Chapter 16- Hospital & Homeward bound

Letters to U-kiss

Mary's POV The morning of December 21st

I could tell sunlight was coming into wherever I was by the reddish glow that was seeping through the lids of my closed eyes. Laying there for a minute I was thinking about how comfortable and warm I was, and then I sat up panicking. My eyes flew open and I saw a clean tan painted room. 'Where am I? This isn't that place though, and I was in a bed with clean white sheets.' In the corner I saw my mom dozing, and my dad sat beside me gently pushing me to lay back down and put a finger to his lips indicating not to wake mom.

Glancing down I was dressed in blue pajamas and my arm was wrapped with a bandage '-this must be a hospital! What happened to my arm?' "How'd they find me? I was so scared." I wispered to dad. 

"The police had been investigating a human trafficing case, and your kidnapping allowed them to find where they were keeping girls and to rescue 5 other girls and you " he said quietly with sadness lining his face.

"Are the rest of them okay?" I asked.

"I don't know, but a lot of them had been drugged for quite a while and were a lot worse off than you. We heard at least one was pregnant. Did those men do anything to you besides that?" he said nodding towards my arm.

"I don't know daddy. " I said starting to cry "I hope not, but when I tried to get away they broke my arm and forced me take a pill of some kind that knocked me out. I'm sorry.....I'm sorry I made you worry. I'm sorry I made a bad decision. I should have been been.....more careful......or stayed home.....and.....talked to Hana.....I bet....you wish....you had....a daughter.....more.....like Hana...." I managed to choke out between my sobs.

"It's okay, Mary. We're all human and make mistakes. Your mom and I will always love you no matter what." he said giving me a hug and kissing my forehead. Then he handed me a klenex to dry my eyes which had become really red and puffy, and my face was sticky with my tears. Then I heard my mom "Is she awake?"

"Yes, dear." said dad and my mom flew across the room to my bed. "How are you feeling? Are you hungry? Should we call the doctor? We need to call Hana......" she rambled on. I laughed "I'm okay, I think, and yes I'm a little hungry. About the doctor I don't know, but probably and yes you should call Hana. She must be so worried about me." 

The doctors came in and said I could have some bland food, since I hadn't eaten much and my stomach may be a bit upset from the surgery. My mom called Hana to let her know I was awake, and she said she was going to visit later. 

Hana's POV The morning of December 21st 

I woke up long before my alarm made a peep, which was both good and bad. Good in that I was going to have more time to pack and wouldn't miss a phone call from the Davis' or my parents. Bad, in that I didn't get as much sleep as I should have. I sighed and got up from my bed and pulled out a pack of blueberry poptarts for breakfast groggily. Looking in our mini fridge I pulled a little carton of milk that we had swiped from the caffeteria and wash down the sugary, pasty goop stuck to the sides of my teeth from the pop tarts.

As I was finishing swallowing a gulp of milk my phone started ringing. I answered "Her-ro?" due to using my tongue to de-goop my teeth -very unladylike I know, but hey it's better than using your fingers!

"Hi Hana, Mary's awake now, and has been asking for you." said Mrs. Davis

"I'll be over as soon as I finish packing up our stuff and loading up my Parent's car. How's she doing?" I asked happily breathing as sigh of relief.

"She's doing really well. The doctor's checking her over to make sure nothing else is wrong. Pain wise she's doing okay, but they have her on a pretty potent painkiller at the moment." said Mrs. Davis.

"Great! When will she be able to go home?" I asked.

"Later today possibly, but tomorrow for sure. We'll definitely make it home for your family's Christmas party -don't worry!" she said.

"Glad to hear that!" I smiled 'it definitely wouldn't be as exciting without the Davis' at the party -they make any occasion more lively. That reminds me I should invite Matt to the Christmas Party, but he's probably anxious to spend time with his family after being gone all semester.'

"Well I'll let you get back to packing. We'll see you and your parents in a little bit then Hana!" she said.

"Okay, bye Mrs. Davis! Say hi to Mary for me."  I said

"Will do Hana! Bye, bye." she said as she hung up.

