20. Agony

Agony

“I’m sorry sir, you can’t go in there now,” One of  the nurse said that to him. The conformity, that only he can gave to them now and let them do their job. He only can look at her till the door completely closed and he only can wait.

“Hey, she’ll be fine. Don’t worry to much,” Taeng said to him. He only can gave him a bitter smile. Head hung low. Luckily, when that happened he manage to called Taeng and ask Kim appa to sent them to the hospital.

“Thanks hyung for sending us here,” He thanked him.

“It’s ok, that’s what friends do. Help each other,” Taeng pat lightly on his shoulder.

“You can go now, hyung. You got school to attend,”

“Hey, you too. But I think you’re going to skip it today,”

“Yeah, I guess. I can’t leave her now. I might take a leave from work too,”

“I can help you. I call Hyo noona and the school,”

“Thanks again hyung. That’s really helpful,”

“Hey, stop the thank you thing. We’re friends, right,” Their conversation ended when Taeng answering his call. He just keep waiting outside the door. Hoping and keep hoping that things going to be better. Taeng’s voice waking him up from his thought.

“Appa’s here. He brought my school’s uniform and bag. I’m going to school straight from here,”

“Ok, hyung. Say thanks to Kim appa for helping us,”

“Sure. Call me if anything happened or you need anything.” Taeng said to him while waved at him. He only nodded and smile a little until Taeng's back was no longer visible. He still waiting there, alone.

Finally, the door opened. A young and good looking male doctor came out from the room.

“Krystal Jung’s family?” The doctor asked.

“No, they weren’t here. Her family were in San Francisco,” He answered the doctor.

“Oh, I see. I’m Dr. Park. I’m the doctor incharge for Krystal Jung and you’re?” The doctor introduced himself and extended his hand for a shake.

“I’m Amber, Krystal’s friend. I’m the one who brought her here. How’s she?” He asked Dr.Park while shaking his hand. His worried and anxious was plastered on his face.

“She’s stable now. May I know how this happened?” He heaved sigh of relief after what the doctor said. At least he can smile a little now hearing that the ice princess was stable.

“Well, she got a high fever since 3 days ago with flu and coughing non stop. She’s been vomiting multiples of time. She hate medicine so I was barely had her take an aspirin last night. Suddenly this morning I found her fainted in the bathroom with blood all over her face,” He explained it to the doctor. Dr. Park only nodded.

“What about her finger? We found it when we checked on her,”

“Finger?” He asked the Dr.Park back. Confusion on his face.

“Yes, her index finger that had been wrapped with a plaster,” When Dr.Park said that, something clicked in his head.

“Oh, yes. She told me it’s the paper cut,”

“Paper cut? For how long?” Dr. Park furrowed his brows.

“I don’t know. I didn’t ask her that. There’s something wrong about that, doctor?”

“Well, I might have some answers for the cause but we still have to run some test to confirm it,” Dr. Park told him.

“Oh, ok. Thanks, doc. Can I see her now?”

“Of course. Just make it low, she still needs to rest,”

“Ok, thanks once again Dr. Park,” He bowed at the doctor. The doctor only nodded and smile at him.

He entered the room. He saw her lying on the bed, her face was cleaned, no more blood. Her  hand  been attached with the IV line that inserted something in her body, medication maybe. He thought. He take a sit on the chair beside her bed. He look at her deeply. Her face still pale but is better than before and her lips wasn’t that bluish anymore. He her cheek gently.

‘Don’t scared me like that again, princess’. He mumbled. He take her hand and interwined their finger, it fits perfectly. He doesn’t know how to describe what he feels right now. Only one thing for  sure,  he’s happy since she’s in a good condition now and in good hands. And he never ever want to leave her anymore, afraid that the same thing might happened again. He doesn’t know why but he feel the needs to protect her, to be with her whenever or wherever she needs and he only can feel blissful when he saw it with his own eyes that she’s happy and healthy again. Yes, that’s his goal now. He thought. With that, he fall to deep slumber with his hand still interwined with her.

