Chapter 44

Your Choice

 

Hi :D well. IT'S SUNGYEOL FREAKING BIRTHDAYYYY! (right now in Korea [where I am, it's 10:02 PM, August 26, 2012] it's 3:02 PM, August 27, 2012) :DD I will rant more about this on the bottom A/N if you guys want to read it. IF.  well this was later than I expected...I was at my cousin's bday partayy~~ in my mind, though, I was like HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SUNGYEOLLLL. Gah. I'm also pissed because I went to the freaking park (where bday was held) wearing long black jeans and a black jacket (I like black.) while my sister wore shorts and a tank top. AND WHO ING GOT SICK?! I DID. I CAN'T STOP SNEEZING AND BLOWING MY NOSE and if I don't update soon, you guys know why. I'm dying in bed. XDD well~~ here we go. 

Sungyeol stared at the doctor in front of him. What…what was he saying?

            “We can take Kim Myungsoo off the drugs,” the doctor repeated. “He may or may not wake up today, and he will go through much pain when he does. Fei has told me that her brother would like to be awake today, but he might not even wake up.”

            “And?”

            “I am asking for your consultant. When Kim Myungsoo does wake up, which could be tomorrow, he will still go through pain.”

            So this was it. Either take the chance for Myungsoo to wake up today, his 17th birthday, or wake up tomorrow, losing his only chance to say ‘Happy Birthday’, yet he still had to endure the pain.

            “I…I don’t know,” Sungyeol managed to make out.

            “I’m sorry, but you need to make the decision –“

            “YES.”

            Sungyeol turned around to find Fei standing behind him.

            “Sungyeol doesn’t know what he’s saying,” she said, walking to the two of them. “YES. PLEASE. Do whatever you can to make sure that my brother will wake up today, even if it is a 0.1% chance.”

            “What? But –“

            “Please,” Fei begged, turning to Sungyeol. “L will understand.”

            He took one glance at her sincere eyes, then hesitantly nodded.     

            The doctor gave them a bitter smile, almost feeling bad. But what could he do? He’d already warned them.

 

Everybody was gathered around L’s bed. Sunggyu had come, helping Woohyun keep his stance. Jia and Min had come, despite Min’s fear of Sunggyu. Hoya and Dongwoo were at the side of L, watching nervously. Sungjong and Suzy had temporarily left Hwayoung’s side for this one moment. Fei was standing at the edge of her brother’s bed, Sungyeol’s hand tightly holding hers.

            The doctor, along with two nurses, began to dismember the machine on the left of L. Oh, no, not the heart rate machine, much to Sungyeol’s hope. The machine that artificially fed the unconscious teenager.

            When the machine had stopped beating, the group of friends surrounding the bed could see the white liquid stop flowing through the tube. A nurse held the end of the tube that had been disconnected, having the remaining liquid pouring into a bowl.

            Sungyeol shivered at the sight – that was what had been both destroying and helping his boyfriend for 13 days.

            Sighing, the doctors turned back to another nurse, who handed him another clean tube that was connected to a different machine. He gulped a bit before looking back at L, then at the hole in his arm that the old tube was sticking in.

            He pulled the tube that was layered in liquid out of L, and a nurse quickly wiped the blood and remaining white substance that began to seep out from the hole in his body.  Just as fast, she stepped away and the doctor stabbed the second tube into the same hole. With a nod from him, the second nurse the working machine.

            The ten teenagers watched as a different colored liquid began to enter L’s body. The boy jerked a bit, but then regained his unwavering stance.

            “That’s it,” the doctor announced, pulling off his gloves and face mask. “It will take a few hours for the drugs to leave Kim Myungsoo’s body and for him to regain control over his body. Like I said before, though…he might not even wake up today.”

            Sunggyu, Woohyun, Jia, Min, Hoya, Dongwoo, Sungjong, and Suzy all glanced nervously at Sungyeol. None of them had dared say ‘Happy Birthday’ to him, to give him a card, to buy a cake, anything. They couldn’t hurt the boy anymore than he already was.

            Fei just sighed, looking at her brother. Her hand tightened around Sungyeol’s stiff ones, pulling him onto the other side of L’s bed as the doctor and nurses pulled the inactive machine out of the room.

            “It’s only 11 AM right now,” Fei said quietly, not looking at Sungyeol. “He could wake up anytime.”

            Sungyeol only nodded, blinking away any tears that he had.

            “Do you need anything?” Sungjong carefully asked. He stood up, pulling Suzy off of his lap. “I can go get you whatever –“

            “It’s okay,” Sungyeol said, shaking his head. “You…you can go back to Hwayoung now.”

