19. Agony

Agony

Suddenly, he heard the running water from the bathroom along with a sound like someone was throwing up. He knocked  the bathroom door but before he could do it, the door was opened, revealing her petite body. Holding at the door, try to support her body to stand up but her legs only in matter of seconds want to giving up. He quickly fling his arm around her waist and carry her in bridal style to the bed. She doesn’t push it away this time, her body feel so weak and exhausted. He put her on the bed and pull the blanket over her.

“Are you’ve been throwing up in there?” He ask her. His eyes showing that he really worried. She only nodded. He sigh.

“How many times?”

“3…5…7…(cough)… I don’t know,” He’s startled. No wonder her body was so feeble.

“That much? Since when?”

“This morning,” Still  coughing.

“What?! And you didn’t even tell me? I told you to call me if anything happened,” His voice sound a little harsh even he try to stay calm.

“You were at school and then, you’re working…(cough..cough).. I don’t want to disturb you,”

“And what that’s supposed to mean?! The school and work more important than your health? What if something happened before, you could faint, you could knocked on the sink or the floor,” His tone was harsh and hard. Yes, because he feel resentful how reckless the ice princess thinking. He could leave the school and work, is not he’ll leave it for fun. It’s a matter of life and death. Somebody is sick.

“I’m just…(cough)..throwing up, nothing more…(cough).. I thought it’ll stop soon,” She said in a low voice. She startled. She never saw him like this. He never use this kind of voice to her not even when they’re bickering. It’s sound grating. She doesn’t like it even she know she’s guilty, it wasn’t she doesn’t want to tell  him but she really doesn’t want to burdened him. He really done much for her, she can’t ask more, right. She thought. Her tears start to welling up in her eyes. A small sniff can be heard from her. He look at her, the feel of guilt suddenly filling up in his chest. He let out a heavy sigh.

“I’m going to make something quick,” He get up and went to the kitchen. Her eyes following his back watching him cooking. She curl up on her bed and pulling the blanket closer covering all her body, the night were still so cold for her to handle. The sound of raining outside of the house lowering the temperature more. It’s dumb brick.

He brought the meal to her after he finish his cooking. He helped her to sit and put a pillow behind her back. He take a sit beside her on the bed, he put the tray on his lap. He blow it before he try to feed her. She shook her head when the spoon was in front of . She try to push it away.

“Not this time, Krystal. You’re going to eat it and I’m going to feed  you,” He gave her his stern look.

“But everything that goes in…(cough..cough)..will come out…(cough).. I hate puking,” She frowned and pouting. He sighed.

“I know but there’s barely anything in your body. Come on Krystal, please eat,” He plead. His tone is softer now. She look at him for a while and opened . He smiled while feeding her. After 7 spoonfuls, she totally can’t take it and he doesn’t want to push her anymore. At least she eat more than the last time. She's back lying down on her bed. He wash the dishes and clean the kitchen. Half an hour later, he heard some rushing footsteps. He saw her in the bathroom. He run to her. She’s throwing her guts out. He rubbed her back, try to helped her. She’s right, everything that goes in will come out. His face full of concern and anxious. He doesn’t feel disgusted when he saw she’s throwing out the half digested food that she ate but he feel worried and care for her more. He need to do something, it can’t keep going like this.

“Are you done?” He ask her after he saw her stop throwing out. She only nodded. The feeling of nausea was still there but there’s nothing more to be throwing out. She feel weak and tired. Her headache make it worse with the nausea. She leaning her back to him. She doesn’t care anymore. She barely to steadily standing  still. He brought her to the bed. He went to the kitchen and take a glass of water. He opened the packaged that Seohyun gave it to him.

“Krystal, I know you hate this but you have to take the medicine this time. You can’t keep vomiting like that. It’s not good,” He told her. He can see the fear in her eyes that also full with dissatisfaction. She shook her head rapidly.

“Please, Krystal. It won’t take long,” He try to coax her.

“No!..No!..(cough..cough)…don’t want that…(cough)…stupid med,” She keep whining.

“I know but please Krystal. It’ll make you feel better,” He try again.

“No!...(cough..cough)…I hate it,” She covered . Her lightly sobs and whimpers clearly can be heard now.

“Don’t want that!...(cough)..ugly med,” She’s still whinning. He let out a heavy sighed, try to calming himself while handling this big fussy baby.

“Krystal, please. If you didn’t take this, you never going to be better,” He try to reasoning her again.

“Liar!... I used to have a fever…(cough..cough)…it’ll be fine..(cough).. I’m just need to rest…” She talk along with her sobs and whimpers. He almost on the edge of losing his patience.

“Rest?! How much longer? You’ve been sleeping for the whole day, you barely eat, you keep vomiting non stop, your body was burning. Don’t you get it?! This is more worst than the fever you usually get,” He’s raising his voice a little. He know he might be overreact this time but he can’t help it. Everything is mixed up, feeling of worried, concern, anger had been piled up in his chest. Her lightly sobs turn louder than before. Her tears rolled down on her cheek.

“You’re mad…(cough)… I hate you…” Her tears pouring down more and more. He ruffled his hair in frust. He might be mess up but he can’t giving up. That ice princess need to take her medicine. He groaned.

