Guilt

Drawing the Line

 

 

 


Ding dong!

 

Hoseok’s flight or fight response dominated his heart seconds before the door opened, and he dived in the corridor next door while pressing his back to it with his breaths coming out at a fast rate, heart beating like a hummingbird through his chest.


“Hello?” Soa’s voice resounded inside the hall and the boy squeezed his eyes shut as he mentally debated with himself. Why did you ing do that?! Why the would you even do that?! What is wrong with you?

The sound of the door closing made Hoseok breathe out a sigh of relief, and without further ado he proceeded to walk back to his own house, kicking stones on the way. The frustration that had built up inside of him was like a boiling pot on fire about to explode at any second. He couldn’t in the world understand the meaning of his actions, and something didn’t feel quite right. Why was he acting this way? Since a young age he had been hurt by love, which is why it didn’t even cross his mind to think of Soa romantically in that sense. Instead, as he raked his hands through his locks he contemplated that maybe it was the hate that had accumulated through his body because of the said girl and that he just wanted to play a prank on her.

Yes, that’s probably it, he reasoned with himself.

 

However, there was still this lingering guilt at the back of his mind screaming at him something he couldn’t quite figure out, something more that needed to be read between the lines.

But J-Hope being J-Hope just brushed it off without a second thought.

He wasn’t about to lose some sleep over basic Kang Soa.

 


Soa blinked a the empty hallway and closed the door again, scratching her head while thinking that they had probably got the wrong door and were now hiding in the corner in shame. Oh well, she shrugged and walked to her room.

Collapsing onto her bed and picking up her mobile phone, she smiled when she saw a message pop up on her screen:

 

Soa my sweet, How are you doing? J

 

From: your loving Omma

 

Her fingers deftly flew across the keyboard when she replied back:

 

Hey mom I’m fine. I’ve been pretty busy these days but other than that life’s good J

 

From: Kang Soa

 

Her phone buzzed two seconds later:

 

Get some rest sweetie we don’t want you falling sick. I’ll bring some good yummy food over for you during the weekend arraso?

 

From: your beautiful omma

 

Arraso arraso, get some ice cream as well :P

 

From: Kang Soa

 

No you’ll become fat. Saerim can’t wait to see you sweetheart <3

 

Right, she had completely forgotten that her and her own sister were practically strangers. Being only 1 year older than her sister, Soa had had the shock of her life when she returned to see someone more mature, much prettier and much more grown than her. her sister was the pretty member of the family as she had inherited her gradnmother’s good genes and her ability to look demure and graceful without much effort. Compared to her Soa felt like an ugly duckling, and this once again was one of the reasons why she moved away. She couldn’t bear the sudden suffocation that she had between her and her younger sibling. Although it pained her since they had been close since Saerim’s birth, she couldn’t help but feel this overwhelming jealousy every time their father would praise Saerim’s good looks and good grades on top of that.

Her mother understood her frustration, and for that Soa was happy. At least there was someone that actually cared about her. Not that her father didn’t but it was just that Soa always felt like ms second placer, and she didn’t like it one little bit.

Pushing her back against the pillows and rolling over onto her stomach, she decided to lose herself in some leisurely reading before cooking dinner, and so soon enough she found herself traveling through space with the imaginative characters that flew across the lines of the book.

 

 


 

 

 

“Hi Soa!” Hani skipped over to her desk first thing in the morning. Soa tentatively smiled back but she was sure it resembled more of an evil smirk than an actual genuine grin. Hani didn’t mind however, and plopped herself down next to her newfound friend with another flash of her white teeth.


“Yah the maths homework was so complicated yesterday” The beautiful ginger-haired beauty sighed “were you able to finish it?”

 

Soa shook her head and pressed her lips together. What was she to say to that?

Hani was a bright and cheerful girl, and Soa was completely the opposite. God knows what the former found interesting enough to actually want to be friends. It was a basic question, a simple one that required just a ‘yes’ or a ‘no’, and yet the girl felt even more awkward than ever. Could she like die and get revived into another world? Because the embarrassment was crawling up her face like a red flag.

 

“Hey, so tell me” Hani nudged her arm playfully “Are there any hot guys around?”

Soa shrugged “probably”

“Probably? What do you mean probably! Girl, that’s the first thing to do when you come to a new school you know?!” Hani giggled while playfully twirling a strand of hair. She was so cute and girly Soa wanted to throw something at her. Too much. “I heard there’s this badass group, Bangtan?”

                             

Her nose scrunched up in disgust at the mention of his group, and Hani didn’t fail to notice her look as she laughed in response. “What’s this face?”

‘They’re mean” Soa mumbled.

“Yeah but bad boys have such a handsome charm” Hani swooned “I mean they’re so hot and all”

“If you say so”

 

Hani giggled again “You’re so cute, Soa-ah”

The said girl felt her face flame with a sudden redness, like a fire had set alight over a forest “N-No I’m not”

“Naw you’re even blushing, so cute!”

 

She almost sighed in relief when the bell rung to announce the first class of the day which was History. Hani had Geography and Soa waved half-heartedly at her newfound friend when they parted ways. While walking through the halls and trying to be as invisible as possible, she wondered about what Hani found so interesting with her that she suddenly became so friendly. Hai could be of a queenka standard, yet why was she hanging around with her, the antisocial, the wallflower? It didn’t make any sense especially when it was obvious just how much Haeryung and her peers were trying so hard to wheedle her into joining their queenka group. Soa actually believed that Hani would have ditched her the moment she realized what kind of a loner she is, but Hani didn’t.

It was weird.

 

A booted foot stuck out just in time for her foot to entangle with it and Soa’s body was propelled forward, her fingers reaching out towards air when suddenly, her hand gripped onto someone’s shirt bringing whoever it was down with her on the floor, their body sprawled out beneath her.

