Persuasive heart

OUR BIG MAMA

“Can’t I go with you?” Amber asked Kris with a frown. Kris was going to the agency to take his schedules and will be back late because of a photo shoot but Amber wanted to go with him. “Just stay with mom, Amber. You’ll just get in the way.” Kris told and the girl frowned even more at the cold shoulder Kris was giving her.

 

It has always been like this. Ever since she confessed to him and he rejected her, Kris became cold to her. Maybe it was because Kris didn’t want to give her false hopes but falling out of love with someone is never easy and Amber Liu doesn’t really give up easily.

She thought that if she could convince their president to make Kris take care of her for a week, she could finally have the chance to make him fall for her. But it looks like it’s never going to happen.

 

“I won’t bother you, promise.” Amber insisted but Kris ignored her and got in his car. He was about to drive away when the passenger door opened and Amber invited herself in to the car.

 

“What are you doing?” Kris frowned at her while Amber frowned back. “Why do you hate me so much, Kris?” she asked. “I already know that you can't return my feelings but treating me like this won’t really stop me from liking you.” She said and Kris pretended not to hear as he waited for the girl to exit his car.

“I confessed to you even though I know you don’t like me and I clearly said that I’d wait for you and that I’ll do my best so you could like me. But don’t you think treating me coldly like this is too much? Can’t you even treat me as a friend?” she asked. “I still like you, I’ll say that and I’m not giving up anytime soon but I hope you don’t get bothered by it. I hope you could at least act nice to me because it hurts to see my efforts going into nothing.” She said, her eyes starting to tear up.

 

“I’m sorry Amber. But my answer will still be the same.” Kris sighed and looked at the girl who was already crying. “I just don’t want you to put much hope in me, in us, because I’m not ready for a relationship yet and you know how much my career means to me and I have a family to take care of. And… I don’t see you the same way you see me. You’re like a sister to me, Ber.” He said and Amber covered her ears upon hearing the exact same words the day Kris rejected her.

“Sorry Kris, can’t hear you.” She gave him a hurt smile and opened the door. “I’ll see you later.” She said before darting out of the car and Kris could only sigh and drove away while Amber watched him go.

I’ll never give up on you, Kris. She told herself as she watched her first love go.

 

“Well, that didn’t go well.” Amber almost jumped in shock and turned to see Baekhyun grinning at her.

“You heard? You saw?!” Amber asked in panic while Baekhyun enjoyed watching Amber’s anxiety attack. “Maybe ~” He sing-song only to get hit by the girl. “OW! Meannie” Baekhyun pouted and playfully pushed the girl away from him making Amber glare at him.

The two stood in the front yard in silence as they enjoyed the warmth of the sun.

 

“So, you like my hyung, huh?” Baekhyun asked. He was about to go to his class when he heard Amber’s voice and ‘accidentally’ over-heard their conversation.

“Yeah.” Amber admitted seeing that she couldn’t hide it with any excuses. “But he doesn’t like me the same way though.” She added and Baekhyun only nodded knowing that that hyung of his wasn’t ready for any relationship yet. Or that was Kris used to say whenever their family asked him about his love life. But everyone knew that Kris’ priorities right now was his family and career.

“Sorry.” Baekhyun said making Amber look at him. “In my brother’s behalf, that is.” He said and smiled at the girl while Amber just gave him a shrug, not trusting her voice because it could break anytime.

She’s used to Kris turning him down, but it never mean it didn’t hurt.

 

“Omma baked cookies.” Baekhyun tried to cheer their new found sister and Amber turned to him with a suspicious look. “Are you trying to cheer me up, Baek?” she asked and Baekhyun scoffed.

“Duhh… If mom sees you looking depressed and , she’ll get worried and we don’t want that.” He said and Amber was a little bit disappointed by that answer. She was expecting that he was doing that because he didn’t want her to be sad. But on second thought, she’s not a real family. Plus, of course, they’d worry for their mom first before everything.

 

“Oh, okay.” She said and was about to go inside when she felt an arm on her shoulder. “And of course, I don’t want my new brother to be sad.” Baekhyun said as they both went in to the house again. “It’s my duty as the princess of the hose to cheer my brothers and you’re one of them now.” Baekhyun smiled and Amber could only blink, touched by her new found diva of a brother.

Baekhyun did referred to her as a 'brother' and Amber kind of didn't hate it. In fact, she liked it: being one of Baelhyun's brothers and a part of their family even for a limited time.

 

After eating cookies with their mother and Amber, Baekhyun went to university, dropping the maknaes on his way leaving Mrs. Kim, Amber and Jongdae in the house.

 

 

“So boring!” Amber grunted as she laid on the sofa, dealing with the big house’s silence. Everyone was at school or working and Mrs. Kim went to buy something at the pharmacy with Kungkung leaving her alone in the house with no company.

