A part of growing up

The Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

Yoon Shiyoon got his two-week vacation for summer. He is super excited to visit his family and Shinhye. Doctor Kang messaged him thru e-mail that Shinhye has already started her examinations. Her doctor wants Shiyoon to know what is happening so he can apply his growing knowledge on the field he just started to cross.

 

 

 

When Shinhye has spare time on afternoon til night, she doesn’t forget to do what she did last summer; serenading the kids on the pedia ward. It became a habit of hers since she was loved by everybody. All the memories she had same time last year, the memory that a little boy named Junho gave her. A realization that she must do the things she wants to for those people she can help with her music. And after making others’ happy, the summer skynights full of stars gave her inspiration to be a better person and to forget what pain she had been through each day.

 

 

 

“Doctor Kang..” Shiyoon directly went to Shinhye’s doctor office instead on her room.

 

 

“Oh, Shiyoon you’re here.. Have a sit.”

 

 

“My seniors on KNU gave me a lot of knowledge on Shinhye’s disease.” He sighed.

 

 

“Who? Dr Bae or Dr Kim?” He asked.

 

 

“Did you know them?”

 

 

“Shiyoon ah, I graduated on KNU. Those are my friends, they’ve been residents there since we finished our studies. I must’ve been a resident there also, but I decided to be a doctor here in Gangwon-do.”

 

 

“They said that Hodgkin’s is very dangerous. It betrays like heart attack or something. They said we will never know when or where….”

 

 

“Shiyoon, do you even know how many times I’ve heard that line? Everytime doctors tell me that my heart is breaking. And I wish they stop saying that because I know that very well in myself.”

 

 

“Our Shinnie…..what will happen to her?” His tears are falling like crystal clear water from a delicate falls.

 

 

“Shiyoon, I’m doing my best to prevent the cancerous cells on her body. I’ve been doing that since she was young. All we can do for now is to prevent. We don’t have a certain medicine or practice to cure her. Her case is really rare. Let’s say she just got Hodgkin’s Lymphoma, but don’t forget that his father died from leukemia. All that mixed up, hereditary is a real .”

 

 

“Doctor Kang, I just want time to fly real fast so I can help you, I can accompany you for helping our Shinnie.”

 

 

“You will Shiyoon. Shinhye is strong, she can wait for you.”

 

 

“Are you sure about that? Can you promise me that there’s gonna be nothing wrong will happen to Shinhye when I’m still studying? If you say you are sure, I will strive very hard, I will give my whole life on this field.”

 

 

“I’m very sure about that Shiyoon. And I’m sure you will be a good doctor.” He smiled with assureness.

 

 

“Thank you Doctor Kang for always being there for Shinhye.”

 

 

 

After having serious conversation with Doctor Kang, Shiyoon rushed to Shinhye’s room.

 

 

“Shin ah!” He shouted.

 

 

Shinhye was surprised and happy seeing Shiyoon. “Oppa!!! You’re back.”

 

 

“How are you? How’s your body? Feeling any better?”

 

 

“First, I’m fine. Second, my body is just the same. And last, I feel better because you are here now.” She smiled.

 

 

“I’m so sorry I haven’t got out my vacation earlier.”

 

 

“It’s okay. If you got it earlier you wouldn’t probably seeing me like this. Last two weeks were really hard. My body was like a crushed vegetable, the nurses always inject medicines.” Shinhye delivered it very lightly and happily that even the words were hurtful she can smile back at you. Like nothing is wrong. Like nothing happened wrong.

 

 

“Your summer breaks are the worst.”

 

 

“Nope, I was just sacrifing these summers for a wonderful life ahead. I can rest forever once I’m cured, right?”

 

 

“You’re right.” A simple response from Shiyoon.

 

 

“How many weeks you got in vacation, Oppa?”

<
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter