9. Agony

Agony

After school, he wait for her at the school’s gate. They walking home together till they only  halfway from her house, he suddenly doesn’t  feel her presence besides him. He turn his body and look back, he saw her standing and looking back  at him.

“Why did you stop?” He ask her.

“My legs hurt,” She said it while pouting and look down at the street. She looks cute. Wait, did I just said cute? He mumbled it but quickly shook his head.

“Aissh….you’re….,” Before he could finish his words, he look at her. She kind a look sad, her head hung low than before. He doesn’t have heart to say anything more, afraid that might hurt her feeling.

“Fine, hop on,” He bent down and then he feel some pressure on his back. He know she was on his back. He can’t see it clearly but he still can see the glimpse that she smiling widely right now just like a kid after gotten a candy. He smiles too thinking that she really know how to manipulating people, doesn’t she?  If not why did I keep following her order like a fool? He start to admit what Key had said to him but he rub it off by thinking that she maybe hurt her leg and he try to be the nice guy as he can be. Tch…the same excuse again, Amber.

“You know, you seriously need to lose some weight. I might get a backache and I’m gonna blame it on you,” After he said that, he get a smack on his head. He shriek in pain. Geez…this ice princess seriously likes to hit people.

“Yah! Are you trying to say I’m fat? I’m super thin and fit, ok!” She say it in irritate. She never can handle it good when someone say something about her weight. She’s maybe not as thin as the model on the stage that doing the catwalk but she’s still not fat, she certainly sure for that. A couple minutes later, her eyes caught of something. She’s blinking her eyes.

“Stop!” Then, she jump off from his back. He’s thinking what this ice princess up too after making he stop his tracks. He saw her running leaving him across the road.

“Yah! Watch out!” He feel  worried since the ice princess was crossing the road without looking right and left. He following her after that. Now, he know why the ice princess was so in hurry leaving him behind. He saw her happily eating the ice cream that she just bought it. She is to absorb eating her ice cream till she didn’t realize he was standing in front of her.

“You should watch the road  before you cross,” He said it with full of care. She only smiles at him still too much absorb eating her ice cream. He only shook his head, he wonder if she ever heard what he just said.

“Emmm……yummy….you want some? It’s mango,” She ask him.

“No, thanks. I don’t like mango,” He said it nonchalantly. She turn her face to him. She raising one of her brow.

“What kind of weird didn’t like mango? Everyone love it,”

“Said someone  who doesn’t like cucumber and apple,” He said that to her. She only rolled her eyes. He watch her eating her ice cream, just like a kid, adorable, cute. He grin while looking at her. She keeps smiling in satisfaction likes someone who doesn’t eat ice icream for years. Without she noticed it, he snapped a couples of her picture eating the ice cream. Too adorable, to resist it.

“Take this,” He said to her while giving her the tissue. She give him a questioning look.

“There’s something left here,” He point his finger at his face.

“Huh? Where? Where?” She keep asking him and try to wipe it. She feel embarrased for having a smudge on  her face likes a kid. At last, he take the tissue from her hands.

“Here,” He wipe it for her. A couple more wipe then her face already clean. She feels a little bit heat on her face and her cheek is blushing. She doesn’t know why. It’s because she embarrased or it’s because her face only inches apart from him? She shook her head.

“Likes a kid,” He said that to her and grin after he wipe her face. She’s blushing more. Aissh…can’t her body react normal and stop blushing.

“It wasn’t my fault,” She said it nonchalantly try to hide her reddened face.

“Yeah, you’re totally innocent. Blame it on the ice cream,” He smirk at her. She stick out her tongue toward him and continue finishing her ice cream. A couple steps more then they arrive in front of her house.

“See you tomorrow,”  He bid her goodbye. She only nodded and watch his back becomes further away.

It’s last almost a week. They keep going and back from school together. Eating lunch at the back of the school. That’s the moment she learn that he really a good cook and knowing that he’s been friend with those three Key, Taemin, Onew and his bestfriend is his neighbour also could be a part of his family. He’s one of the photography club’s member because he loves taking pictures. He lives alone and he working part time at the convenience store.

