Chapter 29- Surprise in the Mail

Letters to U-kiss

Kevin’s POV

I had been zoning out trying to focus for the concert we had. After emailing with Hana I just couldn’t keep her out of my mind. I just felt uneasy about something, but I’m not sure what and why was I thinking about Hana if Norae was my unofficial “girlfriend”. ‘Maybe God’s just telling me to pray for her right now –God be with Hana today and give her strength to get through whatever she is going through. Help me & the guys do our best in our performance and give me energy to make it through this concert not feeling the best. Amen.

“Yah Kevin! Snap out of dream land. It’s time to head on stage!” said Soohyun in a mock serious manner.

“Ne, Soohyun. I’m coming.” I said in my extra husky voice due to my cold.

“You don’t sound so good Kevin are you gwenchana to perform?” He asked.

“Ne, gwenchana, but I’ll probably crash afterwards.” I said laughing a bit which turned into a little coughing fit.

“Arraso, but if you’re really not doing well let me know. I’ll figure out something so you can rest if you need to.” He sternly ordered me with a concerned look on his face

“Gomowo Soohyun, Gaja?” I asked.

“Gaja! Let’s go make some girls’ hearts flutter!” he said

I couldn’t help laughing at Soohyun’s player side, which made me have another coughing fit as we headed to the stage with the other guys.

Hana’s POV- February 15th

After class I checked the mail at the school and I found a package from Kevin waiting for me. I skipped like a five year old the whole way back to my dorm, except for across icy patches of course, and besides running is a lot less fun. There was a light snow falling tickling my face and resting on my eyelashes.

Back in the dorm Mary was back from class. “Hey Hana! You seem happy.” She said smiling.

“I am! I got a package from Kevin today.” I beamed. “Want to see what he sent?”

“Sure, I could use a little study break anyways.”

I brought the package over to her bed with a scissors so we could look through it together. Slitting the tape with the scissors, I pulled open the flaps of the box. Everything was wrapped carefully in paper. The letter sat on top in an envelope. “I’m going to read this first quick okay?” I asked Mary.

“Okay, let me know when you’re done. I’ll keep reading my book –I have an exam on it tomorrow.” She frowned wrinkling her nose.

February 5th, 2010

Dear Hana,

I hope you like the little surprise I’ve sent you, but I won’t tell you what every package is so I won’t ruin the surprise.

One item is a candy I really liked when I tried it so I hope you like it too. All the fruit flavored candies here taste so real compared to American ones, so I think you’ll find that refreshing. 

I also sent you a couple of popular Korean snacks that I thought were interesting -they're definitely a lot different from American snacks and are kind of fishy. ;)

It's been super busy lately with promotions and things for the new album, but I thought I'd write a quick little note for you. Hope you've been well & may God be with you!

Love your friend,

~Kevin

P.S. -All the guys say Hi!. They keep teasing me that you're my "girlfriend", but I've got a girl that like &  I think I'm going to ask her on a date alone next time. Last time she came over for Kiseop's birthday party and we had a frosting fight, so it would be fun to have a more normal date. I'm a bit worried how things will go with me being a celebrity though.

"All done!" I said in the cheeriest voice I could muster because inside I felt a little hurt that Kevin had found a girl he liked and was going to ask her out. 'Why do I feel like this though? I've got a boyfriend and we're happily dating. I mean yesterday, for valentines day, he took me on the sweetest little date.'

"Are you okay? You don't sound okay." said mary looking up from her book.

"I'm fine." I answered with a sigh.

"No you're not fine. You're acting mopey." she said.

"Fine, I guess I'm a little bothered that Kevin's found a girl he likes & is going to ask her out." I forced myself to spit out.

"Ah, I see. You must be a little jealous."

"I'm not jealous!" I spat out "Why should I be jealous when I've got a boyfriend myself?!"

"You are, but it's normal to be jealous of friends in relationships. I'm jealous that you and Matt are doing so well nowdays." she said with a sigh.

"I'm sorry. I don't want you to be jealous of me Mary." I said with tears starting to form in my eyes and hugging my knees to my chest.

"Stop it you cry baby!!" She joked "Jealousy is part of life. Now let's open your goodies."

"But Mary, In the bible it says we shouldn't covet what others have and that's why I'm feeling so conflicted. Maybe I'm coveting a place in Kevin's heart that I shouldn't." I sniffled with my chin

"Does the bible say you won't struggle with jealousy or never be jealous?" said Mary.

"No.....I don't think so?" I said.

