Even if she's my dongsaeng

Scandal in the Cube

 

Gikwang’s POV

“Hey, Gikwang.” Doojoon gave me a pat on my shoulder. “Have you heard about it yet? Beast and 4minute will be doing couple dance on the Gayo Daejun.”

“Really?” I was surprised. “Are the pairing chosen yet?”

Doojoon gave me a wink.

“I heard from Mr Shin that you’ll be dancing with Hyuna. Afterall, both of you were popular and matched each other well.” He grinned. “You feel happy right?”

“Don’t think too much into it, she’s just my dongsaeng.” I smiled.

Doojoon stared at me for a while and smirked. “We’ll see about that.”

“What?” I asked again

“Nothing…” He walked away. “Don’t forget that we will start practice on Wednesday.”

Is he trying to tell me something?

I took out my phone and sent Hyuna an SMS.

 

To: Little Girl

Hey, have you heard about the news? Oppa will be your partner for Gayo. XD

 

 

Hyuna’s POV

I read Gikwang’s SMS and could not spoke for a second.

What?!

Me and him?

Why?

He would be the last person I would want to dance with. How can I concentrate when my partner is him?

Although he had no feelings for me as a girl, but my heart…

*Sighs*

 

Suddenly, I received another SMS.

 

From: MBLAQ’s Lee Joon

Are you free? Wanna have a drink together? I’m bored…

 

I laughed at his emoticon. I could totally imagine him pouting his lips and waiting for my reply.

Since I’m feeling very depressed now, I guess maybe I should meet him.

 

To: MBLAQ’s Lee Joon

Ok. Meet you at XXX café at 8.

 

I immediately changed my clothes, put on some light make-up and headed out of the dorm after reporting to Jihyun unnie.

 

Gikwang’s POV

I wondered if Hyuna received my SMS. I stared at my phone for 10 mins but there was no reply.

“Gikwang, help Hyung to throw these rubbish at the dump.” Hyunseung passed me a few full garbage bags.

“Me?” I asked again.

“Yeah. You.” Hyunseung said cruelly.

I pouted my lips and unwillingly walked out of the dorm.

Just when I opened my door, I saw Hyuna waiting for the lift.

“Hey Hyuna.” I smiled when I spotted her.

“Hey oppa.” Hyuna turned back and forced a smile.

“Are you sick?” I went closer. “You look pale.” I was about to put my hand on her forehead when she brushed it away lightly.

“I’m fine.” She said weakly and moved into the lift.

I followed her.

“Did you see my SMS?”

“No, I was changing. Sorry.”

“It’s ok. Where are you going to now?” I noticed her light make up and felt curious.

Is she meeting a guy?

 

Hyuna’s POV

Why must I see him now again?

I hate it when he treats me as a sister.

I already had a brother. I don’t need another one.

How I wished his concern for me was because he likes me as a girl, more than just a sister that could be easily replaceable.

 

I tried my best to remain cold and calm so that he would stop talking, but he did not notice my efforts.

 

“It’s ok. Where are you going to now?”

Is he even trying to make sure that his ‘sister’ won’t fool around outside?

What is it that he wants from me?

Just because I ‘can’t’ like him, doesn’t means I can’t have my other choices, right?

 

That’s it, I had enough.

The doors of the lift opened right then. I walked out and turned back to face him.

“Why did you ask? It’s not important to you anyway.” I glared at him.

Gikwang’s eyes were wide opened, caught off guard by my sudden change of mood.

I ignored him and hurried out of the building.

 

Suddenly, I saw Lee Joon waiting outside the gates.

“Lee Joon oppa?” I called his name.

“Hi Hyuna!” He gave me a sunshine smile and ran towards me. “I wanted to enter, but the guards were staring at me.” He pointed at the ahjussi sitting at the side. “They looked scary.”

I laughed at his complaint.

“Aren’t we supposed to meet at the café?” I told him.

“I thought it was kind of dangerous to let you walk there alone.” He grinned. “So here I am.”

“Thanks.” I felt so relieved to see him now.

 

“Hey, isn’t that Gikwang?” Lee Joon pointed behind.

When I heard what he said, I immediately wrap my hands around Lee Joon’s arms.

“Where are you bringing me to?” I said in the most cheesy tone.

“Hyuna?” Lee Joon frowned and looked at me.

I know what he was thinking. But I could not stop myself from doing it.

“Please help me this once.” I pleaded softly.

 

Gikwang’s POV

When I rushed out of the building, I saw Hyuna talking to a guy at the gates.

As I got closer, I recognized it was Lee Joon.

I glared at their arms.

