Chapter 15- Sight Seeing & Surgery

Letters to U-kiss

Kevin's POV December 21st Morning

All the guys were looking at me smugly as I hung up the phone. "What?!"

"Was that your girlfriend?" asked Xander mischievously.

"She's not my girlfriend!" I said scowling at him

"Someone's in denial!" said Kibum raising his eyebrows

"She's really not!"

"Is her friend all right?" asked Xander " I was praying for her."

I nodded "Yeah, she's in the hospital getting checked over."

"Good! We were praying for her too." said Soohyun as Dongho and Eli nodded in agreement.

"Thanks guys I know Hana and everyone really appreciated it!" I said smiling. "So where are we going sight seeing today?"

"I think we were going to Yu Garden." said Kiseop as we got up and headed to the Van. It was rather chilly so we all bundled up and I wore the scarf that Hana had made me. The guys were teasing me again about Hana being my girlfriend because she had made me the scarf.

We arrived at Yu Garden and went into the grounds. The buildings were beautiful with their pointy roofs and cheerful red and gold exteriors.  All the gardens were connected over the water laden grounds by bridges and some sported the same pointy roofs as the buildings. 

We threw in bread for the swirling school of Koi fish that were eagerly poking their little gold or  white faces out of the water. I imitated their ever moving mouths and we all enjoyed watching how silly they were. "Kevin are these your relatives?" asked Dongho jokingly since one of my many nicknames was fish. All of the guys laughed and I said "Maybe, but I don't think they quite share my dashing good looks."

Because it was cold we then went to the tea house for something to warm us up. Sitting in a more private corner we were served a sweet and earthy green tea. Traditional musicians played lovely music on Guzheng, Huqan, Sheng, Pipa, and  zhongruan. Then we walked through some buildings admiring the old furnishings and decor. The last thing we did was watching some street performers displaying their acrobatic skills and some martial arts demonstrations.

"That was neat" I said as we headed back to our Van. 

"Sure was" agreed Xander.

Next we stopped by the Bund and walked along some of it viewing the interesting arcitecture. There were lots of little shops along the way that sported lots of little trinkets and accessories. We all goofed off trying on accessories and taking pictures making silly faces. Several times we also got stopped by fans to take pictures with them or give our autographs.

There we also grabbed some food from a restaurant and went to the Shanghai museum. At the museum there were all sorts of interesting bronze artwork that ranged from comical looking dragons to beautiful vases. Statues and carvings as well ranged from large and relatively crude to small and intricate. It definitely was a history or art lovers dream.

Then we hopped back into our van and headed off to rehearsals. Each group got a different time block to practice and exercise, and ours was in the late afternoon. We spent an hour practicing the dances and songs they had selected for us. Our manager would stop us in the middle of the songs and then have us pick up where we left off to make sure we really had the choreography down.

The whole time I had Hana and her friend Mary in the back of my mind, so I was making a lot more mistakes than normal. The guys groaned as we had to start over a section of the choreography again because of my mistake. "Yah, Kevin focus already!" said Soohyun.

"Mianhe, I'm just anxious about hearing an update from Hana on her friend." I said.

"We all are curious, but please can you put it aside for the next 20 minutes? Otherwise we'll be her all night!" he said crossly. I knew everyone including myself was getting tired and hungry. After that I did a little better at keeping focused, but I definitely wasn't quite as sharp as normal.

Meanwhile in the US on the evening of December 20th.....

When Matt and I arrived at the hospital we checked in at the counter. before we saw that Mary's mom was waiting for us.  "I'm sorry I didn't push her to tell me what was wrong!" I said sadly.

"It's not your fault Hana. We all know how Mary is, but we're just glad she's safe now!" she said giving me a hug. "I wish she was more responsible like you sometimes." 

"How is she?" I asked with concern as we headed to the elevator.

"She's okay, but her arm was broken pretty badly and they have her in surgery now."  said Mrs. Davis as she pushed the floor button where Mr. Davis was waiting. 

"I see. They caught the guys that kidnapped her right?"

"Yeah, the police have all three down at the station for persecution. When Mary's up to it she'll need to go down and testify along with the other girls they found."

"They rescued some other girls too?" I said shocked.

"Yes, several of them had been missing for several months and who knows what those guys put them through. Those guys had been running a human trafficing operation and luckily the investigators decided to make a move on the case when they did......" she said trailing off as the elevator chimed marking that we had reached our floor.

"Me too! I was so worried for Mary! Are the rest of the kids staying at home?" I asked her.

"Yep, we left Tom in charge of everyone and the grandparents will be getting there tomorrow to lend a hand." she said "Hopefully the house isn't in shambles by the time we come back."  Mary had 7 siblings: Tom who was 16, Julie and Haley who were 13, Jack who was 11, Luke who was 8, Sadie who was 6, and lastly 3 year old Joey. Their house was always busy and most of the time it seemed like Mary came over just to get away from it all, but I didn't care. I would try to get away if I were her too!

