Chapter 5

Your Choice

 

“Hyung…hyung, wake up.”

            Sunggyu glared at Dongwoo. “Idiot, I’M AWAKE.”

            Dongwoo froze, knowing that he messed up again. It wasn’t his fault that Sunggyu’s eyes were so small you can’t differentiate between awake and asleep!

            “Let’s just go,” Sunggyu muttered, standing up. He kicked his chair in and grabbed his things. Class had been done for a little over two minutes, but Sunggyu was still pondering as to why Woohyun came back. So what if he didn’t like his teacher? Teachers couldn’t be too bad. Sure, Sunggyu hated school, but he knew that his teachers just wanted the best for him.

            , why couldn’t Woohyun just have stayed home? Sunggyu never wanted to see his face again. Ever.

            “Y – yes, hyung,” Dongwoo said obediently, shuddering. He hated it when Sunggyu was mad – which was, ironically, most of the time. The only person that was used to it and could manage it well effectively was Sungyeol.

            “Darn bastard, was is he even ing here?” Sunggyu murmured, taking a few steps ahead of Dongwoo.

            This isn’t too good, Dongwoo reckoned. He knew that it had something to do with the new Woohyun dude. Who else new was here? Nobody.

            When they reached outside, Dongwoo felt a little overjoyed at the sight of Hoya, walking across the hall from them.

            “HOYAAAAAAAA!” Dongwoo blurted out loudly. His eyes widened – crap. He wasn’t supposed to say that out loud!

            Hoya, grinning, walked over to them. “Hey, hyung. What’s up? And…uh…what’s wrong with Sunggyu?”

            Dongwoo turned his head, looking at the angered Sunggyu. His eyes were narrowed…uh…closed? Or opened? Dongwoo couldn’t tell. He did happen to feel the anger just floating out of Sunggyu, though, never ending.

            “Uh, he’s just mad.”

            Hoya nodded knowingly, then looked back at Dongwoo expectedly. What? Oh, right. He was still curious as to why Dongwoo had shouted his name so that half of this school could hear him.

            “Oh, um…well…oh! I was wondering where Sungyeol was. Since, you know, he’s the only person that can handle Sunggyu right now…and I’m kinda tired of hyung scaring me…”

            “Oh! Well he’s still in class with the new kid.”

            From his left, Dongwoo felt Sunggyu straighten up. “…New kid?”

            “Uh huh.” Hoya nodded, pointing to his classroom behind. “L. He ended up sitting next to Sungyeol because I had to sit up front in Jaeseop’s old seat. Why? Is something wrong?”

            “Um, nothing,” Dongwoo muttered, quickly running after Sunggyu, who was charging towards the junior classroom.

 

“What do you mean you don’t get it?”

            “How the is it x^3 + x^2 + 4x to 3x^2 + 2x + 4? That’s NOT NORMAL.”

            “Oh my God, how much stupider could you get?! It –“

            Sungyeol groaned, kicking his chair. “This is so lame! How the do you even know this?”

            “It’s simple…” L mumbled, looking away.       

            “NO IT’S NOT. THIS IS THE ING EXTRA CREDIT SECTION. WE’RE SUPPOSED TO DO THIS IN, LIKE, FIVE MONTHS!”

            “Then why’d you ask me to help you do it?!”

            Sighing, Sungyeol replied, “Because I need extra credit! I don’t want to fail, do I? And you seemed to know everything. Tell me again, how do you know everything?!”

            L shook his head, trying to forget. He’d learned these basic skills when he was, probably, twelve or thirteen. He didn’t know how easy normal school could be, how lower the standards were, with that horrid . He felt a sting on his left leg – ah. The scar he got for not remembering what this whole math process was called. Before he became fourteen, he used to remember exactly what every single scar was for, what he had done wrong. But then he had gotten so sick of it. He didn’t give a damn about education anymore, and so he slacked. A lot. His parents and Woohyun were trying to figure out why – he didn’t even know himself why. But surrounding those two years of his life, he had gotten too many scars, bruises, and cuts to keep track of anymore.

            “L? You okay?”

            Snapping back to reality, L looked at Sungyeol’s worried face. He blinked, confused. Sungyeol looked worried. About him. Never before had anybody genuinely showed that they actually cared about L’s feelings before. No, Mother and Father were too busy with their business to even ask him how his day was. Sure, they cared, but they never showed it. Woohyun…well, Woohyun mainly just locked himself in his room and never talked more than he had to. Sometimes, L could even hear him crying.

            But here Sungyeol was, nearly a pure stranger to him, and actually caring. Or was he always like this?

            “L?”

            Sungyeol laid a hand on his shoulder, looking at him carefully. Sungyeol recognized the look on L’s face – pure hatred and a bit of fright. He knew this expression…it was the face he always had when he realized that his dorm room ran out of coffee.

            “YOU MOTHER ING BASTARD. WHAT THE ARE YOU DOING HERE?”

            Sunggyu grabbed L from Sungyeol’s grasp, holding him close to his face by the collar. Any face expression that L had disappeared – now he was completely straight-faced.

            “What do you want?” L asked coldly, hands in his pockets. He already knew what was going on. And he knew that Woohyun probably told Sunggyu that the only reason they had quit being homeschooled and actually went to school was because of him.

            Seeing L’s poker face got Sunggyu even more mad. He raised his fist and was right about to punch him…until Sungyeol stopped hm.

            “Hyung! What the are you doing?!” Sungyeol demanded, grabbing Sunggyu’s fist and throwing it down. “What’s going on?”

            Sunggyu looked at Sungyeol, knowing that he couldn’t cause a scene in front of the innocent boy. Okay, so Sungyeol wasn’t that innocent. But he could act so innocent, even saying ‘Shut up” made you feel guilty. But yeah, like Sungyeol didn’t cuss heavily already.

            Growling, Sunggyu let go of his grip on L’s collar by tossing him into a bookshelf. L cringed, feeling his newly made bruises start bleeding. But he didn’t make a noise. This pain was nothing compared to what he’d been through before.

            With one disgusted look, Sunggyu kicked a desk and walked out, a wide-eyed, shocked Dongwoo following him.

            Sungyeol, knowing that Sunggyu already had Dongwoo to calm him down (although Dongwoo wasn’t much of a help about it), he ran over to L to make sure that he wasn’t hurt too badly.

            “Yah! You okay?” He leaned down to make sure that none of L’s bones were broken.

            “I’m fine,” L growled, lifting himself up. He was dizzy for a second, but disregarded that thought. He was always dizzy.

            “Yah! L, let’s go. Sorry I’m la –“

            L and Sungyeol lifted their heads to find Woohyun walking into the classroom. Realizing the situation with the fallen L, broken bookshelf, and tumbled books, Woohyun ran over to his younger brother hand helped him up.

            “L! What happened here?”

            Glaring at him, L whispered in a way that only Woohyun could hear him. “You ing ex-boyfriend happened.”

YAY. Fifth chapter up. Going to upload until ch. 8 for today [8-3-12] if you were wondering.