For Her

Scandal in the Cube

 

Yoseob’s POV

“Sohyunnie~ Sit here~” I waved at her as she walked into the practice room.

She ignored me and sat near the window.

But I won’t give up.

I got up from my seat and sat beside her.

“What’s wrong?” I looked at her, feeling worried because she did not even say ‘hi’ to me today.

“Nothing.”

And she kept quiet for the rest of the day.

 

-After lesson-

I went to look for my spy.

“DONGWOON!” I called him when he tried to escape the room through the backdoor.

“Hehehe… Hyung…” He smiled awkwardly.

I pulled him to the staircase and closed the door.

“What happened to Sohyun? Why is she so unhappy today?” I glared at him.

“Hyung…” Dongwoon sighed and sat on the stairs. “Sohyun is having family problems now.”

“What?!” I was shocked. “What happened?”

“Sohyun’s dongsaeng was diagnosed to have cancer, around the nose area. He was only 8… Ahjussi and Sohyun don’t have enough money for his treatments, I guess that’s why they were so worried and sad recently.” Dongwoon frowned. “Poor Sohyun… Having to deal with all these at her age… She even thought of leaving 4..”

Before he could end his sentence, I immediately ran off.

No way I’m going to leave her alone.

 

Sohyun’s POV

-In the dance studio-

After another practice session, I was exhausted.

I have been practicing very hard these few days, even more than usual. Maybe it was because I did not want to remember what happened a few days ago.

//Flashback begins//

Just a week ago, my brother had nose bleeding and he felt pain in his swollen throat.

I was worried so I brought him to the clinic.

“I’m sorry to tell you that your brother has nasal cancer.” With just a simple sentence, the doctor threw me a bomb.

I was shocked.

“Then doctor… what can I do… to cure this illness?” I tried to calm myself down quickly, but my shaking voice revealed my emotions.

This can’t be happening.

“The illness can be controlled through regular treatment. Don’t worry.” The doctor looked at me with a smile, trying to make me feel better.

But I knew it would not be that easy. It was a type of cancer after all.

“How much does each treatment cost?” I asked.

// Flashback ends//

 

Why must this happen to me? Why can’t I be the one who’s sick now?

I wanted to leave 4minute so as to take more time in looking after my dongsaeng, but my father’s salary was not enough to pay the huge sum of hospital fees.

My tears rolled down my cheeks as I buried myself between my legs.

Who can help me now? I’m so scared and tired.

 

Just then, a warm hand patted my head.

I looked up.

“Sohyunnie, you can cry on my shoulders if you need it.” Yoseob oppa sat beside me.

I quickly wiped off my tears and tried to stand up.

But Yoseob oppa pulled me.

“I knew everything already.” He stared at me with his big eyes.

At that moment, I knew that my secret was exposed.

“How did you know it? Who told you?!” I was frustrated.

I wanted to hide the truth from everyone else.

Why must he know it now?

“Never mind how I know it.” He passed me a towel. “Wipe off your tears.”

 He suddenly passed me a package.

“Take this.”

 

Yoseob’s POV

Sohyun opened the package and her eyes opened wide.

“Oh my gosh, how did you…” She was shocked.

The package was filled with cash.

“Never mind how I got it.” I grinned. “I was rich, remember?”

Sohyun lowered her head and pushed the package back to me.

“I can’t have it… It’s too…”

“Take it.” I demanded. “You need it to cure your brother.”

“Are you sure?” She bit her lips. “It will take me a couple of years before I can return you.”

I nodded my head.

“It’s alright. Because it is for you, Sohyunnie.” I winked.

 

//Flashback begins//

-At the top floor of the building-

“Young Master, you can’t barge in. Master is…” Mr Kang attempted to stop me.

I ignored him and pushed the door open.

When I walked in, I saw a girl sitting on top of a man whom I call… my father.

They were behaving so intimately and I immediately know that she was the new girlfriend he met.

My dad was in his late fifties, but he has countless of girlfriends. But I knew it wasn’t because he was handsome. But it was because he was very rich, filthy rich. He was the chairperson of the largest IT company in Korea and I was his only son. Not many people know, because I used a different surname.

 

“You’re mean…” The girl whined and hit his chest lightly. “You promised to buy me a XXX branded bag, remember?”

“Tell my secretary, and he’ll get you one.” My ‘father’ pecked her cheeks and laughed.

