Chapter 3

Your Choice

Due to the fact that I DO NOT LIVE IN KOREA, I don't know the way grades work :/. So I just went with how it is in America (where I live). Oh, Sungjong's in 10th grade, Myungsoo, Sungyeol, and Hoya are in 11th grade, and Sunggyu, Dongwoo, and Woohyun are in the 12th grade. You guys are all updated now:)

“C’mon, Sungyeol,” Sunggyu gritted through his teeth. “Let’s go back before they realize that we’re gone.”

            “But we don’t know the way back –“

            “Then we’ll explore every single way possible,” Sunggyu interrupted, grabbing onto Sungyeol’s arm and dragging him away. Sungyeol looked back at L confusingly, who just shrugged and looked at his older brother.

 

“SUNGYEOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!”

            Sungyeol turned around to find one of his friends, Dongwoo, one of his close friends, running up to him.

            “Hey, Dongwoo. What’s up?”

            “I heard,” Dongwoo paused, panting from running, “that” pause “you and Sunggyu hyung” pause “got lost…”

            Sungyeol nodded, content with the answer. “Yep. In the woods last night.”

            “How’d you guys get out?!” Dongwoo asked, holding onto Sungyeol’s shoulder for support as he kept breathing heavily.

            Shrugging, Sungyeol said, “I don’t really know either. Sunggyu hyung was really mad, so he just went every which way and we finally found the school.”

            “Wait. Wait. How’d you even get out of here without being noticed?!”

            Sungyeol smiled again, proud of himself. The school that they attended was a boarding school – Sungyeol had managed to escape from his dorm last night and meet up with Sunggyu.

            “It’s not too hard, seeing as Hoya’s a heavy sleeper.” Sungyeol grinned, thinking about his roommate, Howon. Or Hoya, which he’d rather be called. He could basically sleep through an apocalypse and die without even waking up.

            Dongwoo pouted as Sungyeol said Hoya’s name. Sungyeol noticed this – Dongwoo had liked Hoya since the 7th grade when they played ‘Spin the Bottle’ during a dorm party one day. Heteroual or homoual, Hoya had to kiss Dongwoo nonetheless. Hoya had long ago forgotten about that distant memory – who wouldn’t? Sungyeol had to kiss Jaeseop, another boy, and both of them had forgotten about it by now. Dongwoo was the only one who didn’t – from the moment Hoya’s lips touched his, it was like lightning struck. He knew he was in love.

            “Hey –“

            “No, hyung,” Sungyeol sighed. “For the last time, I am not changing dorm rooms with you. I don’t wanna be stuck with…Sungjong.

            “Someone said my name?” A high-pitched, girly voice asked.

            When nobody said anything, the voice walked over to the two of them. “Hi Sungyeol hyung! Hi Dongwoo hyung!”

            Sungyeol let out a tired smile. “Hey, Sungjong.”

            He had to admit – minus all the girly, make-up-ness of Sungjong, he was really fun to be around and liked making a lot of jokes. He was the younger than them, being only in the 10th grade. Although dorm partners were usually paired by grade, Sungjong and Dongwoo were paired because Sungjong was the odd one out of the 10th graders, and Dongwoo was the odd one out of the seniors.

            “Dongwoo.” Sungjong turned to the older of the three. “You left your clothes all over the dorm again. I almost wore your extra uniform pants instead of mines! I wouldn’t have known unless Ren stopped me when I walked out the door. Your pants were so big, they fell off and I ended up walking outside with my boxers!”

            Sungyeol coughed in a laugh as he watched Dongwoo yell at Sungjong for not checking the tag first.

            “Hey you guys,” a deep voice said. The three of them turned around to see Hoya walking up to them.

            “H-hey,” Dongwoo stammered, giving him an awkward wave. It’d been five years. Why wasn’t he over this crush yet?

            Hoya gave him a smile, then said, “Did you guys hear? Jaeseop’s going to Columbia for five months. The ivy league university. I heard it was because he took the American SAT’s and got a perfect score on the subject test and scored a really high score on the reasoning test. The guy’s smart.”

            “Whoa.” Sungyeol was surprised – he heard that school was really hard over in America. Then his fact looked confused. “Why are you telling us this? It’s not like we would care…we don’t even talk to Jaeseop anymore.”

            Giving Sungyeol a knowing smile, he said, “I thought you’d just want to know. I mean, c’mon…he was your first guy kiss, wasn’t he?”

