15

Last Romeo and Juliet

Chapter 15


Sung Gyu

I looked at Se Yi and sighed.

"Se Yi."

"I remember everything now.. Please tell me what happened to Kevin.."

I sighed. I promised Kevin that I won't tell Se Yi what happened. It's the last thing that he ever wanted me to tell her. He loves her so much and he doesn't want her to be hurt. Now she is. I'm about to tell her all Kevin. I'm sorry.

Flashback

It was a fine day and all of us, Se Yi, Kevin, Jinhee and I headed out to spend time with ourselves since it's the day after Kevin's birthday. We didn't celebrate it yesterday since we have school the day after so we all agreed to spend his birthday today.

"Kevin! Here's your gift!" Se Yi said cheerfully and handed our gift to him.

We're all used to giving one gift to each other, placing it all in one box then giving it to the celebrant. Kevin smiled and took our gift. He loosens the ribbon on top of it and gets rid of the lid.

"Wow." he said and smiled ear to ear. "You guys got me a new pair of shoes!"

"You like it Kev?" I asked.

"You bet! Thanks!" he smiled. "Wait. Where did you get the money to buy me this? I mean, I know that we're all saving money. But, these shoes cost a lot."

Jinhee laughed. "We got a little help from mom and Sung Gyu oppa's aunt."

"I see." he replied. "Thanks guys!"

"You're welcome! Happy Birthday!" we all said in unison and gave him a group hug.

"Ah! Kevin! We planned what to do today!" Se Yi said.

"Planned what?"

"First, were going to eat all of these!" she opened the basket and opened it. "Mom cooked it for us."

"Wow, will this day get any better?!" I chuckled.

"Se Yi planned it all Kev!" Jinhee said and I nodded in agreement.

"I'm guessing that this day will be your best day ever Kev." I said.

"I think so." he smiled. "Thanks Se Yi."

Se Yi smiled. "You're welcome!"

We all took our plates and took the food from the basket and started eating. I saw Kevin looking at Se Yi faintly. It's painful for him being in a situation like this. He doesn't want to leave Se Yi, but what choice does he have? He's badly sick. He's been diagnosed with brain cancer. Only I know what he's been going through right now.

"Kevin, are you really going to study abroad?" Se Yi asked. I stopped eating and looked at Kevin. We're all been best of friends since we all saw each other. For years to be exact. We can't bear a minute not to be together.

Kevin smiled and ruffled her hair. "Yes."

Actually, the reason why Kevin's going abroad is for Se Yi and Jinhee not to see the later events that will happen to him. The doctor said that the chance of him getting better is 80-20% so Kevin's not getting his hopes up. He's a strong guy. He believes that everything happens for a reason and he thinks that him having a cancer has something to do with it. I hate that notion of his though. We even fought for days because of him telling me that he'll only leave everything to fate.

I hate him for giving up. He's been my second brother. And I hate diseases. First Myungsoo being sick and now it's taking my best friend away from me.  I really don't get why fate keeps on taking all of the ones that I cherish the most in my young age. I'm only nine and I'm going to experience something that I don't want to experience soon.

"Promise me that you'll comeback and don't forget about us!!" Kevin chuckled.

"Of course. How could I forget all of you?"

Lie. He will forget about us because of his damn disease.

"Promise us." Jinhee added.

"I got it." he smiled. "Okay. I promise that I Woo Sung Hyun, will not forget, Shin Jinhee, Shin Se Yi," he stops and looked at me. "And Kim Sung Gyu."

He lets out a faint smile. I know what he meant. He's apologizing with what he has just said. He's not denying that he will forget about us. Curse you Kevin.

"You promised! You know what will happen if you do!"

He laughs. "I know. I will be punished."

"Okay. That's enough. Let's finish eating now shall we?"

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

After the party, I headed to Kevin's house. They are now starting to pack all of their things. I find this heart breaking.

"Where's Kev?" I asked.

"Oh Sung Gyu dear! He's upstairs."

"Thanks!" I replied and headed to his room.

I opened the door and I widen my eyes in surprise. His room is filled with sticker pads all over. It has our names written on it.

"Kev."

He's on the floor crying with his hands his head.

"Kev, it's okay."

"No.. No it's not!" he said with his voice shaking. "I don't want to forget about you all! I don't want to forget you, Jinhee and most of all Se Yi!! You guys are my everything and it's stupid of me to lie to them! Going abroad to study? Who am I kidding Gyu? Oh yeah. Myself!"

I hugged him and pat his back. I know it's hard for him. I may not understand him exactly but I know that it hurts.

"You're not Kev. You're doing it for them. You don't want them to be hurt and that's why."

"I love you all and I don't want to leave this world yet Gyu.. It hurts and I'm scared.."

"Don't be. I'm always here Kev. You can call me anytime."

He smiled. "Then promise me one thing"

"What is it?"

"After I die, don't tell Se Yi about this. Not a single thing. Just let her know that I've forgotten you all."

"Kev."

"Please. We all know Se Yi. When she's hurt, she's hurt badly. So please keep it from her."  I sighed.

"I understand."

"Thank you."

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

A year passed, and Kevin died. Before he left, he gave me a box. He told me not to open it until this time comes and now I did. I found a letter that is addressed to me and Jinhee so I gave Jinhee hers. I looked into the box further and saw a book. It's Se Yi. I opened my letter and started reading it.

