Never ready

OUR BIG MAMA

“So are you guys coming?” Joonmyeon asked and the family turned to him with confused faces making him sigh. He has been talking since the supper started but everyone was busy in their own world and food that they didn’t even heard what the poor Joonmyeon said.

 

“Can you repeat the last part, honey? We didn’t quite catch that.” Hyori aunty asked and Joonmyeon repeated, but this time, he said it briefly knowing that his family will drift off again.

“Our university is having a fund raising program for a week and there will be lot’s of stores and booths. The funds earned will be donated in an orphanage of incapable children. Are you guys coming?” he said and the family chorused an ‘ohhh’.

Even Miho and Eun Ae got the hang of not noticing Joonmyeon. It’s not like they do it on purpose, it just… happens.

 

“When is it?” Jongdae asked. “It’s starting this Monday.” Joonmyeon said and the latter turned to their mom with a smile. “Omma, let’s go after rehab.” He said and the mother excitedly agreed, happy that her Jongdae wants to go out of the house.

“We’ll go after Eun’s shift.” Minseok said and the two looked at each other before exchanging cheesy smiles that made the maknaes cringing, even CL.

“We’ll go after our classes. We’ll drive the maknaes with us.” Miho chimed and secretly intertwined her hand with Yixing’s under the table.

“I’ll try.” Kris and Luhan chorused. Their schedules are really tight these days and couldn't promise anything. But they will try.

“If there’s food, we’re in.” Hyori and her daughter said.

“Are we going?” Baek asked the busy-eating-Amber and the girl nodded at him. “Sure. Pick me up after my photo-shoot.” She said.

Then, everyone turned to the unusually quiet Chanyeol who was playing with his food until Sehun nudged him. The older looked up and saw not only the maknae was looking at him but the entire table.

 

“Is there something wrong, Yeollie?” Mrs. Kim asked and Chanyeol was quick to flash his smile and told them that he was fine and that he was tired because he had a lot of part time jobs lately. But the brothers knew it was something more and they’re going to squeeze the truth out of him right after supper.

Ever since Chanyeol returned from his school trip, he has been quiet and busier. It got the family worried but the happy virus just brushed it off telling them that he’s saving for something and that he’s just stressed about his finals.

 

When everyone finished eating, the girls, Miho and Eun Ae decided to help washing the dishes while Mrs. Kim and aunt Hyori were the ones who put away the leftovers and CL and Amber clearing up the table while the boys decided to have their brother meeting in the bathroom.

 

“So what’s bothering you, Yeol?” Baek asked. After all, he’s considered the closest with the giant. 

“I told you, hyung. I’m just tired. Stop worrying about me.” The younger said only to get slapped by a wet towel by Luhan. “You tell us or we’ll drown you.” The elder said and Chanyeol knew he had to tell.

He mentally prepared himself of a beating and scolding, or maybe, disownment, and took a deep breath before looking at his brothers. “Just don’t kill me, okay? I can’t die now.” He said and the brothers felt nervous about their brother’s statement. Chanyeol never says anything like this as a joke. If those words came out of his mouth, it means he really did something.

 

“I got someone pregnant.” He said and that was all it took to make Mrs. Kim, who was listening through the door, faint.

 

OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~

 

“You mean, I’m a grandma now? Is that really true, Chanyeol?” the still shaking Mrs. Kim asked her son as Nurse Eun handed her a glass of water.

The boys were startled when the heard a loud thump at the door followed by Amber’s panicking voice calling their mom. And upon hearing his girlfriend’s voice, Baekhyun immediately ran out of the bathroom only to be punched in the face for going out . It was a chaos until Hyori smashed the vase she had beside her and shouted a scary “CALM THE DOWN OR IMMA KILL !”

 

“I’m sorry omma.” Chanyeol apologized and was trying to hide his tears. It surprised him that none of his brothers were throwing a fit or punching him to death, but at the same time, he felt bad because it must’ve been shocked them, mostly to his hyungs.

“It was an accident, Yeol.” Jongdae, who was sitting on his wheelchair at the end of the sofa Chanyeol was sitting on, said. “For all we know that girl could’ve pushed herself unto you since you don’t even know her existence until you found her sleeping beside you.” He added and Chanyeol didn’t know what to say. 

"There's a lot possibilities what happened, hyung. But I'm sure and everyone here too, that you won't touch anyone intimately especially if you don't know them." Tao said and everyone kind of agreed. "Heck! You can't even shake stranger's hands even if omma tells you to." Jongin added and the ladies chuckled at the dorky Chanyeol.

 

At the second night of his trip in Jeju, he and his classmates decided to have a party and, of course, the famous Kim Chanyeol will never be absent. The plan was having a drink with the guys and then went to their hotel rooms afterwards because they still have a guided tour in the next morning. But it seems like Chanyeol’s classmates had another plans that when Chanyeol got into the venue, the room was filled with drunken people his age, female schoolmates and classmates were there too, some making out and some playing games.

He was about to go back to his room when his friends spotted him and dragged him to their table. Of course, they didn’t let Chanyeol go without having a couple of shot, leaving out the details that those shots meant for Chanyeol were the strongest type of alcohol the hotel had.