“Where are you bringing me to?” Hyuna aegyo-ed. She was smiling so happily to him, unlike how she glared at me just now.

 I felt my chest burning with jealousy.

Both of them were so close that they looked like a couple.

I was about to go forward and pull them apart.

But I stopped myself.

Who am I?

I’m just her oppa.

I’m just a brother who have no authority over his sister’s love life.

What’s worse was, I am not even her real brother.

 

I forced myself to ignore them and walked away.

 

Hyuna’s POV

“Are you sure about this?” Lee Joon said as I watched Gikwang walked away.

A drop of tear rolled down from the corner of my eye.

I wiped it away quietly and turned towards him.

“I’m alright.” I faked a smile. “Let’s go.”

 I was about to walk away when Lee Joon pulled me back.

“If you wanna cry, I’ll lend you my shoulders.” He smiled. “Although it’s not as good as Gikwang’s, but hey, I’ve got six-pacs too.”

I laughed at his joke but tears kept flowing out of my eyes.

“Look at you.” He sighed. “You look so ugly crying. Like a panda.” He wiped my tears.

I hugged Lee Joon.

Just this moment, just this moment…

Let me treat you as… him.

 

Gikwang’s POV

I threw the garbage bag into the dump and shouted my anger.

Why must I feel so helpless?

Why?

I always thought that treating her as my sister would make things better, but why does it feels even worse than the time when she isn’t?

I thought we could be closer, but it looked like our distance went further apart.

 

I need a drink.

I went to the nearest club and ordered a cup of beer.

Actually, I don’t like to drink alcohol and I can’t drink. But I feel like I need one.

Within 2 big cups, I started to feel very hot and dizzy.

The loud music at the club makes me wanna dance.

 

I proceeded towards the dancefloor.

 

“Hey, isn’t that AJ?” I heard someone said. But I didn’t care, I just continued dancing.

People started to make space for me and left an empty circle in the middle of the dancefloor. Every time I did a move, they cheered. I felt happy and satisfied.

While I was dancing, I noticed another girl dancing at the side. The way she dances, reminds me of Hyuna. I went towards her.

“Hi, I’m Gikwang.” I introduced myself while dancing beside her. I tried to see her face but it was covered by a cap.

She looked up and I immediately recognized her.

“Jia?”

 

Jia’s POV

I was enjoying myself in the club when someone tapped me on the shoulder.

I ignored that person because I knew that it must be strangers who are trying to get to know me. But I go clubbing for dancing only, nothing else interest me.

“Hi, I’m Gikwang.” That guy said.

Gikwang?

I looked at him.

“Jia?” He was shocked too.

 

Both of us were JYP trainees, and we have known each other ever since those days.

It’s really great to meet him again. Especially since the day he was transferred to Cube.

“Hey, what are you doing here?” We sat at a corner and started chatting.

“Nothing… Just feel like having some fun.” He gave a bitter smile and looked at somewhere far away, as if he was alone.

“Having some problems? Need someone to talk to?” I punched his shoulder lightly.

He sighed.

“What’s wrong? You seem so depressed.” I got abit worried. “Just tell me. I’ll keep a secret.” I promised.

Gikwang looked down and started talking. “I have this girl whom I treasured a lot, much more than any other girls I know. I know she is special, so I must give her a special place that will not change forever. And I told her that I wanted her to be my sister. You know, being siblings is one kind of relationship which you can stay close forever.”

I understood the situation immediately.

Haiz, Gikwang you pabo.

“And…” He continued. “When I saw her with the other guy today, I felt angry, like she was snatched away from me. But the problem was, I am just a ‘brother’. I have no rights to prevent her from knowing another guy.” He buried his head in his hands.

“Gikwang…” I patted his shoulder. “I remembered those days when we were in JYP, you were always popular with girls. You should know this better than anyone. You are the ladies’ man, remember?” I encouraged him.

“That’s why I don’t know why it happened this time, it’s different from before.” He mumbled and gulped down a cup of beer.

“Stop drinking.” I stopped him. “You’re drunk.”

“No, I’m not.” He insisted to take another gulp.

I quickly dragged him out and hailed a taxi.

 

Hyuna’s POV

After Lee Joon sended me back to the gates, I dragged my feets back into the building where I heard a girl talking.

“Gikwang, stop it.” The girl whined.

“I want more (beer).” The guy mumbled.

“Where’s your dorm?” The girl asked.

“I want more….” The guy moaned.

 

The word “Gikwang” caught my attention, so I moved towards the origin of the voices.

When I turned into a corner, I saw Jia pushing Gikwang and Gikwang was leaning on her.

Million of thoughts went through my mind, but only one seems real, that is – Gikwang likes Jia, but was rejected by her.