Then I called Matt after I finished off my milk.

"Hey Matt!" I said when I heard him answer.

"Hey. What's up?" he asked in a kind of sleepy voice.

"Sorry, did I wake you?" I asked embarassed -he wasn't an early riser unless he had basketball practice.

"No, I was just getting up. How's Mary?" he asked.

"Good, her parents say she's doing fine." I said.

"That's good. Are you packing up?" he asked.

"Yeah, how about you?" I asked.

"Nah, I packed most of my things last night, so I basically just need to pack up my car and head home."

"That's nice. Hey Matt what are you doing Christmas eve?" I asked

"Nothing probably because my mom and her boyfriend are usually working. You?"

"Our family usually has a Christmas party and invites a bunch of people over, and I was wondering if you'd like to come?" I said rambling on a million miles an hour.

"Sure, that would be great! Does your family have a place for me to stay?" he asked.

"We should. My sister has her own apartment, so her room's empty and most of the people live really close by." I answered.

"It's a deal then! I'll follow you guys home if it's okay with your parents that I stay over." he said.

"Awesome! I'll call them right now and make sure, but I'm sure it'll be fine!" I said.

"Hey Hana. Do you need any help packing?" he asked.

"Um...yeah, if you could spare some time that would be great. It's hard packing up both your stuff and someone else's." I said.

"Then I'll be over in about an hour to help."

"Great! Bye Matt, see you soon!" I said.

"Okay, bye Hana." he said.

When I hung up I changed out of my fuzzy polar bear PJ's and into some clothes before calling my parents. My mom agreed right away and was really excited to get to meet Matt. She told me they were going to be there in about 5 hours, which meant I had to have everything packed up by 12:30 am. Looking around at the barely packed room I groaned -this is not going to be fun! Before I started packing again I also called Kevin with an update.

It rang several times before I heard an unfamiliar voice answer "Hi, is this Hana?"

"Yeah, who is this?" I asked puzzled.

"It's Kevin's friend Eli from U-KISS."

"Oh, hi! Where's Kevin?" I asked.

"He just got out of the show -ow!" he exclaimed and I heard Kevin scolding him in the background "Why di you answer my phone and tell her I was in the shower?!" then I heard Eli say "It kept ringing, so I thought I'd at least let whomever know you'd be just a couple of minutes." The I heard Kevin say, "Well I'd appreciate it if you'd ask me first next time if I want you to answer my phone." I giggled a little bit 'He still acts the same as when he was a kid! He's always been protective over his things and we had that conversation many times over other things as kids.' 

"Hey Hana." he said.

"Hey." I said trying to stiffle the last of my giggles.

"Sorry if Eli was bugging you or telling you unnecessary things." he said apologetically.

"No, he was fine Kevin." I said

"Good. How's Mary doing?" he asked.

"Great, she had a rough recovery from surgery on her arm and they had to sedate her last night, but today her mom said she's awake and doing well. I haven't been able to go see her yet today because of my packing." I said.

"Excellent, most of U-KISS was praying for her and were wondering about her all day. Packing for what?" he asked puzzled.

"Yeah, we have to move out of our dorms today, so I'm packing up both me and Mary's stuff as we speak." I said.

"Oh, I see!" he said.

"What did you do today?" I asked.

"This morning we went sight seeing around Shanghai and this afternoon we had practice for the show we're doing on Christmas Eve. I kept messing up, so we had to restart our dances a lot." he said.

"That's neat, you'll have to send me some pics from your sight seeing! As far as practice goes, everyone has off days, but I'm sure you'll do fine for that actual concert." I said.

"Thanks Hana. You should get back to packing and go visit Mary." he said.

"But I don't want too, there's so much too do it's overwhelming." I replied pouting.

"I know, but I need to get to bed! Our manager scheduled us for extra practice really early tomorrow and besides procrastinating won't let you visit Mary any sooner." he said.

"Okay fine. Hope you sleep well Kevin!" I said

"I'll try! I hope your packing goes quickly and that you have a nice visit with Mary today." he said.

