2

Last Romeo and Juliet

Chapter 2


Se Yi

Oh my god. It's him! He's the boy from the library! I didn't move an inch and the same goes from his side. We just stared at each other. He's shocked just like I am.

"What are you both doing?" we both flinched.

We quickly took our seats and froze. Yeah, we're frozen. How can we be classmates? And on top of that partners?! He's going to know that I can't talk. I shut my eyes close. Please let this be a dream.. I scribble a 'Please find another partner.' on my notebook and ripped it off.

"Okay. Now that the partners are settled, I will now explain the purpose." Purpose? What purpose?! "You will both make a story. And it will be your semestral project."

I just died. A story? Together?! Ah!!! "Okay, but don't rest assured. We will be discussing other topics about grammar. Don't worry, I'll end the lesson twenty minutes before time so that you can work on your stories. But now, I'll dismiss you all early so that you can plan on what you're going to do. Class dismissed."

No.. Don't leave me professor!! Who am I kidding? No one can hear me. "Uh, excuse me? Se Yi-"

I bowed and stretched my arms giving him the paper. He took it and read it silently.

"You want me to find another partner?" I nodded. "I'm happy that you're my partner."

I shook my head no. I took out my phone and started to type.

'You don't understand. I can't talk!'

He read it and looked at me. "Are you mute? No wait. You're not right? I mean, you can hear me."

'I am not mute. I just...can't talk..'

"Trauma or something?" I nodded. "So that's your reason? That's why you wanted me to find another partner?" I nodded again.

"I don't think it's an excuse Se Yi-ssi. We can communicate and I don't think it will be hard for us to work with each other. And besides, I'm glad that I get to see you again."

My heart skipped a beat. Oh my goodness. What just happened? He's okay with it? Even though I can't talk he's okay with it?!

'Are you sure?'

"I'm positive." he smiled.

'Thank you.'

Sung Gyu

She smiled. It's killing me. She smiled. That smile that I've been longing to see again. She started to type something on her phone and I watched her. She's beautiful. Just by watching her makes my heart flutter.

'I guess we're partners then?'

Partners. I love that. I smiled. "Yeah. Partners."

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Se Yi and I decided to have lunch together to talk about our project. I never wanted to be a phone in my entire life.

'Umm.. Can I ask you something?'

I started to get nervous. Please don't let it be the incident at the library. Please please!!

"Uh sure. Go ahead."

'Umm.. Last summer.. At the library.. Why did you touched my cheek?'

That's it. I'm dead. "Uh.. I don't know really.. But why did you smile when I touched you?"

She blinked. I think she's thinking. How cute. 'I don't know either.'

I laughed. "Let's just eat. Stay here I'll go get something for us-"

She held my hand and shook her head no. 'I'm going to do it since I told you to find another partner Sung Gyu-ssi.' she smiled.

"Oh okay then." she said then left.

Se Yi's phone was vibrating so I picked it up. "Lay oppa?" I read the name on the screen. Does she.. No right? I'm just having wrong thoughts..

After a while, Se Yi came back with our food. "Se Yi."

She looked at me and as she take her sit. She grabbed her phone and saw the missed call. "Se Yi, I.. I uh.. Wanted to ask you something.."

'What is it?'

I sighed. I can't do it. I can't tell her just yet. "Ani. Nevermind. Let's eat?"

She smiled and nodded.

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Se Yi

I didn't catch up with unnie and oppa at the shop because of my class so I just headed home.

"Se Yi!" I turned back. It's Yoojoon ahjussi, I mean.. Dad. I have to get used to calling him that. I bowed and smiled.

'Did you just finished work?' I signed. He smiled.

"Yes. Get in. Let's head straight to the hospital." I froze. The hospital..

"Se Yi?" I turned back and saw Sung Gyu-ssi. I heard dad get off his car and he took my bag.

"Oh hello sir." he bowed.

"Are you Se Yi's boyfriend?" I widen my eyes and shook my head.

'Ahjussi!!'

"I told you to not call me that anymore Se Yi." I nodded.

'But he's just my friend!' he chuckled.

"I know. I'm just joking. Why are you getting flustered anyway?"

"Uhm.." Oh yeah. Sung Gyu-ssi can't understand sign language.

"Get in young boy. You're going to the bus stop right? Se Yi and I are heading at the hospital so."

"Hospital? Actually I'm heading there too."

'Ahjussi! Stop!'

