4. Sungjae/ Bomi

[OPEN] BangMind's One-shot Request Shop (+ Old Story Dump)

Request #4. Dela898 - (Sungjae/ Bomi) 150929 - 151018 (beta-read by jheunyeo)

Scenerio: Sungjae thought he would never meet an actually true love in his 'bad' life. But Bomi proofs him wrong.

Your request was: N/A


I ran pell-mell helter-skelter, until I found a place where the road forked. I chose to turn left as people would usually choose to turn right instinctively.

 

I was wrong. My pursuer who had been chasing me for the past few minutes was still close to catching up with me.

"Damn him," I muttered under my breath as I dashed forward, " I didn't even snatch the gold necklace from him; just some woman who isn't even related to him... Why is he so eager to catch me?"
 
Rubbing my eyes in weariness, I pushed myself on. I could not stop now. The sound of my heartbeat filled my ears, adrenaline driving me on as I searched desperately for a bolthole. However, I could not find an escape route or a single place to hide from my pursuant. Just my luck, I muttered.

Just then, I spotted an alley and darted into it, panting heavily. Nevertheless, I could still hear the footsteps of my pursuer.

They were getting louder.

Out of the blue, an idea struck me. Glancing at the gold necklace in my hands, I hesitated. Being able to steal a gold necklace was not an everyday thing for me, especially such a priceless carcanet. It was from Tiffany's, the world's premier jeweller after all.

My pursuant's footfall was getting even louder.

I could not afford to get caught.

It was now or never.

Cursing repeatedly under my breath, I hastily flung the necklace away and took off my black hoodie, revealing my tank top underneath. Sighing, I pulled out a knife from the pocket of my hoodie.

I shut my eyes tight, not daring to look as the glinting blade came into contact with my stomach. I bit my lip, trying suppress the yelp that threatened to escape from my mouth. It hurt a lot, like someone was pressing a red-hot poker against me. Fresh blood stained my tank top carmine. After that, I wearily put the bloody knife back into the hoodie pocket and threw the hoodie out of sight. Slumping against a wall, I gasped for air as the pain intensified.

The man who had been chasing me earlier showed up seconds later. He was evidently exhausted, panting just like how I had been.

 “You alright, buddy?” The man asked upon seeing the emaciated me, his breaths slowing down to to a steady pace. He crouched down and scrutinised me worriedly, gaping as soon as he saw the laceration on my wrist. Fumbling, he whipped out his phone. He probably thought I was a victim of an attack then. The irony.

“We are having an emergency here. Please come to…” I heard him say as my eyelids drooped; the world starting to swivel around me…   

 


I woke up to the warm sunlight shining on my face. I opened my eyes slowly, squinting as the glaring sunlight hit my eyes. A blanket was covering me. How nice… wait… a blanket? I don't remember having a blanket with me the previous night though...

“Oh, you've woken up. Good morning, Mr. Yook Sungjae.” A voice - a female's, I noted -  rang next to me as I opened my eyes, squinting as the light was hitting on me. Too bright. I looked around me curiously… white walls, white beds... white everything. So I was in a hospital. Oh of course. Where else would that man have sent a bleeding guy to?

“I gave you a checkup last night. You are out of danger, but weak due to loss of blood...” The voice droned on monotonously. She sounded uninterested, like she was forced to be here. I watched the doctor change my IV drip. Now as I looked at her, I could say she was in her early twenties too. A young doctor huh. My eyes fell onto her name tag. Dr. Yoon Bomi, it read.

“You’re probably an intern huh.” I should have kept quiet, but I wanted to tease the hell out of her. I was obviously not pleased with her attitude. Who would be, anyway? She nodded her head slightly. A little arrogantly, if I might add. She did not even look at me in the eyes. “Are you feeling alright?” she asked.

“It hurts. Here. ” I pointed at my bandaged stomach. The pain had subsided significantly;  the bandage was a little too tight for my liking though but I could actually bear the discomfort it caused. However, some teasing to amuse myself would be fun.

“Wait a bit.” The girl nodded her head, glancing at me for a brief moment before raising an eyebrow at me when she saw my wry grin. She then proceeded to remove the bandages conscientiously and wrap them around me again. Throughout the process, I did not dare to joke around since she was so serious; her facial expression was colder than ice. She did not even bat an eyelash when she saw my unclothed torso. It was apparent that she was not impressed by my body. Sadly. Wait what? Why would I be sad that she was not  impressed by my body? Why would I even care?

 “Done. Do you feel better now? Your wound is not too deep, you're lucky.” She sounded sour. I just nodded, not bothering to reply verbally. She’s boring, I thought.


I was on my wheelchair; a nurse was pushing me around the hospital's yard. I felt pretty bored so I told her to leave me alone and carry on with her other duties. Looking at the nurse's retreating back, I heaved a sigh of relief. Finally, I was free from anyone's supervision. Being at the hospital was boring. Might as well take this chance to get out of this hellhole for a little while.

