Chapter 23- Sermons and the Secret admirer

Letters to U-kiss

*****Disclaimer and Warning*****

If anyone wishes not to read a biblically based "sermon" or will be offended by it I would advise you to skip the beginning portion of this chapter, although I do hope you will read it. Also, since I am not a preacher and am still fairly new to sharing any evangelical doctrine, there may be some flaws in my understanding and presentation of the topic. Although I grew up in a christian home, and have heard these things for years upon years, I've only come into a personal relationship with my Savior in the recent past. ~AA (Whe you see the ******** that's when the part ends)

 

Mary's POV- 

That sunday I decided to go to chuch with Hana -what could it hurt really? Everyone seemed to know everyone as I walked in the door next to her and her family, so I felt kind of out of place. People smiled and cordially said hi and I politely greeted them back wondering if they were really sincere or just being kind. We sat right in a middle row of chairs -I was really glad we weren't right up at the front.

 

They called the service to order and talked about some events and things happening at the church to which I didn't really pay attention to honestly. Then we were asked to stand and sing the Hymn "He Giveth More Grace" together. I looked around half singing as I listened to all the voices rising together in a beautiful harmony.

 

"He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater,
 
 He sendeth more strength as our labors increase; 
 
To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,
 
To multiplied trials He multiplies peace."
 
 
Questions started flitting through my mind. 'Who gives us grace? How does he send us strength? Who and how can they nullify the bad with more mercy? How can he, whoever he is, give us peace in trails?'
 
 
"When we have exhausted our store of endurance, 
 
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
 
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources 
 
Our Father’s full giving is only begun."
 
 
'Who's this father that gives us hope when we're at our limits?'
 
 
"Fear not that thy need shall exceed His provision,
 
Our God ever yearns His resources to share;
 
Lean hard on the arm everlasting, availing;
 
The Father both thee and thy load will upbear."
 
 
'God does all that? But how could he do that for me? Why should I lean on him?'
 
 
"His love has no limits, His grace has no measure,
 
His power no boundary known unto men;
 
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
 
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again."

 

 

'God loves us without limitations? How is that possible? If he has so much grace, why do we have to go through bad things? Is he really all powerful if he lets bad things happen to us? What does he give and why should I get anything from him?'  -Thoughts upon thoughts just went tumbling through my head. It was almost like a dam had been broken and things were just rushing out.

 

After that I mulled over these things the rest of the service and didn't really pay much attention to the message until I heard the preacher say "......Why do bad things happen in the world? Why do innocent people have to suffer? How can God let these things happen?" he paused and seemed too look straight at me and I squirmed a bit in my seat.

 

"Now this is a question may non-believers ask and most christians find it hard to answer. How do you refute this? It's not easy, but I'll tell you where to start. In Romans 3:23 it states 'All have Sinned and fall short of the glory of God' and in verse ten it also states 'There are none Righteous, Not even one.' God makes it very clear there are no truely good or perfect people in this world and because of this none can come to him unless they're covered by his blood."

 

'What is sin? Sure I'm not perfect, but I'm not a bad person? What do they mean none can come to him unless covered by his blood?' I frowned. 

 

He continued "You may be thinking how does this relate to bad things happening in the world. It does, because how can there be all good in a sinful world? If everything in the world was purely good how could anyone distinguish the bad from the good? God also created the world in a perfect state, but due to man's disobedience he allowed evil from the devil that distorts the good, pain, and suffering to come into it.

 

Does this mean he's not in control of evil? No! In the the book of James he states 'Let no one say when he is tempted, “I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one.'  and also in the third passage of the book of first John 'Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness.  But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin.  No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him. Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. The one who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous.  The one who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil’s work.  No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.  This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.' This illustrates for us the fact that God does not tempt anyone to sin, but it is our sinful nature and the work of the devil that cause us to fail him.

 

Now some people may say why then in Isaiah chapter 45 of scriptures does it say 'I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the Lord who does all these things' God does ordain supposadly bad things to happen, but this does not mean he is capable of moral evil. This is simply summed up by the passage in Romans chapter 8 'And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.'

 

1 Corinthians 10 'There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].' This means that although God may allow us to experience things that are more than we can handle alone. He does this so we can call upon him whenever we feel to weary or overwhelmed with temptation. One of the best way to get rid of temptation haunting us is to fill ourselves with the truths of his word and spend time in prayer with him. 

 

'Then how come this God could let something like that happen? Was he trying to reach out to me? How come I feel so wierd?'

 

The rest of the sermon I found pretty puzzling and ended up tuning out because there were so many things I didn't understand. I liked the singing at the end though, because I had always enjoyed Choir at school. 

 

*****************************************************

 

"So how was it?" Hana asked as we walked back to the car with her family.

 

"Okay, I guess." I said a little uncomfortably.

 

"Mmmmm," she mused knowingly "Do you have any questions about anything?"

 

"No," I lied one of the only times I ever had to Hana, but it made me feel awful.

 

"Well if you do have questions let me know and I'll try to answer them the best I can, or at least point you in the right direction."

 

"Do you want to come over for lunch?" I asked quickly changing the topic."My mom made pot roast and said all of you were invited."

 

Hana looked at her parents. "It's okay with me, but let's stop and pick up a side dish to take along and then at home to pick up the cake I made last night." said Mrs. Lee. "Dear, don't forget I'm on call at the university hospital this afternoon." said Dr. Lee. "Would you like me to drop you off at home then when we pick up the cake? There's leftovers in the fridge or else you could take our other car to have on hand at the Davis's." she said trouble shooting the situation. "I'll do that latter, but I have to leave by 1pm for rounds." he said agreeing to her plan.