Is this why I’m just a dongsaeng to him? He likes noona?

I was about to escape when Jia called my name.

“Hyuna?!” She noticed me straightaway and threw Gikwang to a side. “Do you know where Gikwang stays? I can’t get him back.” She pointed at him.

I looked at Gikwang who was practically knocked out.

“I’ll ask someone to help.” I suggested.

I asked a guard to bring Gikwang up to his apartment.

“So I should go now. Bye unnie.” I ran away before she could stop me.

 

Gikwang’s POV

-Next day-

I woke up with a sharp pain on my head.

For a moment, I could not remember what happened yesterday night, until I suddenly remembered I went into a club.

I went dancing…. And I think I met someone I know…

Who did I meet?

Ouch, my head is going to burst from all these thinking.

Just then, my phone rang.

An unknown number….

“Hello? Who is this?” I asked politely.

“Hey Gikwang.” A familiar female voice answered. “I’m Jia.”

Now I recalled everything.

“Hey Jia. Thanks for sending me home yesterday night. I must have been such a pain in the neck.” I laughed.

“You bet. You were so heavy and could not tell me your apartment number.” She teased. “All you could say is just ‘Give me more’.”

I smiled.

“Oh by the way… back to the topic we chatted yesterday.” Jia paused. “I think you really liked Hyuna as a girl.”

Wait a minute, how did she know it’s Hyuna? I don’t remember myself telling her that?!

 “It’s not Hyuna.” I argued.

“Don’t try to bluff me.” Jia giggled. “I heard someone calling ‘Hyuna’ when he’s knocked out in the taxi.”

I blushed immediately.

Is this really what I feel?

I got confused.

“But…” I hesitated. “I treated her…”

“Like a sister?” Jia completed my sentence. “Do you really think that your stupid actions fit a normal brother? Like getting jealous and drunk because of her, or treating her a lot better than your past girlfriends?” She listed all my weird behavior ever since I met Hyuna.

“You are just afraid of losing her, stupid. You love her.” Jia concluded.

I was stunned.

I could not even remember what she said after that sentence, or how I put down the phone and headed to Hyuna’s dorm.

 

After hesitating for 5 minutes, I knocked the door.

“Who is it?” Hyuna opened the door and she was surprised to see me. “Gikwang oppa?”

“Are you free for a while?” I asked. “I want to talk to you about something.”

I spotted Hyuna’s reluctance in her eyes for a split second and my heart hurts.

Does she really detest me now?

I sighed.

“Ok. Give me a second.” Hyuna said after a while.

 

Hyuna’s POV

I can’t sleep the whole night, because my imagination is running wild.

Gikwang and Jia looked compatible.

I’m just an under-aged girl. He would prefer Jia more, isn’t it?

I stared at my swollen eyes through the mirror.

Fortunately, I did not have a schedule today, if not, I would be scolded by the make-up artist.

I walked to the living room and heard someone knocking on the door.

“Who is it?” I answered the door and was shocked to see Gikwang standing there.

“Are you free for a while?” He asked softly. “I want to talk to you about something.”

I thought about what happened yesterday and was afraid of talking to him again.

As if seeing through my thoughts, he let out a sigh.

My heart ached when I heard it.

“Ok. Give me a second.”

 

After making sure that I looked ok, I walked out of the dorm.

He brought me to the park nearby and we sat on the bench.

 

“Hyuna.” He said with a serious expression. “Do you… really like Lee Joon?”

What?

He asked me out to talk about Lee Joon?

My blood boiled and I glared at him. But he did not see it, because he was looking at somewhere far away.

“If you like him…” He continued with a sigh. “I will… give you my blessing.”

Give what?

WHO NEEDS HIS BLESSING?!

I stood up immediately.

“I don’t need your blessing!” I yelled at him. “You are not even my real brother!”

Tears rolled out of my eyes and I just let them flow.

How could he do this to me? Just because he does not like me, he is going to push me away?!

“How could you take my heart and give it to someone else?” I cried.

Gikwang was shocked when I cried and he wanted to give me a hug. But I pushed him away.

“If you don’t like me… please don’t force me to like someone else.” I begged. “My heart… can’t see another person anymore.”

Gikwang kept silent and I felt ashamed of my confession.

I guess, this marks the end of our relationship…. Right?

Gikwang oppa must have hated me now.

I turned and ran away.

Gikwang caught up with me in a few steps and he pulled me. I refused to look at him.

“Who says, I don’t like you.” He spoke softly.

But I heard it.

Can I really believe what he said? That my love is not one-sided, but two-way now?

A drop of tear rolled into the corner of my lips.

I tasted it, and it was sweet.