On the line

Jongsica & SHINee generation :Best Place

 

" Well I don't really remember when it began.. it just happened.. i guess?" Sooyoung tried to recall. Seeing how his girlfriend was struggling, Key offered his help.

" It was when I was transferred to the same night dance class with her, that was when we started noticing each other because we ended up taking the train together to and from SM. " Key took a sip from his drink before continuing. His tone was quite eager to continue on. 

He remembered clearly every detail of her on that first night. The train has stopped at the station. As the door open, a familiar tall and slender figure entered. He might have seen her around before. Wearing her school uniform and her hair braided, she was quite attention grabbing. Key wondered how come he'd never seen her around in the train at this hour before. But then again, he had a slight change in his training schedules and he was hoping that his new class would have hot chicks.

Looking around, Sooyoung saw that there was only one seat available. Beside it sat a boy with piercing eyes. His features were sharp and cute. He gave off a little bad boy vibe or someone who was bossy and demanding. She thought it was such a waste for someone with a pretty decently cute looks. She noticed that he was looking back at her now. Realising that she was caught, she quickly slipped into the seat and settled down. His eyes followed her for awhile then slowly returned front.

What was wrong with this guy? He's staring at me as if I'm an alien! Haven't you seen humans before?!

As the train moved on, Sooyoung's eyelids became heavy. It was a long day and she was tired from all those little sleep she was getting everyday. Her eyelid were demanding to be closed. She didn't want to give in. Forcing them open, her head jerked forward. Key coughed off softly to cover his laughter. She looked kinda cute trying to awake. Her head kept jerking back and forth as her eyes pried open every few seconds after they closed. Sooyoung took a deep breath in and focus on staying awake.

After 5 minutes, she was completely asleep. As the train moved forward, everyone in the train leaned to the right sightly, following the gravity. Sooyoung's head moved as well and found their way to Key's shoulder. And so, she unknowingly rested her head comfortably there. Not knowing what to do, Key simply let her lean there. He didn't know her at all. Or when and where she was going to stop. All he knew was that in 15 minutes' time he had to get off and he prayed that she would somehow wake herself up in time. The train moved off quickly as her head jerked outward, ready to hit the ground and send her flat forward. Key immediately cushioned her head in his hand just in time and placed in back on his shoulder. Woah, easy there miss, you're scary..

Another 2 minutes went by, Key felt her head slipping out again. She was falling falling falling- Key grabbed her once again. Securing her on his shoulder his time, he hope she was gonna stay still.

But no.. for the few minutes, key had to keep watching her and made sure that she was gonna fall forward.

As strangers and students continued coming in and out of the train from the various stations, Key realized they looked like a couple. Or at least that was what the stares from everyone was suggesting. He felt a little awkward, not to mention his shoulders were numb. And honestly, he was getting quite irritated with catching her head and making sure she wasn't gonna fall and embarrassed herself. It was tiring and he was getting embarrassd too!

" Next station: xxx" 

. He had to get down soon. He looked down at her. She was sleeping so peacefully he didn't want to wake her up. Pretending to stretch, Key moved his shoulders a little, hoping she would flinched at the movement of his body.

But no. This girl was unbelievable. She stayed still, dead asleep as ever. He tried again, this time it still didn't work. He wanted to give up now as he saw the train drawing closer to the train station. Then suddenly, her phone rang. He felt a slight vibration from her pocket. 

Immediately, Sooyoung sat up straight and fumbled for her handphone.

Key rolled his eyes. God, I SWEAR THIS GIRL IS CRAZY! She wouldn't even move a cm when i was stretching everywhere and now she is wide awake at the slight vibration from her phone. 

" Omg thank you for calling me ! i was sleeping.. !"

on my shoulder, key added in his head.

" okay i'm getting off the train at the next station, i'll be right there! "

next station? right there? at this hour? That's there at that area except.. oh wait. Don't tell me she's a SM trainee too? Key realized. No wonder, i knew long legs of yours would be scouted.. but why are you so annoying!? 

True enough, she was in his class. But what surprised him was that this irritating girl was actually an excellent dancer. Fluid yet powerful at the same time, her dancing style was great. It was hard to hate her completely. 