"Se Yi. It's father for you." I sighed. "And yes. She's going for her treatment. And that's good. Come with us."

"Oh.." I sighed in defeat. He told him everything! Goodness! We all motioned ourselves in the car and I sat at the back. Why did I sit here anyway? Who am I kidding? I never seat in front. 

"So, what's your name?"

"Sung Gyu. Kim Sung Gyu sir."

"Oh. I'm Shin Yoojun. Se Yi's stepfather."

"Nice too meet you sir."

Ahju- I mean father smiled. "I like you. It's the second time I met a guy that I am comfortable with Se Yi. Oh that's right! Se Yi, you're sister and Lay are there now."

Oppa and Unnie are? I thought they're going to eat out.. I felt my phone vibrate so I took it. It's Sung Gyu-ssi. Oh right, we exchanged numbers so that we can talk comfortably. I glanced at him and he's staring outside.

Sung Gyu: Who's Lay?

Me: He's our friend.

Sung Gyu: Oh..

He replied shortly. Somehow his reply makes nervous and uneasy. I don't know why though so I texted him back.

Me: Why do you ask?

Sung Gyu: I don't know. I guess my hands moved on its own again.

I chuckled. He's cute. I glanced at him and he's smiling.

"Looks like you guys are having fun back there." Dad said and we just smiled.

Sung Gyu

After a minute or so, we arrived at the hospital. Yoonjoo-ssi dropped us in front of the hospital before he parks the car.

"So, what treatment are you getting? You're not sick are you?" I asked in concern she smiled and shakes her head no.

She picks her phone and texted me.

Se Yi: Ani. Psychological treatment. For the trauma.

Me: I see. You okay?

She looks at me and nodded.

Me: Does everybody around you knows sign language?

Se Yi: Yes.

Me: Oh.

Why do I often reply shortly? Goodness I make the atmosphere between us awkward.

"Se Yi-ah!" we both flinched. Why did I? Am I Se Yi?!

A girl and a boy approach us. The girl looks like Se Yi. I'm guessing that she's her sister. And that guy, I don't like him. I've got a feeling that he's the 'Lay oppa' on Se Yi's phone.

Se Yi smiled and waved at them. "Did Yoonjoo ahjussi bring you here?" so-called 'Lay oppa' asked.

Se Yi nodded and signed something I'm positive that I don't understand. "Oh, so he's your partner! Hello! I'm Jinhee. Se Yi's older sister."

"Oh, Kim Sung Gyu." her sister is more cheerful than she is I have to say.

"I'm Yixing. But call me Lay." I was about to ask him something but it seems like this guy can read minds. "And yes. I'm Chinese."

I heard Se Yi giggle. She reaches her phone to me and I laughed.

'Don't mind him. He's our grumpy old troll.'

"Yah Se Yi. If you dare to tell that I'm-"

"I think she already did." I cut him off. Now I feel like I'm the one who can read minds now.

"You're all here?"

"Dad!" "Ahjussi." Lay and Jinhee said in unison.

"Oh, I'll be going then. Thank you for the ride here Yoojun-ssi."

"It's nothing. Who are you going to visit?"

"Oh, my grandmother. She's admitted two months ago."

"Oh, since summer?" I flinched and I can see Se Yi did too.

"Yes. Last summer." I replied looking at Se Yi and she smiled.

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Se Yi

I fell on my bed and hugged my pillow. What the doctor said to me earlier frightens me. But she's right. I can't really choose people who I see everyday. I might see him again and it scares me if that day comes.

I felt my phone vibrate so I picked it. A smile form in my lips. It's Sung Gyu.

Sung Gyu: Are you asleep yet?

Me: Not yet.

Sung Gyu: I see. I was worried about your counseling session. You okay?

I smiled. He's worried about me.

Me: Yes. I think you've read too much books Sung Gyu-ssi.

Sung Gyu: I guess so. And don't call me Sung Gyu-ssi anymore. Just Sung Gyu okay?

Me: Umm.. You're my sunbae right?

Sung Gyu: Oh right. Just call me oppa then. 

Me: Arasso oppa :)

Sung Gyu

So Se Yi's younger than me by three years? Why didn't I think of that?

Me: Oh. That's Sung Gyu oppa then?

Se Yi: Arasso oppa :)

My heart started to beat like crazy after I read her text. Guess I'm not the only oppa Se Yi has now. I'm happy.