Chapter 12- Brains and Planes

Letters to U-kiss

Flashback The evening of December 19th 

Hana's POV

Mary came home from class and quietly slipped in the door when I was studying. "Hey Mary! How was your last class?" I said smiling eager to show her the hair clip Kevin gave me. 

"Fine, How was your exam?" she asked in a voice that didn't seem quite as bubbly as her usual self. She walked over and plopped onto my bed and picked up the hair clip.

"Good, I think I did pretty well. What's the matter Mary?" I asked

"Nothing," she said "I've just got a little headache. Where'd you get the hair clip?" she asked.

"Oh," I said "My friend Kevin sent it to me for Christmas. Isn't it cute?" 

"Yeah, It's super cute! He seems to really know what a girl likes." she said smiling.

"I'm meeting at the coffee shop with some friends, so I'll let you get back to studying." she said.

"Did you want something for your headache?" I asked

"No, I've got some aspirin in my purse, and I'll take it after I've eaten something at the coffee shop. Bye Hana!" she said as she slipped back out the door.

I studied for a while before taking a break and sending an E-Card to Kevin. 'I hope he likes it', I thought as I hit the send button. I resumed studying and then stopped when I got hungry, plopping down my books and got up to go to the cafeteria. I glanced at the clock and it read 6:30pm. 'I wonder when Mary's coming back? I guess I'll go to supper by myself though, since she probably ate at the Coffee shop.' I thought as I grabbed my bag on the way out the door.

After supper I came back to our room thinking 'I'll be so glad to eat home cooked food again after all the junk, ramen, and packaged food I've eaten the past few months!' Then I settled in to study some more. As the evening wore on my eyes were getting sore from all the reading and it felt like my brain was turning to mush. I glanced at the clock again 11:00pm 'Mary's still not back? I'll call her and make sure she's okay -she always texts me if she's going to be out late, but I haven't heard from her at all.' 

I dailed her number and put my cell phone up to my ear. "Brrrring, Brrring, Brrrring.....Hi! You have reached Mary D's phone. I'm currently not available, so please leave a message after the tone and I'll get back to you as soon as I can." Starting to panic a little I though to myself 'Wierd, she usually answers my calls too.....I'll text a couple of people and see if she's with them. Hopefully she'll walk in the door any minute, so I won't have to worry. She always says I worry to much about things, but I can't help it when it involves people I care about.' 

Meanwhile mid-afternoon December 20th Kevin's POV 

The plane ride was relatively uneventful....if you count uneventful meaning noone was sick, injured, or killed by the time we landed. We were seated in first class and I was next to Dongho and Kibum for the flight. Dongho took the window seat, I was in the middle, and Kibum sat in the aisle seat. 

Several fans on their way to their seats passed us whispering and giggling behind their hands, and some even were bold enough to stop for autographs. Our manager quickly hurried them along when he noticed them, but some lucky ones slipped under his radar. Stewardesses likewise kept people ushered along and sternly enforced their no cell phone use on planes policy, which ensured there would be no pictures of us taken. 

When everyone had boarded and the flight was underway Dongho ordered a soda. It must have been shaken up a little bit accidentally, because when he opened it we were showered with a nice spray of sticky clear liquid. The stewardess seemed really embarassed and offered us a buch of paper towels to sop up the mess. Poor Dongho got the worst of it, so I borrowed him the change of clothes I had packed in my carry on.

Kibum avoided getting any of the sticky soda on him, since he was the farthest away, but I got a good armful of it. After Dongho changed I went to the bathroom to wash off my arm. I sighed as I washed my armed 'This is going to be a long flight the way things are going, even though it's only about 2 hours.'

Dongho slept for most of the rest of the flight. I settled in with my mp3 player and listened to some tunes. Kibum sat reading a book. Before we knew it was time to land and Dongho and I eagerly looked out the windows as we landed in Shanghai. The Yangtze river stretched out along side the runway and the large rippling roofed terminal building.

We were greeted by another large crowd of fans as we exited the plane and were escorted to the vehicles they had arranged for our transportation. Our manager arranged to have our suitcases delivered to our hotel before we left. After we arrived and got settled into our rooms I whipped out my phone to type a quick email to Hana. Glad to hear you liked your present! The e-card you sent was really cute and I'll have to show it to the guys later -we just arrived in shanghai for our performance on the 24th. I can send your friend a hair clip too if you let me know what color she likes. Hope your last exam went well, and I bet you're glad to be heading home to your family. -Kevin

Meanwhile Late December 19th -Mary's POV

'Just one more drink, and then I'll go back' I told myself as I sat at a table in the bustling club.

"Hey beautiful! Can I buy you a drink?" said a guy.

'Why not?' I thought "Sure, just one though" I said plastering on a forced smile.

Before long I was getting as tipsy as a kite, but I didn't care. I mean how else do expect me to react when that bastard Kris broke up with me.

Earlier:

"Brrring, Brrring....Hey Kris, what's up?!" I said happily -it had been a little while since we had talked last and it was nice to hear from him again. 

"Mary, I don't know how to tell you this, so I'll say it directly. I've met someone else that I really like at school this semester." he said. -Kris had decided to go to Kentucky for college because they had a great baseball team.

I stayed silent seething 'So this is why he hasn't been calling me! The Jerk!'

"Mary, you okay?" he asked. 'You think I'm okay when you just broke up with me?!' I replied in my mind.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I lied majorly through my gritted teeth.

"Good! I still want to be friends, and I'll never forget all the great times we had together." he said.

"Okay, well I should go." I said numbly.

"Bye Ma...." he was saying as I hung up and then proceeded to burst into tears. 'Why do things like this always seem to happen to me out of the blue? We had been doing so well and were together for so long. I guess this is what I get for going to a different college than him!'

When I had composed myself and gone back home Hana had asked me what was wrong, but I couldn't tell her. I didn't want to distract her when she was stuying for her last and most important final. Besides she couldn't do much for me anyways other than comfort me, so that's when I had the brilliant idea of going clubbing.

 

*Thanks for you patience! I've had some health problems this past week and typing has been challenging to say the least. :P Hope you enjoyed it!