“Where are you going on your own? Where’s Nurse Kim? I thought she was with you?” I looked up to see the speaker’s face. Of course it was none other than Yoon Bomi, that boring doctor.

“Why do you ask, doctor? Are you worried? How touching,” I commented. The girl smirked. What? She dared to smirk at me?

“Yes, I’m worried that someone would get robbed,” she sneered. Her smirk grew wider when she saw my startled expression .

“What do you mean?” I asked, trying to sound as nonchalant as possible, although I could faintly hear my heart pounding in my chest. She knew? But how?

Dr. Bomi face turned cold. Or maybe menacing, even, I thought. She bent down as such that was near my ear and whispered in a low voice, “I know what you are, youngster. Don’t you ever let me see you committing around here, or the police will meet you right away.”

I tilted my head innocently. Not. “What do you mean?”

“Don’t you recognise this?” She sniggered, pulled out her phone and showed me a photograph. Or more specifically, a photograph of a very familiar gold necklace in what I assumed was Dr. Bomi’s bedroom. My eyes widened upon seeing the photograph.

“Got that now?” She straightened herself and stalked off.   

 


The next day was like hell to me. It was all because of that Yoon Bomi. Why did she not call the police to arrest me? Why would she not let people know about my doings? Why did she keep the necklace in her room but not show it to the authorities? I was scared that she would tell the truth to everyone. One day, she might. She had no reason not to. Or did she? All these thoughts ran through my mind as I watched Dr. Bomi enter the room.

 “What are you planning?” I asked. Dr. Bomi was changing my IV again. Her movements were faster than before, more professional to be exact.
“What are you talking about?” She said in an indifferent tone. Upon seeing that I had no reaction, she turned around, preparing to leave the room.

 I reched out to hold her wrist - which was really small - effortlessly. Instead of struggling like most girls would, she just stared at me.

 “Let go.”

“Are you planning to blackmail me or something? What do you want? Money isn't a problem. Just name me your price, " I whispered harshly, tightening my hold on her wrist which made her grimace in pain. That’s right, she should. That little witch.

“I just wanted you to stop doing it outside this hospital!” Dr. Bomi screamed while yanking her arm away from me.

“You know what? I can kill you now to shut your up. You’re at risk of losing your life," I threatened. In truth,I was afraid that she might have some cunning plan running in her head. She jerked her head up and cooked her eyebrows at me. She was fierce. However, I was not going, or rather, willing, to lose. I pulled her by her collar as such that her face was inches away from mine.

“You don’t believe me?” I clenched my teeth and glared at her. She just looked at me blankly, chewing her bottom lip defiantly. She was scared, I could see that. But she did not answer. Unsatisfied with her reaction, I grabbed her neck with one hand. She flailed her arms about wildly and her hands landed on my shoulder. In a frenzied manner, she held the thin material of my top, trying in vain to pry me away from her. Just as I tightened my grip, she closed her eyes, her lips pressed into a firm line.

“You wouldn’t kill me.” Bomi opened her eyes and looked at me, a smile creeping onto her face. Stunned by the sudden change in her behaviour, I stared at her, mouth agape. It was the first time I saw her smile. And it was the first time someone smiled at me, a thief. I just cleared my throat awkwardly and looked at everywhere else apart from her. She was pretty with that smile, I admit.

“Don’t be a conceited brat. I'm not in the mood today, ” I mumbled. She heard it anyway and grinned.

“You don’t want to harm people. You decided to hurt yourself. But I just don’t understand why you steal people’s stuff.” She flipped her hair. "Mind telling me why?"

I opened my mouth to answer but just then, I noticed the proximity of our faces and cleared my throat again, embarrassed, "Aren't we too close, um, physically?"  

Bomi coughed and broke the eye contact, her face reddening.

“By the way, yes, I mind telling you. A lot. You won't understand anyway.” I stated as apathetically as I could although my heart rate was increasing rapidly. At the corner of my eyes, I saw her tilt her head to the left and look at me quizzically.

“About the necklace, aren't you going to ask how I got it?” Dr. Bomi questioned. I had a feeling that she was going to continue to interrogate me.

“You probably happened to see it somewhere. I threw it away in an alley,” I answered, still refusing to looking at her.

“Nuh-uh.”

“Whatever. I don't care.”

“Really?” She gave me a skeptical look.

“Oh right. I got to see sunbae-nim. He’s waiting. Talk to you later.” Bomi looked at the clock hanging on the wall. It read 5.PM. She smiled at me again, which made my cheeks feel hotter, and took out the necklace I had stolen. I gasped.

“I’d bought for you a white hoodie; I'll put this in it; I've already burned the black one. Don't worry, nobody else knows.”   

That was my last encounter with her at the hospital.


Author's notes:

So many thanks to jheunyeon who helped me with the grammar and word choice! The length even went up by 400 words! That's so cool!

failed update for pegase2311, I'm sorry because it hasn't been fully beta-read yet.

So what do you think Dela898?