39. Agony

Agony

Amber POV

I left Taeng in the studio after what I heard from him. I was shocked of course but I wasn’t mad with Taeng. It wasn’t his fault. It wasn’t like he can choose who’s going to be the model. I left because I need time and space. I need it to clear my mind. I need it to calm my restless heart. I’m gonna need it if I was going to meet her again. Half of me really want to meet her, see her, watching her even from far but half of it was afraid, terrified because what if meeting me will only cause more harm to her, hurting her heart more. How I wish this is just a nightmare and when I woke up in the morning, everything will be back to how it used to be with her in my arm…..but no, it never going to happened again. My train of thought stopped when I saw a couple of kids were playing with the balloons, a little girl was wearing a small crown on her head while holding a red heart shaped balloon. A sudden memory came across my mind, do you still remember, princess?

Flashback

Ice princess’s birthday 24 October

Just like the other night, they cuddle up before going to bed but certainly, half of it because the ice princess can’t go to sleep without the stupid llama beside her, without listening the heartbeat lullaby of him though she never going to admit it. The ice princess was hard headed girl but he doesn’t care because sometimes action speak louder than words even she denied it but how she snuggling closer to him was more than enough to prove it. Besides, the stupid llama also never can sleep without the ice princess safely in his arm. He already used to it, no doubt. Eventhough, they far from each other since she stayed in the dorm while he's in his flat but somehow when they got the time, they took it and spent the time together just like now.

They’re on his bed. She nestled up to him comfortably. Her head was on her favourite spot, on his chest while her finger making varies of circle on his broad chest. She snuggling closer on the crook of his neck while he had his arm tightly wrapped her body and his other arm, gently her back. Silence kept them company till she broke it.

“B…” She called him gently. He can feel her hot breath when she spoke.

“Humm,” He only replied with a hummed.

“Do you know what day is tomorrow?” She asked him.

“Friday,” He answered her without hesitant.

“I know it’s Friday, B. Other than that?” She asked him again.

“Ermm…24 October,” He answered her again after he took a glance at the calendar on his nightstand.

“B, more….? Than just the date, what is it?” She asked him again, a little impatient this time. It took a while before he answered it.

“Emm…..what’s more….emmm….oh yeah, I remember,” He told her.

“Really?” A little high in her tone, excited actually. Her eyes were bright up full of hope.

“I’m going to beach tomorrow,”

“Beach?” She looked at him directly, strangely.

“Yeah, I told you last week that I have to go to the beach at 24 October to help my boss taking the pictures for his friend son’s wedding. Did you forget?” He asked her back.

“Yeah, now I remember,” Her tone sound a little bit off and sad. While he’s confused, felt strange for her sudden change of mood. She back to her current spot but he can felt it, her body a little stiff than before and her hand wasn’t held his middle body, let alone to play on his chest. He hugged her tighter but she just stiff, doesn’t replied back.

“Princess….hey, there’s something wrong?” He asked her with concern. She just shook her head, he can felt her head moving left and right.

“Are you feeling unwell?” He asked her again while feeling her forehead with his palm. She only shook her head again.

“How long you’re going to be at the beach?” She asked him after a moment.

“I don’t know but it might take a long time since that’s his friend son’s wedding. Why, princess? Do you have something to do tomorrow? I can try to ask my boss to take a leave,” He told her.

“No, it’s ok. Your job is much more important. I can handle it. I’ll wait until you’re back,” She said that to him. He her head softly, take in the strawberry candied scent.

“Princess, you’re more important than any other thing in the world. You’re my life, my soul, my air, my everything. You’re my sweet ice princess giant cuddler,” He told her that while she hide her face in his chest, feeling embarrassed for his cheesy words though she still felt sad. He only tittered and hugging her more.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be back before you know it,” He added. She looked up at his face.

“Promise?” A little hope for her, maybe they still can celebrate it. She thought.

