A caring brother: Kim Kyungsoo

OUR BIG MAMA

December 24 (00:52)

 

The 12 boys were all outside the operating room waiting for their aunts and mother to come out. It has been 2 hours since the operation started and the nervousness they felt, even though they know their aunts are a great doctor, never felt their bodies.

 

“ACHOO!” Jongin sneezed for the nth time making everyone turn to him. He was already wearing Yixing’s jacket adding with his but he was still cold. His fever was starting to rise up again and Joonmyeon knew that his brother had to rest. But he also knew that Jongin, as well as every single one of them, wants to stay and wait for the operation to finish and see their mom even if it’s just her sleeping form.

Kris took off his jacket and covered his younger brother with it. “Are you hungry?” he asked Jongin who looked at him with a tired gaze. Wufan then looked at his brothers and remembered that they skipped supper because they all had a panic attack when they saw their aunt inject something on their mom that was some anesthetic.

 

“We skipped supper.” Kyungsoo silently mumbled enough for his brothers to hear as no one was in the corridor. “Mom’s going to scold us.” He added but no one dared to say anything because they didn’t want to leave. And with that, Kyungsoo sighed and stood up from his seat making the sleeping Yixing jolt awake. “I’ll buy us something to eat.” He told closing his jacket ready to go. “Call me when mom goes out.” he said but he was stopped by Luhan.

“It’s cold outside.” Luhan told taking off his scarf and put it on his younger brother. “Where are you going to buy?” the elder asked and Kyungsoo shrugged. “I think I saw a 24h convenience store near the hospital. I’d just buy us coffee, bread and anything edible.” He replied.

“I’ll come with you.” Minseok told as he carefully stood up, telling Yixing to take his place because Baekhun was leaning on him sleeping. “You can’t possibly carry all of them. And it’s quite late, it’s dangerous to go alone.” He said and Kris nodded.

Chanyeol, who was surprisingly wide awake, listened to his brothers talk as he kept the sick Jongin warm in his arms. “Wait.” He called and the brothers turned to him. He then took off his beanie and gave it to his brother. “Put this on, Kyunggie. It’s cold outside.” He said and Minseok took it and put it on Kyungsoo.

"You're wearing thin clothes." Joonmyeon told standing up too and put his scarf on Kyungsoo making sure that his younger brother was well protected from the cold. "Don't stay out too long." the doctor on training added and Kyungsoo responded with a comfortable "Nee." Hyungs are still hyungs no matter what age they have.

 

Kyungsoo doesn’t seem like it but he’s one of the youngest by just one year older than Tao. The fourth youngest though acts mature for his age and in their household, he was the one who takes care of his brothers even the elders. He was the one who can scold the elders and younger and when needed, he even hits them to get them do the things they have to do.

It was always like this but for the 9th born, taking care of his brothers is something he just naturally does.

 

When they were still little, he saw how his mother struggled in taking care of his younger and elder brothers. Back then, when Sehun’s father died, everything went downhill for their family: Joonmyeon was in and out of the hospital, Luhan’s father was still fighting for Luhan’s custody, and Minseok, their eldest hyung was still in his last year of high school but already working part time jobs to help their mother to support their family. The kid saw how their mother almost give up her time to eat and sleep just for them and he knew that he should at least help her by taking care of small things like the house chores.

He knew can’t be the one spoiled by his brothers even if he is young and instead, he should be the one who takes care of them. Because he knows that he was not the only one who was suffering and has sad past (mostly because of how they were separated from their fathers).

 

For Kyungsoo’s case though, he never had the chance to meet his father or know his name because he preferred not to know the person who his mother on her way home and the cause of Chanyeol’s father leaving their mother the moment he knew she was harassed and pregnant with a ’s child.

Mrs. Kim though never made him feel that he was a devil’s child and showered him lots of love a child deserves. At first, his mother didn’t tell him anything about his father until one day, after 8 years of nothing, Chanyeol’s father broke one of their windows cursing outside their house and told them that Kyungsoo was a son of a and the reason why he left the family.

