Of everything that happened, this part mattered

Jongsica & SHINee generation :Best Place

" Oppa, what're you doing? " Krystal sounded bubbly.
" Oh nothing much I was just heading to the practice room " he slowed down his steps. He could hear loud music blasting from the room but he could barely hear Krystal.
" Now? But it's already late..mm.. why don't we go grab a bite together?

Jonghyun was running out of steps. Having no choice left, he pushed the door opened to see Jessica doing her waves along the music.

Damn. Jessica you're such a tease. He thought to himself, forgetting to reply the girl on the line.

" Oh Oppa's kinda busy now,next time alright? " Jonghyun said in attempt to chase her off the phone.

" But i wont be free anytime soon.. Oppa you don't have to worry about me staying out late actually you know, I could come find you now..- "

" Be a good girl and listen to Oppa, go to sleep okay? goodnight ! " He cut the line.

" Good work " Jonghyun leaned against the glass and smiled at Jessica.

. How could I have thought that he was serious about me? " oppa is kinda busy now? " Yeah right.. Oppa is busy fooling around with another girl just as stupid as you. And listen to oppa? Screw you, how dumb can his stupid toys possibly get to listen to his bull? And did he say next time? I must find out who's that little . Jessica thought to herself as she pretended not to hear him speak through the music.

Her ears have always been sharp.And it proved to be of great help in times like this. She thought. Times where I was about to let my guard down and be fooled by a player like Kim Jonghyun.

Seeing that she clearly did not hear him, Jonghyun walked up to the cd player and turned it off.

" Jessica Jung. You owe me a date. So what do you say if I pick you up tomorrow night at your dorm around 8pm? " Jonghyun said in the most adorable puppy eyes and smile he could produced, thinking back on how she grabbed his face and kissed him.

Jessica could not believe him. There he was, trying to hit on her when he just got off the phone with another girl. If she was gonna let him get whatever he want with her, sooner or later she would end up like those girls on the phone, thrown away and rejected. And she didn't wanna get hurt. Not like she did with Jaejoong.

" Hello? Are you listening? " Jonghyun waved at her.

" I don't have all the free time in the world like you. I can't go out with you tomorrow" she replied coldly and began walking towards the player to play the music again.

As she approached it, Jonghyun reached out to grab her wrist, " okay then how about tonight? i don't see what's wrong with tonight too".

She hated him for making her feel this way. And she hated to break promises. Because she would hate anyone if they did that to her. She stepped back and pulled her wrist swiftly and harshly out of his hold.

" I have to practice " she stared back at Jonghyun.

Jonghyun stared back right into her eyes. And for that moment, she thought she saw a glint of sincerity and sadness in his eyes. She was becoming weak.

Feeling guilty, she opened to reply but before a word could escaped, he simply turned around and began walking away from her. Step by step.

She was hurt. And angry at him. For walking away and giving up just like that.She didn't understand why she was becoming angry at him. She was the one who rejected him despite her promise yet she was actually angry at him for leaving when she told him to? Why was she acting this way? She was confused.

Fine. She thought.She immediately turned around, closing her eyes to get a hold of herself.

She took a deep breath to cool herself down and opened her eyes. It was pitch darkness. Wait. She opened her eyes already. Was she blind? Is this some kind of a side effect that came with over-practicing? She panicked.

But before she could register anymore things, she heard a voice shouting across the room.

" Well then, practice's over now ".

She carefully took another step forward and stretched out her arms to feel for something, just anything, to guide her through the darkness.

Just then, she felt two warm hands resting on her thin waist.

" Just trust me, " Jonghyun whispered into her ears and she felt his body slowly stepping up behind her. And as his body came in contact with her back, she felt a warm tingling sensation running through her whole body.

Slowly and carefully, Jonghyun led her forward with his hands on her waist and cushioned her with his full body whenever she took a step back.

For the whole 5 minutes that they struggled to get out of the room in the darkness, Jonghyun was happy. Because for the first time, with her tiny and fragile body in his hands and against his body, he felt needed by her. She was scared and she was leaning on him, to ask for protection and to be cared for. And he was more than happy to do just that. He wanted to so badly to move those hands forward and grab her into a tight warm hug and to kiss her on her head and told her not to be afraid. But he couldn't.
Even then, he was just happy. Even if it was just for that 5 minutes. For the first time, he was confident that maybe she could like him too, somehow.

As Jonghyun whispered into her ear to reach for the door infront of her, she was reluctant to do it. Because she didn't want it to end. She wanted to just stay there so near and protected by him. And she wanted to be able to be near him and not hide her feelings like she would have when the lights are on.

" Open it " Jonghyun said again as he moved his hand to grab her trembling cold hands. His warm hands led hers forward and turned the door knob.

And the light came through. She didn't want him to let go.

But he did.

Afraid of her possible sudden withdrawal, Jonghyun stepped back and let go of her. He was expecting some kind of a dolphin pitched scream following with cold icy stares and harsh words for touching her but instead, she said nothing. She simply took a step forward and said behind her shoulders
" So where are we going? "

. He didn't anticipate this. He didn't plan ! He had no plans !  Jonghyun was panicking as he began walking forward to catch up with her.