Saved

Drawing the Line

“I know how I can become Soa’s friend again!” Hani suddenly burst into Namjoon’s room without even knocking. The boy jumped up from his bed in surprise and gaped at her like she had grown five heads. For god’s sake, the ‘keep out’ on his door made it pretty clear that not just anyone could come and go from his room as he pleased. Since his younger days, he always hated it when people would just come without even knocking, it felt like an invasion of privacy and to him it was a big thing. However, there was also the fact that ever since they were kids Hani had never once knocked on his door. She’d just come in with a smile on her face and her dollies in hand, begging him to just play with her because her parents were never home and her maid was too busy around the house to play with her. Back then, he’d felt remorse and slight guilt whenever he’d reject the girl and slam the door in her face but then again, this was Hani.

She could get annoying at times.

Especially with her fist.

 

“Don’t you know how to knock?” he seldom made an effort to keep the annoyance toned down low in his voice.

 

Ignoring his statement, she plopped herself onto his bed and bounced slightly knowing that the boy hated those small antics of hers, “Her small sister’s going to throw a birthday party this weekend! We should definitely go!”

 

“There’s a small detail you forgot about” Namjoon’s lips tilted back into a sadistic smirk. She laid down her head on his stomach and looked up at him through her lashes, frowning “What?”

 

“We are not invited”

“That’s the fun of going undercover!”

 

He threw her an aggravated look, “Yah, this isn’t like Kim Possible or Totally Spies. We can’t go undercover”

 

“Look Namjoon” Hani rolled over so that she was on her own stomach, using her elbows to crawl up the bed so that she could get a better look at his face. The boy was lying down with his legs sprawled out, turning his head to watch her when she shifted her weight. “Saerim told me that she’s having a birthday party, and that she’d specifically want to make Soa’s life hell”

 

“So?”

 

“So, if we show up at the right time and save her then she’d be forever grateful!”

 

With her innocence, Hani oozed of good intentions, beaming as if Christmas had come early this year and for a minute Namjoon’s mind faltered because he did not want to abash her hopes. The girl had set her mind right with wanting to make amends and be friends again, but something stirring inside him told his subconscious that Soa would be more than furious to see them popping up on her house’s doorstep where they were the least wanted. He could picture it now, he red tomato face as she screamed at them for being so careless while tossing them a frying pan out of her window.

 

“I don’t think that’s a good idea’ He made sure to drag out his words and soften his tone. His heart quenched slightly upon noticing Hani’s crestfallen expression by the droop of her shoulders.

 

“Ah wae~?” She started playing with the ends of his fingers; bringing them over to her face and analyzing every ridge, every detail and every bump of his skin. When she came across his palm, her index finger traced the scar over that was still faintly present. A smile tilted her lips up at the memory.

 

Namjoon sighed and ruffled his hair, “She’d probably hate you even more”

“Then what should I do then?”

He turned to look at her, “I’ll try to contact Hoseok. See what he says”

“But-“ Hani frowned, “Hoseok doesn’t know that I know. He’d kill me if he did”

 

The boy groaned, eyes narrowing as he thought of another solution, “I’ll call Jungkook then. Jungkook knows right?”

 

“Well I guess so, since they’re friends” Hani wanting to make herself more comfortable, turned over once again to lay on her back. Then she wriggled closer to him and tucked herself under Namjoon’s arm without his permission.

Her sudden action threw him off guard, but he tried to keep his cool when he asked lazily, “Yah what are you doing?”

 

“I’m sleepy” She murmured, the words muffled in his sweater.

 

Looking down at the girls’ figure curling up against him like a puppy would do with it’s master, Namjoon let a small smile dance across his face. He was glad now that he was slowly seeing the changes in Hani’s demeanor. She had definitely changed for the better and he liked it. Her iness was gone, she was gentler, more like the girl he knew back then, easy going and fun to be around although sometimes she could bug the hell out of you. But then he chuckled fondly at the memory of the past few weeks they started spending time together. He had university tomorrow and needed to finish an essay before going to sleep. But somehow, he did not find the courage to move especially when this cute kitten was sleeping so soundly.

Ah well screw it, he thought before closing his eyes and dozing off as well.

 

 

 


 

 

 

“You are NOT coming with me” Soa pushed J-Hope’s shoulder back forcefully with a glare imprinted on her face, making it clear with her eyes that she didn’t want him there attending the party with her. Granted, it wasn’t that she was ashamed of him or whatever, but if her father was to be present, then she didn’t want her boyfriend to go through what she’d call hell. Not only that but what if he heard everything they said about her? What if he heard all the critical comments they passed amongst themselves, not even bothering to cover their malice as they all looked at her with judgmental eyes? Then what? She would hate herself for him to hear all the bad things they criticized her for.