 

Half an hour later we arrived at my house, after the scramble of picking up stuff to make taffy apple salad and some cheese, the cake, and grabbing the extra car. I led the way to our front door and as I was about to knock the door flew open. My youngest sister Sadie was jumping up and down excitedly "Mary! Mary! Come and see." "Come and see what?" I said puzzled. "A box came for you with your name on it! Come open it! Mommy wouldn't let me open it to peek either" she chattered excited pulling me inside by my good arm.

 

I was purely purplexed. 'What could have come for me? I didn't order anything and besides it's a sunday -there's no mail companies that deliver.' Sadie pulled me to a stop when we reached the kitchen table where a long red box tied with gold string lay. I looked quizzically at my mom who was standing there and she just shrugged her shoulders. 'If it wasn't from them who could it be?'

 

"Can I open it for you? P-leeeeaaaassseee." begged Sadie. "Sure, but be careful." I said since I had no idea what was in the box. She quickly undid the bow in the gold string and pulled it off. Then she lifted the cover and gasped "It's so pretty!" she said revealing a single yellow dahlia that was close to the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. "What's this?" she said taking out a small piece of paper and read.

 

Mary,

As this flower tells 

your dignity has me under spell

~Your Secret Admirer

 

"Did you see who dropped this off?" I asked my mom. She shook her head "No, it was here when we got back from Mass." The wheels in my head were turning. 'Who could have left this? Was it a guy from high school that had a crush on me and decided to try their luck in securing my affections? Or a college guy friend trying their luck? Or the biggest or of all.....was it Kris trying to make things right?' That thought immediately put a damper on my excitement of getting a surprise gift and made me kind of moody.

 

Hana's POV

Mary's face lit up instantly when she saw the yellow dahlia whose tips seemed to be dipped in a creamy white. Instantly when I heard the note and saw the flower I guessed that it must be from Kris -he was one of the few people who knew Mary's favorite flower was a dahlia and he seemed a little overly friendly at the mall after what he had done.

 

I think Mary realized shortly afterwards what I had already, but if only there was a way I could confirm it. Mary got all moody after that thought and I don't blame her -I wasn't happy about it myself. 'Why would he try to go for Mary again anyways? Did he break up with the "other women" already? If he is going after her -how can I stop him? 

 

When I got home it was late afternoon and I decided to text Kevin for some advice or ideas.

 

'Hey Kevin! How's your album preperation coming? I'll be home and up tonight pretty late if you want to call me ~Hana'

 

Kevin's POV

 

My phone buzzed at 4:30 am that I had recieved a text message. I decided to look at it, since it was probably from Hana or someone else in America. Reading the message I decided I'd call her in a couple hours when we were on our way to dance practice and that was one of the few activities I'd been allowed to attend since my incident. I fell back asleep and was woken up by my alarm at 6. All the other members were groggily eating some breakfast as I rounded up Dongho for the day. 

 

When were all in the van I decided to call Hana, but that probably wasn't the best idea with all the guys in the van too. 

 

'Hey Hana!' I said when she answered and all they guys were staring at me funnily and I heard Soohyun ask "Is he Two-Timing Norae? Wah, he's more of a player than I thought" which made all of them snicker and I mouthed 'be quiet!' before throwing my hat at him.

 

"Hey Kevin! Is everything alright?!" she asked when I didn't respond back and she must have heard soohyun yell "ouch!."

 

"Yeah we're just on our way to dance practice, so the guys were just being kind of noisy."

 

"Oh, OK. How's everything going for the new album?"

 

"Pretty good. We're staying busy. I had a bit of an incident so they cancelled some of my schedule."

 

"Oh no! Are you hurt? What kind of incident?"

 

"Sort of, but not really. I got into a bit of a fight"

 

"A Fight! Kevin do I need to come over there and straighten you out?" she said in a motherly tone.

 

"It wasn't much of one and I didn't hit the guy, he hit me when I was trying to protect my friend." and all the guys snickered as Xander leaned over and spoke into the phone "He means his GIRLfriend." to which I yelled "Yah! Stop it guys!"

 

"Girlfriend? Really? Do tell!" she said giggling. "When did that happen?"

 

"She's just a friend that I met when my mom's friend came over for our family's late Christmas celebration dinner."

 

"Ooookay, sure....." she said in a doubtful tone.

 

"Anyways enought about me. How are you?"

 

"I'm doing pretty good. I kind of blew up at Mary's Ex when he tried to say hi to us at the mall the other day." she said a little sheepishly.

 

"I don't blame you. What did he say?"

 

"He stood there sort of dumbfounded as we bolted. I'm afraid he's trying to get back with her again though."

 

"Why?"

 

"A Secret Admirer left a flower, her favorite kind of flower that very few people know what it is, at her house today and everyone who knew her favorite flower was there except for Kris. Should I ask them if it was him or should I just wait and see what happens?"

 

"Hmmmm that does sound suspicious, but I think for now just wait and see what happens."

 

"Okay, but I'm just worried Mary will get hurt again if it is him."

 

"Yeah, I don't blame you for that either." I said as our van pulled up to our dance practice building. "Hey Hana I got to go now."

 

"Okay, thanks for the advice and practice hard, eat lots, and take care of yourself!"

 

"Yes Mom!" I teased.

 

"Pffft that's what I get for being nice." she said sarcastically.

 

"Sweet dreams to you Hana!"

 

"Thanks! Bye bye Kevin!"

 

"Bye Hana!" I said before I heard her click off the phone and happily headed off into practice.