Chapter 42- Serendipity of Secret Thoughts

Letters to U-kiss

Hana's POV- meanwhile in the U.S.

Traveling home from college was pretty uneventful and actually didn't take as long as it had last time. Mary and I had a better packing system down and her dad must have figured out a better route out of the city too. I guess it also helped the Kris offered to help move some of the heavy boxes down to the car and he decided to caravan back with us to ia. 

We didn't get back until pretty late that night, and because we were all tired from packing all our stuff in a frenzy, I slept over at Mary's house. Sleeping in at her house was obviously not really an option though -her younger siblings start to trickle in to wake her or I up around 7:00am. Sadie was such a sweetheart when she came in, and I had her tell me stories, so Mary could sleep a little longer. According to Sadie the Three Little Pigs built houses out of pretzels, marshmallows, and cotton candy and the Wolf was actually a giant gummy bear that had gotten all fully of fuzz from being stuck under a bed.

 After, we were up and ate breakfast -an awesome one of eggs and a breakfast hash with all fresh food unlike some of the mystery dishes that you got served in the cafeteria. Tom and her Dad drove and helped me unload my things at my house. Mary wanted to come along, but I told her I wanted to get unpacked and that we could do something later when she was too. I guess, I really just wanted some alone time with my family after not seeing them for so long either.

I knocked on the door before opening it "I'm home!"

I could hear my mom rummaging around in the kitchen and her footsteps heading toward the door. "Come here sweetie." she said holding her arms open for a hug. "I missed you so much!"

"You said that last semester too." I giggled as I was getting squashed from one of her good squeezy hugs.

"I know, but it's true! It's hard to believe my baby's gone off to college and going to be independent soon enough." she sighed unraveling herself from me.

"You can put my stuff there for now." I told Mr. Davis as he stood holding a couple of boxes in his hands.

"Let me get my shoes and I'll help you unload your things okay sweetie?"

"Sure." I smiled heading out to the car for all my other stuff. Tom and Mr. Davis brought most of my things in, but my mom and I helped get the straggling little things that I would have forgotten otherwise. "Okay! I think that's everything." I said turning to the Davis' "Thank you so much for being my chauefers and moving service again."

"No problem! We'd have to get Mary home one way or another and having you two ride together makes for a better trip for all of us." he winked because Mary didn't really like long car rides and used to plague him with 'Are we there yets' or 'How much longer.' when we were younger.

"Tell Mary I'll call her later."

"Will do Hana! See you 'round!" Mr. Davis said getting into their car.

My mom and I waved goodbye to the Davis' as they drove off to go home. "Well, are you hungry?" she asked.

"Not really at the moment, I just ate breakfast." frowning because I had forgotten she'd probably make me something special for coming home.

"Okay, I'm whipping up some pumpkin squares, but you can eat one later as a snack or dessert." she said smiling.

"Do you want me to help?"

"No, you go unpack your things."

"Okay, I'll see you in a while." I said hugging her and giving her a mock salute as I went to port my things upstairs into my bedroom. I was thankful that we hadn't decided to bring the desks or other big furniture this semester, since they were heavy and we didn't really have much extra room in our dorm too.

I shuffled through box after box placing things in piles of some semblance of order. In the last box I pulled out a book that I had never seen before. 'This is weird. Where did I get this? Is this Mary's?'

I started flipping through pages and noted it was all Mary's handwriting. 'This must be her diary. I didn't know she kept one though. I really shouldn't be looking at this though.' I thought as I was about to put it down when an entry caught my eye.

April 25, 2010

Dear Diary,

All my final projects are going really well for school and I've survived having Kris around all semester. I've really missed him a lot. He's changed so much, since last year that he doesn't seem like the same person. It almost scares me how much he's changed.

He ran into me on my way to lunch today and we had a good talk. I found out he's really ashamed of how he acted last year and wanted to know if I could forgive him now. He seems so determined too with his new career path too. I always knew he was smart, but I never thought he wanted to become a Physician's Assistant. 

I told him I was still upset with him, and I couldn't forgive him completely yet, but I might be able to with a little more time. My heart was totally telling me to just give in and start dating him again. I love him more than anything. He told me he was willing to wait as long as he had to for me and that just about melted my heart into a puddle right there.

