We are here, Omma

OUR BIG MAMA

The trip to the house was silent. No one dared to talk and all was heard was Baekhyun’s sniffles. They reached the house and took everything they needed to take and hurriedly went back to the car.

It was 20 minutes drive to go to the hospital and Baekhyun felt like a nervous wreck. He was already starting to panic thinking if he could fix his and his dongsaeng's problem with that short amount of time. And when he saw the sign telling them they were near, Baekhyun thought he should just go straight to the point.

“What happened to us, Chanyeol?” he asked. He could feel his brother twitch in shock. “Why are you avoiding me?” Chanyeol looked at his brother then to the road. “I’m mad at you.” The later said and Baekhyun couldn’t respond to that. “…because you broke your promise.” He explained and the older tried to remember which promise he broke but when he couldn’t xome up with one, he just stayed quiet for the latter to elaborate.

 

“What happened to us Jaejoong being the 15th most important?” Chanyeol parked the car on the side lane. “You said we’ll always be the first, hyung. And I believed you.” The latter said blinking his eyes to not let the tears fall. “I was sad because you don’t want us anymore.” He sniffled. “But even so, I can’t help to be worried because I don’t want you to be hurt by your boyfriend and it makes me more upset because I don’t want to care about you anymore.” He cried and Baekhyun cried along. I’m so sorry Chanyeol.

“No. no.” Baekhyun shook his head as he took his brother’s arm and hugged it. “I’ll never ever not want you guys. I’ll always need you no matter what, Chanyeol.” The hyung sobbed. “I’m sorry I made you feel that way and that I didn’t believe Jongdae and you’re still my favorite brother, you guys are still my first priority and it’ll never change dongsaeng.” He said. “I’m sorry if I didn’t notice that I’m not spending time with you guys anymore, for being stupid and for making you feel like I don’t care about you anymore.” He apologized, tears flowing non-stop, just like his younger brother.

“I’m sorry too, hyung. I was selfish. I just want you to be with us and not just with Jaejoong.” Chanyeol said and Baekhyun shook his head. “No, yeol. You don’t have to apologize. I was the stupid one. I should’ve trusted you guys more about him.” He said and Chanyeol sniffled before giving his hyung a confused face.

He knew Jaejoong was cheating on his brother because he believes in Jongdae's words but he thought that the bastard wouldn't break it out for now to his hyung because of their situation. He thought that bastard would actually considering posponing breaking his hyung's heart but he was so wrong.

 

Baekhyun looked down and wiped his tears. “I saw him kissing another guy earlier.” He confessed and the confusion on Chanyeol’s face became a frown. Baekhyun mentally prepared himself to hear Chanyeol's scolding but all he heard was a concerned and worried question. "Are you alright?" the dongsaeng asked and Baekhyun looked up at his brother.

"It's sad. But I'm not too afected by it. I think deep down inside me, when Jongdae told me that Jaejoong was cheating on me, I unknowingly believed our brother. I was just kind of pissed off back then and decided to ignore him. Plus, I didn't want to believe it because I really liked that bastard." he said and Chanyeol was relieved.

“Did you use hapkido on him?” the latter asked and Baekhyun shook his head no. “He was on the other side.” He answered. “Too bad, huh?” he smiled at his dongsaeng and Chanyeol could only smile, happy that his brother was not too affected by that bastard anymore.

“Yeah.” The younger said and started the engine again. “Are we okay now, Yeollie?” Baekhyun asked and the younger looked at him with that cute childish smile. “Only if hyung sleeps with me tonight.” He said. “I’ve been having nightmares sleeping alone in my room, hyung.“ Chanyeol pouted and Baekhyun didn’t think twice to say “Of course. I’ll sleep with my favorite baby brother in the world!”

 

The two walked in to the hospital with swollen eyes but at the same time, big smiles on their faces. Baekhyun was clinging on his giant baby brother while Chanyeol had his arm on his hyung’s shoulder.

 

“Good eve, Eun Ae-sii!” the brothers greeted the nurse who was in the lobby and the nurse bowed gracefully to the two. She smiled as she watched the two made their way in their brother’s room.

Glad they made up. She thought and went to finish her work. Eun Ae was the nurse in charge of Jongdae. She didn’t really know much about the Kim family but she knew Baekhyun and Chanyeol kind of got into an argument judging by the two were not talking to each other.