            Sungyeol’s face burned bright red and he hit Hoya on the shoulder. Dongwoo’s mouth fell open, meanwhile. This meant that Hoya still remembered the game they played in seventh grade…maybe he remembered the kiss that he had shared with Dongwoo. Maybe Dongwoo had a chance, after all!

            Before Dongwoo had the opportunity to talk to Hoya about their kiss, Hoya smiled and said, “Well, I gotta go. Teacher says that there’s gonna be a new student in our grade and I need to help them around.”

            Waving goodbye to him, Sungyeol looked around for Sunggyu. Where was that guy?

            “Hey.”

            As if on cue, Sunggyu had walked up to them. He was yawning, his hair in a ruffled mess.

            “What happened, hyung?” Dongwoo asked, examining Sunggyu for any strange scars or bruises.

            “I’m so ing tired,” Sunggyu yawned. “We got home at, like, 3:30 AM.”

            “But Sungyeol looks fine.”

            “Yeah, because he didn’t ing stay up all night.” Sunggyu groaned, walking forward and slamming his head on the lockers. “When I got back to the dorm, Jinyoung was awake. He threatened to tell the principal that I had gone out if I didn’t help him with his essay. So…I helped him with his essay.”

            “Are you sure it wasn’t because of that Woohyun guy?” Sungyeol asked uneasily, not wanting to see Sunggyu’s reaction.

            “Shut the up, Sungyeol. Just shut up.”

 

When they bell had rang, the four teenagers had disbanded and gone to their separate classrooms. Sungyeol looked around his classroom, his eyes landing on the empty seat next to him. Where was Hoya? He should’ve been here.

            He looked up front and saw Hoya sitting in Jaeseop’s seat – the one directly in the front. What, is he already tired of sitting in the back with me?

            Hoya turned around and caught Sungyeol’s eye. He stood up, walking over to him. Sungyeol looked down and tried to act as if he wasn’t looking for him.

            “Hey.” He plopped down on the seat next to me. “What’s up?”

            “Where’s Jaeseop?” Sungyeol asked, nodding to the seat that Hoya was previously sitting at.

            “He already left. Miss Cho told me to take his seat – something about she wanted to keep the good students in front.”         

            “Ah.” Obviously, he wasn’t a good student.

            “Hey, I don’t know if this seems rude,” Hoya started, “but why is there a black Band-Aid on your face?”

            “Hmm?” Sungyeol looked up at him. Nobody else had asked him about the Band-Aid. Last night before he went to sleep his eye had gone back to normal, but he didn’t want to take the Band-Aid off for obvious reasons.

            “Oh. I cut my face.”

            “…And you decided to put a black Band-Aid on it? Sorry, Sungyeol, but that’s just not you. I figured something like pink-and-purple striped.”

            “I KNOW RIGHT.” Sungyeol turned to him, groaning. “But no, all he had was black. I mean, who doesn’t have pink-purple-striped Band-Aid’s? That’s just stupid.”

            “Who?”

            “Who what?”

            “Who had just black?”

            “Black what?”

            Hoya rolled his eyes as Sungyeol gave him a confused look. “Black Band-Aid’s.”

            “What about black Band-Aid’s? Oh, I have one on right now! See it?” Sungyeol pointed to his Band-Aid.

            Putting his hand to his face, he sighed. “Sungyeol, I meant –“

            “Hi, students.”

            Hoya’s eyes widened as he saw Miss Cho walk into the room. Hurriedly, he gave me a quick ‘bye’ and ran up to his seat. As he thought, the teacher gave him a look, then turned to the rest of the class.

            “We have a new addition to our classroom. Let’s welcome him nicely, okay? Myungsoo, come in.”

            Sungyeol shrugged, looking down at his desk. His friend wasn’t next to him anymore, and there was some random new kid in my class.

            “Actually, I would really rather go by L.”          

            His eyes widened as he looked up, staring straight into L’s eyes. Which were, obviously, as cold and resentful as always.

            Wait. What?

            Why was L here?

OH. I SORTA REMEMBER WHAT I PUT. Okay so this chapter, I managed to squeeze in one of my U-KISS (I used AJ's real name, btw. It just seemed to fit better), NU'EST, and B1A4 biases. And in honor of AJ's absence from U-KISS for five months until 2013, the things I put about Columbia are all true. That's how smart he is. I'm gonna miss him so asdfghjkl much...do good in school, AJ! At least now you're in the same country as me. Hehe. Oh, and, no, Jaesop does NOT affect the story in any way. He doesn't have anything to do with Sungyeol's love life. I just added him in there at that part to speed up YaDong a bit.