Surgery

Oppa... You're Going To Be an Appa!

 

"Let's just get this over with..." I sighed, fixing Mina's bow on her head. It was the day of the surgery, and my room was PACKED with people. My family had flown in yesterday, so my mom, sister, brother, and dad were in here, TOP was sitting next to me while Mina and Jae Sun sat on my bed with me. Big Bang was in here, too, as well as TOP's family. I was prepped and ready to go. The nurse just had to come in to put anesthesia in my IV.
 
"You'll be fine. Everything will be fine. This is pathetic. It's nothing. You're fine." My mom said, shaking her head. This had hit her the hardest since it was her mom who died from ovarian cancer. I knew she didn't want me to know, but I knew she had been crying a lot.
 
"Of course I'm going to be fine." I nodded, grabbing Jae Sun's hand lightly as he reached up and tried to touch my mouth. "I'll be out in a couple hours, and I'll be back to performing in a few days. There will be nothing wrong with me."
 
Mina squeaked and reached over to the IV connected to my arm, and TOP  grabbed her and put her on his lap. "No, Mina. Mom needs that."
 
"Top, she's fine. Just put her back on the bed." I sighed. He had been really protective of me since we found out.
 
TOP got up, walked around to the opposite side of my IV arm, and set Mina next to her twin brother.
 
"Can I... Can I take a picture of you and Top with the kids?" Vinny asked quietly. "So, you know, when word gets out what you're going through, fans can see that you're okay."
 
"Yeah, of course, Vin." I nodded. He would be taking the picture on his iPhone, so I wasn't nervous about being makeupless. That and I had my glasses on.
 
I put Mina on the other side of me, and TOP leaned in. We smiled, and Vinny took the picture. I could tell TOP's smile was forced, though.
 
Just then a nurse came. "Okay, we're all set. Lets get you your sleeping medication." 
 
Mom and Mrs. Choi took the twins from me, and the nurse stuck a syringe into my IV. Almost immediately I began to feel tired.
 
The goodbyes started. First was Big Bang, and Seungri held onto me the longest. "I'll see you when you're done, sweetheart. I promise." Seungri smiled weakly, his eyes glistening.
 
I nodded, and next were Mr and Mrs Choi and Hyeyoon. They each hugged me.
 
"Just another bump in the road, arasso? You'll be fine." Mr. Choi told me, which surprised me.
 
Then was my family. My parents had Mina and Jae. Despite everything growing cloudy, I kissed Mina and Jae's foreheads. "Mommy will be right out, okay? Everything will be fine." I said, a slight slur in my voice.
 
"Everyone is praying, mi anglela. See you soon." Dad smiled weakly.
 
They left, which left me and TOP. He kissed me. "I'll be right there when you get, out okay? I love you, Natalia. Saranghae."
 
"I love you too." I mumbled.
 
Pretty soon, nurses came in to take me to surgery.
 
And I was out.
 
TOP's POV
 
I couldn't take this. It had been too long, the doctor said it would take a couple of hours. A couple is two, not five.
 
Natalia has been in surgery for five hours, and I didn't know why.
 
I had been sitting in between my mom and Natalia's mom, the twins being held by either one of them since I was too jittery. I had had... Five cups of coffee? No. Seven. Maybe. I lost count.
 
Natalia's dad was using his rosary, which he had started doing nonstop about an hour ago. Vinny was literally laying on the floor, his snap back hat over his face. I think he was sleeping. Or crying. Angelina was calmly reading a book. Hyeyoon was nervously picking at her cuticles, Seungri kept looking at the clock, G-Dragon kept tweeting on his phone about who knows what, Taeyang was listening to music, and Daesung was half-heartedly playing a game on his phone. 
 
I couldn't take the noises in that little room. All I wanted to hear was the soft, constant breathing of Mina and Jae Sun napping, which is what they were doing. But I kept hearing Natalia's dad mumble Italian, my dad shift in his seat, Angelina turn the page in her book, Vinny sniffle, Hyeyoon's nails, Seungri sighing, G-Dragon tapping on his phone, Taeyang tapping his foot nervously, and Daesung just... Well, he wasn't doing anything.
 
I couldn't take it. All in this one little room; it was too much.
 
"I can't take it!" I finally exclaimed, standing. Everyone stopped what they were doing to look at me. I pointed in the direction of the operating room. "They said it would take two hours! Two! It's almost been six! What could they be doing to her?!"
 
"Removing her ovaries." Vinny scoffed, muffled from his hat.
 
"Ignore him." Angelina sighed, peeking over her glasses at her younger brother.
 
"They probably found out they can remove the whole tumor, so that's what they're doing. Don't freak out. She'll be fine." Hyeyoon said quietly.
 
"I can't sit down. I need to move. I need to walk." I said. I began pacing the floor.
 
"Do you want to go down to the cafeteria?" Jiyong asked me.
 
I shook my head. "I might miss the doctor come in to tell us about her. Maybe I just need another cup of coffee and-"
 
"No. You've had twelve already." Mrs. Marcs sighed.
 