            “Hyung, you know that I want to be here with you right now,” Sungjong told him. “I want to help. Anything, hyung. You know that I’m here for you.”

            “A coffee would be nice.”

            Sungjong smiled, genuinely happy. He nodded, taking Suzy’s hand in his, and walked out the door.

            With her free hand, Fei pushed Sungyeol’s shoulder for him to sit down on the chair. He stumbled a bit, but obliged. She knew that he was nervous – his hand was sweating like crazy. Well, hers was too, so it was indifferent.

            “Be careful, Woohyun,” Sunggyu whispered to his boyfriend. “Don’t stress yourself out too much…your head is still in danger.”

            Woohyun nodded, his eyes still locked on his brother. Why…out of all people…did this have to happen to his little brother? Why couldn’t L lead a normal life?! Just…why?

            “You probably should go back now.”

            “Huh?” Woohyun shifted his gaze a little to look at a teary Sungyeol.

            “Your hospital room…I don’t think it’s good for you to stay up for too long,” Sungyeol repeated, his voice shaking a bit.

            Woohyun wasn’t sure whether to smile or to cry. Sungyeol, despite whatever was happening to him, would always worry about the people around him. L was lucky, really, really lucky to come upon somebody like this. Maybe everything that had happened to him would all equal up to having Sungyeol by his side.

            Feeling the bandage wrapped around his head, Woohyun nodded. He took the initiative to open the door and try to walk out, but he was still quivering.

            “Go with him, hyung.”

            Looking up, he saw Sungyeol nodding at a conflicted Sunggyu. Gratefully, Sunggyu nodded and helped Woohyun out the door to his room.    

            “We’ll stay here with you,” Hoya said, smiling. Dongwoo nodded in agreement, and Sungyeol looked at them in gratitude.

            “Min and I are going to buy food for everybody,” Jia declared. Sungyeol turned his head to them and smiled, tears coming out of his eyes a bit easier now.

            With a quick kiss on the cheek from Min, the two sisters left the room.

            Just as the door was about to close, it opened again, revealing Sungjong holding a cup of coffee in his hands. He led Suzy inside and then shut the door.

            “Here, hyung.” Sungjong handed the cup to Sungyeol, who just stared at him. Fei sighed and took the coffee, letting go of Sungyeol’s hand to allow him to drink it.

            “Thanks,” Sungyeol muttered feebly. Fei took the half-empty cup from his hands and laid it on the table.

            “It’s nothing,” Suzy smiled. “Umma always said that you liked Americano, so that was what I got you!”

            Hoya, Dongwoo, Sungyeol, and Fei all looked at Suzy, suppressing the urge to cry when Suzy had called Hwayoung ‘Umma’. Nobody had a problem with this – after all, her real Umma was the one that had put L in this state.

            Sungjong looked at the tear-struck faces on his noona and hyungs’ and decided that it was time to leave. He bent down to look at Suzy and said, “Let’s go visit Umma now, okay? You can check up on your Oppa later.”

            Suzy nodded, smiling again. She didn’t understand. She didn’t know what was happening to her older brother, nor to her ‘mom’.

            “Happy birthday, Oppa,” she whispered as Sungjong pulled her out of the room. Thankfully, nobody had heard a thing she said.

 

“I’m so tired…”

            Sungyeol looked up at Fei’s face, noticing her dark eye-bags for the first time. “Yah…you should go to sleep. Have you been pulling all-nighters again?”

            Fei gave him a weak smile and nodded. She shut her eyes for a second, thankful for the second of peaceful darkness.

            “Come here.”

            Opening up her eyes, she saw Hoya motioning to her. Dongwoo was sitting next to him, his eyes shut close and his head on Hoya’s shoulder.

            When she didn’t budge, Sungyeol slightly pushed her towards Hoya. She sighed, then walked over to him.

            Hoya laid her down, pulling her head onto his lap. “Sleep,” he directed her. Almost immediately, her eyes shut close.

            He looked up, catching Sungyeol’s eye. The two of them smiled, happy that Fei could calm down. Ever since what happened with L, Fei had been their little sister. Who cares if they only knew her for a few days, or a few months. She was their precious sister that they had to care for, no matter what happened.

            Beside Hoya, Dongwoo stirred awake. His eyes were slits, but he noticed Fei sleeping on his boyfriend’s lap and managed to crack a smile. “You got her to finally go to sleep?”

