Chapter 75- Plans & The Stand

Letters to U-kiss

Hana's POV

The next few weeks were really all a huge blur. 

The best news of all in those weeks were Jae & Rob being willing to adopt the baby, and we found an agency that would arrange that for us. That was a big relief to me, but we still had to have Matt relinquish his rights for the baby. 

Kevin was calling and emailing almost every day to check up on me & the baby. Him, Mary, Kris, Ellie, and Carl were all keeping me sane despite how emotional, overwhelmed, and sick I had been feeling. Morning sickness had started to take effect and I felt really nauseous most of the time. 

Mary & I had started doing a bible study together as much as we could. It was great being able to discuss and explain about the bible with my best friend. 

The court case was starting today.

"Are you feeling nervous?" asked Mary. 

"Yeah, a little." I said with a sigh as I straightened out my skirt. 

"God will work things out the way they're supposed to." she squeezed my shoulder.

"I know." I said with a weak smile. 

"Good! Kris and I are ready to testify as needed."

"Thank you." I said hugging her with tears in my eyes. 

"I hope some of the people from school show up." -I had asked a couple people who were there to testify for me, that had apologized to me after the incident for not stepping in and doing something. 

"I've been praying that they will, and if they don't I'll have some words with them." said Mary.

"Thanks."

"Ready to go?" She asked.

"I think so."

"Then let's go."

Mid November 2010 At the courthouse:

"Order in the court. The case of Granger vs. Lee will now come into session."

"Would the victim state their case first."

"Yes, your honor stated my lawyer."

"I swear to tell the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Before I describe the incident I would like to make it known that Matthew Granger and I had dated for almost 6 months when he started to have abusive tendencies both verbal, mental, and physical. I had broken up with him prior to the start of this semester at school because of these things. The day I broke up with him, I went to stay with family friends in California for a couple weeks after this until school because I felt unsafe living in the same area as him. 

On September 25th of 2010 I was invited by a friend to her birthday celebration for dinner and then a bowling party after that. I was not informed that Matthew Granger was going to be at this party or I would have declined the invitation. They seated me directly across from Matthew at this celebration. 

I stated at that point I wanted to leave, but I felt pressured to stay by my peers so I did. Matt offered to get me something to drink and I had agreed. I had asked for plain soda, but he had given me something called a Shirley Temple instead and my peers informed me that it was just a kiddie cocktail.

I thought it tasted funny after a couple sips, so I stopped drinking it and decided to look at the menu to order something to eat. I started feeling really weak and dizzy, and I remember saying I needed to leave. My legs buckled on me when I tried to get up and the last thing I remember is lying my head down on the table to rest for just a few minutes.

When I woke up I was lying on a bed in a hotel room stripped of my clothes and sore down below like I've never been before. I called for my two close friends to come and get me to take me to the hospital immediately after that."

"How was Matthew abusive in your past relationship?" asked the judge.

"He got physically rough with me, like kissing and pinning me against a tree, after seeing me hug my friend's boyfriend in a benign way. He would have probably me at that point too if Kris hadn't been there. He beat up Kris pretty badly that time, but we didn't call the cops that time since he was intoxicated with alcohol and probably didn't realize what he was doing. 

He started to be very controlling by asking about my whereabouts and who I was with or talking to all the time after that incident though.

One time I was talking on the phone to my best guy friend that lives and works in Korea, and he flipped out over it because I said I loved him hanging up. Who doesn't tell their close friends or family I love you on the phone when hanging up? That time Matt asked me not to talk to him anymore because of it and then he pushed me over hard when I said no and asked him to leave because I felt threatened by him. My mom asked from downstairs if I was okay, but I said I was fine because I didn't want him to hurt me more. 

I decided to break up with him after that and I told my family & friends what had happened."

"I see. That is all for now. May we have Matthew Granger take the stand now."

"I swear to tell the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." he swore. 

"So Matthew, tell us in your own words about the incident on September 25th of this year."

"Yes your honor, I was upset by her breaking up with me like any guy would be if their girl suddenly dumped him. So I asked a couple of her friends to make sure she came to her friends' birthday party. I just wanted to hang out with her for a while. 

I got her a fancy drink without alcohol in it because I knew she wouldn't like it if it did. She looked like she wasn't feeling very well, so I thought I'd take her to a hotel to rest up, since we were fairly far from the dorms at school. I don't know how she ended up or feeling like she did."

"How do you respond to her claims of abuse in the past?" asked the judge.

"She was a very independant girl, and what guy wouldn't be jealous about her hugging another guy even benignly or talking to a guy friend that's miles away? I wasn't that rough with her like she said the first time, I just kissed her thoroughly, and I barely touched the guy that time. I'm just a jealous person and I wanted to keep her attention soley on me. Hana also tends to be a klutz, so when I gave her a playful push that second time she fell right over."

"Objection your honor." stated Hana's attorney. 

"Objection accepted, you may speak." 