 

“I can and I will” He murmured with a determined glint in his brown orbs, pushing back with as much intensity as he took a step forward towards her.

Soa shook her head, “You don’t understand, Hoseok. You can’t”

 

“Wae?” his brows didn’t hesitate to furrow and meet at the center, dipping down to from creases darkening his face.

 

If Soa had been any other girl, she might have swooned or cowered in fear. Fortunately though, she did not fall into either of those categories. Instead, her arms crossed protectively over her chest, shaking her head more firmly. Hoseok was just being unreasonable because she was travelling alone for the first time since she moved, and maybe he was just worried. It warmed her heart that the boy genuinely feared for her safety but it got annoying when he got like an overly attached teddy bear and acted as if she couldn’t even walk with her own two feet. It was frustrating to no end and Soa felt like this conversation was never going to cease.

Especially since Hoseok has become ever so clingy for the past few days.

 

Though now that he had asked the question, what exactly could she tell him? That she was ashamed of herself?

He’d probably skin her alive for being so insecure.

 

“You didn’t let Jungkook or Chohee come” He insisted resembling a persistent puppy, “So at least let me come, even as your gay friend”

 

She burst out laughing in his face at his statement, “You’re really that desperate?”

 

“Yah” His cheeks flushed red. It wasn’t fair! Here he was trying to help her and protect her from all those bad people, and all she could do to repay him was laugh at his overprotectiveness!

 

“I-“ Soa tried restraining the laughter bubbling up from , her eyes crinkling laughter as she tried to muffle them by holding her stomach, “I’m sorry but this-is so funny”

 

“Fine, suit yourself” He snapped before turning on his heel and walking out of the room. Her laughter died down as soon as it had come, and with wide eyes she felt he door closing with a loud BANG! Before sighing in resignation. Hoseok will never change, if she had to choose what exactly she’d like her boyfriend to work upon it should definitely be something like his temper. Never had she someone as foul-tempered and as moody as he. It was amazing how she even put up with him everyday, though they weren’t that frequent ever since he had moved in with her.

 

But then, the flash of pain lingering around his maroon orbs weren’t just her imagination. Clearly, her words had hurt the boy more than they should have because above it all, he did it out of concern. Her heart clenched when an image of a pained Hoseok instilled itself in her mind, puffing out her cheeks in a sigh of frustration. She was at loss, and time was running.

 

 

“Hoseok?” She tried calling out, her voice a melody of a murmur. Clearing , Soa tried again. Stronger this time, “Hoseok?”

 

No answer.

 

The girl sighed and shrugged half-heartedly, biting her lip in nervousness. Were they fighting right now? What should she do? Apologising would be a good option but for what? She wanted to smack herself but most importantly she wished to hit Hoseok’s head with a frying pan for being such a stubborn and annoying mule.

 

“I’m going” She called out briefly then, rolling her eyes before slinging on her knapsack and walking out of the flat. Well, if he was going to be a brat about it, then so will she. She hadn’t done anything wrong, so she wouldn’t be apologizing just because he thought she had to. After all, there was a pretty logical reason as to why she did not wish for his presence there. Soa boarded the bus alone and found a seat at the back, huddling her bag closer to her while looking out of the window.

 

It’s been a while, she thought to herself. Plopping her earbuds in her ears, she let the soft beats of music calm her fluttering heart, in hopes that when she arrived at the venue, she’d be strong enough, hard enough to withstand the blows that she was expecting.

She closed her eyes and thought to herself, I just have to be strong, she repeated inside her mind with a determined glint.

She had to.

 When she arrived at the venue, Saerim and her mother were busy unloading the food from the van they had rented, and with a slight smile, walked up to them when they caught sight of her. The bright expressions that cleared their features weren’t someone that could’ve been forced, and a small part of Soa’s heart lifted slightly. Maybe this wasn’t going to be as bad as she’d thought.

Maybe for once she’d feel like this was her family once again.