He awake when he feel her finger moved. He rubbed his eyes and take a closer look at her. Her eyes slowly opened and turn to him. He smiled at her while her cheek with his hand. He felt more than glad to seeing her eyes opened again.

“Where am I?” She asked him a little bit low. While her eyes still wandering around the white building.

“Hospital. I brought you here,” He told her. She try to get up, he quickly hold her.

“Oo..easy there. You still weak,” He added. His tone full concern.

“I feel numb. I want to sit,” She said it. He sigh but still helped her to sit on the bed and put the pillow behind her back.

“What happened, Am?” She ask him again.

“You fainted in the bathroom. Don’t you remember?” A little worried in his tone. She rubbed her temple, some flash of the heavy headache, nosebleed and black out came across her mind.

“Yeah, I remembered. Thanks Amber,” She said to him while smiling. She feel really glad since he was there. She doesn’t know what going to happened to her if she was alone.

“It’s my responsibility, Krys,” Their conversation suddenly been stopped when someone barged into the room.

“OH, GOSH, KRYS! Don’t scared me like that. You  don’t know I’m almost get a heart attack when I got the call from Amber,” Seohyun rushed to her and hugged her tightly. The feeling mixed up, half relief and sad. Sad because her friend is sick and in the hospital and relief because she seeing her now and she’s waking up.

“I’m fine, Seohyun-ah. You just worried to much,” She hugged her back and release it for a while.

“But still, don’t do like that again,” Seohyun pouting with half sobbing. Her tears can’t be holding anymore. It’s suddenly rolling down on her cheek.

“Oh, Seohyun-ah. Don’t cry. See, I’m ok now,”  She wiped Seohyun tears and smiled at her. Seohyun smiled at her back.

“You girls, such a dramatic,” He smiles while looking at them. Both of the girl glaring at him. He only show a faking scared face.

“Quite, Am. I bet you also cried when Krystal fainted,” Seohyun said to him while narrowed her eyes. She crossing her arm on her chest. He’s flustered.

“I… I…did…not,” He stuttered a little and gave the girl his dorky smile. The girls chuckles back at him.

Later, the door opened and a doctor came through it. The doctor smiled at them.

“Oh, you’re awake? That’s good,” The doctor said when he saw her sitting up on the bed.

“I’m Dr. Park. The doctor incharge for your case,” The doctor introduced himself.

“Krystal,” She answered it simple and smiled at Dr. Park.

“May I checked on you?” Dr. Park ask her.She only nodded. The other two gave the doctor some space to do his job. When he’s done doing the check up, he’s writing something in her patient’s chart.

“You look better but still need to stay in ward till you’re 100% healthy again,” Dr. Park said to her. She feel a little bit frustrated even she try to covered it. She really hate to stay in the hospital. The other two only nodded hearing what the doctor said.

“By the way, I already got your result. After we run some test on you, we finally got the answer,” Dr. Park added. She showed a puzzling look with Seohyun since she just been there so she basically have no idea what the doctor talking about except Amber.

“Yes, the cause for your symptoms. It’s because the paper cut,” Dr. Park said.  She look more confused and take a look at her finger that nicely wrapped and new. She look back at the doctor and just like the doctor understand her, he start to explained it to them.

“Don’t  worry, we already cleaned the wound. The paper cut that  you’ve got had been infected by a microorganisms that we called staphylococcus aureus bacterium. The microorganisms are in the environment even on our skin. 40 per cent people carry it typically in moist areas like armpits or nasal passages. The skin acts as a barrier to make it safely stay outside of our body but when we got wound like in your case, paper cut. The paper cut becomes like an open door for the microorganisms to entered inside the body,” Dr. Park explained to them.

“What about the nosebleed?,” He asked the doctor.

“That’s because of her flu, non stop coughing and also the high fever that she got,” Dr. Park answered him and he nodded. Dr.Park continued his explaination.   

“Usually our immune system will detects and destroying it so the wound heals. However, if the microorganisms present in large numbers which this can be or if the person is very young, elderly or unwell, the ability to fight infection may be compromised. And that’s how I found another thing,” Dr. Park said while keep looking at her.

