Yoseob's Opportunity (Part 1)

Scandal in the Cube

 

Yoseob’s POV

-At Cube Entertainment-

“I’m tired.” I lay on the floor and was panting away. We have been practicing our dance for ‘Bad girl’ for the whole afternoon.

Doojoon kicked my . “Get up. We still need to practice until everyone gets it right.” He growled.

I glared at Dongwoon who was looking at me with those innocent eyes.

THAT ARAB PRINCE. He keeps on messing one part and cannot catch up with the rest of us. Every time he ends, he will need to walk to the back and continue the dance, but he ALWAYS, and I mean, ALWAYS, comes in at the wrong time.

Just then, someone’s phone rang.

“Whose phone is it?” Doojoon asked with an eyebrow raised. Everyone looked at each other.

“Mine.” A hand rose up and everyone turned and saw the owner of the hands.

Him again.

Dongwoon stood up immediately and rushed towards his bag. He took out his phone and answered.

“Hello? Yes… Ahjussi…. I’ll… Yes… Ok… See you later.” Dongwoon whispered into the phone. But I heard it.

Ahjussi?

I suddenly recalled that Dongwoon also called Sohyun’s father as ‘Ahjussi’.

Maybe…

“Get up and continue practicing.” Doojoon ordered and all of us started to dance again.

Sometimes, I wished I was in a ballad group.

 

After the torturous dance practice, I went to the nearest vending machine to get a drink.

When I reached there, I saw Dongwoon talking to Sohyun’s father. Feeling very curious, I took a step closer to listen.

“Take care of Sohyun for me, will you?” Sohyun’s dad told him and put his hand on Dongwoon’s shoulder. “I can only trust you.”

“I will, Ahjussi.” Dongwoon answered.

 

What is this? Father-in-law and son-in-law?

“Your mom called me yesterday.” He paused “I think she’ll be coming to Korea soon.”

“Umma?” Dongwoon looked surprised. “I thought she hated me for being an idol.”

“I think… She’s here to do a check on you.” Sohyun’s dad warned. “There’s a possibility that she might bring you back if you do a bad job. So do work hard.”

“Yes, Ahjussi.” Dongwoon replied. “I’ll get back to practice now.”

 

I hid behind and heard every single word.

When Dongwoon walked passed me, I grabbed him and brought him to the staircase.

“Hyung!” Dongwoon shrieked.

“I heard what you said just now.” I admitted immediately. “Tell me, what’s your relationship with Sohyun?” I was so dying to know the truth.

Dongwoon looked at me and he grinned. “By any chance, Hyung likes Sohyunnie?”

I rolled my eyes. “Yes. So SPEAK.” I barked.

Dongwoon giggled. “I’m her distant cousin. There’s nothing between us.” He clarified.

Cousin?!

YESSSSSSS!!

I was so happy that I almost jumped up for joy. But I have to pretend to remain calm.

“Dongwoon…” I said with a sly smile. “You wanna be an idol right?”

Dongwoon nodded.

“If Hyung helps you to convince your mom to let you stay…” I paused and observed Dongwoon’s anxious expression. “Will you help me do something?”

Dongwoon nodded vigorously.

“YES! I’LL DO ANYTHING! Just tell me, Hyung.”

I smiled and whispered into his ears.

 

Sohyun’s POV

After 4minute’s regular practices, I saw Dongwoon waiting for me outside the practice room.

“Dongwoon oppa?” I called him. “What are you doing here?”

“Come with me.” Dongwoon said and pulled me to the nearest staircase.

“What is it?” I felt a bit weird. Dongwoon is acting strange today.

“Just wanna talk to you about something.” Dongwoon looked around. “I heard Yoseob oppa is interested in you, so how do you think?”

I was caught off guard by his sudden question.

“What? Interested in me?” I repeated.

Dongwoon nodded.

“I… Don’t know.” I answered.

This is just too sudden.

“You don’t like him?” Dongwoon said loudly, with his eyes wide opened.

I thought for a while.

“I don’t dislike him.” I confessed.

“Then you like him?” Dongwoon looked excited. “You like him, right?!” He exclaimed.

I stared at his change of expression. He looked so curious.

Since Dongwoon oppa is closer with me, I decided to tell him how I feel.

“Yoseob oppa is a nice guy.” I said. “But he’s too childish sometime. I like guys who are manlier and could take care of others.” I explained.

“I’m still young now and I need to focus on my career.” I continued. “Oppa, you know I have to take care of Taehyunnie and Sujeongie. I don’t have time for relationships.”

There, I said everything.

Dongwoon stared at me and sighed. “Sohyunnie, you’re just 15 this year, you don’t need to carry everything yourself. Oppa can help you too.” He grinned.

“Thanks.” I smiled.

 

Yoseob’s POV

I hid at the stairs below and heard every word Sohyunnie said.

I realized that Sohyunnie needs a man to take care of her and her family.

I’ll become stronger

I made a promise with myself.

 

-Back at the dorm-

I googled for the term “Man”.

1124980298108474209148 results came out.

I almost fainted.

“Is it really that hard to become a man?” I complained and Doojoon who walked past, heard what I said.

“You finally decided to become a man?” Doojoon laughed. “I thought you love to be a kid, despite your age.” He said sarcastically.

I pouted my lips. “I’m not a kid.” I whined and stomped away.

“Now that is being a kid.” Junhyung pointed at me.

“Fine, fine, fine.” I sat on the sofa. “Teach me.” I told them. “I want to be a man.”

Doojoon put his hand on his chin and looked at me seriously.

“Look at you, you’re too thin and weak.” He held my hand up. “Do more training. Gain some muscle first.”

Hyunseung and Gikwang laughed.

“I’ll help you with that.” Gikwang promised.

“Why did you want a change so suddenly?” Junhyung asked.

“For someone special.” I admitted.

The others started ‘whoo-ing’ away.

“Do we know her?” Doojoon grinned. His eyes were sparkling.

I refused to answer and they gave up on interrogating me.

“To win over a girl…” Gikwang said. “You need to give her what she wants sometimes, but also don’t let her get everything. It’s like playing tug-o-war. You can’t let her win, but you can’t let her lose.”

I took a pen and a piece of A4 paper to note down what he said. Gikwang was the ladies’ man, he’s the pro.

“Sometimes, you need to be a bad boy, it’s the trend these days.” Junhyung explained. “Girls just like bad boys.”

“Bad boy?” I repeated, feeling a bit confused.

“Just like Bi saengbaenim.” Junhyung added on.

‘Like Bi’ I wrote it down.

 

“A man should help girls do some chores, such as holding their bags and so.” Hyunseung grinned.

“Don’t be too honest with her about your feelings.” Doojoon said. “She’ll take advantage of it. Maintain your coolness. Don’t start talking non-stop like what you used to be.”

I was busy taking down the notes and listening to what they said.

“Hyung.” Dongwoon came and sit beside me. “She would love it if you take care of her family.”   

After half an hour of discussion, my list was full.

“So many things to do?!” I read it again. “Why is being a man so difficult?” I complained again.