Gyu,

Hamster Gyu, Gyujiji, Gyunoeyes and many other nicknames, you're still Kim Sung Gyu. My best friend and my brother. I know how mad and frustrated you are for me accepting my cancer. But Gyu, it's a cancer and it can kill. It's like me hanging on a rope that's near to bust.  I understand why you got mad at me that day. But now you understand right? Let's just consider us lucky that fate gave us time to spend my remaining time with you all.

I'm not going to say that I'll remember you all forever because we both know that eventually, I will have to forget about everything. I'll just say that I have you all imprinted on my heart. All of you. Jinhee, you, my parents and Se Yi. I also left a letter to Jinhee. Don't worry, I already placed everything there so you don't have to worry about explaining a thing about me to her. I know Jinhee can handle it that's why I wrote her a letter but Se Yi can't. That's why I left her this book. Romeo and Juliet. It's a tragic story. I can just let her cry for me through this book because it's tragic. Just let her cry okay Gyu? Give her the book and tell her that I sent it.

Thanks for everything Gyu. And when I said everything, I meant EVERYTHING. You've been a good friend, wait, and scratch that. Super Duper Ultra Mega best friend that I had. Don't think that I left this world Gyu because I'm not. I'll be waiting at the skies for all of us to meet again. I will watch over you three and haunt all of the people that will hurt the three of you. I love you Gyu and please take care of Se Yi for me.

- Kev.

Tears crept to me. Kevin you idiot. Why do you have to write such a thing?

I grabbed the book and wipe my tears away. I'll give this book to her and be there for her to cry. I promised Kev. And I will fulfill his wish.

End of Flashback

Se Yi

So, he's dead? My best friend's dead? I shake my head and disbelief as tears flowed from my eyes.

"No. He can't be dead. You're just lying right?"

Oppa sighed. "I wish I am Se Yi, but it's the truth.."

"Why didn't you tell me?" He didn't answer and just looked at me. "WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THAT HE’S DYING?!!!"

He flinched and held my hand but I shoved his away. "Se Yi please.."

"No!!! Don't touch me!! How could you?! You lied to me twice! You told me that you have nothing to do with that necklace! But it turns out that you gave it to me! And now you're telling me that Kevin's dead?! Why do you all keep on lying?!!!"

He pulled me into a hug but I didn't resist. He was too strong and I don't have enough power to shove him away. It was too painful for me and it's making me weak every second.

"Se Yi, I'm sorry. I'm so so sorry..." he said as he kissed my head repeating what he’s saying. I can't resist. I want to push him away but I can't. "Se Yi I'm really sorry... I don't want us to turn out like this.."

"Let go of me.."

"Se Yi please.."

"Please oppa.. Just let go of me.." he did let go of me and I saw that he's crying too. 

"I'm sorry.."

I didn't reply and just walked out of the place. My mind is blank that I don't even know what to think about. I sighed and got on the bus. Should I go home? Should I go somewhere else? I don't know what to do. Kevin's gone. My best friend's gone.

He helped me in every time I asked him. He helped me to be close to Sung Gyu oppa. He's the only one that knows how I feel about him. Yes, I have loved him since I was a kid. And I think that's the reason why I smiled the moment he touched my cheek the moment I got to see him again. Even though my mind didn't get to recognize him, my heart did. I wanted to ask him if he knew me even before he saw my necklace but I can't. I can't even force myself to look at him for a second. A part of me hates me and half of me loves him. I hate it. I don't know if I wanted to see him.

I reached my stop and I got off.  "Se Yi?" I heard a voice talk. I looked up and saw Lay oppa. I didn't respond and looked at him. This is so embarrassing. I'm so messed up right now. He approached me and looked at my face.

"What happened?"

"Nothing.." I replied shortly.

"Don't lie to me."

"I don't want to talk about it, so please."

He smiled and hugged me. "Okay."

I closed my eyes and hugged him back. This is what I need right now. The warmth of someone and Lay oppa never fails to give it to me whenever I need it. He's always been there for me.

After a while, he pulled out and wiped my tears away. "Se Yi, you can tell me everything if you're ready. I'll listen to you understand?"

I nodded. "Thanks."

"Anything for you Yinnie."

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Sung Gyu

She left. She's mad at me. She told me not to touch her. That's the moment that I felt my heart fell apart. It hurts to make her cry. I hate it. I can accept the fact that we can't be together. But I can't accept the fact that she doesn't want me anymore. I don't want to hate Kevin for this. It's not his fault that things turned out this way. Actually, it's nobody's fault. We all wanted Se Yi to be happy that's why we kept it to her. I just have to accept this for now.

Someone knocked at my door and opened it. "Gyu?"

I sat on my bed and faced grandma. "Oh, hello grandma. Do you need anything?"

She smiled. "No dear. I'm just checking up on you. Are you alright?"

I sighed. "No I'm not. Se Yi hates me grandma."

"What happened?"

"She found out everything.."

"Oh dear, I'm so sorry.."

"It's okay grandma." she smiled and caressed my hair.

"You know Gyu? Se Yi might not have said it but I know that she loves you truly too. There's this book that I read that says, that people need to be apart for them to realize how important the other is."

 (A/N: This quote is from the book Slammed. I love that quote very much ^^)

I sighed. She's right. I just hope that she will realize my worth is for her.