And from that night onwards, everyday was the same. For some strange reason, only that seat would be empty and she would fall asleep on his shoulders, and he would catch her all the time. Not that she knew, because Key would wake her up and pointed quietly to the station to signal her that they needed to get off now, and she would rushed off quickly without noticing that she was sleeping on his shoulder. Just like that, weeks went by. Key's irritation was something that he slowly got used to and soon before he knew it, it became a habit that he didn't really mind. 

Then one day, his mother had told him that he didn't need to take the train anymore, she was gonna fetch him to SM after school. 

" THANKS MUM! " he said excitedly. Now I don't have to rush off all the time and that crazy girl.. oh . Who is gonna catch her stupid head from falling and wake her up now? he wondered. Then he realized he didn't and shouldn't be worrying about that weird tall girl! He ordered himself to snap out of it.

The next day as he entered the dance studio, he realized she wasn't there. Were could she be? Was she late? Did she missed her stop? 

" Let's get started! " the instructor clapped his hands. Key looked around again to check for her, still not there.

Lesson ended and she still wasn't there. Where did that silly girl gone to? 

That night he didn't know why but somehow he couldn't stop worrying about her. What was going on? His phone rang and he took it up.

It was one of those girls from SM. They wouldn't stop calling him. He knew that he should pick it up and enjoy the conversation with whoever that was calling him, but instead, he cut it and laid on his bed. Still thinking about that girl.

Next day she still wasn't there when he arrived. And this went on for about a whole week. He was worried now. He knew it was weird and strange to do this but he plucked up his courage to anyway.

Walking up to a bunch of his senior female trainees, his legs was almost shaking. Everyone could say that he was probably one of the most popular trainee around his age ( besides Minho) but still, he was nothing compared to the "9 goddesses of SM". But knowing that Minho was working for one of the girl's father, he figured she would be nice to him. On the outside he might sound like he couldn't care less about anything or much less afraid of anyone, but trutfully, he was nervous now.

" Hey.. yuri noona right? I'm minho's friend." She smiled, confused at what was going on. The rest of the girls stared at him, puzzled.

" Hey what happened to your friend? You know the tall one, " his hand began moving up as he describe her.

" tall? oh you mean sooyoung? " 

" sooyoung? that's her name? yeah.. " what a weird name.. who would name their kid swimming?!

" oh she's been sick and poor girl's been getting lost all the time and running late for class because she's always oversleeping on the train" she told him with a sigh. 

" Oh right.. okay well i hope she comes back soon then. Thanks anyway. "

" And you are?" Jessica asked coldly and fiercely, suspicious of the boy that was asking about her friend.

" Key, kim ki bum"

" Oh. I heard about you from my sister." Jessica didn't even bother looking at him as she said that. She continued doing her stretching. 

As key went home, he made up his mind. It was crazy he knew. Because whatever, all he knew was her name but somehow he couldn't get her out of his head. 

" Mum! You don't have to pick me up anymore, I wanna take the train myself! " he shouted as he entered the living room.

The next day, he took the train. But as the train approached the station, he straightened up. He looked up at the window infront of him and checked his reflection. He pulled on a straight uncaring face and made sure he looked as emotionless as he could.

The door opened, he looked up, searching for her as the crowd entered.

where are you?

where are you?

Oh. there she is.

Sooyoung looked at the seat that key used to sit. He haven't been taking the train for awhile now. What happened? She wanted to know but because she haven't been to class for so long she couldn't even find out. 

But today, he was back. Sooyoung looked down because she had to hide her smile. She missed him.

Taking a seat beside him, her heart was beating fast. It was a fluttering feeling.

As she fell asleep once again, this time heart warmed, knowing that he was beside her. Making sure that she was fully asleep, Key carefully took her phone out and punched his number in. Then he called his cell so that he could get her number. 

The next few days, the train had strangely gotten much more crowded as the seat that was always empty beside him was now taken by some random woman. Having no choice, sooyoung sat elsewhere. Lucky for her, she had learned to stabilized her self and not fall forward when she sleep. So at least she didn't need to be looked after. But still.. she had to sit beside a stranger now. He knew that would happen one day.. that's why he had to have her number. As the train pulled closer, he called her, hiding his phone in his bag. She flinched and woke up. Good.