“Always,” He told her while giving a sweet chaste kiss on her forehead and a little longer on her lips. She savoured the taste of the sweet kiss from him before both of them settle down, drift off to dreamland.

The next morning, she woke up with a little gloom on her face. Not just because of last night but because she woke up with a cold and large space on the bed, not likes usual with warm hearted hug from him. So, it’s certainly putting her mood in the lowest state. She looked at the clock on the nightstand, there’s a small note from him.

Something came up

Need to be there early

                                      B

‘Hmmph, so much for your my-everything. Not even say good morning or I love you to me, let alone a happy birthday wish for me’ The ice princess huffed in annoyance. She take a shower and quickly back to her dorm. No matter what, she’s still a trainee under the big company so her time mostly in the practice room even sometime they still be given a times off. When she reached the practice room, she started practice just like usual along with the other trainees, tried to distracted herself from thinking too much about the date of today. During the lunch time, she checked her hand phone but she got nothing not even a simple message. But what’s making she felt more strange, no one wished her a happy birthday not even her sister. Jessica usually will be the first one that wished her happy birthday then be followed by her parents and Seohyun but not today, not this year. She quickly rub it off, tried to think positively. Maybe they just busy. She thought. Her thought been shut off when someone tap on her shoulder.

“Hey, what’re you doing?” Naeun greeted her when she saw her sit alone at the corner of the practice room.

“Nothing, just checking my phone,” She answered her. Naeun took a seat beside her and handed her a box. She felt surprised.

“What’s this?” She asked her while Naeun only make a hand sign for her to opened the box. She opened it and she felt overwhelmed. Inside of it was a happy birthday mango cake, her favourite.

“Oo…Naeun-ah, thank you,” She thanked her. At least there’s someone who remembered her birthday.

“Happy birthday, Krystal. May all your dreams come true,” Naeun wished her and gave her a big hug.

“You’re the first person who wished me a happy birthday,” She hugged her back.

“Oh, really? I thought I could be the last since you stay with him last night, don’t you?” Naeun said that to her. She only gave her a bitter smile while shook her head.

“He’s busy. He got a work to do today,” She told her.

“Aww…it’s ok. You can wait till he’s back and eat this cake with him,” Naeun tried to cheer her up. She only nodded and smiled at her.

When her practice ended at 5 p.m, she went straight to his flat. She opened the door and looked at inside it. It’s dark and no sign of him. She sighed. Looks like he still at the beach. She put the cake inside the fridge and waited for him. She looked at her hand phone, still nothing. She already tried to call him but only his voicemail answered her. She sit on the couch and kept waiting.

Knock! Knock!

She doesn’t know when she fell asleep but she woke up when she heard someone knocked on the door. She looked at the clock, it’s 9 p.m. Who’s coming at this time? It can’t be him since he had his own key and that’s when she realised he still not coming home. She walked to the door and opened it.

“Oppa?”

“Hi, Krys,” Taeng greeted him. She asked him to come inside.

“I’m sorry, oppa but Amber….,” Taeng cuts her words before she could finish it.

“I know. He already called me. He said he can’t make it tonight so he want me to accompany you,” Taeng told her. Her face became sullen.

“Oh,” Only that she could say. Her gloomy face and crestfallen clearly can be seen.     

“But since I’m here, let’s go out,” Taeng told her, tried to cheered up her mood.

“No, it’s ok, oppa. I’ll just wait for him here,” She said that to him, tried not to sounded too sad.

“Oh, come on, Krys. You can just stay at home, it’s your birthday,” She looked at him, confusion all over her face.

“I bet you still didn’t celebrate it, don’t you?” Taeng asked her.

“I want to celebrate it with him,” She told him with a low tone.

“Nah, he so stupid to remember your birthday. Come, let’s go celebrate your birthday and show it to him that you’re happy even he forgot about your birthday,” Before she could protest more, Taeng already grab her wrist and dragged her outside to his car.

“Where’re we going, oppa?” She asked him.