“Another thing?” She asked the doctor.

“Yes, after a couple of test, the result also show that your body truly indeed lack of nutrition and that’s maybe the reason of your immune system had weakened,”

“But I eat,” She said try to reasoning.

“Itsn’t just about whether you eating or not but also what do you eat and the benefit for your body,” The doctor told them. Then, Seohyun speak up.

“Fast food junkie and everyday ordering taking out,” Seohyun  told the doctor while looking at her. She glaring at Seohyun and gave her a look that showed do-you-want-to-die. Seohyun rolled her eyes, ignoring her.

“Oh, don’t you  give me that kind of look, Krystal. I’m stating the fact,” 

“But her house barely have anything. The kitchen and fridge were empty,” He told Seohyun. Seohyun look at him and then look back at her.

“Oh really? What about at the bottom of the cabinet?” Seohyun said it while still looking at her.

“The bottom? It’s locked,” He said but still looking confused.

“Precisely, she hide all of her food there. She afraid someone might steal it from her,” Seohyun gave him the answer. He look at her while giving her an unbelievable look. She look down and bit her lower lip. Dr. Park grinning while looking at them.

“Well, from what your friend just said, I assumed that you eating habit wasn’t healthy. While you’re still here and hopefully, even when you’re discharge you will eat a proper and healthy meal. Your body need it, Krystal,”

“Don’t worry, doctor. We’ll make sure she will,” Seohyun said to the doctor. She only looks down, dissatisfaction plastered on her face.

“I hope so. You’re lucky this time, if only you a little bit more late, you could paralyzed or death,”

“Death? You mean she could die?” He asked the doctor. His face changed completely, showing that he just got a big shocked. A sudden pang into his heart just like someone stabbed it with a sword. A world without the ice princess, something that he doesn’t even want to imagine it. The feeling of sad, worried, anger and mostly guilty filling up in his chest.  

“Yes, it is. So, Krystal I’m going to leave you with your friend and have a good rest,”

“Thank you, doctor,” She said to the doctor. The other two bowed to the doctor even his mind still lingering with what the doctor just said. Dr.Park bid them goodbye and leave the room.

“See, I’ve told you before, you might get killed because of that junk food,” Seohyun said to her sternly while crossing her arm on her chest.

“Well, I’m still not dead yet,” She said it nonchalantly with such an innocent face. Seohyun shook her head. This ice princess certainly have a rockhead, such a stubborn girl.

“Krystal, please be serious. This is not something that you can play with, you could DIE! Don’t you get it!?” He suddenly snapped on her. She startled and also Seohyun. Seohyun never see this part of him.

“I know, the doctor just said it but I’m here and ALIVE. Can’t you see it!?” Feeling irritated and annoyed, just like everything is her fault. She rolled her eyes toward him. She didn’t asked for this nor she like it either. It’s already happened.

“Just know it, it’s not enough, Krystal,” His tone still sound hard and anger. Seohyun can feel the tense between two of them.

“Then what do you expect for me to do, cry for staying alive? I’m still not that pathetic, ok,” She’s glaring at him. He smirk at her.

“I don’t know, Krystal. You’re a smart girl. Maybe, at least take care better of yourself before someone else did it for you,” He said it sternly and sarcastic.

“Oh, now you’re saying  that you’re regret for taking care of me. Fine! Don’t be, you don’t have to. Go wherever you want to go, do whatever you want to. You’re free from me and I don’t give a single damn care about it!!”  She yelled at him.

“What?! You know what, suit yourself. I’m happy to be free from you and I’M ALSO DOESN’T GIVE A SINGLE DAMN CARE ABOUT YOU ANYMORE!” He said it clearly and stormed out from the room. Seohyun stunned at there, doesn’t know what to do. She try to approached Krystal but only been stopped by her.

“Leave me alone. Please, Seohyun.” She said to Seohyun. The sound of sobbing can be heard from her.

She turn her back to Seohyun and covered  herself with the blanket. Seohyun let out a heavy sigh and went out from the room.

Meanwhile, there’re a pair of eyes witness this and heard everything that happened inside the room.