Chapter 17- The Concert and Christmas eve

Letters to U-kiss

Kevin's POV -Christmas eve day

It finally was almost time for our set at the Super Show concert in Shanghai. The past couple of days our manager booked a dance room for us to rehearse, in addition to the slot provided for us by the concert officials, because of how many mistakes we had made during our practices the day before. We spent all day with them drilling us on our dancing and technique. It was certainly tiring and we all got sore from all the practicing.

He also booked a vocal coach for us one of the afternoons primarily since poor Dongho's voice was changing causing it to crack up a storm and vocal training usually helped him. After a while it got a little annoying singing scale after scale and arpeggio after arpeggio when my voice was fine. Singing at least was easy for me and I enjoyed it because it didn't require near as much concentration as dancing did.

Another afternoon our manager and stylist took us to a local seamstress to have our concert "costumes" fitted and tweaked as necessary. Xander, Soohyun, and Kibum were lucky they didn't need very long to be fitted since they all were done growing. Dongho, Eli, and I on the other hand took a lot longer just because we had either grown or gained some muscles, since the original costume fitting a few weeks ago. We didn't get to do more sight seeing after that day, If you couldn't tell already, because it was late and we were hungry when we got back to our hotel rooms in the evening.

I sat in a chair as our stylist did my hair and makeup thinking to myself 'This is the first Christmas I'll be away from my family. It's probably Dongho and a couple of the others' too.' I sighed and turned my head to look around. "Kevin hajima!" said our stylist "You're almost as wiggly today as a box full of puppies." "Mianhae" I said a little embarrassed.

"It's okay! I was almost done anyways." she said turning my head back and forth ensuring everything was as it should be. She applied one more swipe of blush to my cheeks before declaring "There! You're all set." she said smiling. "Gomeowo" I said getting up and straightening my white suit coat.

Soon afterwards the event staff came to get us when we were getting close to our performance time. We followed them down the narrow hallways to the wings of the stage. The event staff directed us to our places as we watched 4minute's performance. They sang their songs Hot Issue and Muzik, while dancing ily dressed in black sequined costumes accented with silver buttons, chains, and buckles. The background flashed with various shades of blue arranged in neat geometric patterns. 

The show host greeted and talked with the girls before they announced our names. Upon that we entered the stage and took our places -Xander, Eli, Myself, and Kibum made up the back row, and Soohyun, Donho, and Kiseop made up the front row.  Stepping out on the stage I put every thought and conern oout of my head -not that I wasn't nervous performing in such a big concert- and got into my zone. I stared at all the waving glowsticks and smiled thinking 'Tonight we'll give them the performance they've been waiting for. Let's do this!'

We opened with our song Man Man Ha Ni singing the intro and starting off our dance without a hitch. I danced along focusing on the beats waiting for the right moment to step forward into singing one of my solo part. Then stepping aside Soohyun and Kibum's parts came next, followed by Eli's rapping, and then a whole mish mosh of solos and group blends to finish of the song. Then we quickly transitioned into our places to sing Talk to Me for the end of our set and I hit all my solo sections better than I had been all week.

The crowd was screaming when we finished and the hosts seemed to have really enjoyed our enthusiastic performance. Backstage the guys clapped me on the back. "You really pulled it together Kevin!" said Soohyun and the guys nodded in agreement. "We were kind of worried how you'd do tonight, and I won the bet that you would pull it together. Yah!" exclaimed Kibum smiling as Xander punched him in the arm. "You seriously bet?" I asked raising my eyebrows. "Of course not!" said Xander "It was joke -honest!"

"Sure, Xander" I said sarcastically as I rolled my eyes and threw a hand towel at him "thanks for all the faith you had in me." Then I proceeded to chase him  trying to splash him with a water bottle and he ran away laughing. He was faster than me so he made it back to the dressing room. When I ran in I didnt see him anywhere, and puzzled I stood there looking around. That's when I felt something cold and wet pouring over my head. "YAH! Xander!" I yelled whirling around to try and grab him, but he had already dart back out the door.

I chased after him again and he'd run back to the other guys and was hiding at the back of our group. I took the cap off my bottle tried flinging water at him, but he ducked and I hit Eli instead. 'Uh, oh!' I thought as I started to book it back to our dressing room. We ended up having a water fight there. Our manager wasn't to pleased with the we sloppy mess when he came in to stop our fun and made us clean it all up before apologizing to the event staff for misbehaving. 'This was the most fun I've had in quite a while' I thought to myself as I sopped up our mess, and by the looks on the other guys' faces they agreed with me.