“Somewhere. I’m sure you’ll like it,” Taeng told her. Then, only silenced accompany them. They arrived at the beach near the city since she can heard the sound of wave. Taeng brought her to a place with a white screen in front of them. She took a seat in front of it.

“Where’re we now, oppa?” She asked him. She felt suspicious because no one there except both of them. She didn’t even knew where’re they exactly is.

“You’ll see. Can you stay here for a while? I’m going to the toilet,” Taeng told her. Before she could answer him, he already left her. She grasped her fist tightly since she doesn’t felt so good to be left alone at night, at the strange place. Not to mention that it’s only had a light of the campfire and the street lights near the beach. Suddenly, she heard a soft sound, no it’s an acoustic from a guitar. She tried to hear it clearly, she knew this. It’s the Perfect Two by Auburn. Beside the white screen, there’s a white cloth with a shadow behind it. A shadow of a person playing a guitar. Then, something appeared on the white screen.

 Seven reasons why the stupid llama needs the ice princess in his life….

  1. Because only seeing her face in the morning when he woke up can bright up his day. She’s my sunshine.

A picture of her that still sleeping appeared on the screen but the light in the picture clearly shown that it’s already morning. She felt ashamed since she thought she doesn’t look good in that but somehow someone thought that she looks nice. Her face wasn’t gloom anymore.

  1. Her smiles complete him. She’s the every reason for my happiness.

A picture of her smiling widely appeared on the screen. She remembered this, it’s when they celebrate valentine day together. A smile plastered on her face.

  1. When she blinked her eyes, it’s glistening like the star. It means a life for me.

A close up picture of her eyes come into view on the screen. There’s when she closed her eyes also when she opened it at different angle. She didn’t remember when this picture were taken but nevertheless, it’s look good. She’s happy now.

  1. Her kiss make a gloomy day becomes bright. It’s delightful and full of bliss.

A picture when she kissed a flower and her favourite llama plushie. It’s look cute, she thought. A wide grin appeared on her face.

  1. She’s the air for him to stay alive. My personal O2.

A picture of her when she’s at the park widely opened her arms welcoming the breeze that slowly blow her hair, make her look more appealing. She’s definitely can confirmed that he really good in taking pictures. Oh well he’s major in photography, no doubt.

  1. Water is the daily basis in life while she’s his water. My favourite H2O.

A picture of her when she played in the rain, dancing and laughing even the rain were pouring down on her body make her cloths soaked in wet. Once again, she fell in love with him.

  1. B……love you. Her sweet mumbled that he never want to missed. A sleeping beauty.

A picture of her sleeping on his chest only with a dim of light comes from the nightstand. Oh, it was last night, she pretty sure about it since she remembered she wore the pink pyjama last night, the same like in the picture. Another reason for her to keep loving him.

The acoustic suddenly stopped and on the screen right now was a video. She looked at it and her eyes widely opened when Seohyun appeared in the video.

“Hi Krys. I just wanna wish you a very, very, very happy birthday. Sorry I didn’t text you likes usual since Amber asked me not to wishing you because he said he got a surprise for you. Aowww….that so sweet. I hope I’ll get a boyfriend like him. And I’ve got you a present, ask it from the llama. I post it to his house and yes, he asked me to post it to him not to you directly. I’m sorry I can’t be there, you know how hectic the life in university with classes and assignments. Enough with that, last but not least, I wishing you all the best in everything that you’re doing. Ok, that’s it….bye-bye for now,” Ended of Seohyun’s video. Now she knew why Seohyun didn’t send a happy birthday wish to her. Though Seohyun went to the university that a little bit far from Seoul but they still keep in touch and that’s why she felt strange, when she didn’t get a message from her.   

The next video was totally making her felt overwhelmed and too blissful. A video from her sister.