She got close with Mrs. Kim though because there are times when Mrs. Kim just couldn’t stand to see her son like lying on the bed and the nurse was the one to comfort her whenever she hides her tears from her sons. Then, Mrs. Kim would always tell the nurse stories about her sons and how playful and lovable all her sons are while the nurse stayed and listened to every word diligently.

 

Every nurse and even doctors were jealous of Nurse Eun Ae because she had been assigned to take care of a handsome patient and gets to see her patient’s brothers on the way. Plus, she could talk to the beautiful ahjumma who was guarding her son.

People on the hospital couldn’t help to say that Nurse Eun Ae really looked great with the family. She has the looks, smart, kind, graceful, she was perfect and everybody loves her including the famous beautiful ahjumma, Mrs. Kim. Others wished for the nurse to get together with one of the brothers while the nurse just laughed it off whenever they mention the matter to her.

For the nurse, duty comes first and love will come her way when God believes it’s time.

 

The other nurses often ask her about the brothers too of course: if they’re nice, and more. But the nurse would always say that the brothers are nice and that’s about that. She did meet them and they always exchange greetings whenever she need to go to Jongdae’s room but they never had any conversation that is not about their brother’s condition.

 

 

BaekYeol went in to the room and saw their family scattered in the room, some studying, some playing, sleeping and chatting.

“We’re back.” The two chorused and since the brothers expected for the two to make up, they didn’t even bother to give the two a glance and just said their nonchalant “Finally.”, “Oh, good.” And “Your ice creams are on the fridge.” by Kyungsoo who protected the two's share of desert from the always hungry maknaes.

 

The brothers then looked at their mother who was sleeping next to their brother, she was getting thinner and thinner.

“She ate three spoons of rice today.” Joonmyeon said seeing their brother’s worried faces. “Yesterday, she ate 5.” Kyungsoo told and the brothers sighed. Their mother was getting weaker everyday and they couldn’t do anything.

“Mom’s going to get sick if she continues like this.” Baekhyun said and Chanyeol agreed. “We should try and talk to her soon.” Luhan said and the brothers who looked like they weren’t listening all silently agreed. Hope she listens.

 

OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~

 

“Omma.” Sehun called his mother’s attention holding a glass of water with his hand and his mother’s medication on the other. “You have to take your medicine.” He told but the mother shook her head. “I’ll take it later. Eun Ae will be here any minute to replace Jongdae’s serum.” She said and the four brothers, Minseok, Sehun, Jongin and Tao, sighed.

“But mom, you have to take care of yourself too.” Jongin insisted. “We let you skip breakfast already and the hyungs will kill us is they find out about it. Can you take the medicine for us, omma?” he pleaded but their mother gave them silence.

“Mama, please.” It was Minseok’s turn to plead. “You’ll get sick if you continue like this.” He said but the mother didn’t pay any heed.

“Mama.” Tao’s voice was heard this time and the family didn’t need to turn to know that the 10th born was already crying. “We don’t want you to get sick. Please, just drink the med—“

“I SAID I’LL TAKE IT LATER! CAN’T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT?!” Mrs. Kim stood up and gave her sons a glare shocking the four. She wanted to take care of her Jongdae first and her sons weren’t letting her do so.

 

“NO WE DON’T OMMA!” Tao shouted, crying. He had enough of this. He understand what their mother wants but that can’t be done. She too has to take care of herself. “We don’t understand HOW you’re taking your health lightly!” he told. “CAN’T YOU SEE? YOU’RE MAKING US WORRY! WE COULDN’T EVEN SLEEP AT NIGHT BECAUSE WE’RE WORRIED ABOUT YOU FAINTING ANYTIME.” He finally said it.

They didn’t want their mother to worry about them knowing that she already has her own worries, but she should know, know that she and Jongdae weren’t the only ones in this world. “CAN’T YOU SEE, MAMA? Hyung is not your only son. We’re here too.” Tao’s voice broke because of his cries.

“Hyung.” Sehun, who had his eyes teary, tried to stop him but the older shook his head. “We need to tell her, Hun. She’ll keep on doing this and get sick if we don’t.” he said and turned to their mom.