“Ok! That’s it, Krystal. Stop crying and take that damn med. Whether you take it or I take you to the white witch,” He said it sternly. His face was totally serious. She look at him. Eyes widely opened when she heard the white witch. The name that she gave to the doctor since she was a kid. It silenced her for a while. She’s thinking the medicine or the doctor. Finally, she gave up. At least, the medicine will never put a long and sharp needle in her body likes the white witch. She knew it since she used to live in the ward when she was a little. They take everything in side her body and run more and more test, more needles, more test tube. She’s scared but no one was there. She cried but she’s alone. She’s afraid if she’s been taken to the doctor, she might ended up in the ward. She doesn’t want that. She really hate it. Being alone in a ward wasn’t her liking. 

“I dragged you to the hospital if I have to,” He added. He’s been serious. He doesn’t care as long as she get better, healthy again.     

“You stupid…(cough)…bad llama,” She told him with her whimpers but still taking the medicine from his hand and swallow it with a glass of water. She’s showing her disgusting face.

“Yeah..yeah. I’m the bad guy, the stupid llama. As long as you take the medicine, I don’t care if I have to be the bad guy again and again,” He said to her with a little smile on his face. He finally succeeded to make the ice princess take her medicine after some protesting, whining and fighting. She rolled her eyes at him while hiccuping. The cause of the crying and sobbing.

“We should change this,” He take the old cold patch and change it with the new one. She try to push away his hand but failed. She’s in her fragile state and he’s too healthy for her to handle. At last, she just let him do what he want to. The vomiting session and crying already take a toll on her body. She quickly drifted off to sleep. He look at her and he take a look outside the house. The rain still pouring down non stop. He sigh. He forget about the umbrella, again. Having no other choice,  he sits on the couch just like the last night but tonight his eyes easily closed and taking him to the dreamland. Fighting with the ice princess over a medicine certainly tiring him.

A loud thunder and storm waking him up a couple hours later, the rain becomes more heavy than before. Then he heard something, likes a sobbing. Someone was crying. He went to her bed. He saw her covering herself with the blanket, a lightly sob can be heard from her, tears staining on her face. He sit beside her and cupped her face with his right hand.

“Krys…hey, are you ok?” He ask her. She look at him but before she could answer him. Another loud thunder along with lighting clearly can be seen outside the window. Shocking both of them but more to her. Suddenly, she jumped on him, tightly holding on his shirt like her life was depending on that. Knowing that the ice princess was afraid. He hugged her and rubbed her back while whispering the soothing words try to calming her down.

“Syyh..it’s ok.. I’m here,” He coax her. His arm tightly holding her.

“I won’t leave you…syyh..it’s ok, Krys,” He added. After half an hour, only the small and low whimpers can be heard from her. He look at her. Her lips bluish. Her face look pale than before. Her eyes half opened. He touch her face and neck. It’s burning! He shake her a little.

“Krys..Krys..are you ok?” He feel worried.

“Cold….so cold..(cough)..” A small whimpers coming out from . She keep saying she’s cold even her body is burning hot. He take the thermometer from the drawer beside the bed and ask her to opened . He put the thermometer inside and waited for 3 minutes while he keep hugging her, keep her warm. He took it out from and look at it. 39.5oC, it’s higher than before. He get up from the bed but her hand still clutching on his shirt. He slowly put her hand  and cupped her face with his hand.

“I’ll be back,” He told her. He went to the kitchen and take the new cold patch along with a glass of water and a bowl fill with ice and water also a small towel. He pull off the cold patch on her forehead and replace it with the new one. He put a straw inside the glass and bring it to .

“Drink this, Krys. You must keep hydrated,” She opened and drink it. He wet the towel in the bowl and tapped on her body lightly, little by little. She try to push that cold things away since she feels so cold even her body temperature showing otherwise.

“Cold…” He heard her small whimpers. Her hands shaking. He can see her body is shivering. Without waiting, he hugged her and rubbed her arm, giving her the warmth that she need.

“You’ll be fine, princess. You’ll be.” He keep repeating, hopefully it’ll become true. He feel scared, her condition was worse than the last night. Her temperature also higher. He afraid that this fever wasn’t just the usual fever. He make a mental note if her temperature still high, the ice princess going to meet the white witch whether she like it or not.

He's awake when he realised the space beside him was empty and his arm was no longer holding anything. His eyes wandering around try looking for her but nothing. He start calling her name.

“Krys…Krystal…where’re you?” Later, he heard sound of running water coming from the bathroom. He knocked the door.

“Krys, are you in there? Krys..” He keep calling for her but no answer. Only the running water can be heard. Lucky him,  the door was unlocked only been closed.

“Krys, I’m going to opened the door now,” When he opened it, his heart stop beating, his eyes widely opened, he’s in shocked and terrified of what he seen right now. If he could, he want to denied and don’t want to believe but it’s happening, in front of his eyes. 

The running water was  coming from the sink, there’s blood clearly on the edge of it. He saw her lying on the cold floor, unconcious, not moving even a limb. and nose was full with blood. There’s blood on her hand and the white sweater that she was wearing also been tainted with the colour of red, the blood. He rushed toward her, holding her tightly on his lap. He keep shaking her body and her cheek, try to wake her up. His tears start to welling up.

“Krys, open your eyes…please… wake up..Krystal. Don’t do this to me, princess. Don’t do this..please..princess,” He keep pleading but her body still stiff, her eyes tightly closed.