All just Lies

Drawing the Line

 

 


“Are you sure I can come?” Soa bit her lip in thought as the doors of the hospital slid open to reveal it’s white, pristine interior that caused flashbacks of memory zap through her mind. Just the smell of the scented orange chairs made her remember the soft beeping sounds of the machines, the white linen bed that she hated so much, the whitewashed walls that caused her claustrophobia, everything was just a dull reminder of the three years she lost in her teenage years. She closed her eyes briefly and told herself that everything was different now and she shouldn’t fear her past because it was part of what made her into the individual she was now.

 

And she was proud of that.

 

Hoseok’s hand squeezed her own in comfort, “It’s fine. He’s in a better mood ever since he stopped occupying the company”.

After Mr.Jung’s accident, J-Hope’s older sister had taken it upon her shoulders to take his place with full protest against him trying to stop his dance lessons at the academy because it had always been his dream. When the boy tried protesting, she just shook her head and pushed him out of the office with a determined glint in her eyes. He had passed by the office a few times and it seemed that she was getting the hang of it, although he was pretty sure once his father would be dismissed from the hospital services Hoseok would be forced by his own guilt to take over the company.

 

On a brighter side, it looked like the hospital got a load off Mr Jung’s chest. He had been smiling a little bit more now and he most frequently made jokes. it was nice to see that side of him, not to forget that he had apologized profusely to his son for his behavior the past few years, about his reticence and protest against the idea that Hoseok went into the performing arts. But now he understood and accepted him just like he was, it calmed him down somewhat now that he didn’t have to sneak out every time the urge to dance came upon him. He had also made it poignantly clear that he wanted to meet the sweet-hearted girl that had captured his son’s heart, as he was well aware of the fact that not just anyone could fit Hoseok’s taste.

 

J-hope tapped slightly on the door to make his presence known before entering the room, tugging onto Soa’s hand when she stayed rooted on the spot, “Hi appa”

 

“Hoseok” His father greeted with his deep tenor voice. Soa felt like throwing herself off a cliff, this was getting serious and she wanted to show her best side, but how could she when she was more than a little imperfect? She wanted for his parents to approve and accept her; she hated it when people looked down upon her.

 

She was brought out of her thoughts when his hand pulled hers again, coaxing her softly into the room for she had been unconsciously hiding behind the door, “Soa, c’mon, it will be fine”

 

 

With a final decisive pull, she stumbled over and bumped onto Hoseok’s shoulder, facing her father and gulping timidly before saying a soft, stuttering, “A-Annyeonghaseyo”

 

The old man greeted her back and looked at her cowering frame trying to hide herself behind Hoseok, and smiled. Her cute innocence was radiating out from her aura and he could tell that she was a good person on the inside.

 

“So this is the famous Soa you’ve been talking about a lot every hour every second?” Mr. Jung sniggered to himself once Hoseok’s face flamed with color. Never had he seen his son become red-faced, hot and bothered. Seeing him doing so rendered the old man wild with joy and excitement. So now he knew what to tease Hoseok about.

 

Soa looked up at J-Hope, “You do?”

“Of course not!” he scoffed, “He’s just exaggerating”

 

“I hope he is” Soa answered, which caused the boy to push her slightly in annoyance. She laughed and it died down once she remembered she wasn’t just in his presence alone, but that Mr. Jung was watching them really closely. The man cracked a soft smile upon seeing the two for it reminded him of his relationship with his wife as well. Taking the cup at his bedside, he took a sip of water before talking again.

 

“What grade are you in, Soa-ssi?”

 

“I’m a senior”

“Where do you plan on applying?” He cocked his head.

 

“I’m not really sure yet” she fidgeted, “Because of the money and all…”

 

“Ah” Mr Jung nodded in agreement, “Of course. Tell me, dear, has Hoseok been good to you?”

 

“Appa!” The said boy cried in exasperation, rolling his eyes in vain, he saw it coming, he knew that there would be no escaping once his father shifted it to the topic that was him, and knowing Soa, he was pretty certain that she’d love listing out loud all his faults and flaws.

 

“Hoseok is really good to me” Soa’s words caused him to whip his head to look at her, genuine curiosity in his eyes, “He-He really knows how to take care of people.”

 

“Is that so?” His father chuckled, “That’s hard to believe since he’s the baby of the family”

A soft smile alighted her face; “He treats me like someone who has value to him”

 

“Well Hoseok” Mr.Jung addressed his son, “seems like you caught yourself quite a nice catch” He winked at Soa who blushed in embarrassment and ignored Hoseok’s protests, “I’m really glad to have made your acquaintance, Soa-ssi. I’m really thankful for you staying by his side especially in difficult times”

 

She bowed, “It’s nothing”

 

“If you kids don’t mind me now” the old man reached his arms up to the ceiling before stretching and letting out a breath, “I need my beauty sleep”

 

A soft chortle left her lips before she could stop them, but the man just let his mouth twitch into a smile as his eyes crinkled softly within the wrinkles upon his face. It was so much unlike her father, who watched her all the time with this kind of distance that she wished she had never had a father in the first place. The man before her-Hoseok’s father- was so charming and warm and full of soft feelings that it made her want to cry. Her own father had never appreciated her ever since she came from the coma and it hurt all the more when she realized that her father had been nothing but a pure classy jerk to her existence.