He’s also get to know her more after spending more time with her. He know that he befriend with Seohyun since the first day she got in school and could be her only true friend since he never seeing her with someone else. She have a sister that attending a boarding school at San Francisco. He wonder if her sister were  just like her or different since both of them were Jung’s. He know that she likes to singing and dance. Now, he think that this ice princess wasn’t that bad. Both of them keep  in touch with calls and message  even most of the time it’s more to bickering than a normal conversation. But that’s doesn’t stop them, it just that’s how they communicate with each other.

But in this two days, he noticed it that she keep been avoiding him. When he went to her house to pick her up, she already went to school and she never came during lunchtime at the back of the school even when he messaging her that he waiting for her. She always say that she can’t walking home  together with him and when he ask her why, she only say she’s busy. She keep avoiding him, no more message or calls.

 She even did reply any of his calls or message, no matter how many times he sent it. He want to know why but how can he if she keep avoiding him. His mind can’t stop thinking and wondering. Did he say something that hurt her? Or did he do something wrong? Arrggghh……this is totally depressing him. He doesn’t know why he’s been reacting like this. Maybe he already getting used to her presence. Maybe it’s already becomes his habit. He doesn’t know. This ice princess totally make him insane.

 Till the weekend, she still avoiding him. He just finish his part time job. He take the morning shift today since he already promise the Kim’s family to have a dinner together but his mind was somewhere else. He keep mumbled to himself.

“Amber,”

Should I call her? Or maybe a text?

“Amber!”

But what for? She’s not going to pick it up or even reply.

“AMBER!!” He turn his face at the voice.

“Ooh…hi, hyung,”

“Hi, hyung? Seriously? I’m almost lost my voice calling for you,”

“Sorry hyung. I didn’t hear it,”

“Speak up,”

“Huh? What?”

“I know there’s something wrong. Tell me, Am,”

“It’s nothing, hyung. Really,”

“Oh, really? You’ve been staring at the phone for half an hour, you didn’t hear me calling in front of your face for three times. THREE TIMES, Amber. How’s that possibly nothing?”

“You just been exaggerated hyung,”

“Come on, Am. You know you can tell me anything. Besides I’m not your friend for nothing,” He look at Taeng. Really look at him. Then, here we goes again. He  tell him the hold story of him and the ice princess.

“Wait! That’s mean I’m the last one who know about this,”

“Sorry hyung,”

“Yah! Even Hyo noona that working with you know earlier than me who live beside you,”

“Hyung…”

“Fine. Back to your ice princess, what’re you going to do now?”

“I don’t know, hyung. She keep avoiding me and I don’t know why,”

“Ask her. Face to face,”

“How?”

“I don’t know. Wait for her at her class. Confront her.” When Taeng told him that, he start to think. That’s does makes sense. If she run away, he will come after her. The conversation stop when Taeng’s mother calling for him.

“Kim Taeng!”

“Oh, . I forgot umma ask me to call you for dinner. Now she’s going to nagging at me for being late. Come on, Amber. Dinner’s time,” Then, him and Taeng walk from his house to Taeng’s house that just right the next door.

“Oh, Amber. It’s good to see you,” Said Taeng’s mother to him when they step into Taeng’s house . She give him the warmest hug, a motherly hug.

“It’s good to see you too, Kim umma,” He reply back to her.

“Umma, what about me?” Taeng said to his mother while pouting his mouth.

“Aissh….this little kid. Already grown up but still acting like a baby and I’ve told you to call  him right away,” Kim umma said that to her son but still smiling and gave her son a hug. She like to son.

“Ummaa…I did called him just taking a little bit of time,” Taeng whine.

“Why’re all of you still standing in front of the door? Come inside,” Taeng’s father watching them for a while.

“You can’t let the guest standing outside. Besides the dinner are going to cold,” He added.

“Arasso…arasso…we’re coming now, appa,” Taeng said to his father. All of them step into the living room and Taeng’s father hug him.

“I’m barely see you now, Amber,”

“Sorry Kim appa. A little bit busy with school and work,” He said it with a apologetic smile.

“It’s ok, just don’t forget to take care of yourself,”

“Deh, Kim appa. I will,”

Being with Kim’s family makes he feel like he have a family again after he lost his mother. It feels so good and makes he forget all his problem, at least for now. After the dinner, he’s back to his house. His mind keep thinking what Taeng just said to him. Maybe that’s the right thing to do. No matter what he’s going to confronting her tomorrrow. He determined.