I was disgusted and wanted to run out of the room, but I knew I need to stay.

“I’m sorry, Master. But Young Master…” Mr Kang bowed and apologized.

“It’s okay.” My ‘father’ nodded.

“Why are you here today?” He asked without looking at me.

“Can we talk for a moment? Just the 2 of us?” I tried to make myself sound calm, when I was actually fuming inside.

“Ok.” He finally turned to look at me. Within 5 minutes, there was only me and him alone in the room.

“What do you want to say today?” He smirked, as if he was expecting me to ask him for something.

And he was right.

“I need money.” I looked away, avoiding his gaze.

I hate him. He was the one who caused me and my mom’s misfortune.

If it wasn’t for him, my mom would not suffer from depression 5 years ago.

Since then, I left home with my mother and made a living on my own. I even used a different name so to avoid people from finding my identity.

Although my father knew where we were, he never came looking for us. He often sent Mr Kang to deliver money to us, but I refused to take it.

It was my dignity.

 

“Just as I expected.” He smiled. “For that girl, Sohyun?”

“You followed me?!” I was shocked and angry.

“ I was just concerned about my son.”

“You liar!” I shouted. “If you were concerned, you would have not done this to mom!” I gripped my fist and tried to refrain from sending it to his face.

“So… how much you want?” He leaned back on his chair. “Is $10 million enough?”

 I turned my head and nodded with much difficulty.

“I’ll tell Mr Kang to pass you later.” He stood up and was about to walk towards me.

But I did not want him to come near me.

“Thanks.” I turned around and walked towards the door.

Before I touched the handle of the door, he called me.

“Yoseob, you know you can’t be a celebrity for long, right? You should remember our promise.” He reminded.

“I know.”

//Flashback ends//

 

I looked at Sohyun’s relieved face and I knew this worthed it.

I may have a broken family, but my heart found its home when I met my friends… and her.

I smiled.

 

Sohyun’s POV

I turned around and saw Yoseob smiling gently at me.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” I blushed.

“Nothing. Just wanted to look at you.” Yoseob grinned and moved closer towards me. “I want to look at you clearly and deeply.” He said seriously and observed my face.

Our faces were so close that I could feel his breath on my cheeks.

“What are you doing?!” I looked away and pushed him.

My heart thumped so hard against my chest and I was afraid he would hear it.

“Why is your face red?” He giggled. “Are you starting to fall for me?”

My heart skipped a beat and I panicked.

“OF COURSE NOT!” I quickly stand up. “Thank you for the money. I will repay you as soon as possible.”

I wanted to run out but Yoseob put his arm around my shoulder.

“Since I was so kind, shouldn’t you treat me to something nice to thank me? Just a ‘thank-you’ is definitely not enough.”

“Fine… I treat you to dokbokki.” I mumbled unwillingly.

At this point of time, I need to save all the money I got. I was about to buy a sandwich for my dinner today.

Haizz… TT

“What?! $10 million for a dokbokki only?!” Yoseob exclaimed.

“If you don’t want… then forget it.” I replied him cruelly.

“I WANT! I WANT! I WANT!” Yoseob squealed and dragged me out.

Finally, for the first time in the week, a genuine smile went up my face.

 

-At the dokbokki roadside stall-

“This is DELICIOUS!!” Yoseob shouted as he stuffed another stick of fish cakes into his mouth.

I glared at him as he ordered another bowl of dokbokki.

This guy can really eat…

I sighed.

There goes my next week allowance.

“Why aren’t you eating?” He said as he bit the hot dokbokki. “AHHH! IT’S HOT!”

“I’m not hungry.” I took a small bite of the sun dae.

“Eat this.” Yoseob poked a dokbooki with a stick and fed me.

I unwillingly accepted it as other couples standing beside us were staring at us.

“Isn’t it nice?” His eyes twinkled with happiness.

“Yeah…”

After eating a feast, Yoseob walked out of the stall.

I took out a $10 thousand won to pay the ahjumma.

But the ahjumma said it has already been paid.

“That guy has already paid it.” The ahjumma pointed at Yoseob who was standing outside in the cold and waving at us. “He’s a nice guy. You have good taste.”

“Thanks…” I laughed awkwardly.

Bwoh ya…. He has already paid for it…

I giggled at his ‘V’ sign.

That sly oppa.