1. Kyuhyun/ OC

[OPEN] BangMind's One-shot Request Shop (+ Old Story Dump)

Request #1. KpopLoverLella - My Only One (Kyuhyun/ OC) 150929 - 151008 (beta-read by purplewallflwer and nightlock08)

Scenario: Kyuhyun is a plumper. A hard working job right? Recently he works even harder. For what? Let's find it out~~

Your request was: N/A


 “Come on.”

I offered a hand to Cho Kyuhyun, the unfortunate yet stubborn guy. He had been this way ever since the day I first met him.

“No.” He rejected my help, again.

“This is not the time to be egoistic. Look at your arms!” Although my tone was stern, my hand was gentle as I held his hand and made him sit next to me. I hated how scabrous his hands felt, the very evidence of how much he worked. Being a plumber did came with an income, but it was not a decent job for someone like him. I became more worried for him ever since I started college, since he began working harder doing whatever he was doing. He came home late with more bruises and more sleep, less talk and less rest. I didn’t really have much free time either. Sometimes I wished I hadn’t chosen the most expensive major – medical.

I took the ice bag from the fridge, which was always prepared for him, before applying it to his bruises. He groaned in pain, wincing a bit.

“Sit still. You look like ," I angrily commanded. I hated to see him gaining bruises everyday yet his previous bruises didn’t fade out as quickly. The feeling of helplessness seeped in but I threw it away, thinking he was the one looking for trouble.

“It’s okay. Do it quick and go study. I will prepare some meals for us.” Kyuhyun suggested. I was the one who cooked and did the house chores while he was the money earner of the house. Luckily, he let me work part-time lately, despite how long and difficult it took to convince him.

“No sir. You need to take a shower.” I patted his head. His hair was dirty and oily, along with the sweat all over his body. Overall, he looked like a wreck.

“Oh.” He blinked in realization. I chuckled to myself, already feeling the previous anger melting away.

“Stop working so hard. I can earn some money myself, you know.” I knew I brought up the topic too many times already, and I would have stopped long ago if only he would listen the first time. Kyuhyun sighed, and I knew he would avoid the topic again.

“Jaesoo, I can do this. Stop worrying, okay?” In a brief moment, I felt guilty and angry with myself. Due to my desperate want to take medical – an expensive and long-term course, I caused him to work this hard. This was my last year and I would graduate. In the meantime, he would start his military service soon.

“Ugh, I feel so much better now. Thank you, Jaesoo.” Kyuhyun slowly reached towards me and gave me a usual daily kiss on the cheek. I didn’t know how to react to that. I always sat still, watching the way he tilted his head and closed his eyes, which made me shiver yet feeling shy all of the sudden. He stretched his back and his arms like nothing happened. That damn old man. He was already 29 years old.

“You're this old and you still haven't got any girlfriend yet?” I asked sincerely, but soon regretted it. For some reason, I was hoping he would answer no.

“Aigoo, isn’t my little sister enough?” He brushed my hair again, a familiar gesture. He still treated me as if I was still a child although I was already 24.

“Come on. You know what I mean.” I swallowed the words. He might not hear it but his hypnotizing stare stunned me a bit.

I broke the eye contact and went to the kitchen to prepare meal.

After we finished our lunch, he went to the couch in the living room and the old TV we had. I followed him after cleaning up and went to sit next to him. After a while, he got sick of the boring TV channels. He turned it off and suddenly lied down, his head on my lap with his arms crossed over his waist and eyes closed. Not too long after, his breath started to even out and in no time at all he was soundly asleep.

“Really now…” I sighed, although it made me somehow lighter as it had been such a long time since he had been this affectionate. I missed this. He could sleep as long as he wanted and I wouldn’t complain. Usually if we're stuck in this position, I would either join him to sleep with my head against the couch or keep his hair, soothing him into deep sleep while admiring his features. Today I chose to do the latter.

“We can go to the beach next month then.” I whispered, running my hand through his hair that was now clean and soft.

“No.” Kyuhyun answered, his eyes slightly opened to meet mine. I knew going to the beach was our monthly activity, but recently he had been working like a bee: from morning to night, from Monday to Sunday, every day. He didn’t take a break each Sunday anymore. I didn’t want to force him on this but at the same, I wanted to give him a much-needed break.

“Look, you are tired today so…” I was cut by Kyuhyun, this time he didn’t open his eyes anymore.

“We’ll go no matter what.” He stated. I knew I shouldn’t argue more, he always won anyways. Still, I feel bad for him. I massaged his shoulder so that he could feel better.

It was 2 P.M when we woke up from the long sleep. The beach was quite a distance away so we had to go early or else we wouldn’t manage to catch the last train for the day.

Kyuhyun seemed extremely tired and sleepy so he slept all the way to the beach. His head was originally resting on the edge of the seat but concerning his comfort, I let him rest on my shoulder instead.

It was a bad choice because when we arrived, I felt like I just carried a tombstone on my left shoulder.

“Ish, why is your head so heavy?” I complained and pouted as we were walking on the sand towards the coast guards, to search for any missing person found.

“Stupid Jaesoo.” Kyuhyun teasingly knocked my head before running away, once again messing with me. His effort was suffice though, as I glared and chased after him. He slept the whole day, so he was more energetic and ran faster than usual. I couldn’t catch up with the guy and gave up

I panted, lying freely on the sand. The sunset looked stunning today.

“Your metabolism . The ladies I met were much better than you, Jaesoo ah.” Kyuhyun was teasing me again. I hated it whenever he complained about me while praising all the women out there he had met (and had been courting).

