Chapter 46- June letters

Letters to U-kiss

Kevin's POV

I was lucky enough to have the chance to read Hana's reply to my letter before my trip to the Phillipines..

May 28, 2010

Dear Kevin,

Thanks for the congratulations! It feels really good to be done with my first year and I can't believe how time has flown by. It seems like just yesterday when I graduated high school. There were a lot of first for me amongst all this year too -moving away from home, going to college, having a steady boyfriend, and finally being in Jae's wedding next month.

I'm not taking any summer classes, although I wish I had in a way, but you're right I'll stay plenty busy this summer with Jae's wedding. I did get a summer job helping with the local recreation department's discovery camps, which will be fun! We get to teach them about all sorts of fun things -there's a sports week (which I will epically fail at), an animal week, a storybook week, a rhythm and movement week, a science week, a history week, an explorers week, and an arts and crafts week. It's really nice because sessions are from about 8 until 3 each weekday, so evenings and weekends I have free to do various things.

I hope your travels go smoothly! I'm sure you'll send me pictures and emails of the various things you're going to do and see there though. It sounds like you guys are insanely busy right now, but at least it's keeping you out of trouble! ;)  I'll be praying for you all in your activities and things.

Things have been going okay with Matt, but I'm starting to feel that maybe he's not the best choice for me. He hasn't been drinking, but a couple weeks ago he pressured me into drinking at a party we went to. My parents also found out what had happened at school and wanted me to break up with him immediately -I guess they don't want me to be a repeat of how Jae was by one of her boyfriends. He also, hasn't come with me to church or youth gatherings yet, but I guess I did just make him promise to only come to CRU. Lately he's been pushing me for more physical contact too, which I've been rather firm about yet he still doesn't seem to want to listen. Golly, I think reasoning this out in words to you makes this whole situation sound even worse. :(

Mary's been really debating about starting to date Kris again too. Kris had asked her out, but she had refused. I think she's scared of what a hungry Christian he's become, but I can see that she's starting to seek herself. Let's hope that she comes to find peace in God's truths like us.

Love your friend,

-Hana

The day before we left I mailed her a reply:

June 9, 2010

Dear Hana,

You are so right that time does fly! To me it seems like just yesterday when we were debuting. It's going to be our 2nd debut anniversary on August 28th. Anyways, I'm glad your first year went well. A break for the summer from school work isn't a bad thing and that way you can gather all your lost marbles again. 

Your summer job sounds like the perfect fit for you too. How are you going to stand the animal week though? Everything furry either scares you or seems to make you sneeze, if I'm remembering correctly? All the other weeks sound really fun, and I think you'll learn just as much as the kids do in some way or other. At least you'll get some valuable experience helping keep kids in line and focused on something. 

Thanks for the well wishes and prayers for our trip. I will send you lots of pics and things when I can in between things. Just looking at our anticipated ittinerary it appears we will have next to no free time, but at least like you say we'll stay out of trouble. I probably won't be back until the end of the month, but we shall see if something changes schedule-wise.

Keep standing up for yourself with Matt! A guy that pushes you to do things you don't believe are right isn't a good guy -a guy who truly treasures you won't push you to do something you don't want. Remember the bible says we shouldn't be yolked together with unbelievers. I'm struggling with this too because although Norae goes to church, I'm not sure where exactly her heart is at and she still doesn't want to open up completely to me. I said in my last letter things were going pretty well with Norae, but it seems like she's trying to distance herself from me again. Maybe she just doesn't like how much I've been gone? I try to stay in touch, but it seems like I'm always the one making the bigger effort. Relationships are complicated. :P

I'll keep Mary in my prayers as well, but I'm happy she's starting to seek! Who knows maybe dating Kris will help bring her to Christ as well? God works in ways we cannot understand completely sometimes. 