“Happy birthday to you….happy birthday to you…happy birthday to Krystal…happy birthday to you. Happy birthday my baby sister! I’m sorry I didn’t wished you earlier, that stupid llama ask me not too but don’t worry if you didn’t like the surprise, I’ll personally make a call to him. He’s certainly going to pay for it. And don’t forget to get your present from him. I bought it specially for you. Never ever forget that I always love you my Krystal baby. Oh, wait Yul is here too…..seobang!!!” Some running steps can be heard from the video, then Yul appeared in the video.

“Hi, Krys. Happy birthday. I wish you a happy and healthy long life. Don’t worry, I’ll take a good care of your sister. And you too take care of yourself. Don’t forget to eat, ok. You know Sica can get panic attack and freak out when you get sick, right. Now, back to your sister before she smack on my head for talking too long with you,”

“Yah! Seobang!” A couple of yelp in pain can be heard from the video even she can’t saw it but she pretty sure that yelps coming from Yul.

“Ok, baby, that’s it for now but I’ll call you later. And if that stupid llama mess up with you, let me know so I can give him some lessons. Bye and I love you,” Ended of Jessica’s video. Tears welling up  in her eyes only waiting the time to rolling down. She thought it’s already ended but then she heard a voice that she’s quite familiar with it though she hardly heard it nowadays for uncertain reasons.

“Krys baby,” Only two other persons that called her likes that other than Jessica. The screen was dark, not a video. Perhaps it was a voice recording. She thought.

“It’s mom and dad,” Her mother’s voice. Finally, her tears rolled down on her cheek like a pouring rain after she heard a voice from her beloved one.

“We want to wish you a happy birthday. We hope every single day in your life is full with happiness and no more tears. We knew that we used to promise a lot of thing but none of it we manage to keep it but trust us, we do really love you. You’re our one and only precious baby Krystal,” Her father’s voice. She can hear some sniffing comes from it, she bet it was her mother.

“Krys baby, we might not be there with you but our love and prayers always by your side. Always remember that you have us with you no matter what happened. We love you,” Her mother’s voice. More and more tears rolling down on her cheek. She’s sobbed. Then, an arrow showed on the screen, she went to follow the direction. It’s behind the white screen, she took some steps further. Her eyes wandering around, looking for something or a certain person. After a while, her eyes caught of a lot of red heart shaped balloons till she can’t see the person who holding it but she recognize the shoe. It’s familiar to her. A widely smile come into sight on her face while her tears still doesn’t stopped rolling down. She ran to that person and gave a big bear hug. All the balloons flying up when that person caught her body and let the balloons go.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPswZJCRH67-HxOsMMVqupicture credit to the owner. 

“Ummph….woa, didn’t thought that you miss me that much,” That person said that to her. She didn’t replied, only her sniffing can be heard

“Hey, why’re you crying? You didn’t like the surprise? I’m sorry,” That person apologised to her. She quickly shook her head.

“Then, why?” That person asked her while hugging her. She finally calmed down a bit. She broke the hug a little but still held it closed.

“Because you’re stupid llama….so stupid….you don’t have to make that kind of surprise…..it’s too sweet and beautiful and I blame it on you for making me cry on my birthday,” She said that to him along with her sobs. He tittered.

“So, that’s mean you like it?” She nodded.

“The best birthday ever,” She tip-toed and gave him a peck on his lips. He grinned widely. His surprise was a success.

“You actually didn’t forget my birthday?” She asked him. He shook his head but still smiling.

“How can I, it’s my ice princess’s birthday,”

“But you told me that you got a job today,”

“Sorry, that’s a lie. Besides, I can’t forget even if I want to,” She looked at him strangely.

“You keep reminded me,” He narrowed his eyes at her.

“I did not,” She protested it.

“Princess, you put a calendar on my nightstand and you make a red circle on 24 October, you set an alarm in my phone for today and last night, you keep asking me what date is today. You certainly thought that I forget it, don’t you?” She only pouted and puffed her cheek when she heard him said that.