She lingered in silence for a while and closed her eyes trying to fall asleep, but when she got tired of trying, she sat up and decided to tour the Kim’s residence by her own.

 

The Kim brothers toured her already yesterday but now that she was alone in the house, it seemed bigger and since there was nothing to do, she might as well find something to past time with.

She toured the ground floor first passing the kitchen, big bathroom, dining room, backyard, living room and the front yard. Then, she went to the basement and passed Chanyeol’s computer room filled with wires and monitors and then, Kris’ large wardrobe and Luhan’s locked workshop where he does his floor planning.

After touring the lower level, she went up stairs and walked past the twelve rooms including the brothers' rooms and Mrs. Kim’s where the boys always sleeps together. She didn’t enter the room the Kims told her not to go even near though and saved it for the last.

She thought, maybe it was just some place where they hid the old photos of the brothers’ fathers and an unused room full of junk.

 

After touring, even the attic, she then went to the first floor and went to the room she saved for last.

I bet those guys’ dads are handsome as heck. She told to herself as she turned the doorknob that to her surprise was unlocked. And with that, she entered only to see a sleeping figure of gentle handsome looking young man.

 

A person?! She stared at Jongdae with wide eyes as she entered the room to take a closer look and checked that the figure was real human. She went beside the bed and saw Jongdae’s chest heaving calmly as he breaths.

They never told me they have another brother. She stared at Jongdae and couldn’t help to admit that the boy was handsome as his brothers. He has that gentle and caring look and she was sure that the boy possessed a great and big heart just like his family's.

 

Well… that was what she thought until Jongdae opened her eyes and glared at the stranger in front of him.

 “Who are you and what are you doing here?!” Amber was taken aback by the bitterness of the boy’s voice. The gentle and kind looking boy disappeared and got replaced by a glare-killing boy.

 

“H-hey.” She tried to greet but Jongdae’s glare didn’t faltered. “Why are you here?” he asked and even if he didn’t say any curse or insults, Amber felt something stung inside her. It was like he already hated her even though they just saw each other.

“I’m Amber. Staying here for a week.” She said and gathered her guts to seat on the chair on the edge of the bed. The boy could get up and kill her then and there but something told her that he won’t. The Kims won’t have a heartless man in their house.

 

“I’m Kris’ label mate.” She told and looked around the room. She could see that it was well kept but at the same time, someone kept on messing it up. The piece of broken plates told her so.

“You’re one of the brothers, right?” she asked and Jongdae, of course, didn’t reply.

“Who told you to enter my room?” he spat out. “Get out of my room and my house.” He said but Amber stayed on her place. She’s sure that the boy was not bad as he seems. He just wanted to look like that.

 

“Why didn’t you go down and joined us yesterday?” She asked and felt the boy stiffened. “Your family made a welcoming party yesterday and we played ga—“ “Did someone asked for the bull you did?” Jongdae scoffed at her and if he could he would’ve kicked that 'boy' off his bed already.

“Why are you so rude?” Amber frowned at him and Jongdae returned a glare. “Get out of here!” he shouted and threw the first thing he could reach to the ‘boy’.

“HEY!” Amber stood up, shocked at the boy’s actions. “No need to be so violent!” she glared back but Jongdae was already breathing heavily, throwing things at her as he shouted “GET OUT!” and more insults at her.

Then, the door opened to see Mrs. Kim’s shocked face and Chanyeol panicking to see Amber in the same room as their Jongdae.

 

“Take Amber out, I’ll take care of your brother.” Mrs. Kim said to Chanyeol and the son did was told. Amber let herself be dragged downstairs and readied herself for the scolding she’ll receive later.

 

The shouting didn’t stop until afternoon and Amber just sat on the living room, alone, as she listened to Chanyeol and Mrs. Kim’s pleads for Jongdae to calm down.

 

Then, the maknaes arrived and seeing how Amber was behaving and their mother not with her, they knew what happened. Someone entered a room that she should’ve never entered.

 

“So you’ve met our hyung, huh?” Sehun sat across Amber’s seat. “Mom made cookies.” She tried to change the subject but the brothers knew that she was shocked. They know how violent and harsh Jongdae’s words could be.

 

“He’s depressed.” Chanyeol’s voice was heard and they all turned to see Chanyeol, still panting as he went down the stairs. His shirt was crumpled and some buttons were missing.

“That’s Jongdae hyung, our seventh brother.” Chanyeol sat beside Sehun while Jongin and Tao sat on the singles. “He and Baekhyun are from the same father.” He explained while Amber kept silent. Not only because the happy virus was serious but because she was startled by the events happened earlier.

If glares could kill, she’d be dead right now because Jongdae’s glares were made from hell. Amber was sure of it.

 

“So why was he…” she finally spoke. “…like that?” she asked and the brothers saw that question coming. And with that, Chanyeol sighed and prepared to explain to Amber what happened.