Chapter 26- Dates and Dreams

Letters to U-kiss

Hana's POV

I was so excited to be going on a date with Matt even though I was still a little mad at him. I practically skipped back to my dorm room after classes to figure out what I was going to wear. Mary wasn't back yet to help me figure out something nor to borrow something from, so I started digging through my drawers babbling to myself:

"Dress? No, too cold.

Jeans? Nah, too casual.

But then again maybe a dress would be good idea, since it's our first date in a while. 

Or maybe a skirt? But what would I wear with a skirt? I guess this red and tan pasily circle skirt would be okay.

T-Shirt? No, too casual

Blouse? Mmm not my style

Sweater? Not quite right. Besides none of my skirts really go with any of my sweaters.

A top? Which one though? Short sleeves are too cold, but I really like this one. Maybe I could wear a long sleeved shirt underneath? Wait no, that didn't work last time." I pouted

"Having problems?" a familiar voice broke into my ramblings.

"Yes!" I said pouting giving her my puppy eyes look. 

"What's the occasion you're fussing so much over?" she asked. "On second thought I know. Let's see what you have picked out so far?"

"I was thinking this skirt, but I can't seem to figure out a top that will fit with it that isn't too dressy yet not casual."

"Mmm I see." she said kneeling on the floor next to me with her hand on her chin. "Let me assess your options." she said scanning my ransacked drawers. "What about this top?" She asked holding up a wine colored shirt with a double ruffled collar along a scoop neck that ended elegantly at the buttons clustered to the side. 

"Why didn't I think of that?! You're the best Mary!" I hugged her.

"When's the date?" she asked.

"He's meeting me at 7 at that new italian place over a few blocks."

"Fun! Let me know how you like it. I'm always up for some good italian food." She said smiling.

"Did you see Kris today?" I asked

"Yeah...." 

"Are you okay? Did anything happen?"

"I'm fine. He wants me back Hana -I'm scared." she said tearing up and I pulled her into a hug with her head on my shoulder. I felt it getting wet as she silently sobbed on it.

"I don't want......to get hurt again, so I....I told him to leave me alone......that he didn't deserve a second chance after what he did.....and that nothing he did would change my heart."

I rubbed her back as she continued to tell me the rest between sobs.

"He said he'd leave me be and that he was stupid......blind......an idiot for letting me go in the first place. He looked like he was going to cry when I told him to leave me alone. It just about broke my heart and made me want to say 'I'll come back to you as long as we don't make each other cry.' I'm so weak Hana, I'm so weak hearted."

"Shhhhh....you're not weak Mary. I know you better than anyone and you're one of the strongest people I know. I know it's going to be hard, but concentrate on school the best you can for now and spend time with other friends."

She sat up and wiped her face with her hands "You're right Hana. I bet I look pretty rediculous." she giggled.

"Just a bit." I smiled back.

"Now, let's get you ready for your date!" she said with enthusiasm -one thing Mary enjoyed was dressing up other people and doing makeovers. She could get a job as a fashion designer or a stylist easily. 

After changing I sat as she parted my hair deeply to the side and braided it into a lace braid that framed my face. "Hey Mary..." i started not sure how to ask it in such a blunt way. "Yeah?" she replied as she curled my loose hair into delicate waves with her flat iron. "Have you ever really thought about doing this for a living?" I asked. "Not really why?" she queried.

"Well, I know you were still a little undecided about if art was right for you, and you're really good at all this gussying up stuff. You could design clothes, do hair, and fix peoples' makeup for a living easy." I excitedly told her my idea. "Hmm I guess I never really though about that before. I'll look into it, but I've kind of comitted myself to another semester of general education towards artwork courses anyways." she mused.

"Now stop talking so I can do your makeup, or you'll never make it on time for your date." she scolded. I made the motion of zipping my lips and throwing away the key which sent us both into a fit of giggles.

Meanwhile in Seoul -Norae's POV:

I kept smiling like an idiot at school knowing I was going to "hang out" with Kevin and the rest of the boys tonight. First, I had to concentrate on getting through my classes though. I was daydreaming when I heard someone calling my name and several students snickering.

"Miss Song!"

"Ne?" I called back with my cheeks burning bright red I was sure.

"Can you enlighten us as to wae the doengsang freed the bird from its' cage?"

"Ummm...because it was the right thing to do?" I squeaked out. I hated talking in front of people, and especially so in front of school.

"Well ne....but wae didn't he keep the bird after it's wing healed?"

"Ummm He realized that...uh....he was being selfish by denying the bird of its' freedom...so uh....he was showing compassion and.....consideration by releasing it in the end."

"Very good! Miss Song, so as you can see......" I breathed a huge sigh of relief as he rambled on into the lessons we can conclude from the story, and how it applied to our classwork.

I walked to a quiet stairway to eat my lunch. I opened the box and admired my handiwork -little carrot flowers, leftover chicken curry, rice, and some kimchi I had packed creating a little garden scene and then some berries for desert. I checked my phone and Kevin had texted:

"Could you bring a cake tonight?"

"Sure -any specific kind?"

"I'm not sure, but chocolate is usually a safe bet."

"Okay! See you guys tonight ^_^"

It felt nice to have people that actually wanted to spend time with me. 'Why did everyone else have to be so mean? But were they being genuine? Could I really trust them? Did they just want "one thing"? How could I be sure? I mean Kevin seems like a nice guy, but even nice guys can be not so nice after they get close to you -what other guy hasn't tried it?'  

"What's the Sing Song smiling at?" I heard an all too familiar voice say.

My eyes widened "Sun-Young what are you doing here?" We used to be friends, well more like rivals, in the childrens choir for the solo spots back when I still sang. I quit choir when my dad got sick and then we hadn't seen each other since.

"My name's not Sun-Young anymore you pabo! I go by Hyomin now -it's the stage name my company gave me and they're sending me to school here." she said haughtily flipping her hair.

"You're signed by a company?" I asked with my mouth hanging open.

"Yeah, and it wasn't all because of my singing ability either." she said snarkily 

"Well good for you!" I said a little crossly.

"Jealous?"

"No!" -of course I was jealous! That had been my dream for almost my whole life, and I gave up singing to spend time with my dad.

"Sure sounds like it! Well I need to go in order to make practice now. Toodles!" she said with mock friendliness

Finding out your former rival had fulfilled your dreams -what a way to ruin a day!