Baby Steps

Drawing the Line

 

 

 

 


 

 

The New Year rolled around with Hani, Soa and Chohee being seniors. On the first day of school, Jhope had insisted upon leaving her at school and even threw a tantrum about it when she declined politely, arguing that boys would be flocking around everywhere and no way was he going to let his girlfriend walk alone on the streets when those thugs were around, when in fact Soa had been walking to and fro from school since forever and nothing had happened to her yet. She had rolled her eyes at his childishness but knew that it was useless to argue seeing as he was as stubborn as a mule.

 

She just hoped that on the first day he wouldn’t leave a bad reputation for her. but unfortunately, the boy did when he caught sight of a few freshman eyeing his girlfriend although Soa swore to him that there was this pretty girl behind them which was their reason of interest.

“I still don’t trust them” a little bit more and J-Hope would be stomping his foot like a real kid. Instead, he threw his arms around her shoulders which caused her back to bump against his chest as he nuzzled her hair and drowned into her enticing scent.

 

“They’re kids Hoseok!” Soa threw her hands in the air in exasperation when the boy pouted and looked away with a frown. She had to admit though, it was rare when her boyfriend would pout but it was worth it because he looked so squishy and adorable.

“Don’t tell me you weren’t looking at boys on your first day of school! I DID!” he protested.

 

She cocked a brow at him when he slipped, “Oh you did huh?” her nostrils flared and she hummphed before turning away “well I guess your first day at uni would be no different, staring at girls”

 

“Yah I’m the one who’s supposed to be jealous here” grabbing onto her arm to pull her to him, he didn’t hesitate to ruffle her hair when the girl slapped him on the back of his head while crying out, “Hoseok! Urgh you’re so annoying!-“

 

He pecked her lips quickly, almost shyly to shut her up as he leaned back and sent her a boyish grin that melted her insides and twisted her tummy into butterfly knots. She hated it when he was like this, arguing with her then gaining the upper hand because of his damn touchiness! She made a mental note to herself to get back at him once school was over, and a smirk slid past her lips when she realized that she did have a weakness of his that was at her disposition. The boy should watch out.

 

“Chohee’s here” he nodded suddenly toward a direction and Soa turned to catch sight of her two friends; Chohee and Jungkook with their hands linked like they had always been there. The girl sighed, patting down her hair while grumbling softly, “Damn it, I’ll be third wheeling all day”

 

Hoseok chuckled lightly, “ to be you”

 

“Shut up” She snapped.

 

He flicked his fingers at her, “Go before I kiss the life out of you”

 

Soa blinked in shock, “Well that’s sudden” but then ran away before the boy could catch her again and he sighed while running a hand through his hair, glaring at the freshmen group of boys from earlier on. A growl erupted from his lips and they scurried off in fear, the older boy’s lips twitching in content. Taking a last look at Soa’s retreating figure, he turned to go to his own University.

 

After the big confrontation with his parents, Hoseok had moved in with Soa now that he was an adult. He wasn’t about to be bossed around by his dad anymore, especially when the old man had wanted him to enter a business and economics University. Instead, he had sneakily placed a letter of admission to the Big Hit Dance Academy of Arts when his father wasn’t looking, knowing full well that with his skill he wouldn’t dare be rejected. With the help of his sister, the boy had managed to run away on one cold night and he had to bless his heavens for being so lucky that day, because at any moment his parent could’ve had woken up and it would’ve been the end for him. Hyejin, though annoyed and more than displeased with hs little plan, had even patted him on the back when they had reached Soa’s sanctuary. She knew her brother’s situation and was aware of how much he wanted to run away. It was hard for him, since he was the boy, naturally making him the heir of the company. She had done everything in her power to stop her parents from controlling him all the time, but unfortunately they were so hotheaded and stubborn, now she knew where her and her brother had gotten their traits. They weren’t necessarily bad people, but they deserved the slap in the face before being brought to light about Hoseok’s wants and dreams.

 

Time and time again he had tried explaining his situation, but they didn’t listen. They never did.

 

“Take care of him well, Soa-ah” The older woman flashed the said girl a small, soft smile, knowing that the latter was scared of her partly because she was Hoseok’s sister and partly because well, she was Jung Hyejin and she was always scary.

 

“And you!” Hyejin punched her smaller brother on the arm, so hard he cried and flinched away from her in pain while gritting his teeth and exclaiming, “What was that for?!”

 

“Don’t you dare take advantage of her! You hear?!” She pulled onto his ear for good measure as the boy nodded maniacally while screeching that pulling his ear wasn’t going to help things at all and would she please stop.

 

Soa giggled at the scene and Hoseok threw a glare of betrayal.

“What are you laughing at?!”