            Hoya nodded, obviously proud of himself, even if he didn’t really do anything at all. Dongwoo ruffled his hair, then looked back at Sungyeol and L. “…He still hasn’t waken up yet?”

            Sungyeol just silently shook his head. It was 5 PM already. He didn’t know how much more of this he could take.

            “He’s been making progress, though,” Hoya said. “You know…”

            He faltered, looking at Sungyeol. He actually wasn’t sure if it was really considered ‘progress’. Once in a while, L would jerk a little and an actual emotion would overcome his face – but it was a painful one. Sungyeol knew this, too. L had was beginning to feel his injury.

            “The sleeping pills haven’t been completely discarded yet, either,” Sungyeol muttered. He was looking at the machine that was in charge of taking waste out of his boyfriend’s body, and there were still slight traces of white every few seconds.

            “He will wake up. He has to.”

            Sungyeol just nodded, but he didn’t know if he himself believed it. In his hand laid a lifeless, cold one. Every minute, it was starting to regain its warmth. But no matter what he thought, it was still lifeless.

            Why can’t you just wake up now, Myungie? He thought before the tears began to slide down his cheeks. I know I was being horrible…I know I don’t deserve you waking up now…but I’m begging you. Please…open those eyelids so that I can see your beautiful eyes again…

 

Sungyeol was a mess. An emotional, physical, complete mess. His hair was splattered everywhere, his eyes red, his face wet from tears alone. But that was nothing compared to the mess in his heart.

            Hoya felt his insides tighten as he looked up at the clock.

            11:50 PM.

And L wasn’t moving. He made no signs of waking up soon, either.

            A miracle, he begged. That’s what we need. A ing miracle.

            He looked up at Dongwoo who, like Sungyeol, hadn’t bothered to care about his appearance. He was bawling in his hands, his heart hurting just as much as Hoya and Sungyeol’s. For the first time, Hoya was actually happy that Fei wasn’t awake to witness this.

            Dongwoo stood up from his seat and walked over to Fei, bending down to look at her. “Please stay asleep…don’t wake up…”

            So he was thinking the same thing as Hoya was.

            Fei’s breathing pace stayed the same, Hoya gladly observed. Maybe this would make up for the lost hours of sleep from the past few days. They wouldn’t let her wake up now, even if it was the last thing that they did. Nobody wanted to see Fei break. She was the strongest one out of all of them, but they all knew that she would be broken watching this happen.

            “Why can’t you wake up?” Sungyeol cried, falling to his knees. He couldn’t take it anymore. He just couldn’t.

            11:53 PM.

            “We should go,” Hoya whispered to Dongwoo, who nodded in agreement. Dongwoo stood up to pick up Fei bridal-style, and the three of them went out to give the two lovers some time alone.

            Sungyeol wasn’t phased by their disappearance. In fact, he didn’t even notice. He didn’t notice anything…all his concentration was on Myungsoo.

            11:54 PM.

            “I need you, Myungsoo. I’m 17 now, did you know? I…finally…turned 17…” Sungyeol’s voice trailed off as he began to Myungsoo’s hand with his free one. “I’m a year older. I was 16 when we met. Now I’m 17.”

            11:55 PM.

            “It was my fault, I know,” he whispered. “I was an idiot. I shouldn’t have left you there with Gyuri. I shouldn’t have done that…I was so stupid. I don’t know what I was thinking, actually listening to you.”

            11:56 PM.

            “Why didn’t you tell anybody?!” Sungyeol nearly shouted. His eyes were blinded by tears now, he couldn’t see a thing in front of him. “Why?! Why the did you keep all that bottled up inside of you?! I was here. You should’ve told me.”

            11:57 PM.

            “You know how much I love you, Myungsoo. Who cared if the ing killed me? At least…maybe…I could’ve died with you. I know, it sounds ing stupid! But I can’t stand it anymore. I would die with you, I would much rather do that than have to watch you die alone, by yourself.”

            11:58 PM.

            “I sound like such an obsessive boyfriend,” Sungyeol said, though he didn’t smile. “But it’s true…it’s so true…we’ve only been dating for a few months…but with you…I feel like I’ve known you for forever…I love you so much. So ing much, you wouldn’t believe it. Please wake up…I need you here…it’s my birthday…God, I’m such a selfish …”

            11:59 PM.

            “But please…Myungsoo…please…” Sungyeol’s vision was gone. Everything before him was wavy, everything blurry and not visible.

            But he didn’t need that sense.

            His hand. He felt it.

            It was warm.

            It was moving.

            It was tightening.

            A few seconds…

            “…Sungyeol?”