 

As they exited his room, J-Hope could see the frown adorning Soa’s face and with his fingers, pushed at her forehead slightly.

 

She blinked up at him while he asked, “What’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing” she looked away. She did not wish for him to see her flickering emotions especially in that vulnerable state.

 

But when he grasped onto her forearms and turned her around face to face, she couldn’t help but let out an “I really like your dad”

 

He grinned crookedly, “I’m glad”, then clasped her hand in his as they walked along the corridor. She looked up to him, a sudden smile cracking onto her face before she hid it beneath her expression. But right now, she really felt happy with him around, she felt complete.

 

“When is he going to get discharged?” She asked.

Hoseok chortled, “I think that he likes this kind of life a bit too much so I don’t know”

 

“But in a way it’s good right? Since he’s been under a lot of stress”

 

“Yeah. I’m just scared of what will happen after that” He looked away and Soa understood his growing terror inside his stomach, the fact that maybe he’d have to give up his dream as a dancer and continue his father’s company because his older sister really wasn’t making it any easier for him although she tried her best. She wasn’t cut out for this sort of work and likewise, he hated seeing that dull, stressed-out expression claim her face just like it had their father’s. He could only anticipate what was to come.

 

 

 


 

 

After having thoroughly discussed upon the matter with Saerim’s principal, Soa managed to get her hands onto her personal file that contained all her records and got to know what school she had transferred to. So with a firm, determined mind, she walked to the neighboring college named SM Academy where she assumed this was where Kai had come from. The fact that her parents had omitted that little bit of information where Saerim had transferred caused the doubt in her brain to expand. Usually, they would have been calling her and being all excited about it, but was there a reason as to why they were trying to keep it a secret? Something seemed fishy.

No, something was fishy, and if no one was going to tell her what was going on, then she’d sure find a way of knowing the truth, with or without his or her help.

 

To her relief, the college didn’t look like it possessed any delinquents of the sort. Asking her way around to the desk office, Soa gulped down the nervousness and tried playing along to her supposed act.

 

“Hi” she said to the secretary, who looked up from her paperwork only to look back down like she couldn’t care less about her presence. Well, what a way of manners, Soa thought to herself as she cleared once more and repeated, “I need help”

 

“If this is about changing courses then no dear, the deadline’s already passed”

 

“I-“ anger flared up in her stomach, “I’m not a student here”

The woman looked up again, eyes widening behind her glasses as turned into an ‘o’ shape at her mistake, “I’m so sorry! It’s just that you look so young!”

 

Uhuh, yeah right, Soa swore she felt herself roll her eyes mentally at her stupidity. “Anyway, I’m the older sister of one of the students here, Kim Saerim. She’s a sophomore here and just transerred two weeks ago”

 

The lady ruffled into her files and returned back with a frown, “There’s no Kim Saerim who transferred here, I’m sorry. The only person that transferred was the girl called Lee Haera”

 

Lee Haera? Soa knocked her forehead in feigned annoyance and clicked her fingers together, “that’s right! I’m sorry my smaller sister has that habit of changing her name as she changes schools, you see she’s quite the predicament” She flashed the woman a too-bright smile and continued, “You can check her birth records, it’s in 1996”

 

Without a second of hesitation, the lady gave her the file record when she babbled some more about some kind of entertainment company that wished to see her school records and that she would be back to give it in immediately after they had done the applications and sent for the auditions, beaming brightly until she reached the corner. Her mask slipped off when she realized that her sister had been playing some sort of sick joke on them. What the hell is she doing? Soa thought to herself, confusion swimming inside her mind as she tried to comprehend her actions. Why would she lie about her true name when transferring to another school? She felt like slapping herself and blinking back to reality, but a pinch of her skin already caused her to realize this was the reality of it all, and that Saerim did lie somewhere along the line. Something wasn’t right, something felt tricked somehow.

 

Her heart bubbled in nervousness when she thought about everything that could have happened the past 3 years of her absence. Anything, just a small slip of a lie, a feigned innocence, everything…

With trembling fingers, she managed to open the records and kept staring at the information on the paper with a growing horror building up in the pits of her heart, burning it slightly with its already broken pieces.

 

Name: Lee Haera

 

Birthdate: 28.06.96

 

Family Background: adopted at the age of 13 years old by the Foster Kang family.

 

Orphanage Residence: Gwakbohyung Orphanage

 

 

Soa felt nothing, heard nothing, saw nothing but the black words printed on white medicine paper, her fingers clenching with sudden realization as the shock took over her body. Her legs started shaking uncontrollably and with a small sob, she let herself crash to the ground as small bits and broken pieces of her soul started flowing out of her eyes, cascading jewels down her cheeks and dripping down her t-shirt. Adopted? Adopted? 13 years old? Did that mean…no, no it couldn’t be, and she didn’t want to think about that. It couldn’t have, they would never...

Kim Saerim, the real Kim Saerim, what happened to you?