"Thanks Kevin for the encouragement!"

"No problem Hana! Bye bye."

"Bye...Kevin" I said as I heard him hanging up. After he did I thought to myself 'I almost said Love You Kevin. That would have been embarrasing! Why did I want to say that to him, but didn't feel like saying that to Matt earlier?'

Kevin's POV -Shanghai 9:45 pm December 21st.

Eli was lyring on his bed smirking at me when I hung up. 

"What?" I asked sitting across from him on my bed.

"You like her don't you?" he asked.

"I don't know." I lied -yes I know I shouldn't have because Eli knows me too well!

"You do and you know it! You were just flirting with her on the phone." he said stating the facts -I had been kind of fliry on the phone. Just like Soohyun 'Oh, no....' I mentally groaned.

"I guess? No, I do, but she's already got a boyfriend." I said sighing.

"That's tough," he said as I nodded in agreement. "For now you'll just have to settle for being friends, but your never know -they could break up someday and then you could make your move." he added.

"Yeah, or they could stay together, get married, and have a family." I said a little bitterly.

"True Kevin, very true. Are you going to get dressed? Or are you going to stay in that towel all night." He asked amused.

I socked him in the arm and quickly I ran to change into my pajamas.  I had been so focused on the fact that Eli answered my phone and Hana was on the line that I didn't realize I had only been covered with a towel. 'Oops!'

Hana's POV 12:30 am December 21st

I wiped the sweat from my brow and surveyed the room filled with stacks of tupperware totes and boxes. "Wow, we did it! Thanks for the help" I said smiling up at Matt who was standing next to me. There was no way I would have been able to get this done by the time my parents said they would be coming. 

"No problem Hana! It was fun!"  he said grinning back and rumpling my hair.

"Hey! Stop it!" 

"No! You're cute when you're mad." he said grabbing me into a hug

I tried wiggling away from him, but he caught me and kissed me on my head as I giggled.

Then we heard a knock on my door.

"That must be my parents." I said wiggling from his grasp and went to opening the door.

"Hey mom, Hey dad!" I said giving both of them a big hug.

After my mom released me "You must be Matt. Hana's told us so much about you, and it feels like you're already part of our family. Come give me a hug." she said motioning to him.

"Mom!" I said giving her a glare. "Matt you don't have to hug her if you don't want to." 

"It's okay Hana," he said giving her a hug and then turning to shake my father's hand "My mom's the same way."

We made quick work of the boxes and he and my dad got talking sports again -he had played Basketball in college with Mr. Davis. Then we drove off to the hospital to see Mary. After signing in we headed over to the elevator and punched the floor of her room. The elevator didn't move nearly fast enough for me and I fidgeted as we waited for it to stop and open the doors. 

Bolting out of the elevator I headed down the hall to Mary's room and I heard her and her parents' voices before we could see in the room. We brought her some cheery yellow flowers and my mom had specially baked her cinnamon roll cookies. I was honestly shocked at how mary looked -bumps and bruises covered her face and body- but she had a huge smile on her face when she saw us come in.

"Hana! Come sit! Hi Mr. and Mrs. Lee! Hi Matt!" she said happily patting the bed beside her.

"Mary, I'm so glad you're okay." I said teary eyed as I gave her a hug and sat on her bed.

"Me too! I'm sorry for making you worry!" she said. "It'll never happen again!"

"You better not or I'll stop being your friend." I said jokingly.

"You wouldn't dare stop being my friend!" she said in mock anger -I was so glad she was back to her normal bubbly self so fast.

After an hour or so of visiting the doctors took her away to get examined again and they declared her fit for discharge that afternoon. We made a caravan as we headed home: Mary rode back with her parents, I rode with Matt, and My parents drove by themselves. Before heading back to my house we stopped at Mary's house. Her siblings had made her a big sign saying 'Welcome home Mary!' and the ones stil awake eagerly clustered around her giving her hugs and kisses. It was a wonderful and almost magical sight. I happily thought as I watched 'Thank you God! This is the best gift any of us could have gotten this year and thanks for putting up with me the worry wart!'