Chapter 19- Dinner Drama

Letters to U-kiss

The apartment building Kevin's POV

I walked down the hall and knocked on the door of my Mom's apartment. I heard someone get up and run to the door before it flew open. Immediately I was hug attacked by Dea "Kevin! I missed you -you big little goofball." she said as she ruffled my hair. "Yah! Stop it you're messing up my hair." I pouted to which she laughed at me. "You're such a diva Kevin!"

Omma was right behind her and as soon as Dea stepped away she swooped in for a hug too. "I missed you all a ton! Christmas definitely wasn't the same without you." I told my mom. "We missed you too,but if you had to work, you had to work." she said smiling. The I saw my dad and cried "Appa!" excitedly as I pulled out of my mom's hug and gave him a hug of his own. 

"Hey Kevin. So how's the music business been?" he asked. "Great! We just got news that we're putting out a full album in february." I told him excitedly. "That's wonderful. I'm sure your fans will enjoy it." he replied. "How's your work Appa?" I asked. "It's going pretty well too -numbers were a little down last quarter, but hopefully it will pick up with the start of the new year." he told me.

"So are we having the usual fare?" I asked sniffing the air hungrily as we moved into Omma's living room. "Pretty much, a neighbor is bringing over a cake too so we have to wait for them." She answered. "Ah, so there's going to be guests too?" I asked. "Yep, my friend and her daughter are coming over to celebrate with us." she replied. "I need to get the last of the food on the table. Dea, could you help me out?" 

Eomma and Dea set the table and I wanted to help, but my mother shooed my away "You can answer the door when they get here. Now go wait with your father in the living room." Pouting I went and sat on the couch next to my father's chair. He was reading the newspaper, so I sat studying the little Christmas tree Omma had set up in the corner. As I started at it I suddenly remembered the gifts I had brought along for my family in my bag.

Rummaging around I pulled out the packages and placed them under the little tree. I smiled, admiring my handiwork, when there was a knock on the door. I got up and went to answer it.

Meanwhile a short time before

"Norae! Eo-di ga-sseo?!" (Norae, where are you?!) shouted mother from in the front hall.

"Jamkkanman eomma!"  (Just a second Mother!) I shouted back from my room as I changed out of my work clothes. 'Thankfully that guy had held the elevator for me or I'd have really been late!'

"Ppalli! Ulineun neuj-eul geoya." (Hurry! We're going to be late.) she yelled back 

"Ne,  Neaga Ganda" (Yes, I'm Coming) I said opening my door and skipping over the front door where Eomma was waiting impatiently. Taking the cake from her we walked down the hall to Mrs. Woo's.

"Eomma. Is is just us coming to Mrs. Woo's?" I asked curiously since I knew she had a couple of older kids.

"Ne, but the rest of her family's going to be there." she said as we stopped in front of the door and Knocked.

The door opened and a tall guy stood in the doorway 'the elevator guy!' I stood in the doorway gaping as he invited us in  "Anneyonghasaeyo wasseo." (Hello, and come in.)

He grinned taking the cake as I stumbled through the door behind my eomma. 

Kevin's POV

I opened the door and found the girl from the elevator standing there with her mother. 'So she's my mother's friends' daughter.' When she realized it was me a shocked expression spread across her face as I invited them in. I took the cake from her as she walked in after her mother. 

They introduced themselves her mother started "Nae ileum-eun bu-in Song Jin Hye ibnida" (My name is Mrs. Jin Hye Song.) and then nudged her daughter next to her "Ileum-eun Song Norae ibmnida" (My name is Norae song.) she stuttered out. 'So her name is Song Song' I giggled to myself silently and only giving it away with the big grin on my face.

"Neaga ileum-eun Woo Kevin ibmnida" (My name is Kevin.) I introduced myself. By that point the rest of the family was in the entryway greeting and introducing themselves to each other. Song Norae kept staring at me and was starting to make me feel awkward, since I was staring at her too. Her hair was dyed with streaks of blue and purple, which was cropped to a little above shoulder length. For how unusual her hair was she was dressed in pretty normal looking clothes -the grey dress coat, black tights of some kind, a simple grey and black dress, and some black ankle boots. 

I took Norae's mother's jacket and hung it on our coat rack first. Then I took Norae's -her hand accidentally brushed mine and I felt goose bumps race up my spine. I blushed a little bit, so I quickly turned away and hung her coat on the rack. Hopefully before what

Norae's POV

'I can't, I shouldn't keep staring at him, but he's just so adorable.' I thought to myself as I blushed when Kevin caught me staring at him. Kevin from U-Kiss was my biggest crush in the k-pop world, but I couldn't let him know that. In fact I had recognized him in the elevator, but I decided to keep my cool and not be one of those annoying fan girls. 'This is almost like torture being in the same room as your crush, and with his family none the less. All I can hope is that mom keeps shut and that we get out of here as fast as possible.'  