Days went by, finally that seat that sooyoung would be beside him was empty. But as she entered in, he got up and moved to the opposite seat. Sooyoung didn't understand. His face was still as expressionless as ever. She didn't get it. Why was he like that? Did she do something wrong or irritate him? Or maybe he realized it was ore comfortable to be seating away from her? 

She couldn't stop worrying about it the whole way. About everything.. she was confused. Even that strange number that seemed to wake her up everytime she had to wake up.. it was weird. But she was thankful. Well, at least there's someone out there who was watching over her, not like this mean guy that was staring at her again. She sighed.

A couple of weeks went by as Key continued to keep his distance from her, seating opposite from her even if there were other empty seats. No matter what, he just wouldn't sit beside her.

But one day, as the train moved on, Sooyoung sat there wide awake. She wasn't sleepy today. Key had company today. Two other boys were seating beside him. She recognized one of them to be Jonghyun, that good-looking one that everyone's been talking about. Another was Minho, the one Yuri was going crazy for. Strangely, everything was not mundane and she wasn't tired at all.But knowing that she would have to look at his sulky straight irritating face again, she decided to close her eyes. Looking at such an angry face is quite scary. As she heard the train announcing her stop, she slowly opened her eyes a little. Key was doing something in his bag. 

Her phone rang. She jumped a little. 

" Dude, are you like calling her?!" Minho teased Key. His hand reached up to cover his mouth but it was too late..

" No of course not are you crazy? i'm calling krystal. you know i've been talking to her lately.."

Sooyoung looked up at Key. He got up abruptly and walked out of the train fast like lighning. Sooyoung smiled, this time wider than ever. Everyone around began giving her weird stares as she followed him out. That night during a short break, Sooyoung decided to walk up to key.

" hey.. thanks." 

" what for?"

" You know.. i mean." Key pretended to continue drinking his water. Good thing he was sweating from all that dancing. Because she probably couldn't tell that he was breaking out in cold sweat then.

" By the way I'm sooyoung,"

" I'm key" he said and looked back at her with a little smile. It was the first time he'd ever smile at her.

That night, as she returned home, she texted him.

" Hey, why do you always keep that straight face?- sooyoung"

" It's my style- Key"

" You're weird.. - Sooyoung"

And the conversation went on. And because that phone brought them together, it will always have a significance to both of them. Perhaps that was why they loved talking on the phone so much. Well, that was what that connected them in the first place.

--

" Speaking of which, you know i still don't get it. Why did you stop seating beside me?" she looked at him. He didn't answer.

" Were you angry with me?"

" No.."

" Then why? She folds her arms,looking buffaloed and almost accusing. " Why?"

Everyone was staring at him now. Key felt uneasy. God, why cant they just do their own things and have their own conversations after he'd finished telling them the story?

" Whyyyyy?" the girls asked him again. The boys were nudging him too.

" I wanted to watch you sleep.. it was quite.. pretty. " he said quickly and pretended to ask Onew about something else that was completely random.

" AWWWWWW~ " everyone taunted. Sooyoung blushed as she watched over Key, eyes gently and adoring.

" STOP IT! " Key threw pillows at everyone and they all began fighting back. 

They spent the next few hours watching a movie together because it was too cold outside to do anything else.

" Are you cold? " Jonghyun whispered over at Jessica. She smiled and shook her head. Everyone was cuddling under their blankets and Jonghyun had been wanting to do that with her too. He was secretly hoping that she would say yes but seeing how it wasn't going as planned, he didnt care and got her the blanket anyway. He wasn't gonna cuddle with her and let everyone see it.

Pulling Jessica closer under the blanket, Jonghyun could feel her body stiffen under his hug but eventually she began to warm up to him. As the minutes went by, he could feel her shoulder ease and relax as her head gently rest against his chest. His hands slowly reached out to interlock hers. They were soft and delicate. He wanted to hold them for as long as he could.It was such a lovely feeling.

--

Note: Hey guys!!! SO SO SORRY for being so late! I was hospitalized for a short while after i fell sick but dont worry im fine now ^^ just need a little more rest. And im terribly sorry that i probably wont be able to reply all your comments individually for the next few chapters cos im not supposed to spend too much time on the laptop for the time being.But please please do keep the comments coming, i absolutely appreciate and love reading them! :)  i'll do a loooong update soon yeah? Thank you <3