"If we didn't struggle with it God wouldn't have put it in the ten commandments." she said with such wisdom it almost floored me. "why don't you pray about it then you braniac. That's what you always tell me when I'm having issues." 

"I will Mary, I will. Have you been reading the bible lately?" I asked as my mouth probably was hanging open about a mile.

 

"A little bit, but I really just happened to remember the 10 commandments. I don't know where exactly that came from though out of the blue?" she said shrugging her shoulders with a thoughtful expression on her face.  

"I think God's been working on your heart Mary and thanks you. Now, let's open up the goodies!" I said smiling and pulling the box onto my lap. I handed her a package to open and took one in my hands too. We counted down together "Three, two, one, open!" shredding the carefully wrapped paper around the parcels.

"What's in the one you have? Mine looks like some kind of fishy cracker things" she asked.

"Mine's some kind of grape candy. Should we try them?" I asked.

"Sure! Should we try the fishy things first? That way we can kill the flavor with the candy if it's yucky."

"Okay." We each took a crispy that was shaped like a little shrimp. I bit into mine and the texture reminded me of cheese puffs, but tasted like fish and neither of us really like fish. I looked at Mary and she wore the same kind of expression on her face. We both broke out laughing at our concurrent feeling about the shrimp crisps.

"I think Kris would like these. He loves fish." said Mary and I nodded in agreement. I watched her face and she didn't seem to be upset about mentioning his name so casually which shocked me a bit honestly.

"Do you want me to give them to him? I see him in the caffeteria at breakfast most of the time." I asked.

"Sure, now let's try those Grape Candies." she said.

I opened the bag and handed her a candy. We popped the little green orbs into our mouths. "Mmmmm!" I said savoring the sweet flavor "These taste a lot like real grapes."

Mary nodded, "I really like these! What does the writing on the package say?"

"Chong-Po-Do I think? Must mean grapes or something."

"Ah okay. Want to open the rest of the package?" she asked.

"Of course."  I said. The next package she opened had a blue polka dot fabric hair srunchi with little bunny ears.

"Awww that's cute. It suits you" she said turning my head and pulling back my hair.

"It does! Kevin sure knows how to pick presents." I said grinning as I opened my package, and my jaw about dropped when I saw it. Kevin had sent me their new album, Only One, autographed by all the guys. 

"Wow, he's like the king of presents. That is so cool and unique Hana. You're so lucky!" she said looking through the signed album with little messages from all the guys stuck in there.

'Study Hard Beautiful! Love, Love, Love <3 Soohyun'

'Hana, Hwaiting with your school! Kiseop'

'Kevin talks about you all the time & best wishes in your studies -Eli'

'God be with you in your studies & don't fry your brains like an egg. -Alexander'

'Best wishes in everything! Kibum'

'Roses are red, violets are blue, study hard while we work hard too! ^_^ Dongho'

'Hope this makes your day! Wishing you all the best at school & I'll be praying for you. Love always <3 ~Kevin'

I couldn't help smiling like an idiot looking at Kevin's message next to his picture. I traced the heart and his signature with my finger thinking to myself 'I hope you're doing well & you got your date with the girl. I guess I'm jealous because I want the best for you and I want you to be happy.'

Mary's POV

'She's totally in love with him, but doesn't even know it. As much as it's cool she's dating Matt, I'm not sure if I can see them together.' I thought watching her admire Kevin's message to her in the album.

"Mary want to listen to the CD with me?" she asked with her begging face.

"Sure you can put it on for background music, but I'm not sure how much I'll pay attention while I'm studying."

"Okay! I won't play it too loud then. Besides I have to study too." she said grinning while popping the CD into her laptop.

 

Chapter Glossary:

Gwenchana.괜찮아- Okay, fine, All right.

Arraso- 알았어 I understand, Agreed, Okay, Fine -depends on Context and such.

*Hello, Hello my lovelies! I had a day off here and decided to write a chapter for my story. I hope you like it! I was planning on doing more letters and stuff in this one, but I thought it was cuter with some other dialogue and just general life cuteness. I've been taking a break from AFF to not tempt myself to read things I shouldn't and I've been going through a lot personally lately -I've had to narrow down my diet to be even more limited which has consumed most of my time and energy as of late, work has been super busy so I've had to stay at least an hour late every day I've been scheduled the past few weeks, and my skin has decided to rebel once again to the worst it's ever been causing me a lot of frustration and pain. I don't know what God is trying to get across with all of this, but I'm trusting I'll find out sooner rather than later and that it's for my best. Thanks for reading & I appreciate all the encouraging comments <3 ~AA