"What? No I haven't-"
 
Mrs. Marcs and my mom pointed to the coffee table. Sure enough, there were twelve styrofoam cups stacked together. Wow. I guess I did have a lot. 
 
"Get him a tranquilizer." Taeyang sighed. "He's going haywire."
 
"We'll, what would you do if Madeline was in there getting surgery because she had cancer, huh? When your two children are right here, waiting for their mother to be safe. But you can't make any guarantees."
 
"Okay, you're acting a little insane." Seungri said calmly.
 
"We'll, duh, Seungri! My fiancé is in there! She's been in there for too long!"
 
"You're going to wake your daughter and son, Seunghyun-ah. Keep your voice down." Umma hissed at me.
 
"We'll I'm sorry." I hissed. "But if this goes bad, that may be the only two grandchildren you're getting from me."
 
"Dude, calm down!" Angelina exclaimed, shutting her book. "Who cares if Mina and Jae are going to be your only two children? They're perfect. And at least Nat will be there to watch them grow up and-"
 
We heard the door open, so we all turned around. The surgeon was walking in. He looked tired, and was wiping his brow as he took off his operation mask. I was shaking at this point.
 
"Well?" I asked when he was close enough. "How is she?"
 
"The surgery took longer than expected, but that's nothing to worry about." The surgeon said, smiling weakly. "It looks good. Really good. Please, have a seat."
 
I sat in between Umma and Mrs. Marcs, and the surgeon sat across from us. He took off his glasses. "Like we told you, we made a six-inch vertical incision from her naval down. When we saw the actual tumor, we decided to not remove her whole ovary. The tumor was wrapped around, but not as bad as we had predicted. So, we decided to take the extra time and remove the whole mass."
 
"So, she's okay?" I asked hopefully.
 
"We won't know if her left ovary is damaged until she goes into recovey and we do some testing. But we were able to remove the whole tumor. We'll talk about chemo Until She's able to respond."
 
"But... You removed the whole tumor. So doesn't that mean she doesn't need chemo?" Mr. Marcs asked.
 
"We just want to be sure the cancer didn't spread anywhere else. It won't be extensive. Just a few appointments. But right now, she seems like she'll be perfectly healthy. Just a little sore. I wouldn't recommend she picks up her children the next few days, because that my cause a lot of discomfort."
 
"Of course." I nodded. "When can we see her?"
 
"I'd say in about twenty minutes. The nurses will take her back to her room, and you all can visit her."
 
"Thank you." I finally smiled. I held out my hand and shook his. "Thank you so much."
 
---
 
Natalia's POV
 
Slowly, I felt myself swim from the darkness. I was still really tired, but I needed to wake up. All I wanted to do was see my babies.
 
"She's waking up." I heard someone (Vinny?) say quietly.
 
"Jagi? Jagi." I felt someone grab my hand, and turned my head in that direction, TOP was next to me, smiling softly. "Hey, jagiya. You're back in your room. The surgery is done."
 
"Where... Are... My babies?" I mumbled, trying to keep my eyes open.
 
"Right here, honey. Right here." Mrs. Choi said. She and my mom walked over, and they were holding Mina and Jae Sun.
 
I smiled weakly and touched both of them. Jae Sun smiled and squealed. I smiled. "Hey, bubba! Did you miss mommy? Huh? I missed you..." I said groggilly. I touched Mina. "There's my little princess. Did you be good for grandma?"
 
Mina reached out for me, and TOP shook his head. "No no no, Mina. Mommy needs to rest."
 
I frowned. I wanted to hold my kids. "How did it go? Am I okay?"
 
TOP's smile got bigger. "You're perfect, jagi. They removed the whole thing. They didn't have to take out your ovary. They might want to do some light chemo, but they'll talk to you about that later. You're all better, jagi." TOP leaned in and kissed me on the cheek.
 
"You know, I've heard you call my daughter jagi and jagiya for about three years now, but I've never known what it means." Dad chuckled.
 
TOP and Big Bang laughed. "It's like a pet name, like babe, honey, and sweetheart." TOP explained.
 
"Then what does yeobo mean? Daesung calls her that." Mom asked.
 
"That means wife." Daesung chuckled. "I've just always called her that."
 
"I think you need to get more sleep, Nat. You look all loopy." Angelina smiled weakly.
 
"Why don't we let Natalia get some rest, then?" Mom asked. "Let's go to the cafeteria. I'm sure the twins need to be fed. Seunghyun, where's the diaper bag?"
 
"Right behind Vinny." TOP pointed, standing. He gave Mina to my dad. "I'll stay here with Natalia."
 
"No... Go with them. I'm fine." I weakly waved at TOP. I was so tired, and darkness was swimming over me again.
 
"I'm not leaving you." TOP shook his head. The family left, and TOP sat next to me again. 
 
I shook my head. "I'm just gonna sleep..."
 
I didn't even hear what TOP said next. I was out.