            12:00 AM. 

 

Kyaa...I'm sorry, I don't really have that 'dramatic flare' to my writing...and I should freaking apologize to death about everything being medically incorrent. NO, I seriously doubt that's how they do it in hospitals...but like...heh...sorry D': and I should also apologize for the lack of OTP moments except for Myungyeol...and Hwayoung wasn't even in this chapter T.T geez...(I still haven't found my glasses, if you were wondering. I'm wearing my old ones, which aren't that good, but they're better than nothing =.=)

COMMENT REPLIES~~

@eunhyuklover99: LOLOL sleeping beauty, much? But Myungsoo is kinda like sleeping beauty XDD NOO. WHEN, LIKE, SUNGGYU OR ACTUALLY ANYBODY IN INFINITE IS MAD/GRUMPY, THEY LOOK PRETTY ADORABLE. OHHH do you live in Vietnam? Is that why you have to study it in school? LOL mines is just an outside class...BUT YOU SEE. YOU CAN STILL DO GOOD~~ choding's freaking amazing when he's mad. It's so cute :3 and dudeee yess I need to find my glasses. I NEED THEM TO SURVIVE. oh God =.= is my Viet that bad? *sigh* and I'm even worse at English. Bleah. LOOOL YES I DID XDD I'M SO SORRY. I DO THAT TO SOO MANY PEOPLE. Yes, Myungie woke up♥

@WingzOfHell: LOL idk, it just sounds like a pretty cool title :3 I updated ^^ Hwajong is a sad couple 3 and Yeollie...will always blame himself T.T

@ZO9ZO9: Sungyeol's always poetic♥ (uh...I don't know about real life, but he is in my story XD) He does wake up♥ and thank you!

@LollipopGirl01: I'M NOT ALONEEEEE. MY FAVORITE FLAVOR IS STRAWBERRY TOO♥ that's why I made it Hwayoung's ^^ XD Myungie woke up♥

@_IShipEveryCouple_: yes, it's an amazing catchphrase♥ LOOOL REALLY? I got back Sept. 9th XDD NOW YOU CAN BE HAPPY TO GO TO SCHOOL 'CAUSE IT'S JONGIE'S BDAY♥ and Myungie woke up ^^

@kodiak: heh. heh. You can't kill me now. I updated ^^

@chariiit: everything is Gyuri's fault. XDD Fei's awesome♥ LOOOOL I SHOULD'VE DONE THAT. *L wakes up* L: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! *falls back unconscious for the next few weeks* XDDDD 

@kpoplover_junebug: AWW, THANK YOU!♥ I love you so much for reading and supporting it!

@BalancedCuppyCake: ...It isn't my one month anniversary yet XDD one  month is on Sept. 5th XD and YESS YOU GOT IT! GOOD JOB. I'M PROUD. WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? I EFFING LOVE PANDAS♥ BUT...they would be pretty scary if you threw me into a cave with them O.O I'M SORRY. GOSH. AT LEAST L'S OUT OF IT. YaDong makes everything better♥ YES HE IS. BUT HE HAS A DAUGHTER...SO HE ISN'T SO FOREVER ALONE XDD lolol actually, yes, I do. :PP either they aren't so popular or nobody acknowledges them as a potential couple...but probably because I just made up Hwajong XDD

@dojorockergirl: Fei's awesome♥ Yeollie still blames himself, though 3 GOD I STILL NEED TO FIND MY GLASSES D': and I updated ^^

@B1A4Katie1: ...well...look who's not going to cry and shatter into a million pieces? XDD 

@inspirit-kay: YOU UPDATED~~!! I didn't get to read it yet since I just got back and went to updating right away....BUT I WILLL. XD L's awake ^^ Gyu and Hoya have to put up with everything ♥ I DID POST IT XDDD hehe~~ and Fei convinced him♥

@ChocoAikocream: L WOKE UP ON SUNGYEOL'S BIRTHDAY~~ and Hwajong...is still...as sad as ever 3

@asdfghjklomg: WAHH I LOVE YOU♥ LOLOL seriously, you're just awesome♥

@SaranghaeSuJuChullie: MYUNGSOO WOKE UP ^^ everybody loves YaDong~~ ;DD heh. Hwajong does need a mirical...like...now :PP kyaa I STILL need to explain that =.= and I updated ^^

@pripri: oh, because for now, Sungjong is her 'Appa' and Hwayoung is her 'Umma' :)