We then changed out of our costumes and dried off our hair before we headed out to our van to head back to the hotel. 

Hana's POV Christmas Eve

I sat at my dressing table getting ready for Mom and dad's annual Christmas party in the dress my mom had bought for me earlier in the week. It had sequined bodice in a medium green that went over one shoulder, a thick strap of dark green tulle went over the other, and a sash of a light green satin encircled my waist just below it. The skirt portion was made of matching satin and was decorated with spatters of sequins in the same color. Dark green tulle that matched the shoulder strap peeked out at the bottom of the skirt. 

I heard someone knock on my door as I was putting on my mascara. "Come in!" I yelled and I saw matt come in through my door in my mirror. "Wow, you look Amazing!" said matt eyeing me head to toe as I turned around closing my mascara. "Thanks, You too!" I said as I surveyed his appearance noting his well fitted burgandy dress shirt, black pants, and spiked hair. "The guests should be here soon, so we better head downstairs or your mom will be mad." he aknowledged after giving me a quick kiss on the lips and brushing my face admiringly with his hand.

He was going to go in for another kiss, but I jerked away just before he made contact when I heard the doorbell ring. "We better go down now, or we'll really be in trouble." 

"Yeah," he said scratching his head acting a little embarrassed. "Let's go." He took my hand and we headed downstairs. 'Having Matt around the past few days has been really wonderful. I think he's officially stolen my heart and I don't know if I could ever be this happy with anyone else.' 

Flashback

The first day Matt was here I showed him around Charlottesville. We went downtown and walked around the mall. He and I both bought a few small gifts for friends and family, so it was kind of a double duty date. After getting cold and tired from all the walking we went and grabbed some hot cocoa at a coffee shop that has the best I've ever tasted -I don't know what they do to it, but it's amazing and It's been my favorite hot cocoa for as long as I can remember. When we got home we wrapped our presents, helped mom with supper, and then stopped over at Mary's to watch a movie.

The second day we went ice skating with some of Mary and I's high school friends. Mary came and watched since she wasn't up to strenuous activity quite yet and the pain meds made her kind of tired. Matt and a bunch of people played hockey and me being the klutz that I am opted out and sat visiting with Mary.

"I'm sorry I didn't ask you what was wrong that afternoon." 

"Stop apologizing Hana, it's all right." she said with a touch of annoyance in her voice

"But I still feel bad." I said pouting.

"Well then, I guess you'll have to swear to be my slave forever." she said smiling.

"Okay, if that makes you happy. I solemly swear....."

"Hana!" She exclaimed in an exasperated tone "I was kidding."

"Oh" I said sheepishly

She giggled "You sure are dense sometimes. But can you promise me one thing?"

"Sure, What?" I replied eagerly.

"That you'll be my best friend forever no matter what." she said holding out her pinky for a pinky promise.

"I promise. You made me feel like we were 10 again." I said joining our fingers together and leaving us in a fit of giggles.

"Does it bother you when he's like that." she said breaking into serious mode as she was watching Matt talking with a girl.

"No, should it?" I said shrugging "He's just talking to her."

 "Um....Hana, He's totally flirting with her." she said.

"Oh, then I shall be back in a little bit." jealous, I got up and wrangled Matt away from the girl to go skating with me. At that time a thought was planted in my mind 'If he flirts like that with other girls when I'm around, is he doing more than that behind my back?'   

Friends, co-workers, family, and neighbors poured in carrying food, drinks, presents for our white elephant gift exchange. Jae and her fiance Robert were the first too arrive giving us hugs, before she slipped off to the kitchen to help mom. Matt and I took jackets and laid them in my dad's study. Everyone was complimenting me on my outfit or 'what a handsome boyfriend I had' and it made me want to crawl under a rock -I hated being the center of attention, but I just politely smiled and thanked them. Matt on the other hand seemed quite happy to be in the middle of things. 

People chatted and snacked as I helped bring around trays of hors d'oeuvres and Christmas sweets. One time when I went back for more cheese and sausage Jae was in there too refilling her tray. "Hey sis. Come sit for a minute, we haven't talked in ages." She proposed smiling as she set down her tray and pulled out two chairs at our breakfast buffet.

"So you survived your first semester of college. Are you doing okay?" she inquired.

"Yeah, why?" I asked.

"I just wanted to check on you after all that happened with Mary." she spoke.

"I see. How have you been?" I asked.

"Great! I love my new job and I think I've got the wedding planning under control." she replied

"Great. Are you and Robert coming over for dinner tomorrow night, or are you going to his family?" I asked.