Love,

-Kevin <3

I waited to reply to his letter for a few days, since he was going to be gone anyways and I was busy helping Jae get the finishing touches on everything for her wedding. I helped host the bridal shower at the beginning of the month, since Deanna had to work and couldn't take too many weeks of vacation.

June 20, 2010

Dear Kevin,

Wow! It's almost been 2 years since you've debuted with U-KISS? I thought it was much less than that! The past couple of years must have really gotten you more used to the life you're leading too -of course you were part of XING too and already were somewhat used to it from then. You're right that I did need a break from school, but who said I lost any marbles?! I'm perfectly full of them! XD 

My Job is the perfect fit for me & I love all the kiddos I'm meeting! Animal week....well I can tell you I didn't scream or run away, but a few times I was close. Going to the zoo was pretty fun besides having to go into the petting zoo and get swarmed by hungry goats looking for food.

 Plus, we did a lot of other things besides just playing with animals all day. One day we made pet treats and took them to the local humane society -it was so loud in there and I felt kind of bad for all the dogs and cats stuck in the little cages. Mind you I didn't really want to take any of them home, but there were a couple of cute ones. ;)  People came and did talks on different careers with animals and each had activities that the kids did to show what they learned.

Jae's Wedding Shower was pretty fun. We did a Garden Party theme and I was in charge of it because your sister couldn't fly out for more than the wedding. We did sweet little tea sandwhiches, turquoise colored lemonade, and cupcakes that formed the shape of a tuxedo top and a wedding dress. For games we did a bride and groom trivia and then bridal shower bingo to play while opening gifts. It was a lot of fun and Jae got almost all the basic things that she had wanted for their future apartment.

Her bachelorette party is coming up next weekend and your sister is flying out to take charge of that. I honestly would have no idea what to do for one of those. I'm excited to get to see Deanna again! She's always been super nice -well except when she was teasing me and you, but besides that she was pretty cool. It's kind of funny how both of us are friends with each others' sibling.

I really enjoyed seeing your trip pictures & I was tickled you took the time out of your busy schedule to talk with me too. You sounded pretty tired most of the time, but who wouldn't be with long hours, a lot going on each day, and not enough sleep. Rest up well when you get back to Korea!!

I have been holding my grounds with Matt, and things have been a bit better. I do agree a good guy won't push me beyond what I feel is right, but so far I think we're doing okay. I have been struggling with that scripture about being unequally yolked -Jae and I had a talk about that before and warned me not to end up in her shoes a few years back. I probably shouldn't tell you this, but I trust you and you're like family -Jae can't have kids because she had an abortion after getting by her former boyfriend. 

I hope things go well with Norae and that God gives you wisdom about what you should do. Maybe she's just jealous you're getting to travel and things? She seems like she's very cautious about relationships though -if I had been hurt by other people, I would have a hard time opening up too. Otherwise maybe she's just being a girl too? I know I get moody sometimes. Relationships are super complicated -why do we have to grow up and fall in love?

Mary's been willingly coming to church and youth gatherings with me, so things are looking up! Kris and her actually went out on a "friend date" the other day and we shall see what happens there. She told me he wanted their relationship to be less physical and more like how God wants a relationship to be between an umarried man and woman. That's definitely an encouragement to see that he's changed so much and hopefully this will continue to get her track? I'm so excited for them to be together again though!

Love,

-Hana

Kevin's POV

As soon as I got back from the philippines I ransacked my private mail stash and read Hana's letter. Hearing from her was always a breath of fresh air no matter how exhausted I was. I got so engrossed in reading her letter that I had forgotten to call Norae to let her know we had arrived back safely. She sounded a little upset over the phone when I called her so late, and I told her I'd take her on a date the coming weekend if I didn't have a schedule -We've all had a lot of schedules lately and often they came up last minute. I hope I won't have to cancel on her again like how I had to the weekend before I left. 

*Hello Lovelies! New chapter for you :) Sorry I was busy studying like mad for midterms and had no time to write, but today I had a short reprieve and wrote this for you. ~AA