@kpopluv7: HAHAHA IT'S OKAY XDD omg I died during the Woogyu moments in Sesame Player♥ that's what got me to ship them. OMFG DON'T REMIND ME. MYUNGJONG. I WANTED TO KILL SOMEBODY (well, my sister more than me; she's a very avid Myungjong hater) WHEN I WATCHED THAT. I WAS LIKE EFFF YOU, EFF THE WORLD, EFF EVERYTHANGGG. I died. I'm still forever biased to Woogyu, Myungyeol, and Yadong♥ YES. MYUNGSOO WILL GO THROUGH ALL PAIN NEEDED FOR HIS YEOLLIE♥ kyaa, the sad HwaJongZy family3 YaDong will forever remain as fluff♥ NOOO DON'T GIVE ME IDEAS. or Hoya will somehow get run over by a car. ;D I'M KIDDANGG. I WILL NEVER DESTROY THE YADONG COUPLE. They're the one couple that (kind of) remained in Ranking King out of the top 3 OTP's D': hehe THIS COMMENT REPLY WAS PRETTY LONG BECAUSE I LOVE YOU TOO♥ thank you ^^

@AnoBasho: well...that's actually pretty accurate...Myungsoo woke up too late to say Happy Birthday...but YaDong was good enough♥ kyaa heartbreaking Hwajong 3 Myungyeol's slowly coming together though ^^

@NinjaDae: HAHAHAH please live again ._. I need you to read and comment. but I'm glad you go so many different feelings XDD

@Mypillow4you: ...hehe I'm actually thinking of something right now...I'm not too sure if I should do it, though, but I'm still brainstorming XDD keep up with me, here :P well, Myungsoo didn't really wake up by force...they shortened the amount of time that he would be drugged, but he still woke up on his own ^^ do you understand what I'm saying? LOL if you don't, it's okay, I can be a little confusing sometimes =.= AHAHAHAHA ANY MYUNGYEOL PICS HAVE THE NOTION TO JUST BREAK YOU DOWN INTO A SPAZZING FAN GIRL XDD♥

Oh God...I seriously feel like I'm going to die any second =.= Nhi's yelling at me saying that I got sick because I wore black in the sun~~ whatever -.- UGH CANNOT STOP COUGHING OR SNEEZING. FOREVER HATING MY LIFE HERE. But replying to your comments made me better♥ HOMYGOD THAT WAS 20 ;_; thanks guys~~♥ 

I THOUGHT I SHOULD SHARE THIS WITH YOU: I'm on twitter right now, and reading @INFINITE7SOUL 's translations of Sungyeol's part of the interview, and it says: Q: Which member of Infinite can be the boyfriend of your younger sister? why?; SY: Sungjong! They will play with each other happily instead of having qurrael. I WAS LIKE YEAH FREAKING RIGHT. IT'S BECAUSE YOU DON'T WANT SUNGJONG TO GO WITH MYUNGSOO. I KNOW YOU, SUNGYEOL. 

Now onto this, because it's my choding's birthday♥

GAHHH OMFG IT'S SUNGYEOL'S EFFING BIRTHDAY TODAY. LEE SUNGYEOL, DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH I FREAKING LOVE YOU TO DEATH?♥ you're the most amazing boy ever and I love you. I got into INFINITE because of SUFBB and L, but ever since Sesame Player, you've been my bias♥ (along with L and Sungjong XD) you're hilarious, you're amazing, and you're just perfect. YOU CAN SING. YOU CAN, YOU KNOW THAT? Whenver you have a line in any song, I always replay it 24/7 until I can hear your voice in my head. (Especially with your part in Only Tears and With...) You're beautiful and you're just the best thing ever. Seriously. I swear to God and to whoever's reading this, I'm going to support this boy in everything that he does. Every step of the way, I'm going to stay here and love him to death. No, he's not my ultimate bias. He's so close to being it, though. But he is my ideal type♥ (along with my ultimate bias...if you guys bothered to read my profile XDD) I just want somebody like Sungyeol♥ who's funny, sweet, can take a joke seriously and make his own jokes, can love everybody no matter what happens♥ everytime I read something about Sungyeol, I just spazz about what an absolutely perfect person he is. Sure, he's unconfident. But I know that with the help of true Inspirits, he'll become better♥ I don't care if he grows up and gets married to some random girl, or if he marries Myungsoo (my Myungyeol fangirl heart will die if he does♥ but you know...South Korea...and guys marrying guys...). I will support and love him wherever he is, no matter what ing happens. You, Lee Sungyeol, are truly the closest thing to perfect in my eyes. Happy birthday, my dear choding♥ And thank you, whoever bothered to read this :) ~~