Chapter 3- First Reply

Letters to U-kiss

Kevin’s POV

It was really hard to stay focused in practice after receiving Hana’s letter. At almost every moment I was thinking about what to write her. Several times in our singing rehearsals I missed my que and I had to apologize to everyone.“joe-song Hap-mi-da everyone.  I’m just not myself today.”

“Yeah, ‘cause you’re thinking about your girlfriend in America.” Sniggered Eli causing the rest of the guys to look at me curiously.

“YAH! First off: A) I don’t have a girlfriend, B) She’s just a friend, and C) I like someone else. So there!”

“Take it easy Kevin! I was just teasing…..but since you responded that way maybe you do like her.” Said Eli.

“YAH! Get back here Eli!” I yelled as I threw my hat at his figure making towards the door.

That night I decided to start penning my letter.

Hana’s POV

‘I wonder if Kevin got my letter yet or not?’ I thought as I sat in my beanbag chair spacing out reading my sociology textbook. ‘Maybe he doesn’t want to write to me? Or maybe he’s too busy? I guess it’s only been a few weeks since my letter was sent.’

Just then Mary burst in “Hey Hana, want to come along to Carters for dinner? It’s Kay’s birthday and we’re celebrating there.”

“Sure, just let me grab my bag” I said carefully tossing aside my textbook and hoisting myself off my cushy bean bag chair.

“Wait! You’re not going like that are you?” she asked. “There’s going to be some cute guys there, and honey excuse my French, but you look like a hobo!”

I looked down and assessed my appearance, which was quite worse for the wear –old sweats, a tee whose lettering had seen better days, and my hair was hap-hazardly piled into a messy bun. “Um..on second thought give me 5 minutes.”

The next day there was a letter addressed to me from Korea, which was pretty exciting - I had been checking the mail drop anxiously every day the past few days and saw nothing.  The only catch was I had to wait until after my classes to read it. Later that evening I tore the envelope open anxiously and read:

September 4, 2009

Annyeonghaseyo Hana,

Joe-song hap-mi-da for not being able to write back to you sooner –the singing group I’m in is working on a mini album, so there have been a lot of recording sessions, choreography practice, and photo shoots lately. First off, I would enjoy being pen-pals with you again.

I’ve been very well, but busy as I mentioned as a singer in the K-pop group called U-KISS. I’m one of six members, but I originally debuted with a different group called Xing. I auditioned when I visited Korea for a holiday trip. I trained for several months before debuting and then left that group in 2007 along with my fellow member to join U-KISS in 2008.

We travel all over South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, China, and various places all over the world to perform. Some of our other activities include modeling, filming commercials, and starring in variety shows. Last year we starred in one called You Know U-KISS as an introduction to our group and this year we were in one called All About U-KISS.

Have you listened to any of our music? I’d recommend Give It To Me because that’s my favorite of all the songs we’ve done so far. It’s a lot of fun being a singer and I love dancing, but it gets tiring being in the public eye. Sometimes I wish I hadn’t become a singer, but then again I wouldn’t have met so many neat people and done so many things.

As far as college goes I have no plan or need to attend currently, but I may in the future if I want to pursue acting. I think it’s really cool that you’re going to be a great teacher –you were always good at keeping people in line as a kid! It must be nice having someone you know as a roommate in college. If I went I’d have to commute back to the U-KISS dorms, which would almost be the same as having a friend as a roommate.

I’m sure you’ll really miss your mom’s cooking! I remember eating all sorts of cookies and goodies when we hung out -I really missed your mom’s goodies when you moved away. It’s really great your dad your dad’s researching is going well. Our whole family missed you guys a lot when your family moved across the country.

When is your sister getting married? Did Jae tell Deanna about getting married? If your sister doesn’t mind I’ll be telling her next time we talk that Jae’s getting married and is a doctor–She’ll be so thrilled for her. They used to hang out all the time like us too. Your dress sounds very nice and I’m sure you’ll look great in it.

What’s life like at college? How are the dorms? Have you been homesick? What do you like to do for fun? Do you know much Korean or do you just speak English? I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Your Chingu,

-Kevin

Grabbing my laptop I searched on YouTube for the song he recommended and listened to it. It was really cool and I Googled a picture of the group. I thought to myself I was transfixed when I saw him ‘Wow, Kevin looks a lot different. He’s really cute, but he looks kind of like a girl with long hair.’ I smirked at that thought, since he always was a pretty boy. “Uh oh….I think I’ve got a crush started, or maybe two, or more all of those guys are pretty cute.’

Mary came in while I was listening to another of U-KISS’s songs. “What’s that? It sounds Chinese.”

“It’s not Chinese, It’s Korean! My friend Kevin wrote back and he’s a singer in this group.”

“Cool. Where’s a picture of him? I want to see him” she asked leaning over my shoulder.

“Hang on, let me pull one up for you.” I said pointing to the screen of my laptop while Talk To Me played on in the background.

“He’s pretty cute….Hana’s got a boyfriend, Hana’s got a boyfriend!” she chanted with a smug face as I scowled back at her.

“He’s not my boyfriend! He’s just a friend.” I said, but in my head I was thinking ‘I wouldn’t mind having him as a boyfriend or dating him, but he’s halfway around the world.’

Chapter Glossary

*Joe-song Hap-mi-da- 죄송합니다 –I’m sorry, apology, feeling ashamed.

*Yah!-야아 (actually Romanizes to Yaa instead of yah)-hey, hey you (not polite/informal!)

*Annyeonghaseyo- 안녕하세요- Hello (Annyeong 안녕 means peace or peace be to you)

*Chingu-친구- Friend