"Kris Bratten provided pictoral evidence from him getting beaten up by Matthew Granger after the first abusive incident, which you can see here. Her friend Mary Davis can also attest to the accuracy of the pictures after this incident. Also, here is evidence from the hospital examination that Matthew Granger's DNA was found in Miss Lee's reproductive tract and a date drug was recovered on blood testing immediately following the incident on September 25th."

"May we have Kris Bratten take the stand."

"What happened the night of your assault by Matthew Granger? Well, I had told Hana some good news and she gave me a brief hug to congratulate me. Matthew, you could smell the alcohol on his breath, asked us what I thought I was doing. He pulled me off the bench and started hitting me.

She tried to pull him off of me and yelled for him to stop it or she would call the cops. Then he her, pinned her against a tree forcing her to kiss him and groping her. I told him to stop, but he ignored me. I threatened to call the cops because and I could see the situation was getting out of hand. Matthew, by some miracle agreed and left at that point."

"Were there any other witness' to that incident?"

"None, besides Mary seeing us after the incident when I helped Hana back to her dorm room."

"What about the night of, Hana's recent ual assault?"

"I was with Mary, when she called Mary crying and not making a whole lot of sense. We finally could understand where she was and what might have happened to her. We went to get her and the little we could see of her neck was covered with Hickies. She looked pretty out of it too when we took her to the hospital. There were some pictures that circulated around school of Hana from the incident as well."

"Thank you Mr. Bratten. Can we have Mary Davis come to the stand."

"I swear to tell the whole truth, and nothing but the truth."

"So, tell us first about what you remember of Kris and Hana's assault by Mr. Granger."

"I was in Hana & I's dorm room, and I heard a knock on the door. I see Matt beaten up like the pictures and Hana's lips and eyes were all puffy. They told me what had happened. I asked if they were going to press charges, but they had decided not to at that point."

"Now, about the night of the recent incident Miss Davis."

"Kris and I were together like he had said that night when Hana called us in tears. I usually can understand her even when she's upset, but this time she was extra upset. I got her to calm down enough to tell us where she was and what had happened to her. We went to get her and like Kris said her kneck was all covered in hickies. She looked pretty rough and was pretty woozy from whatever Matthew had given her when we took her to the hospital. She was very uncomfortable in her private area the following days too."

"Are there any other witness' to take the stand?"

"Yes, your honor said Hana's attorney. A couple of the people from the party have agreed to testify."

First one of the girls spoke

"So, we all thought Matt's idea was just a joke to get back on her for breaking up with him. He told us he was just going to take some goofy pictures of her as part of a bet, so we had agreed to help get her to come to the party. We didn't know he was going to drug her and her. She was out cold when Matt left with her, but he said he was going to take her home."

One of the guys spoke next

"The guys on the team made a bet with him that he wouldn't be able to get a y picture with his ex-girlfriend. I was not part of that, but I don't believe any of them knew that he was going to drug her and then sleep with her on top of it to win the bet. When he left with her, she would have been unable to fight back or do anything to stop him."

Another girl spoke

"I had a huge crush on Matt before this, so I agreed to help get Hana to the party to help with the bet he had with his friends. I thought he might like me if I helped him by getting her to the party, but I didn't know exactly what the bet was or what it entailed. I'm sorry Hana, I shouldn't have helped get you to the party. I thought he was going to take you home when you were unconcious on the table. We probably should have called an abulance for you."

"Thank you, does the assailant have any witnesses to call to the stand."

"No further witnesses, but your honor I would like to speak."

"You may speak."

"Isn't it all to convenient that none of the witnesses knew exactly what Matthews plans were for that night? Doesn't it seem a little fishy that Mr. Bratten and Miss Davis were her only witnesses for the other incident? The photos could have easily been photoshopped and the dates manipulated to make them to be from the date of the first incident. Also, why didn't Miss Lee and Mr. Bratten report the assailant after the first incident? How do we know that Miss Lee and Mr. Granger hadn't been sleeping together prior to the incident?"

"Your honor, objection. May I speak." said Hana's Lawyer.

"You may proceed."

"I had technical analysts from a reputable private investigation firm we work with, review the photos taken by Mr. Bratten and they were confirmed to have been taken on that date with no doctoring. Here is their report of it.

Also, in the report from the laboratory, it was determined that Mr. Granger's DNA was less than 12 hours old due to the completeness of the DNA they were able to extract. Also, there was evidence of live in her reproductive tract."

"Thank you, does the assailant have any further statements to make?"

"None at this time, your honor."

"Then, we will take a brief recess before coming to a verdict."

*Hello all! Sorry for the long Hiatus with no update. I've been globetrotting around Asia the past 2.5 weeks and just got back yesterday mid-day, so I'm still pretty jet lagged. :P Hopefully I'll post a new chapter soon, since I made this one have a cliff hanger, but that way you'll have something to look forward too. ~AA