 

“Soa! It’s so nice to see you sweetheart!” Her mother rushed to her side, dropping the boxes as she went and hugged the older daughter with a firm force Soa found unlike her own. The action was so sudden that the said girl felt clog up from emotion. It had been what? Six months? Nearly a year since she’d met with her family. The comfort of those arms, those motherly arms and that beautiful sweet smelling scent that made her feel at home…everything about it made her heart ache in pain. Soa had to admit although it was better when was alone did not necessarily mean that she wasn’t homesick. Memories flashed past her eyelids; of the times where they used to laugh happily and always stay by each other’s side, like what families were supposed to do. This was all before the accident, before everything turned wrong and almost everybody her. Now the place where she had grown up…it wasn’t home anymore, it had changed, they had changed.

As well as herself.

 

Strange how everything could just wash away…within a blink of an eye.

 

“Omma’ Her voice was hoarse when she tried speaking, and she gulped before trying again, “Omma, I missed you”

 

“Look at you” Mrs Kang leaned away and framed her oldest daughter’s face with her hands, smiling, “You’ve grown so much, have you gotten thinner? Aish you work too hard!”

 

“Anyo” Soa shrugged out of her embrace with a slight chuckle. Always the one worrying about everyone, at least her mother was still the same as always. She smiled when she caught sight of Saerim’s figure emerging from behind the van, and waved “Hi Saerim”

 

“Eonnie!” the latter’s face broke out into a beam, “ you made it!”

 

“Yeah, I just came. Do you guys need help?” She nodded towards the van.

 

Together, they unloaded everything and directed themselves into the hall where everything was laid out and well-placed. Dishes and utensils were removed and put in their appropriate spots while decorations were finalized. Soa’s heart was still fluttering uneasily in her chest at the thought of her father debarking and catching sight of her face, and prayed the heavens that somehow there was something at work that would stop him from showing up because god if Soa had been scared before now she was just petrified.

 

At around noon, guests started pouring in and Soa bowed diligently to Saerim’s friends, awkwardly fluttering alone by herself since she had never really been well-acquainted with her younger sister’s clique. She noticed that they mainly consisted of beautiful people, and frowned slightly. Was Saerim really part of the popular group in her school? Just like Haeryung and Co from her’s? Wide doe eyes, beautifully crafted makeup, thin and long-legged girls as well as handsome, intimidating boys… it was enough to make Soa’s blood boil with intimidation.

 

Right at this moment, she kind of regretted not inviting Hoseok along.

“Oh I’m sorry” a stranger bumped into her then, and if it hadn’t been for his hand-shotting out to grab onto her arm, Soa would’ve already been kissing the floor by now. By luck, he had stopped her from humiliating herself even more, and it was only when she looked up that she realized that it was a boy, probably one of Saerim’s friends. His dark, straight hair framed his face in a very angelic way while his eyes contrasted darkly with the softness of his locks.

 

He flashed her a smile, “I’m so sorry, are you okay?”

 

She gulped and backed away abruptly from him, “I’m fine. Thanks”

 

“You’re Saerim’s eonnie right?” The recognition dawned across his features as the mysterious boy kept scanning her features while Soa’s face burned scarlet. There she had been trying to avoid all the attention from the crowd when she just had to bump into one of Saerim’s friends!

Although she had to admit it was better than meeting her father.

 

“Yeah”

 

“I’m Kim Jongin! Nice to meet you!” He bowed down ninety degrees and Soa blinked at his sudden use of formality. Okay, they were good looking, that was one. But manners? Now that was something the girl hadn’t expected. On the contrary, she had mentally prepared herself for receiving a selfish blow along with a snigger.

She blinked twice at the boy and started seeing him in a new light. Well, not everyone was as bad as Haeryung and her clique, Soa thought to herself before attempting a wobbly, nervous smile “I’m Kang Soa, nice to meet you too”

 

“I never knew Saerim had a sister until just recently!” He started talking animatedly with the sparkle in his eyes reminding Soa of a child being excited on the day of his birthday, except that it wasn’t Jongin’s birthday to begin with. There was a sort of freshness to Jongin, his smile was open and very friendly, in a way that caused Soa to feel comfortable in his presence. “Can I call you noona, if you don’t mind?”

 

She shook her head.  

 

“So what school do you go to noona?” Jongin asked with sparkling curiosity.

 

“Uh, Nam Sekyung High”

 

“Oh really?! I know a guy that goes there. He’s such a douche” Jongin wrinkled his nose and didn’t try to hide his distaste.