“Don’t do that,” He told her.

“Why I......ummph,” Before she could finish her word, a sudden kiss attack on her lips.

“Because that’s what you’ll get when you do that and I don’t mind to do that all night long,” He said that to her while grinning. He knew that she still want to pout but didn’t do it because of his sudden attack. She covered but he managed to put it away. So she bit her lips, tried to avoid pursing he lips. He chuckles when he saw that. He thought it was cute. She smacked on his arm lightly for laughing at her but he only hugged her back.

“B, did you play the song?” She asked him but still hugging him.

“Yeah, I hope it doesn’t sound so bad. I’m not good in playing those thing and don’t ask me to play it again,” He felt embarrassed. She chuckles.

“B, you know you can just download it and play it on the speaker,” She told him.

“Yeah but I thought I want to make it special. I tried so hard to learn it from one of my friend. Sorry, if it hurt your ears,” He felt more than shame now. She cupped his face with her hands and chaste a kiss on his lips.

“It’s the best sound I ever heard though there’s some off in the tune but it still fine,”

“Glad that you like it,” He smiled at her, at least it doesn’t sound so bad.

“B, how did you get…emm…my parents voice recording?” She asked him, a little hesitant in her voice.

“Got a little help from the snow queen. You don’t know how hard it’s to convince her,” He said that to her while she only giggles when she heard that.

“Oh, before I forget, I love you. I didn’t get to say it this morning,” He added while pressed a kiss on her lips. She whispered ‘I love you too’ slowly but loud enough for him.

“Where’s my presents?” She asked him after a moment while extended her palm in front of him.

“Tck…tck…so impatient, princess,” He said that to her. He took out something from behind his back and put it on her waiting palm. She looked at it with her brightly eyes.

“Can I open it?”

“It yours, princess,” He told her. She opened the box and slightly open while her jaw dropped. It’s a headband crown with rhinestone on it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRw_SwxMPvVuTBTftZLAQBpicture credit to the owner.

“I don’t know what to get for you so I guess I want you to be a princess tonight. It doesn’t cost much since I still can’t afford the real one,” He said that to her while smiling sheepishly. She hugged him tightly after he said that.

“It’s pretty. I love it. Thank you,” She broke the hug. She felt more than grateful for the gift, it wasn’t the price that’s count but the thought of it. He helped her put the headband on her head.

“How do I look?” She asked him.

“Like always, beauteous,” They shared another kiss and much longer this time.

“Thank you for the perfect birthday and perfect gift. It means a lot to me, B,”

“As long as you’re happy, princess,” He told her while back hugging her facing the ocean. They stayed like that for a while enjoying each other company and warmth with a little kisses here and there. It just a perfect night with slow breeze but not too cold and the sound of the wave hitting the sandy beach accompany them.

End of flashback

It’s one of my precious memento with her. A single tear managed to escaped, a prove that how much I miss her, how much I wish I could turn back the time. My thoughts been interrupted when I felt something tugged on my pants. I looked down, the little girl that I saw before.

“Why’re you crying?” She asked me. I smiled at her and kneeled down, eye level with her. She smiled back at me but I’m still not answering her question.

“Take this so you won’t cry anymore,” She told me while handing her red heart shaped balloons. I didn’t want to hurt her feeling so I took it.

“Thank you, that’s so nice of you. What’s your name?” I asked her.

“My name is princess. Look, I have a crown on my head,” She answered it with her giddily cheerful child’s voice while pointing at her small crown on her head. I let out a chuckles and waved at her when she started to running back to her parents. She waved back at me with a widely smile on her face. It’s nice to be a child with nothing to worry about. Later on, I looked at the red heart shaped balloons, my heart suddenly feel heavy. The mementos still lingered here, no matter what. Maybe it’s already the time for me to let it go. I thought and I let the balloons go flying up in the sky.

End of Amber POV

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTr_nDiis6uUEd-pxLHvM8picture credit to the owner