“We miss you, a lot. I miss you and it really hurts us to see you getting sick, mama” He said. “I know I’m being selfish, mama. But can’t you take care of hyung and yourself too? We’re not asking you to take care of us anymore and I don’t mind if you don’t sleep at home anymore and that we have to sleep alone in our rooms.” “I won’t whine anymore about Joonmyeon and Benben hyungs' cooking every morning and I won’t cry anymore when we watch horror movies. Just- just take care of yourself, mama.” “We almost lost you and we don’t want to go through that again.” The 10th born cried and ran out of the room.

 

“TAO!” Mrs. Kim, realizing her faults and lacking, looked at her sons left in the room. My babies. “I- I’m sorry.” She tried to find her words as her tears came out of their own. She was too busy taking care of Jongdae that she momentarily forgot about her other sons. It must’ve been really hard for them too and as a mother, she felt really bad about it. “I didn’t mean to.” She wept and Sehun quietly went to hug their mother, silent tears flowing on his cheek.

“Guenchana, omma.” Jongin forced a smile at their mother. He felt bad for not stopping Tao on telling their mom about their situation but he too thought it was better for their mother to know. “Just drink your medicine from now on, hm?” the 11th born said as he blinked his tears away. Still smiling, he took the glass of water and the pill and handed it to their heartbroken mother who took it without any second thoughts.

“I’m sorry, my babies.” Mrs. Kim apologized to her children and the boys could only nod and forgive their mother silently.

 

“I… I’ll just buy some sandwich for, mama.” Minseok rushed out of the room hiding his tears. Their brother was still in a coma, their mother almost forgot about them and almost got sick, his brothers were having a hard time and as the eldest, he felt useless. Can’t I do anything? He asked himself. If he could switch with Jongdae’s place right now, he’d do it. As long as his brothers and mother are happy, Minseok wouldn’t wish for anything more.

 

For the first time, the strong Kim Minseok let his tears fall down as he stood silently in the hallways, his head hung low. Why does it have to happen to us? He asked no one in particular. Can’t we just be happy? Is that too much to ask?

 

“Minseok-ssi?” Minseok’s thoughts got interrupted by a familiar voice. Wiping his tears away and composing himself, Minseok looked up and met eyes with the nurse’s worried eyes. “Is everything okay?” Nurse Eun Ae asked and Minseok took a deep breath and forced a smile.

“Honestly, I don’t know anymore.” He replied and the nurse gave him a sympathetic smile. She gave Minseok’s arm a gentle squeeze and smiled at him. “I’m sure Jongdae will wake up soon, Minseok-ssi. Please, be strong.” She said and was about to go in to change her patient’s serum when Minseok stopped her. “Sorry, but can you give them 10 minutes? Drama just finished and my mom needs to calm down.” He said and the nurse smiled at him. “Okay.”

And with that, the two stood in the hallways in silently waiting for time to pass.

 

“Can you keep it a secret?” Minseok’s timid voice broke the silence. “Keep what a secret?” the nurse looked at him and when she saw the man’s swollen eyes, she could only chuckle making Minseok look at her. “I haven’t seen anything, Minseok-sii. Don’t worry about it.” she said and Minseok felt his heart skip a beat with the sound of the nurse’s chuckles.

 

After ten minutes, Nurse Eun Ae went in to the room with Minseok and found the three asleep on the sofa bed; Mrs. Kim sleeping between her maknaes while the two had their arms wrapped around their mother.

“They’re so cute!” Nurse Eun giggled and Minseok smiled at the sight. “It’s been a while since mom and the maknaes sleep this peacefully.” He said and took the blanket to cover the three. “Should I help you with the serum?” he asked and the nurse shook her head. “It’s okay, Minseok-ssi. I can do it.” She told and went towards the sleeping Jongdae and changed the serum while Minseok watched her.

“Thanks for taking care of my family.” The first born said and the nurse just smiled at him. “It’s my job, Minseok-ssi. No need to thank me.” She said and was about to go out of the room when she turned to Minseok. “If you need someone to talk to or anything at all, I’ll be at the reception.” She said and went out of the room.

Minseok blinked at the closed door while Nurse Eun held her chest, trying to calm her pounding heart. Why did I say that? She asked herself as she went to another patient’s room.

 

OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~ OUR BIG MAMA ~

 

I updated coz I <3 you guys so much

and BaekYeol feels just need to be satisfied

Love me well <3 ~