The Last Wish

Scandal in the Cube

 

Gayoon’s POV

I stole a peek at Hyunseung who was walking beside me. He came to my doorstep this morning, saying that he wanted to take me out. I was caught by surprise when he mentioned that we need to have a date.

“To get to know each other better.” He kept his reason short.

I wondered what was the real reason behind it.

“Where are we going?” I asked him. We have been walking around Myeongdong for a very long time and still did not have any idea where we are going. I was feeling embarrassed when he held my hand and people around us started noticing us.

“Isn’t that Gayoon from 4minute and Hyunseung from Beast?” Someone whispered at the side and pointed at us. I lowered my head and continued walking in quick steps.

“I’m going to get you some clothes.” He said without looking at me.

“Clothes? But why?”

Is it because he knew it’s my birthday today?

That’s right. It’s my birthday today. I intended to celebrate it with 4minute members today but went out with Hyunseung instead. Although I felt very guilty to the other members, I can’t stop thinking how Hyunseung is going to celebrate.

I started imagining the scene when a guy won a huge teddy bear for a girl and gave her a necklace. Then he’ll say “I’m going to tie you down with this necklace and make you mine forever. Happy birthday.”

*Excited*

When I woke up from my fantasy, we arrived at a branded clothes shop.

I was shocked.

THESE CLOTHES COST A BOMB!!

I stared at Hyunseung who started picking dresses at a side.

“Try this.” He passed a grey elegant dress and a black gown.

My jaw literally dropped when I saw the price tag. $100,000 won for a dress like this?!?! This is daylight robbery!!

“I don’t need this kind of present. It’s too expensive.” I shook my head and rejected it.

“You don’t have to feel burdened at all.” He smiled. “Afterall, you’ll be wearing it for me.”

I blushed.

Wear it for him? What does he mean by that?

I took the clothes and tried it out in the dressing room. Every time I finished changing into one gown, I’ll show it to Hyunseung who was standing outside the dressing room.

I felt a shiver everytime Hyunseung let his gaze flow down from my face to my feet.

Finally, after trying out a few different gowns, he picked the beige-coloured dress which only revealed my shoulders and until the length of my knees. I was glad because I did not like revealing clothes.

“Let’s go.” He pulled my hand after we paid for the dress.

 

Hyunseung’s POV

We found a fastfood restaurant nearby and sat at a table. After finishing our food, we began talking about random things.

“Hey, Gayoon…” Hyunseung took in a deep breathe. “Are you free this weekend? I need a female partner to accompany to Hyeyoung’s birthday party.” He pleaded.

I froze when I heard his sentence. Fortunately, my sunglasses hid my disappointment.

“Ah… I see.” I sighed. “I’m free.” I gave a bitter smile.

So the dress… was for the party…

Did he know it was my birthday today?

I felt the urge to ask him, so I tried to give him a hint.

“Do…you… have… anything…or something else…to….to say… to me?” I asked softly, trying to catch the slightest hint his expression would give.

“Am I supposed to say anything?” He looked confused.

Nothing at all. I see nothing at all.

I frowned and bit my straw.

Hyunseung seemed to sense my mood and he touched my hand.

“Are you feeling alright?” He asked in a gentle voice. “It’s cold, isn’t it?” He took off his jacket and put it over my shoulders lightly. “Don’t catch a cold. I’ll be worried.”

Is he really trying to show me his concern? I don’t know.

“Don’t worry. I’ll will be able to make it on this weekend.” I replied in a sour tone. I know I am being childish and sarcastic now, but I can’t control myself.

Hyunseung heard what I said and we both went silent.

 

Hyunseung’s POV

I thought Gayoon should understand why I’m doing this. And I thought I should be happy that she knew.

But why is it when I spotted her forced smile, I would feel so guilty and angry.

I don’t like her being so liveless, as if nothing is of her concern. Like no matter how much I hurt her, she would carry on listening to me and giving in to me.

I knew she likes me, so I thought she might be happy if I kept her by my side. And I thought she would be able to make me forget about Hyeyoung. Maybe, both of us could be really suitable.

I kinda like her too, isn’t it? I’ve never treated any other girl like this, other than Hyeyoung.

I need her.

I am beginning to regret my selfish actions, but I can’t stop it now. I can only try to treat her even better.

 

When we were walking on the streets, I held her hands and felt that they were so cold. I put her hand into my pocket to keep it warm.

“Thanks.” Gayoon smiled weakly.

I smiled back.

When we reached back to the dorm, I sent her to her door.

“Have a good night.” I gave her a hug.

She nodded.

When she closed the door, I suddenly heard the girls in the dorm screaming.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY! GAYOON!!!”

I stunned.

Is it her birthday today?

Why didn’t she tell me?

I immediately remembered her expression during lunch today. Those eyes were expecting me to say something to her.

I felt as if I was shot on the brain but the pain started spreading to my heart.

Why are you doing this to me, Gayoon?

Why didn’t you tell me?

Why did you have to make me feel like a jerk?

I felt awful, really guilty. She must have expected a gift from me.

I quickly took out my handphone and sent her an sms.

 

To: Gayoon

I’m sorry I forgot to say this today. Happy birthday, my girlfriend.

 

Gayoon’s POV

The other members were happy celebrating my birthday for me. I blew out the candles and they cheered. When they asked what I wished for, I told them I wished for the success for 4minute and health for everyone.

What I missed out, was the last wish, which is for Hyunseung to like me as much as I like him. People say that they should keep the most important last wish in their heart if not it would never come true.

Just then, my phone vibrated and I saw his sms.

Tears flow out of my eyes.