Deanna's POV

Watching Kevin and Norae secretly staring at each other was definitely entertaining -I had never seen Kevin so shaken up by a girl before when he accidentally brushed hands with her. He normally is pretty steady when dealing with all his female or male fans, but today he definitely different. 'Looks like Kevin's got himself a little crush on Norae and shes in the same boat' I smirked.

After all the jackets were hung on the coat racks Omma shooed everyone into the dining room. She directed everyone to their places "Jin Hye you sit on the end there. Mr. woo sit on the other end. I'll sit to the right of Jin Hye, Dea can sit next to her. Norae can sit to the left of me and Kevin can sit next to her. 'Looks like omma and bu-in Song are trying to set the two of them up.' I stiffed a giggle as Kevin awkwardly pulled out Norae's chair for her.

When everyone was seated Appa said grace "Our father in heaven, bless this food and the fellowship we have with the wonderful friends you have blessed my wife with here. Amen." Omma took everyone's plates and filled them with food. Norae kept stealing little glances at Kevin all through-out the meal and he was doing the same.  When they'd catch each other they would turn bright pink and I had to stifle my giggles watching them.

Everyone was silently eating when Bu-in Song piped up "So Keving you're a singer?" "Ne, Bu-in (Mrs.) Song-ssi" He replied. "Are you a soloist or are you in a group?" she asked him. "Naneun U-Kissue eiss-eo" (I'm In U-Kiss) he replied. "Chincha?! Omo chinguga wae naege malhaji anh--eo." (Really?! Oh my, why didn't you tell me this my friend). she asked turning to Omma.

"I didn't think it was important, so I didn't tell you. " Omma replied. "Wae, I thought we told each other everything." Mrs. song replied pouting "Norae's favorite group is U-Kiss." "Omma! Hajima!" (Mother! Don't!) blurted out Norae crossly with an embarrassed scowl on her face. "In fact her favorite member...." started Mrs. song when Norae Inturruped "OMMA! HAJIMA!" (Mother! Don't!) Kevin looked at Norae with a shocked expression on his face, and then started picking at his food.

Norae was clearly embarassed as she stood up and said "jal meo-geo-ssuem-ni-da. an-nyeong-hi gye-se-yo." (Thank you for the food. Goodbye.) "Norae, Norae eodigasseo?" (Norae, Norae where are you going?) called Mrs. song. "Oechul Haeyo!" (I'm going out) She said crossly as we heard the door slam. "Mianhae, Norae's been a bit testy since....." said Mrs. Song trailing off and looking like she was going to cry. 

"It's okay Jin Hye, I understand." said Omma gently. "Kevin, why don't you go see if you can find Norae?" she ordered Kevin. "Ne, Omma." He said getting up with a sigh, and headed to the living room to grab his coat. 

Kevin's POV

When Norae started shouting at her Omma it made dinner really awkward, so I started playing with what little food was left on my plate. 'I'd never yell at my Omma that way even if she embarrassed me. Why did she act so severely?' I pondered as I headed out the door to look for her. 'If I were Norae, where would I go? How would I know? I just met her for Pete's sake!' Then I remembered she was wearing a necklace with a bird on it. 'Maybe she likes high places? I'll check the rooftop first.'

I took the elevator to the top floor and went to the staircase that led to the rooftop. Once out there I looked around 'Great! Look at all the plants and things up here. How will I find her if she's up here? Wait! What's that?' I thought as I heard some sniffling coming from the far corner. "Norae-ssi Eodigasseo?" (Norae, Where are you?) I called as I edged closer.

"Mwo?! (What?!) Go away!" she barked as she sniffled hidden behind a large potted fern in a corner. I knelt down and held out a tissue "Parents can be annoying sometimes huh?! I mean could my mom be any more obvious about trying to set us up with her seating arrangements? Not that I minded sitting by you of course, but still it makes you want to tell them to back off at times." 

Her sniffling had subsided a little bit and snuffled out "I'm sorry I acted like that. I just can't help, but be angry and upset at God, the world, and everything since Appa died." "You don't need apologize to me, but do apologize to your mom. She's hurting just as much or more than you." I gently reproached her.

We sat in silence for a short time and I kept passing her Kleenexes until her falling tears ceased. When she was composed I decided to ask her a question "So you like U-KISS?" She nodded in response, so I continued "I'll let you know if the guys come over to my mom's for dinner sometime, or if you'd be able to hang out with us. Do you have a cell phone?" 

