Chapter 1- Getting Ready

Letters to U-kiss

August 2009

“Earth to Hana…..do you read me?” said Mary waving her hand in front of my face.

“Uh…What did you say?” I said as I snapped out of it and noticed her looking at me with her head cocked and a big smirk on her face.

“You were daydreaming again weren’t you?” She said as she shook her head and rolled her eyes. Yes, I admit I do daydream…once in a while and it has gotten me in trouble.

“I was not!”

“Were too!”

“WAS NOT!”  I said as I threw one of my pillows at her.

She ducked and laughed as the pillow flew over her head. “Okay, okay you weren’t daydream! Then tell me what were you contemplating so intently?”

“Nothing important…..Really.” I insisted “I’m sorry Mary, what did you ask me?”

“No! You tell me.  It has to be something pretty good if it took me over a minute to get your attention. Normally you snap right out of your daydreams.”

“Just forget it. I’ll tell you later. What did you ask me?”

“Fine,” she said as she sighed dropping the subject “Are you getting a mini fridge for our dorm or should I?” That’s one thing I liked about my Mary –she knew when she could make me spill the beans and when she shouldn’t. Today was one of the shouldn’t days/

“Um…I think my parents were going to get one let me check.” I said as I got up from my bed and scampered down my stairs to ask my mom.

Now one thing’s for sure whenever you ask my mom something when she’s baking, you’ll be bringing up something scrumptious. I emerged through my door carrying a plate piled with slices of warm chocolate chip banana bread fresh from the oven.

“Ooh Yummy!” exclaimed Mary as she grabbed a slice from the plate “Your mom makes the best Banana Bread! So what did she say about the fridge?”

“They’re buying us one, so we’re all set there.” I said as I Grabbed a slice of my own.

She gave me the thumbs up sign as she munched away on the goods.

“What else do we need?” I asked in between mouthfuls of banana-y chocolate-y yumminess.

“Hmmm…..I think we have everything pretty much covered. Let’s see: Desks Check! Lamps Check! Cookware Check! Bedding Check! Fridge Check!  Chairs…?”

“I have my beanbag chair for lounging, but I’ll go hit up the thrift store for a chair tomorrow. Do you want me to get you one too?”

“Sure! That would be great. Where were we on the list…Cleaning supplies check! Extra Blankets Check! Curtains Check!......... ”

As Mary listed off everything I zoned out again to the thought on the back of my mind. Should I write to Kevin? I’m curious to know how he’s doing and what he’s up to, but I’m afraid that he’d think it was strange after so many years have gone by.

After she finished going over our list she looked at my furrowed brow. “Hana, what’s eating you today? You’re more spacey today than normal…well what’s normal for you anyways.”

I hesitated ‘should I tell her? I guess so. Well here goes nothing.’ “Mary do you remember me telling you about my friend Kevin?”

“Your best friend from grade school in California?” I nodded. “Did he call you or ask you out?” she asked getting all excited, since although I’ve dated I never really found anyone to go steady with.

“No? I was thinking of writing him a letter to see what he was up to these days.” I paused, “I’m really curious, but it’s been so long. Do you think I should?”

“A letter? Using pens and note paper?” I nodded. “Isn’t that kind of old fashioned?”

“Yes, but I don’t have his phone number or email address, so I don’t really have a choice. My mom has his family’s new address –my mom said they moved back to Korea a couple of years ago.”

“Well I’d do it then. You don’t have anything to lose, and if he doesn’t have a girlfriend you might have found your special someone.” She said teasing me.

“Hey!” I yelled as giving her a dirty look as I threw my other pillow at her. I got her right in the head this time because I knew she’d try to duck like last time. This started and all out pillow fight and giggle feast that we hadn’t really done since our middle school sleepovers.

Meanwhile in South Korea……………….

*“Daseot, yeoseot, ilgop, yeodeol….okay that’s a wrap for today guys. Gam-sa for your hard work!” said our choreographer.

*“Gamsahamnida” we replied as we headed back to the locker rooms.  

I sighed as I changed out of my sweaty shirt and pants, and tossed on a clean T-shirt and jeans.

“What’s eating you today Kev?” asked Eli looking at me quizzically.

“Don’t you get tired of all this hustle and bustle? Sometimes I wish I was just a normal guy and could go where I wanted and date whoever I wanted without any worries. I wonder if I’ll ever meet the perfect girl.”

“Yeah, Kev I hear you, but this life was our choice and unfortunately we don’t really have a choice now that we’re in it. Cheer up bro! At least we’re all in this together.” He said as we left to work on recording for our new mini-album.

 

Chapter Glossary:

*Daseot, yeoseot, ilgop, yeodeol = 다섯, 여섯, 일곱, 여덟= 5, 6, 7, 8

*Gam-sa-ham-ni-da =감사합니다 = Thank you

*Gam-sa = 감사 =Thanks