 

Until now, he still remembers that day ten years ago, that bittersweet day when he knew the truth about him and his father through the drunken Mr. Park who was knocked out by Luhan and Tao after saying harsh things. And the day his family have totally proven their love for him that he can never doubt.

 

Flashback

 

The Kim’s house was messy and chaotic with the elementary schoolers (Jongin, Tao, Kyungsoo, Chanyeol, Jongdae and Baekhyun) scattered around the house. They just arrived from their classes with the middle schoolers, Yixing and Joonmyeon, picking them up on their way home. Wufan, who was also still in middle school back then, went to pick the five year old Sehun from kindergarten while Luhan and Minseok was still in school.

 

“We’re home!” Wufan chimed as he entered the house with a five year old Sehunnie holding his hand, the five year old’s face was covered with a red knitted scarf his Benben hyung wrapped him with so he wouldn’t get cold.

“Wee hhhoomeee ~” Sehun copied his hyung with his cute-muffled voice because of the scarf.

 

The youngers, upon hearing their brothers' voice, ran happily towards the door to welcome them and tell them about their school.

“Sehunnie!! Sehunnie!” Tao hugged their little brother who began squirming until Jongdae went and carried Sehun in to the house with Tao jumping around to reach his brother that was carried by his Jongdae hyung. Tao was pretending to be a shark and Sehun was screaming, laughing as he hugged his Jongdae hyung for his dear life.

Jongin though smiled at his younger brother saying his “Welcome home.” and went directly to his tall Benben hyung who picked him up with a hug. “How was school?” Wufan asked the 6 year old Jongin with a smile as he carried him in to the house.

“Gege! The teacher gave me a star!” Jongin told with his almost twinkling eyes as he struggled on raising his sleeve to let his hyung see the star that was stamped on the back of his hand. “LOOK! LOOK!” he showed and frowned when he saw his hyung looking down, probably looking out so he wouldn’t step on the already sleeping Yixing on the floor.

The little Jongin then placed both of his hands on his hyung’s cheeks making the older look at him. “Hyung ~” he whined pouting. “The Star! The star!” the little Jongin told and Wufan pretended to be awed and praised his little brother well before settling his brother down telling him to play with the others so he could wake Yixing up and tell him to sleep upstairs on the bed and help Joonmyeon prepare their after school snack.

 

Jongdae, Sehun and Baekhyun went upstairs to help Sehun change to comfortable clothes as they asked their maknae about his kindergarten and giggling on how their brother told them about what he learned with his cute voice and lisp.

“Then, there wath(was) a big big biiiig thnow(snow) ball and they threw it to the tall twee(tree)!” the little Sehun told spreading his arms widely and cutely and the two hyungs pretended to be shocked at their dongsaeng’s story.

“Jinjja?!” Baekhyun asked and the maknae nodded with his big wide eyes telling the older he wasn't lying. “Jinjja hyung!!” the younger replied and the two elder just giggled. “Let’s go down stairs. Mom baked some cookies this morning before going to work.” Jongdae told and the three went downstairs with Sehun in the middle holding his hyung’s hands singing “Cookies ~ cookies ~” as they do so.

 

In the kitchen, the 3rd grade Kyungsoo and 4th grade Chanyeol were setting the table while the 12 year old Joonmyeon was pouring milk on 12 glasses that was on the table. Benben was placing 3 cookies beside each glass of milk and after finishing in preparing them, they called his brothers and they all gathered around the table taking their seats.

 

“Gege, where’s Lulu hyung?” Kyungsoo asked his Benben hyung as they wait for their 2 edest brothers to come home and enjoy together the delicious once every three months snack they could afford.

“They’ll be here any min—“ the eldest of the 10 was about to say when the door bell rang making the maknaes jump out of their seats and run towards the door to welcome their hyungs. One thing the maknaes loved was welcoming their hyungs and getting carried in to the house again.

The house was filled with the maknaes’ voices calling their hyungs excitedly as they got carried in, Luhan went in carrying the seven year old Tao while Minseok carried Jongin and Sehun on each arm.