 

She stuck out her tongue “You, duh”

 


 

 

“Hellooo Soa, you’re daydreaming again” Chohee’s hand waved around said girl’s face and she blinked in shock, looking back at her friend like she had just woken up from sleep. “What I it?”

“It’s lunch time idiot” The latter sighed, putting her hands on her hips, “I swear it’s so bad when Hoseok’s not around”

 

“I didn’t do anything” Soa protested.

“I didn’t know any better I’d say you were dreaming about him” her friend replied with a of an eyebrow. Jungkook came over while slinging an arm around his girlfriend with ease and pecked her cheek before she could do anything else, a cute grin on his face as he looked at Soa with a questioning gaze. “What’s up, girls?”

 

“Just Soa trying to deny that she’s utterly madly in love with J-Hope” Chohee snorted.

 

Soa felt the heat creep up her neck and bloom over her face. Quickly, she looked away and tried to steady her heartbeats before it got any worse, granted she hated it when she loss her cool so quickly. She noticed that it was always because of a particular reason; namely the mention of Hoseok’s name was enough to render her speechless and erupt butterflies across her stomach.

 

The couple poked some more fun at the poor girl as they made their way out of the class, and if Soa hadn’t looked back maybe she wouldn’t have felt the guilt hit her straight into her gut. But then again she did, and what she saw made her momentarily freeze in her footsteps.

Hani was there; packing her bag like it was the most natural thing in the whole world.

Well it was actually; there wasn’t anything special about that.

What made it different was the lack of people buzzing around her like bees. Soa remembered the end of last semester when her popularity had boosted up a notch, always seen to be hanging out with the queenkas and laughing loud while a trail of brokenhearted boys followed her everywhere. What had happened to her clique? Soa couldn’t help but wonder, it was weird, seeing her all alone for once.  When she wasn’t surrounded or not loud, she looked even more vulnerable and fragile, and something inside Soa tugged in guilt.

 

But then everything Hani did to her came rushing back in an instant, and the guilt was gone.

After all, why should she feel guilty when she had been the victim of Hani’s wrongdoings? Soa shook her head and wanted to hit herself with a frying pan for being so soft, for god’s sake that girl had tried ruining your entire life, stop sympathizing with her.

 

“Soa?...”

 

The fact that her name rolled off Hani’s voice box caused the said girl to flinch back in protest. But she stood her ground and turned instead with a stoic expression, trying not to let her feelings get the best of her.

 

Not saying a thing, she decided that waiting was a better option for fear that she might blurt out unnecessary things.

 

“Uhm…” Hani’s fingers clenched and she was twisting them together, a sign that she was nervous. A slither of power shivered down Soa’s spine. For the first time in her life, she was witnessing the vulnerable side of Hani.

 

“I wanted to apologize” There was nothing holding Hani back, her answer was as bold as the girl herself but her expression gave it all away. Instead of a cocky and arrogant expression, Hani’s face was scrunched up into a frown of worry and uneasiness, like she wasn’t sure about herself.

 

“For what?” Soa asked emotionlessly.

 

“For having hurt you, for trying to steal away Hoseok…I’m sorry, but I can explain”

 

“Explain?” Soa’s lips couldn’t resist tilting up into a smirk of mockery, “Isn’t it a bit to late for explanations?”

 

“I know I don’t deserve this chance to explain myself. But really, it’s important” Hani’s eyes seemed to beg her to understand, to compromise with her or at least acknowledge the fact that she had something to tell, something to spill.

But Soa had had enough with all her secrets and her stupid ego-mocking hypocrisy. She already done it once right, what could possibly stop her from doing it twice? Or thrice? No matter how much her heart hurt of seeing Hani’s dejected expression, Soa wished to protect herself first from all others. She had learned that about herself. She was sorry and it wasn’t in her nature not to act like the mature one and make amends, but this time Soa wans;t ready to open her heart again especially when there was Hoseok involved as well.

Granted, the girl was possessive over what was hers, there was no way she was handing her boyfriend over to Hani, whether she liked it or not.

 

Though she trusted him enough not to fall for her again.

 

She shook her head slowly, as if trying to convince her own subconscious she was doing the right thing. Then gaining, confidence, she took a step back while shaking her head with more conviction this time, “No, I’m sorry”

 

And then she ran out of the class before Hani could open again.

 

 


 

 

“She wouldn’t listen to me!” Hani whined as she flung herself onto the soft material of her couch, feeling it dip with her weight. She threw her head back with an annoyed sigh and let it flow out of her ponytail, not really caring if it left marks through her hair because right now she couldn’t even care less, although Namjoon was right there lying on the sofa opposite her while flicking through his phone.

 

 Throughout the weeks to come, they had developed some sort of camaraderie that made each other’s presences tolerable, and Hani noticed bigger and bigger details every time she would look at Namjoon.

