really is. My dad is her manager actually, thus explaining why he had friends who worked in entertainment companies.

"Cool. Your family's amazing, Selene-ah. No wonder you're just going to train for 4-5 months. You already know everything!" He told me, and I just shrugged my shoulders.

"Don't tell anybody about what I shared to you, okay?" I asked Key-ah and he nodded before holding out his pinky. Childish, but sweet.

"Sure. This will be our little secret." He told me, making me smile and lace my pinky with his.

One secret made me become closer friends with Key-ah.

But once I debut, will I still be able to talk to him like this?