I guess I'll make him wait for now, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to hold out over the whole summer let alone a month or two.

-Mary

I flipped a couple more pages and found an entry dated:

April 29, 2010

Dear Diary,

I found out today that Kris accepted Christ as his savior. I'm not really sure what to think, but it kind of scares me yet draws me at the same time. Yeah, I grew up Catholic, but I didn't really see the point to it on my own. Ever since Hana started me on the prayer thing, I've really felt curious about God and everything. Things have been going pretty well lately and I feel so much less anxious when I pray.

Poor Kris got beaten up pretty badly tonight after a misunderstanding about a hug he gave to Hana with her boyfriend. I just wanted to turn him into a mummy and hug him to say thanks for taking care of my best friend, but I didn't think he'd enjoy the mummy part so I didn't do that. He's really surpising me more and more every day -I didn't know he could be that protective.

I hope Hana decides to break things off with Matt. He seemed like a nice guy at first, but he's just seemed off for quite a while and I couldn't really put my finger on it until now. Matt just seems like he's very controlling and now that he almost her, I'm pretty convinced he may become more abusive.

How can I make Hana see that? If she gives him a chance how can I prevent her from getting hurt worse or end up pregnant or something? She's not on BC pills, but maybe I can convince her to do at least as a preventative.

-Mary

 

May 5, 2010

Dear Diary,

Hana's given him another chance. I have a bad feeling about this though and she did give me free reign to interfere if needed. I just hope she doesn't end up hurt emotionally or physically from him. She and Kevin fought over this issue two, and he agrees with me that she shouldn't give Matt another chance. Poor Hana's been moping about all week and I don't think she's getting much studying done feeling so sorry about the whole thing. I think Hana really likes Kevin, but she's just too scared to admit it and doesn't want to ruin their friendship.

What does she have to be afraid of really? If people are good enough friends and one says they like the other, while the other doesn't like them in that way. Good friends can get over that awkwardness with time and if the other doesn't return their feelings they'll eventually find people for themselves or may come to like each other after all. Maybe I'm just a bit of a dreamer, but Kris and I were like that at first. He liked me and I rejected him, but then I fell for him and when he asked me out I said yes. Those were sure good and sweet days that I really miss.

-Mary

I was kind of blown away with what I read and I felt super guilty for reading her thoughts. I'll have to apologize somehow and hopefully she won't get too mad. Good friends will forgive and forget eventually right? I'll call her now and get this smoothed over ASAP.

"Hey Mary! How's your unpacking going?"

"Fine....I just can't believe how much stuff we end up with by the end of each semester."

"I know! Tell me about it -I've got about a bazillion piles of things all over the place."

"Did you want to take a break?"

"Sure. Say, Mary I found a book that wasn't mine in my box, which turned out to be your diary, and I accidentally read a couple pages."

"What. Did. You. Read?"

"Not much other than about you still liking Kris and then about me dating Matt even though you don't think it's a good idea. I stopped after that. I'm really sorry."

"Oh....are you mad about what you read?"

"Not really, but it was nice to have hear your thoughts on Matt. I feel awful for reading your diary and I'll give it back to you ASAP."

"Okay."

"Do you forgive me?"

"Yeah, I know how that goes and besides you don't get a lot of privacy when you live in a family as large as mine."

"Thanks Mary! Next time I see your diary, I promise I'll steer clear of it!"

"I appreciate it! Who's house or where do you want to hang out?"

"Ummm, doesn't really matter? We could do mine and you could stay for supper if you wanted -My mom made pumpkin squares for a snack!"

"Ooooh yum! That sounds good. I'll be over in probably a half an hour, once I get the piles on my bed cleared off of it for sleeping tonight."

"Okey dokey! See you in a few."

"Okay bye."

'Whew, that went better than I thought, but I still feel awful for intruding on Mary's privacy like that. At least she forgave me and is coming over for a snack and supper later. Maybe we can do a chick flick marathon too? I guess it doesn't really matter what we do because we always have fun. I love my friends.'