"Ne, here's my number." she said handing me a business card. "Great, here's mine and if you ever just want to talk you can call, text, or whatever." I said handing me a scrap of paper where I quickly scribbled out my number onto. After that we headed back inside, since she was getting cold and I dropper her off at her apartment before going back to my Omma's. 

When I returned to Omma's we opened our presents, since Mrs. Song had decided to go home too. Dea loved the flower clips I gave her just like Hana had. Omma gave me a hug when she opened the sweetly scented hand cream and beauty products I gave her. Appa admired the briefcase that I gave him happily. Together we read the Nativity Story and sang Christmas carols late into the evening, so I slept over at Omma's Apartment.

Norae's POV

Back in my apatment I happily pressed my back against the door until I was sure he was away. Then I had a miniature squealing and jumping around party. I couldn't believe I had met him, talked to him, gotten his phone number, and said he'd call me sometime and introduce me to the other members! I heard Omma giggling standing by our couch in the living room, so I quickly composed myself.

"I take it hanging out with Kevin went well?!" she asked with cocked eyebrows and a smirk on her face.

Brushing off her question I swallowed my pride and sheepishly apologized like Kevin said I should "Mianhae Omma for getting mad, but you were embarrassing me."

"It's okay Norae -I know you've had a hard time between Appa's death and moving away from everything you've ever known." she said pulling me into a hug. "I love you, and will always love you Norae. Never forget that!" 

She asked me about me and Kevin's talk, but I didn't tell her everything and especially that it was his idea to apologize to her. I did tell her he gave me his number and was going to call me sometime to hang out with the guys. At that news she was smiling like the cheshire cat. 'Great' I thought sarcastically 'she's trying to set me up with Kevin too and to make it worse she already knows I like him.'

Before I went to bed I texted Kevin 'Gamsamnida for talking to me and giving me great advice. -Norae'

My phone buzzed back 'You're welcome! What are Chingus for? I'll text you later this week if I or the guys have any free time -Kevin'

"Chingus? Sounds good!' I texted back puzzled at how he could say someone he just me was his friend.

'Ne chingus, our omma's are and I think we should be too. It will be fun hanging out sometime.'  reading his text broke into a smile and inwardly squealed. 'He thought it was going to be fun hanging out with me. With ME!"

'Good night & Pleasant dreams Chingu!' I texted back with a yawn.

Kevin's POV

I was texted Norae 'You too Chingu! Sleep well.' as I heard a knock on the door frame, since I was sleeping in the living room. I looked up to find Dea standing in the doorway. "Come in sis." I said motioning to the chair as I propped myself up on the couch I had been sprawled on. 

"So who were you texting?" she prodded. 

"Norae."

"Really? You like her?" she asked smugly to which I shrugged in response. "Come on Kev I know you like her! You kept stealing glances at her during dinner." "Sure, why not?! She's cute and seems like she'd be fun to hang out with." I defended 'Darn Dea for being so observant about everything.It's really hard to hide anything when she's around.

"Good, I was worried you'd never find a girl you'd like." said Dea. In response I threw one of the pillows at her and we had a crazy pillow fight just like old times with Hana and Jae.'I wonder what she's doing now?' I thought to myself.

 

Chapter glossary

어디 갔어? -eo-di ga-sseo? -Where are you? (familiar and less formal)

잠깐만- Jamkkanman- Just a second

빨리- Ppalli- Hurry

우리는 늦을거야 -Ulineun neuj-eul geoya- We're going to be late (literally: We {the eun marking that it is we ouselves} late are going to be)

내가 간다 -Neaga Ganda - I'm coming or literally I go

와서- wasseo -come in or literally come 

내 이름은 부인 *insert name* 이다 -Nae ileum-eun bu-in ibnida -My name is Mrs. * or literally My name Mrs. * is (Take out bu-in for a non Mrs.)

나는 U-키스에있어 -Naneun U-Kissue eiss-eo

친구가 왜 내게 말하지 않았어- chinguga wae naege malhaji anh--eo- Friend Why have you told me never (literally translated)

hajima (하지마 ) literally means don't do it.
hada ( 하 다 ) : to do

When you plus -jima ( -지마 )it gives you negative statement.

잘 먹었습니다 -Jal Meo-geo-sseum-ni-da- I have eaten well 
외출 해요- Oechul haeyo- I'm going out.
 
***ETA 8/6 -I put english in the parenthesis to make this more readable for those that don't know much Korean or were having trouble reading the chapter. Sorry about that! I got a little over excited putting my korean to use, so I'll try to be less exuberant in the future. :P ***