 

“What’s his name?” She wondered. But before he could say anything else, her name was called once again. This time though, at the sound of the familiar alto that rang inside her skull, she froze, her muscles suddenly contracting with the familiarity of the fear locking her into place. Her blood ran cold and her heart started beating harshly inside her chest, like she had just run a marathon. Oh no, of all people she wished to meet…but then again there had to be this confrontation, a time where she’d get the chance to say whatever the hell she wanted in his face. This was her chance to liberate herself, to feel that for once, she had done good at defending her pride and her own self-esteem, that there was no way people could walk on her because she’d be trampling all over them in the first place.

 

But when she turned with her jaw clenched, all thoughts just flew out of her head. Her confidence dimmed down a notch upon scanning the grave face she had once called her father, that face that had made her so happy before, and that face who had brought her so much pain. She didn’t want to look into his eyes, the eyes that had tormented and mocked her for her failures, for not being a good enough daughter, for never being enough. The fear drilled into her muscles and enabled her to move. She couldn’t feel her legs, feeling like she had been stuck in mud. Were all heroes of her fairybooks feeling the same way when they were battling the monsters? Because right now Soa felt in a war, a war she would never be able to win no matter how much she tried protecting herself. Like the shield, her walls were slowly falling away from her, leaving her bare and vulnerable and exposed for the world to laugh at her.

 

Her father smirked. That mouth.

Soa drew her eyes away, “Hello abeoji”

 

“Weren’t you supposed to be studying? What do you think you’re doing here?” her father’s tone was so harsh that she winced.

“Saerim invited me” She replied bravely and hoped that her voice wasn’t trembling. If she were to act weak against her father, then he’d know, he’d know she was still scared.

 

Mr Kang sighed, “You foolish girl. Always neglecting your studies, you didn’t change at all”

By now, everyone had stopped his or her activities and was now looking astounded at the father and daughter confrontation. Soa saw their eyes glued onto them like glue, and at once, all her emotions started building up in the middle of her chest. She felt the squeezing pain between her ribcage, and it was hard to breathe for once, hard to keep her concentration when so many probing stares were drilling into her skull.

 

She was the prisoner ready to be killed, they were the crowd. Her dad was the one ending her life.

 

Unknowingly, her fists clenched, nails digging into her palm upon feeling all the stinging words being sent her way. She didn’t bother, didn’t even have the guts to reply, for she’d be shot down in a heartbeat.

 

“Look at Saerim, she deserves this birthday party, because she works well and knows she’s doing something with her life,” Her father continued like it was the most normal thing for him to say. Well it was, not one day went by without his hateful comments, whether be it morning, afternoon or night. It didn’t make a difference because Soa was trash, just trash and nothing else.

Every word was s stab that made her bleed.

 

“How come you never seem to understand what I say? You never work; I don’t even know why we made you change schools. It was supposed to be so that you could work better and learn how to be responsible. This Soa? This isn’t responsible. I don’t know what to do with you anymore.”

 

Jab jab jab. One to her rib, the other on her shoulder, stripping her skin and flesh apart and watching the blood seep through her shirt. How the hell was she supposed to reply to that? In a small part of her stray mind, maybe he was right, maybe her father had all the reason to shout and reprimand her every single time.

 

Out of the peripheral of her vision, she caught sight of her mother’s panic stricken face, and knew that she wasn’t about to do anything to help her, for her stance was a defensive one and her orbs were darting anywhere but at her. it really hurt, to be betrayed just when you needed it the most. The truth was that her mother was just too scared to act on her own.

Just like Soa, she was too scared to say anything.

 

 

“Are you not going to say anything? You stupid little girl. You had always been a brat”

 

She gulped and looked down, not knowing exactly where she should lay her gaze for her father was causing the fear inside of her to rumble and coil, her feelings tangled up in pent0up frustrations and annoyance. Anger, all she felt was the anger boiling like lava about to burst into flames.

 

But then, fingers coiled in around hers in a warm grip. Looking up, the gasp got stuck in while her eyes doubled in size, “Wha-“

 

“She doesn’t need to say anything.” Hoseok’s stare was petrifying. He looked like he wanted to kill someone, the dangerous glint in his eyes present. “Soa doesn’t need to hear bunch of lies”

 

He’d appear out of nowhere, but nothing could describe just how grateful she was at that moment.

 


 

Yo yo yo! 

How was this chappie? and what do you feel about Soa's father? :S 

On another note...Mannn Namjoon and Hani....remember how you guys felt about Hani a few chappies before? ;) what do you think about her now and Namjoon? 

Should I make a side story about them? heheheh xD 

thanks to all of your comments guys! YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST I LOVE YOU ALL! <3 CHU!