Was it just she? Or was his hair starting to lose its blonde die? He should die it brown again, she liked it when it was that color. Blonde did him a lot of justice she had to agree to that, but she always had a soft spot for guys with natural hair color.

 

It was weird really, spending every day with Namjoon and enjoying his company although they barely talked sometimes. There wasn’t anything to talk about now that she thought of it, but anyway, she loved being around him because it kept her stable. Sometimes, she even had the urge to text or give him a call, anything just to feel his presence by her side, because granted the girl was lonely all alone in her house. But pride won her moral and with a decisive sigh she decided not to bother him more than she already has.

 

It annoyed Hani really, when she was being so needy. She was a strong girl at heart, someone that wouldn’t be budged no matter what others said but how ironic, since she always tried to fit in with others. But now that school has started, she had dropped her façade so bluntly that everyone was shocked at the change in her behavior. Goodbye to all her popular clique and friends that hung around her for the sake of being famous around school, they left her upon realizing what a burden she was really, to them. But Hani didn’t mind, it was her purpose, now she merely said high to half o the school population, and was actually happier that way. Like this, she didn’t have to build up an expectation, a fake version of her reality. Now she could be the normal, the natural her.

 

“You expect too much from people. Of course she’d never listen to you” Namjoon answered with a distracted gaze.

Narrowing her eyes at his answer, the girl didn’t hesitate to kick him lightly in the shin as he cried out in pain. “Ow,’ he narrowed his eyes at the girl, “What was that for?”

 

“For being a ”

 

“I told you it wouldn’t be so easy” He leaned back onto the couch with a smug expression, so smug Hani felt like wiping it away with a punch in his face.

“But I said sorry didn’t I?! You said that once I apologized everything would be fine!” She whined.

 

“It will be. But you have to give her some time” the boy sighed before reaching over to pat her shoulder sympathetically, “Try again. Keep trying”

 

“What if she doesn’t want to have anything to do with me?” Hani murmured with sudden insecurity flowing through her veins. The girl had tasted rejection once by her parents, then by Hoseok. She wouldn’t bear it if Soa rejected her once more. It’d be too much to handle even though in a stray part of her mind she knew she was at fault and didn’t blame the other girl at all for her reticent behavior.

 

“Soa’s not the type not to forgive” He leaned back, “She may not look it, but she’s really mature for her age”

 

“What should I do?~” Hani couldn’t resist from letting a whine leave her lips as she pouted at the ceiling.

Namjoon chuckled upon seeing her facial expression. One thing that Hani seemed to have lost was her iness. She was much more easy-going and bubbly without society’s eyes prodding into her back. He was slowly discovering the old Hani that he had known before she moved away, and it reassured him somewhat that not all of her had been lost.

 

“Be patient for now. She’s not going to jump into your arms for god’s sake” He hit her had lightly with his fist.

 

“OUCH YAH!” Grabbing onto his arm in self-defense, the girl bit his flesh on his hand lightly and the boy grunted before pushing her away forcefully.

 

He scrunched his eyebrows together when he noticed the saliva present on his hand, “Ew, you’re disgusting”

 

She stuck out her tongue, “Sorry not sorry”

 

“And I thought you were supposed to be very docile and feminine. How very feminine of you to bite my hand” Namjoon rolled his eyes when she headbutted his shoulder multiple times like a kitthen wanting to be petted. “Stop, you’re acting like an animal now”

 

“I’m a dog, pet me” She replied while chuckling.

 

Her laugh was addictive, it was something he wanted to record on his phone and let play every night before sleeping because it was just so full of life and genuine feelings. The melody was bubbly and free-spirited and everything that represented fluffy clouds on a bright summer day.

 

“I hate dogs” he replied wittily.

Hani threw him a scowl, “You monster!”

 


 

Haiiiiii thereeeeeeeee pretty things~! 

Okay so this chapter definitely has movement. Time passed and now is the new year in this fic where Hoseok goes to university. More family Background will be present during the chapters to come but for now, let's enjoy HOBISOA FLUFFINESS LIKE OMG I CANNOT CONTAIN MY FEELS WHILE WRITING THESE PARTS I SWEAR I JUST BLUSH THE WHOLE WAYY GAHHHHH. 

Authorim is weird. I'm sorry /slaps self/ . 

 

Anyway, we see Hani and Namjoon's interactions...What do you guys think of these two characters? What's your perception of Hani now? 

 

Thanks to all of you who commented on my last chappie, It's so wonderful to come home and be reading all those beautiful comments especially after a hard day at school... I mean I'm all dead and after school so seeing all those beautiful words of you guys wishing me luck and encouraging AND LOVING THE FIC JUST MAKES ME WANT TO HUG YOU ALL YOU GUYS ARE JUST SO SO SO SWEEET I LOVE Y'ALLLL! <3<3<3<3<3<3