Chapter 61- Of all the places

Letters to U-kiss

Hana's POV- first day back in classes August 2010

I groaned as my alarm clock blared again after hitting the snooze several times. I felt something soft hit my head and Mary's voice in a demanding tone "Hana, get up already! You're going to be late for your first class. I groaned and groggily sat up in my bed yawning. 

"What time is it?" I asked as I yawned again.

"7:45" she said looking at me with stern look on her face.

"What?! It's that late already?!" I exclaimed jumping out of bed and rapidly switching gears to wake up mode. 

"You must have hit the snooze 4 times, while I was showering and beautifying."

"You should have made me get up when you did!" I said pouting.

"I tried, but you threatened me."

"I did?"

"Yeah, you said you'd confiscate all my glitter eye shadow if I didn't let you sleep."

"Oh. You really believed that?"

"You were lying?"

"No, I was half asleep and didn't know what I was saying."

"I should have known when you said 'Let me sleep glitter gone.'"

"That makes no sense."

"Yeah, it really does, but I decided you'd succumb to your alarm clock's charms eventually and I let you sleep more."

"Well, you should have gotten me up glitter on the line or no! Next time you have to."

"Okay," she said with a mischevious smirk "You might regret that order eventually."

"I guess I'll find out." I groaned.

"What should I wear with this shirt?" I said pulling on a blouse with lacy details around the neckline.

"Hmmm jeans should be okay -make it dark colored jeans."

"Good?" I asked holding up a pair of my darkest jeans.

"Yes."

"Great," I said pulling on the jeans "do we have time for breakfast?"

"Negative if we don't want to get locked out of our classes."

"Ugh, I'm not going to be able to concentrate at all."

"Wait, I packed some protein bars for emergency meals or snacks somwhere." she said lurking around under her bed. "Found them!"

"Thanks Mary! You're a lifesaver."

"You're welcome my floundering friend."

"Then I think we're as ready as we'll ever be."

"All right!"

"Let's go." I said munching into the protein bar. 

We walked until we split up to go to our seperate buildings and then I ventured off on my own to class. I had to take a deep breath and tell myself that I was okay, and that I probably wouldn't run into Matt. If I did though, I'd be polite and move along. I breathed a sigh of relief as I headed into my first classroom.

That breath was short lived though because who did I see in the class with me? Him! I inwardly groaned and took a remaining seat as far from him as possible. I saw him get up and talk to the person next to me. That person moved and he sat down. I clenched my teeth feeling both a little anxious and upset that he would have the audacity to sit next to me.

I needed to move, but where? I scoped out my options. The only ones that might switch with me were all too far away and the professor was calling everyone to attention. Now, I'm stuck next to him for the whole class. Then I hear to professor say "Remember your seats everyone because I expect you to sit in the same one each class, that way I get to know you, as well as you know me." My jaw dropped and I almost jumped up and shouted 'What?!', but I think I was too shocked to do anything. 

I had a hard time concentrating in class. Matt was staring at me the whole time and I could just feel him looking at me. 'This is so uncomfortable. Can this class end fast God?'  After an eternity the professor dismissed us, I didn't have a class right afterwards, so I decided to talk to the professor about it. Matt of course was following me like a giant mean puppy dog. 

"Matt, can you please leave me alone. I need to talk to the professor about something alone." I said trying not to sound as icy as I felt about him being there inside.

"Okay, I'll wait for you outside then." He said with a wink. I groaned 'That's not what I meant!' 

"Excuse me Professor G, can I speak to you a moment privately?" I asked him (he has said we could call him that).

"Sure, Hana is it?"

"Yes."

"What seems to be the trouble?"

"The assigned seating."

"I don't make exceptions to that rule."

"Can I explain something to you that might change your mind?"

"I guess you could try, but I probably won't change."

"The guy sitting next to me was my boyfriend, and this isn't just a simple ex or breakup issue. He was physically abusive to me and I ended things right before I came back to school. Having him sit next to me makes me extremely uncomfortable."

"I see. What exactly all happened with him?"

"One night he was drunk and upset over seeing me hug an old guy friend of mine because that guy had really exciting news to tell me. He beat up that guy really badly, me when I tried to stop him, and then he probably would have me if my friend hadn't been there. Another time he threw me down and told me if I told anyone about him he'd......" I chocked up holding back tears.

"That sounds awful, but I really can't take back my policy."

"Can I transfer to another class?"

"I'm sorry, but the other classes are full. If you feel that uncomfortable I suggest you withdraw now before you lose much money."

"I......I guess I need to talk to my parents about this before I do anything." I swallowed the tears welling in my eyes.

"Well, don't take too long to decide -you have until tomorrow if you want to get most of your money back."

"Okay, thank you for your time." I said numbly walking away. 

I didn't see Matt when I came out, so I assumed he had another class and left. I was thankful for that, and I decided to head to my "home away from home" for a good cry and talk with my parents. 

I called my mom first, but then realized she was probably working. I tried dad next and he luckily picked up.

"Hey Nana"

"Hi daddy."

"What's wrong? You don't sound very good."

"I have problems with my first class."

"Oh, how so?"

"It's Matt daddy.....*sniffle*....He knew I was going to take that class this semester and signed up too......*sob* He purposely made someone switch seats so he could sit by me.......and the professor stated that where we sat were our assigned seats for the semester......and......he said he wouldn't make an exception to his rule even though I explained about our past."  I was sobbing when I finished.

"Can you deal with him sitting next to you?"

"I don't know......he just makes me feel so uncomfortable. He was staring at me the whole class.....and I have to decide by tomorrow if I want to drop the class, so I can get most of the money back for the class."

"Can you transfer to another class?"

"No, daddy. The professor said no, all the other classes were full."

"Hmmmmmm well, if he really makes you uncomfortable drop the class."

"Is it really okay with you if Ido that?"

"Yes Nana, I don't want you to be miserable, but remember sometimes in life you will have to deal with miserable situations and have no way to opt out of them."

"Thank you daddy, and I know! I'm going to submit a withdrawal form this afternoon before my next class then."

"You're welcome Nana, call me if you're having trouble though okay?!"

"Yes daddy, I love you."

"I love you too."

"Bye."

"Bye."

I felt much better after talking to my dad about dropping the class, and I still didn't really want to do it academically, but I knew I would be so unhappy with Matt staring at me every other day for a couple hours all semester. That would be a really long 16 weeks.....perhaps the longest 16 weeks of my life. 

'Will this really stop the problem of him following me around or staring at me? Probably not, but I guess I don't know quite what to expect since it's only the first day of the new semester.'