 

Everything. Everything that she had been told from the beginning, were they just lies fed to her? If they had lied to her about that, then they could’ve lied about everything. Maybe it wasn’t really 3 years, maybe something had happened for her father to resent her in that way and treat her like she was nothing but trash, maybe it was the reason as to why Saerim kept bugging her, about how she never understood where that sisterly bond was gone. Soa was numb, numb from everything. Her brain was in turmoil, thoughts crashing and colliding into each other when she tried to make sense of what she understood. Biting her lip and raking a hand through her hair, tears started clouding her vision and sobs kept escaping . This is impossible, she felt like screaming, it can’t be true, this is a nightmare and I am going to wake up soon…

 

She wasn’t really sure as to when she had the energy to stand back up, but before her brain processed anything else, her body was dashing towards the orphanage, heart beating wildly in her chest and hair flying back through the wind. Her tears kept falling, but she didn’t careless as she kept repeatedly wiping them on her shirtsleeve. She was more than a little disoriented but finally she reached the place, her legs trembling from the pressure when her fist hit the blueprinted door.

 

“Saerim? Does a Kim Saerim live here?” She blurted out at the lady who opened the door. The latter blinked at her state and rushed to her side while saying, “oh dear, what happened to you!? Let’s bring you inside first”

 

She did not understand why they had placed her on a nice, comfy couch and why there was a mug of hot chocolate in her hold, I mean why did they bother? She asked bitterly to herself when the lady returned with a jacket and placed it around her shoulders comfortingly, before settling herself on the opposite chair. The woman placed a timid hand on her shoulder and did not wince at the slightest when Soa shrugged it off more than a little venomously.

 

“Dear, what’s this about Kim Saerim? We’re an orphanage. Are you lost?” She asked kindly.

 

“What about Lee Haera? Is there a Lee Haera that used to live here?” Soa ignored her question and went straight to the point.

 

The woman hesitated slightly then sighed, “Yes, there was, until 3 years back”

 

Again, Soa felt like vomiting everything she had eaten during the day, not that she ate much to start with. Her world tilted slightly to the side and she had to press a hand to her forehead in order to calm herself down.

Coughing up a small question, she timidly continued for she was fearing the answer that would follow, “She was adopted by Mr. Kang, right?’

 

The nun told her about her story, and with every passing second Soa breaths got harder to inhale, harder to breathe, harder to believe that this wasn’t just a nightmare. The lady mentioned her cousin and the name struck her again. No matter how many blows she was receiving, it was impossible to be numb from them all. Once again, her heart froze at the sound Lee Hani’s name falling from the woman’s lips and that did it. It was the last straw. Staggering to her feet, she thanked the lady in a rushed way and dashed to the street, legs barely able to keep up with her speed. Stumbling and finally falling to the concrete floor after closing the door behind her, she finally succumbed to everything that had been pulling her down from the moment she had checked Saerim’s records. The lie, Hani’s lie, her life was a whole lie…

 

She burst into tears.

 


 

So sorry for late updates lately :x and for not replying to story comments if ever i missed it :S 

Omg noooo don't cry Soa she needs her Hobi now. I am not satisfied with this chapter but i tried my best. If you guys could give me any suggestions about whats bad because I believe I could've done a better job at expressing her emotions. But no worries, I'll save it all for later, especially the confrontation between Hani and Soa. and Let's not forget JHOPE coming to the rescue OOOOHHH DAYUMMM! <3 HAHAHA XD I CAN'T RESIST THOSE TWO THEY'RE TOO CUTE <3 

What do you think will happen next? *gasp* please leave a comment on your thoughts :) <3 Next up I'm going to put more Namni and ChoKook, wait for it readers ;) You have a lot to anticipate to....hehehehe FLUFF. 

Anyway, thanks for always reading and supporting this story! <3 love you all! <# MUAH! 

PS: OMG OMG OMG I NEED YOU OMG THIS WAS OMGJASHFIHFDIJFHGHKFKFAOF HOW HOW HOW HOW OKAY HERE ARE MY PERSONAL THOUGHTS ABOUT EACH MEMBER: 

Namjoon: Sure namjoon, find it normal to just a lollipop and be done with it, Urghhhhh. y beast. /slapsself/. I love his part of rap to be honest. 

Jin: HOLY- HAS HE BEEN AN ACTOR IN HIS PAST LIFE OR-and is someone going to talk about HOW WELL HE HAS IMPROVED HIS SINGING? 

Suga: Suga and Bed is Life. 

Jhope: NO NO NO YOU CAN'T DO THIS TO ME- Dies. No words. Just perfection. i especially LOVED it when he touched his lip arghhhhhhhh /frustrationofafangirl/. 

Jimin: Jimin you hot sass, your high note is bae. 

V: How can one look so damn fine in a hoodie, all in black? HOW HOW HOW?! 

Jungkook: OKAY YOU ARE RUINING MY BIAS LIST STOP IT I AM NOT GOING TO LET YOU- STAY IN YOUR LANE MISTER I MEAN FINE, YOUR Y-AS-HELL COLLARBONES AND YOUR SHOULDERS AN YOUR PERFECT FACE CAN KEEP THOSE TO YOURSELF.