“Welcome home hyungs!” the other brothers who were seated around the table welcomed them as the two hyungs and the maknaes sat back to their seat with Sehun starting to tell again his kindergarten adventures and as expected, the two hyungs did their “Woah!” “Daebakk!” and praised the maknae well and Jongin as well for his earned star.

“Let’s eat. The milk will get cold.” Kyungsoo told happily and everyone chorused a thanks before eating their treats happily.

Having three cookies each and a glass of milk was something special for the brothers since Sehun's father died. They couldn’t afford such snack to eat every day anymore but Mrs. Kim, wanting her sons to at least have some reward for the past few months, did extra shifts so she could bake her sons sweets once in a while that made the 12 happy, especially the maknaes. Despite of the financial difficulties, the Kim family never skipped the three main meals of the day and Mrs. Kim did her best for that not to happen. She worked at 4 jobs and will work more just to make sure her sons are eating well and healthy.

 

The 12 were chatting happily about school things and more when the door opened making them turn and smile while the maknaes were already running towards their mother. “OMMA!” “MAMA” “OMMONI” “OMMA! OMMA!” the maknaes cheered as they jumped happily waiting for their mother to carry them.

The mother, tired of working, smiled happily as she was welcomed warmly by her lovely kids and kissed them one by one while the maknaes started their stories about their school at the same time. Mrs. Kim, even though she couldn’t understand a thing, just gasped and did the “Jinjja?!” “Woah!” "That's amazing!!" before praising her sons to their hearts content.

The elder brothers, knowing their mom was tired from work, welcomed their mom with kisses before carrying the maknaes for their mother and led them mom to the dining room to continue eating their snacks together.

The whole family, for the first time in the past six months since Sehun’s dad died, laughed and happily ate together. Chanyeol and Baekhyun were busy telling a joke while everyone was laughing, not noticing Jongdae secretly taking Chanyeol’s piece of cookie and eating it whole before pretending to laugh at the joke.

It was the same happy family even though the father, Sehun’s father, was gone and everyone was glad that they managed to get through such things together.

 

“Omma! Omma!!” Sehun tried to get into the conversation too and tell his mom and brothers about the snowball game they did at school but the elders were too busy laughing not noticing the frowning maknae until Yixing saw him and let him seat on the table for everyone to hear.

“Alright Sehunnie. Tell omma the snowball game.” Baekhyun who was still laughing at their own joke made way for his dongsaeng and urged their little brother to tell his story which the younger happily started.

“At thchool we played thnow ball game with theongthengnim and then – and then –“ the little one told excitedly talking and panting. “Thunghun made a big biiiiig thnow ball and the throw it on a twee and then – and then—“

PANG! Everyone was startled by the loud sound of glass shattering making them all turned towards the source of the sound, their living room.

Mrs. Kim frowned and turned to her sons. Yixing was already hugging the startled maknae who stopped talking while Tao and Jongin were already beside their Luhan hyung who gathered the two between his legs and table.

“Stay here. Omma will be back.” the mother told his startled children and the boys disagreed immediately. “Ommoni. Stay here. I’ll go.” Minseok told as he ruffled Baekhyun and Kyungsoo’s hair before going to the living room, Wufan following him. Not even a minute has passed since the loud sound when they heard someone calling their mother’s name.

 

Minseok and Wufan went to the living room to see their window broken, probably by the big rock that was lying on the sofa, thrown by the crazy man who was now cursing outside their house.

Mrs. Kim heard the man calling her name and with that, he told Luhan not to let anyone out before going out with her two sons. Once she was out of the house, she gasped at the sight in front of her. It was her ex-husband, Chanyeol’s father, drunk and cursing in front of their house.

“Yah! KIM HYE JUNG! GET OUT OF THAT HOUSE, YOU !”

 

OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~

 

I decided to mix the Christmas special with the real plot

ㅋㅋㅋㅋㅋ

Hope that's okay ~

I'll try to finish this today and update more if I can

Love me well <3 ~