"I see! If they need anything my mom and dad should be around too."

"Thanks Hana, we'd already talked to them about that when we found out what had happened with Mary. Tom has their number and we told him to call them if something came up before my parents could get there." she said.

"Hi Hana, nice to see you." said Mr. Davis as we arrived in the waiting area.

"Nice to see you too, but I wish it was under better circumstances!" I said

"Me too," He said nodding with a grim expression on.

"Do you guys need or can I get you anything?" I asked as Mary's mom sat down by her husband on the settee in the waiting area.

"No Thanks Hana." said Mr. Davis "We grabbed some food and coffee from the vending machines before. Who's this fine looking fellow?" 

"Oh, I'm sorry! This is my boyfriend Matt." I said as he stepped forward and shook their hands"Matt meet Mr. and Mrs. Davis, and Mr. and Mrs. Davis meet Matt." 

"Ah, your mom told me you had a boyfriend, but I guess I've gotten the pleasure of meeting him before she did." said Mrs. Davis chuckling. "What are you studying at NYU Matt?"

"I'm going for a degree in Journalism." he said.

"Oh, neat. Have you always wanted to be a writer?" she asked -Mrs. Davis tended to be kind of nosy while Mr. Davis was pretty laid back.

"Not really. I wanted to play pro-ball, but I don't think I'm good enough so I thought I'd get a career where I could write about it." he said.

"So you're a basketball player?" Mr. Davis asked after his interest was tweaked by the words pro-ball.

Yes, Sir." he said.

"What do you play?" he asked.

"Small Forward"

Mr. Davis and Matt seemed to hit off once the sports talk started and went on to discuss college ball, the NBA, and Mr. Davis' glory days when he played college ball years ago. Me and Mrs. Davis grabbed magazines to flip through while the guys talked. However both of us kept anxiously glancing at the clock while Mary was in surgery. After a little over a hour of waiting the Doctors informed us Mary's surgery had gone well, but there was quite a bit of damage to her ligaments, connective tissue, and muscles.

Matt and I didn't get to see her, since it was after visiting hours and family only was allowed to be with her while she recovered from surgery. I asked the Davis' to call us when she was awake and to tell her hi for us. Matt and I said our goodbyes and the headed back to campus. 

Mary's POV

Hearing voices talking quietly all around me and I felt people or things touching my arms. I opened my eyes and saw a person in a white jacket and several other people dressed in shades of blue. Disoriented I tried to to move and get away thinking I was still in the captivity of my kidnappers. I felt them touch me, trying to keep me still, but that made me struggle more. The tubes inside my mouth and throat made me panic feeling like I couldn't breath.

I heard someone say "Mrs. Davis come talk to her. I think she's a little confused right now." Amongst the sea of unfamiliar faces I saw my mom's face pop in. "Mary honey, lie still. You're safe now." Hearing that I relaxed my struggle little, but I still was trying to sit up and move. "Mary, you just got out of surgery and need to rest, so stop fighting." said the man in the white coat.

"Mary please lie still." I heard My mom say anxiously and my dad piped up too "Mary, stop it. You'll hurt your self!" They said several other variations of the same thing, but I still wasn't convinced by their words -It felt like I was still in a dream. Then I heard the doctor say "Prepare a small dose of sedative to help calm her down. Trying to reason with her isn't going to help at this point." Before I knew it I was off to dreamland again. 

Mr. Davis' POV

Watching Mary wake up from surgery was really hard. It was heartbreaking watching her struggle even when we tried talking and reasoning with her. I really didn't want the doctor to give her more medicine, but she was going to hurt someone the way she was kicking and flailing her arms around. After the medication took effect I called Hana. "Hey Hana, Mr. Davis here."

"Hey, how's Mary?" she asked.

"She was having a rough recovery, so they had to give her a sedative and she's sleeping again."

"Oh, I see." she said sounding a little disappointed.

"The doctors say she should sleep most of the night, and we'll be taking turns watching her." I said.

"Good, I hope she's doing okay so we can visit her tomorrow before my parents are coming to pick up our stuff and I'll pack up Mary's things for her." she said.

"Great, we'll give you a call in the morning and let you know how she's doing." I said.

Hana's POV late at night on December 20th

Matt dropped me off and then I got the phone call from Mr. Davis.

After I hung up I had too much on my mind to go to sleep right away and decided to pack up some of our things. "Boy, did we collect a lot of stuff over the semester living here!' I thought shaking my head as I piled my textbooks, notebooks, and binders into a large Rubbermaid tote, and simultaneously tossed some unnecessary papers into our recycling basket. By that point my lack of sleep was starting to take over, so I got ready to sleep. That night however after I lay in bed my mind was so full that finally I started praying 'God, please be with Mary and her parents as she recovers....I know you're in control, but I'm still really worried about her....I just can't help it! Thank you also for allowing her to be found quickly and without any major injuries. In your name Amen' Feeling a little more at peace after that and I was then able to I drifted off to dreamland which I needed for my busy day tomorrow.