“Whatever.” I rolled my eyes as Kyuhyun lied down beside me. His breath was normal despite just after a quick run, unlike me who was still trying to catch my breath. It was silent and peaceful, and my eyes were drooping until he suddenly knocked my head with a cheeky grin.

“Hey! I’m not in the mood now!” I glared at him, telling him to cut it out. He stuck out his tongue.

"A penny for your thought?” He asked. His hand was holding mine, carefully examining every crook and patterns on my palm as if he had never seen a hand before.

“Stop working so hard.” I reminded again and to be honest I was tired of repeating myself.

Because just like now, he never listened. He was instead more interested to examine my fingers, especially my ring finger. I turned left to face him.

“Stop ignoring me. And what are you doing with my hand? It tickles.” I tried to release my hand from his grasp, but failed as he was physically stronger anyway. He squeezed my hand instead, intertwining our hands together.

“I need money. Don’t argue, I know what I’m doing. Besides, your brother could handle a few bruises every now and then. It was nothing.” Kyuhyun reassuringly said. I still wanted to argue but I knew it would lead us to nowhere so I swallowed my words. We didn't need to argue on our holiday. Although I wanted to ask if working like before would bring enough money for me, for us and for my damn medical courses. He probably was doing something else, which he didn't bother to tell me. He didn't usually keep secrets, and this was the first time for him being quiet on something. To say I was worried and frustrated would be an understatement.

Just like every other time, the coast guards told us that there was no person found. And as always, Kyuhyun never failed to whisper encouragements to my ears and hugged me tight for as long as I needed him to. That was probably the only thing which kept me at bay, the one thing that kept my sanity string intact. The only reason I kept holding on to the hope that maybe one day my lost parents would come back. Because of him, I still lived with hope.

✭FLASH BACK✭

Third person’s POV

The twelve-year-old Kyuhyun was standing on the cliff

Above him, the dark and thunderous sky. Under him, the harsh waves from the ocean. He stood still for hours, trying to stop crying but the tears he desperately tried to contain kept coming. It was so hard for him to deal with his father. His parents broke up and his mother left. He was stuck with his drunken father, who couldn't care less about him. His father would beat him endlessly, creating new bruises everyday. His father got sick of him so one day, and left him here after telling the poor child that he would come back 'later'. He would never come back, Kyuhyun could tell.

He knew what had befallen to him and instead of yelling for his dad, he climbed up the cliff and cried for hours, fresh wounds still painting his lithe body. He hated this life. He just wanted to jump off the edge of the cliff to end his suffering. It would just be a split second of pain and then he would be free.

He had nothing left, he didn’t have father or mother, he didn’t have friends. His father never let him go to school (as he was a broke) nor let him play with the kids next door. The old man made him stay in the house and command him as if he was a slave and not his own son. He didn’t have any relatives as far as he was concerned. He had no one beside him. There was no pull in resisting. Just one jump and he would be free.

And then suddenly, a pair of slender arms pulled him back by the waist

It was a little girl, eyes tearful and crestfallen, matching perfectly with Kyuhyun's own.

***

“My parents are going home soon, so you can stay at my house, oppa. Our house isn’t big but you are smaller than my parents, aren’t you?”

“Why do you want to help me?”

“Because I know you need it! So… do you want to stay at my house? We will play with my neighbors; some of them are in your age. Also, please don’t swim in this weather. My parents went in this weather and…” The same crestfallen look again, and Kyuhyun instantly understood.

***

“I’ll be your family from now on.”

✭END OF FLASH BACK✭


✭TIME SKIP TO THE DAY KYUHYUN WENT TO DO MILTARY SERVICE✭

“Oppa, please be healthy, eat well and remember to keep warm there, it’s cold out there and…” Kyuhyun raised his index finger to his lips, smiling at me brightly.

“I know. You told me million times already.” I sighed.

“My baby sister, please take care of yourself. I won't be here for awhile, but I trust you. I know you will do just fine.” Kyuhyun patted me on the shoulder gently.  I held back my tears. I wouldn’t meet him for the next two years, and that thought alone scared me. But I was an adult and I knew I have to take care of myself at some point in my life. It had always been Kyuhyun beside me, and now I needed to adapt without him by my side for two whole years. It wasn't an easy task.

I would be struggling to drive the car on my own without Kyuhyun driving for me. I would stay up all night during the days when there were thunders and lightning without Kyuhyun next to me. I would be sad and no one would cheer me up like Kyuhyun did. I would be lonely every 14th of February, every 25th of December and other holidays. I would feel a big hole inside my heart, like I was missing something- or rather someone- that I needed in my life. Someone who played a major role in my life. Someone I couldn't imagine living without.

“I love you, Kyuhyun.” I said quietly. Maybe he would think I meant it in a sibling way but I didn’t care. At least I got the chance to confess even though my true heart wouldn't be heard.

“I love you too, Jaesoo.” Kyuhyun kissed my cheek. He stared at me for while, eyes longing and sad- reminding me of the time we first met- until the bell rang as a call to all the men that were now busy bidding their families goodbye.

“I gotta go.” I fought back my tears as I was sure he didn't want to see me cry. He was level headed and so was I, but for just this once I held myself back. Kyuhyun hugged me tight.

“I’ll come back soon.”

***

It was only later that I found a simple yet elegant ring attached with his handwriting, the quote that I would remember forever: “I can wait for 2 years, as long as you feel the same.”


Author's notes:

So many thanks to purplewallflwer and nightlock08 who helped me with the grammar and word choice! The length even went up by 400 words! That's so cool!

Thank you for requesting! I tried my best but it may not satisfy you. Please leave a comment! dreamshop

PS: I know Kyuhyun will join the miltary service like in the next 2 years (?) but I just had the plot in mind, like right after reading your request! :)