"We'll be here, since his family is out of town visiting his brother's family until the weekend." she answered before querying "So, you finally got yourself a boyfriend. How did you guys meet?" 

"Yeah, we met at a birthday party for one of me and Mary's friends at college. Then we started watching his games and hanging out with him and his friends. After that he asked me out and I accepted since he seemed like a nice guy." I recalled. 

"I see, so kind of friendship turned to love." she stated.

"I guess you could say that. Has Robert ever flirted with other girls when you were with him?" I asked.

"No, has Matt been doing that?" she countered looking at me with a quizzical expression on her face.

I just shrugged getting up and grabbing my tray off the counter "We should get back to passing out the snacks before mom gets mad." 

I walked back into the party and found Matt standing to the side looking around like he was lost as he watched the kids playing pin the nose on Rudolph. His eyes lit up when he saw me. "Where'd you go?" he asked.

"To get more cheese," I answered lifting my tray in response "and to visit with my sister for a couple minutes."

"Ah, come with me." He ordered with a smile on his face and guiding me along by my arm with his hand. 

"But I need to serve the cheese....." I protested.

"Shh," he shushed me holding a finger to my lips and smirked  "they won't miss you for a a few minutes." At first I was confused why he was taking me to the back hallway, and then it hit me -The mistletoe mom had hung earlier. He stopped me underneath it and I cocked my head at him. He moved in for the kiss, and was about to make contact when I heard Mary's voice "Hana, Where are you.....Oh, sorry!" she exclaimed as she caught sight of us and started to back up to go away. Matt took that opportunity to give me a quick peck on the lips.

Blushing from embarrassment of getting caught kissing by my best friend, I rushed backed leaving Matt standing in the hallway. She was leaning against the wall by the kitchen door waiting for me to come by. "So, someone's been up to no good." She smirked at my embarrassment. "It was only a kiss!" I defended. "Sure," she said rolling her eyes "kissing leads to touching, touching leads to you know what, and you know what means you won't be a good girl any more."

I stuck out my tongue at her and playfully tried kicking her with with my shoe. "Hey! You can't kick an injured person." she asserted. "What-ev-er," I sassily replied "Pulling the injured card to get out of your punishment huh?" "Who says I can't?" she retorted. "You're lucky I have a cheese tray in my hands or you'd be in real trouble -be prepared to pay for this later." I replied saucily before flouncing off with my shoulders wriggling with barely contained laughter.

Everyone was playing charades and a few other party classic party games when I came back with the cheese tray. Later, after I was relieved of my duties by announcing the food was going to be available self-serve in the dining room from that point on. We all sang Christmas carols, did karaoke, and had a dance party. In all it was a whirlwind of a night acting as the hostess' assistant.

Before I knew it the guests were trickling off to their homes and it was close to midnight. Mary's brother took her and their younger siblings home, so Mr. and Mrs. Davis could help clean up. I got stuck with washing dishes, but it was kind of fun since Matt was helping -sort of! He kept putting bubbles on my nose and hair, and I bubbled him right back. My sister eventually kicked us out of the sink, since it was taking us forever to wash the dishes and made us dry and stack them instead. 

After the cleanup was done Robert and Jae left for their apartments, Mr. and Mrs. Davis went home, and then we all got ready for bed because it was after midnight at that point. As I came out of the bathroom after getting ready for bed in my fuzzy pj's Matt back hugged me and kissed me on the head. "Good night and Merry Christmas Hana." I untwined his arms around me, turned, and standing on my tip toes pecked him on the lips "Merry Christmas Matt. Good night!" I said as I waved at him before going into my room and closing the door.

Even though I was tired I quick texted Kevin 'Merry Christmas Kevin! <3 Hana'

As I crawled into bed my phone buzzed 'Merry Christmas to you too! Shouldn't you be sleeping?? <3 Kevin'

I replied 'Yep! I'm going to bed now. Hope you're having a nice Christmas. <3 Hana'

About a minute later my phone buzzed again 'I am! Good Night and Sweet Dreams. I'll text you later. ^_^ -Kevin'

"OK and Thanks! <3 Hana' I replied for the last time before setting my phone on my night stand and then drifting off into dreamland.

Chapter glossary:

Hajima 하지마 -stop it, don't, don't do it (the root of the word hada means to do and jima is a negative ending that means don't)

Mianhae  미언해- sorry

*Mianhae for taking so long to update! I've had terrible writers block lately and didn't feel like working on this for a while. I hope you enjoyed it and are well! -AA