Disoriented and more than a little panicked about the sudden turn of events, she lifted her head so suddenly that her lips touched a jaw when her eyes found the owner’s own brown orbs.

 

The world froze into place when they locked gazes.

Oh my ing god.

 

“YAH!” Soa’s body acted like lightning when she propelled herself backwards but failed as her body fell in between J-Hope’s legs. Her eyes wered as wide as saucers and her hands were clenched into fists from the fear that coursed through her body. What was J-Hope doing on the ground?! How did that even happen?!

So it was his shirt she had gripped when falling.

, she cursed inside her mind, she was surely in for it now.

But the Hoseok gaping at her with his jaw practically hitting the floor still hadn’t come to his senses, and it wasn’t until her thigh suddenly brushed his that he snapped back to reality. A frown decorated his face when he pushed her harshly off him.

“Da woman” He growled, eyes narrowed “Do you want to die?”

Soa got up and brushed herself off “You’re the one who tripped me, so it’s your fault”

 

“It’s not my fault you don’t watch your step” Hoseok said as he took a step towards her, his expression dark and merciless when he backed her against the lockers. Soa scrambled back as fast as possible, her breathing hitching up a notch at the closeness of their bodies. A déjà vu of what had happened after school before flashed in her mind causing her to bite down on her lip in nervousness.

She hated how she felt so powerless against him.

 

Slowly, practically pressing himself against her he leaned down to her ear “You’re testing my patience”

 

Soa shivered and squeezed her eyes shut while turning her face to the side and trying to avoid his gaze at any cost. She didn’t like this, didn’t like this position at all. He was taking advantage of her and he knew it.

“G-Get off!” regaining her courage she pushed at him with her palms onto his chest, not failing to notice how defined his body was. She couldn’t, wouldn’t look up to meet his eyes because she knew that he was laughing at her inside, mocking her for her fragility and her vulnerable position.

 

J-Hope didn’t in the world know what he was doing. His body was reacting weirdly to her touches and instead of backing away like any normal person should’ve, he tilted her chin upwards and narrowed his eyes when he noticed that her own gaze was stuck on his shirt, not wanting to look at him properly.

“Why aren’t you looking at me? Huh?” he said it so smoothly, so calmly it actually felt like he was concerned, but knowing that this was Hoseok, Soa rolled her eyes and pushed at him again when he suddenly clamped his hands onto her wrists and pinned her to the metal locker.

“Are you scared?” he breathed. She hated the tingles that rushed up her spine at his closeness, at his touch on her skin that scorched her with something unexplainable.

Soa did not like not knowing what her body was going through. Loathed it, even.

 

“Jung Hoseok. Step away from her. Now

 

A sigh of relief fell from her lips when a hall monitor gave J-Hope a detention after school, not wasting time to scurry away from the boy with her red cheeks ablaze and her heart pounding in her chest like she had just run a race. God knows what the boy would’ve done if someone hadn’t stepped in between them.

 

Soa shook her head as she tried erasing the thoughts of his tall frame pressing against hers, and how his muscles actually fit well into her curves, and…oh my god Soa shut up! She screamed at herself, cheeks reddening once more, are you crazy?!

She bowed for her lateness to the history teacher and settled herself at the back with a weary sigh. Hoseok was still a big fat bully, she grumbled to herself.

 

 

------------------------

 

 

Hoseok was going crazy.

No, he was crazy.

He was sure of it, what happened with Soa this morning proved the fact clear as crystal water. He was standing by his locker and pulling at his black locks in irritation, thinking that if he raked through his hair hard enough, his mind might fall back into place and everything would go back to normal again. He couldn’t forget the feeling of her soft body against his, how she had looked up at him with those naïve eyes of hers, how her fear was a genuine. Seriously, Hoseok could count for a sadist if he really enjoyed watching her suffer. But there was something, a spark of he didn’t know what that alighted inside of his heart every time he would get this satisfaction of cornering her.

When he caught sight of the girl walking down the corridor with her books in hand, he let his gaze trail downwards and a pang of guilt flooded his body when he caught sight of her scabbed knee, probably from the fall she had earlier.

Because of him.

Okay now he felt even guiltier since she was limping.

His feet led her to the nurse’s room where he took some bandaids and a small bottle of ointment all the while chanting inside his head that he was doing it just for the sake of closing off his guilt because he hated that feeling like he owed her. in all the years of his precious life, the boy had never done so much as to help any girl other than his sister. But it may have been that it was because of the fact that he knew he was responsible for what had happened, and therefore couldn’t look past it like he hadn’t seen it. He mentally cursed himself; was Jung Hoseok of all people becoming soft? God, how he hated that word. A month ago, he wouldn’t even have known the existence of that word, it was that bad. But since that encounter with this stupid annoying girl there were things that changed with himself and J-Hope wasn’t sure if he liked it or not.

 

When he found her sitting on a bench outside in the courtyard, he would’ve called out her name when Jungkook’s figure running to her with medicine caused him to freeze in his actions, eyes as wide as saucers. His fist clenched automatically upon seen the younger tend to her wound and a soft fire of jealousy burst throughout his stomach, at his abdomen and trying to force its way up his throat and into his brain. He hated feeling so weak, so helpless because of just one basic girl, so he shook his head, to his heel and walked away.

 

You don’t care Jung Hoseok. He chanted to himself, you don’t care at all.

Kang Soa’s nothing but a pest to you.

 

 

 


DA JHOPE FEELSSS OMGGGGGG <3 how was this chappie? :D Comment below! <3 I love hearing what you guys think <3

Of course i love you all :) <3 xxx