Chanyeol has a high tolerance when it comes to alcohol, but that didn’t make him any less human, that in his nth shot, he was sent to oblivion. 

He woke up the next morning with a terrible hangover and a terrible mistake he didn’t even remember how happened.

 

Then, a few days after their school trip, the girl who slept with him confessed that she liked Chanyeol since elementary and that she was pregnant of his child, the fruit of what happened in their school trip.

Chanyeol didn’t know how to respond at the shocking news but he didn’t had the heart to tell the girl, who he later found out to be named Park Hye Min, to abort the child nor leave her alone with his child. So he told her that he’ll be responsible with the child and that he’ll somehow take care of them both. That’s why he had been working non-stop lately, to start earning for her and the babies needs.

Chanyeol was never ready to have a child, but he was not ready to deny and run away from his mistakes as well. One thing their mother taught them was to always face their problems even if the battle is 1 vs 100. But he planned on hiding it to his family until Hye Min was ready. He knows he’s never ready for a relationship too especially when it’s with a girl he never knew until he wakes up with her beside his bed. But for the baby and his mistakes, he’s willing to try.

He’s willing to do his best because of the child, just like how their mother did when their fathers left them to her.

 

 

“Is the mother... nice?” CL asked looking worriedly at his cousin. She’s disappointed at her oppa but things happens. Why get all worked up with something that’s already there? Plus, the determination in Chanyeol’s eyes was undeniably strong and it made everything right for them. Maybe, this child is a blessing in disguise.

“She’s acting normal so far. She gets a little moody sometimes but I think it’s because of her pregnancy.” Chanyeol answered.

“What about her parents? What did they say?” Mrs. Kim asked. “Her parents are living in America. She’s just here to finish the school year and follow them there but the plan’s changed. We’re planning on talking with them when Hye Min is ready. She’s really scared.” Chanyeol said and the living room was, again, silent despite of having 18 persons in it.

 

“Are you sure you want this, Chanyeol?” Wufan was the one who asked. His dongsaeng can’t even pack his things without forgetting anything, how much more taking care of a family.

“I’m sure I’m not ready for any of this, hyung. But I can’t leave them." Chanyeol gave his hyung an apologetic look. He knew he expected more of him, but what's done is done. "Hye Min has my child now, and even though it was a mistake, I’ll never abandon my kid. Omma didn’t raise us like that.” He added and that, somehow, made Kris' worries at peace. “To be honest, I’m really scared right now. I might lose you guys, mom, everything, just to amend for my mistake but I’m still keeping them.” He added and sniffled, finally letting his tears out and wiped them away as quick as it went.

And with that, the room became silent again.

 

 

“Okay, then.” Mrs. Kim broke the silence and made the entire house turn to her. To their surprise, she had already recovered from her shock and instead of a frown in her face, the mother's face was serene and from the looks of it, she’s not unhappy about what happened.

 

“Is that it, mom?” Amber asked, confused only to be silenced by Baekhyun’s hand covering . “Aish, shut up.” Baekhyun whispered and Amber bit his hand and glared at him. Well, that’s how the two works nowadays.

 

“I think Chanyeol did the right decision.” Mrs. Kim said and smiled at her son. “I’m not saying that getting someone pregnant is right but the part where you take responsibility of it, saves your life from being grounded and getting beaten by your brothers and the girls.” The mother continued. “So, when can we meet her?” she asked and everyone looked at the dazzled Chanyeol.

 

They aren't mad at me? He looked at his family’s face and saw nothing but smiles, even his Luhan hyung. And if he's not mistaken, they're looking at him with proud eyes.

 

“Stop looking at us like we’re going to disown and kill you, Hyung.” Kyungsoo finally said and the others chuckled knowing what was on Chanyeol’s mind. They were upset and disappointed at first, but hey, everyone makes mistakes. Why not look at this in a positive way?

“Yeah, we’re still mad at you for getting a kid before Minseok hyung and noona but it’s not like we could turn back time and not let you go to that trip.” Joonmyeon added and the said hyung blushed like his partner.

“I’m sure our niece or nephew will be so cute, he or she will be the end of me.” Jongin giggled already excited for the baby only to get slapped on the thigh by the maknae. “Calm down hyung. There are 9 months to go until we can finally see her.” Sehun said but Jongin was too busy in his own world to mind the younger while Chanyeol watched his family celebrate of him becoming a father.

 

“She better be a girl or I will kick your for not being able to make one, oppa.” CL announced only to get hit by her mom. 

“I’m so excited!!” even the girls giggled.

 

“So does this means, you’re okay with it?” Chanyeol asked and the family stopped talking and turned to him. 

“It’s already here, so yeah.” Hyori spoke in behalf of the family and Chanyeol swore he could never predict his family’s reactions. “Oh, invite her to Joonmyeon’s university. Let’s all meet her there! That, if she wants to, that is.” Mrs. Kim chirped and looked at her son. “She can move in with us if she wants too.” She added.

“Thanks mom.” Chanyeol could only say that and hugged his mother. “Thanks guys.” He said as he finally let his cries out letting his family know how scary and hard it was for the young man who was soon becoming a father.

 

It won't be an easy road to take, but my family is with me and I'll be strong and make them all proud. I love my family, they're not perfect but close enough.

 

OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~

 

OHORAT!