Tears

Drawing the Line

 


The silence was deafening. No one said a thing about the stranger that suddenly popped up out of nowhere. No one dared to even ask as Hoseok and Mr Kang held each other’s gazes with a burning passion of fiery hatred. The tension was so thick that Soa swore she could cut it with a knife, and before she would regret all her actions, she grabbed more firmly onto Hoseok’s hand and tugged him hard towards her.

 

The boy turned his head to watch her. She shook her own, “Don’t” she whispered, “Don’t look for trouble”

 

“Who are you to intrude?” Her father sneered as the said boy’s expression hardened visibly. With a gaze of steel that even made Soa shiver from fear, J-Hope replied calmly but with a clipped and stern tone, “With all due respect, Soa’s a dear friend of mine. And I can’t see her getting crushed by her own father”

 

Dear friend?” Her father snorted and threw his head back laughing. It was a sound of mockery, a horrible and ugly sound that made Soa’s knees feel like jelly. Her heart dropped in her stomach when she watched her own parent taking the fun out of everything, out of her and always trying to ruin things for her. Hate filled her very core at this instant as she watched Mr Kang wipe imaginary tears from his eyes. This man, he had never been her father, the façade that he had worn earlier on in his life when she was younger, maybe it was all a trap, something set against her so that she’d fall into his hands. And once she did, he made sure to crush her like an insect.

 

But then she got the shock of her life when another voice spoke, “Yeah, friends”

 

Eyes widening so that they were almost popping out of their sockets, she slowly turned her head and would’ve fainted if not for J-Hope’s firm grasp around her hand, keeping her steady as she stared at the four individuals standing at the door like they had always had a place over there, with her, like they didn’t really care about what others thought. Standing tall with their chins in the air, Soa scanned their faces with a sudden jolt of relief running through her blood.

They were here; they had come to help her, to save her.

 

Nothing could make her more grateful.

To think that they’d do so much for her, it brought tears to her eyes. Never had she been cherished and loved in that way, and the fact that her friends proved it otherwise made her heart warm.

 

She was indeed lucky.

But until now, she felt the luckiest.

 

In the background, Saerim felt a gasp leave her lips upon noticing who exactly was standing at the entrance. Lee Hani, the one that had told her she hated Soa’s guts, the one that told her it was useless trying to break Soa because she was already broken, the one that had egged her on to break her when Soa took away J-Hope from her hands…what the was she doing here? Wasn’t she supposed to hate Soa’s guts to hell and back? For god’s sake not just three weeks ago she had told Saerim specifically that she wished to make Soa’s life the most horrible living nightmare ever existed, and the latter had quickly complied seeing as she had wished for Soa’s downfall as well.

 

She betrayed you, a small voice in her mind mocked her with a spiteful tone, she betrayed you and took Soa’s side. Now what are you going to do when you’re all alone?

 

Her fists unconsciously clenched against her sides. Why did it all have to happen like this? She was supposed to see Soa’s horrified and desperate gaze, the gaze she had first given her mother when she left her at the orphanage, all alone to battle against the world. Why were her friends here?

 

She hated it, despised the fact that Soa’s gaze wasn’t mirroring her own. She did that for a reason, not because she was just a . But Soa, she had always kind of envied the older girl. Ever since Saerim had moved in, they had made it clear from their actions that she was nothing but a hole to fill, a void that needed to be replaced because someone died. In other words, it just meant that she was just wanted for her presence; just for a figure they could in anywhere and say it was their daughter, just for their pride. Looking back, the girl remembered her adoptive mother cooking Soa’s favourite meals in the morning, with all her sweat and blood and hardwork only to come back with a saddened and grave face when she realized that Soa wasn’t about to wake up. But Mrs Kang had never given up hope, she was always bustling about the kitchen and trying to improve her cooking in order for Soa to wake up and taste the dishes she had prepared for her older daughter. Saerim felt jealous then, this green pit of fire burning at the back of her stomach and boiling all the way around her body. Why couldn’t she be as cherished as her eonnie? Why had she been brought here only to be aside like a dust rag?

 

This was why Saerim was so bitter, so bitter with everything and with life in short.

 

Although Mr Kang did showeer her with all the attention and gifts, it just wasn’t the same. It was awkward for Saerim to be comfortable with her adoptive father when she was already at an age where she understood the difference between girls and boys. Her mother however, Saerim was thirsting for her affection, the affection she never gave away.

 

There was only one way out of all this mess, a way to hurt Soa’s feelings.

 

With a deep breath, the younger girl lifted her chin up and looked straight at what she was supposed to call her older sister.

Then, opened and screamed.

 

 “I HATE YOU!”

 

Everyone shifted their gazes on the younger girl, watching her like she had grown five heads.

Saerim took another deep breath and put on a pained expression, “I HATE YOU EONNIE. YOU ALWAYS HAVE TO RUIN EVERYTHING! THIS WAS MY SPECIAL DAY, WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU?!”

 

Soa was taken aback by her sudden rebellion. With a hesitating foostep, she was about to go over to her in an attempt to calm her down when Saerim said something that let her blood run cold.

 

“Thank you for this birthday eonnie” Saerim proceeded to turn away, eyes drilling into her older sister’s own orbs. Her words were filled with malice and disgust that made Soa flinch “You really know how to ruin someone’s special day”

 

That went straight to Soa’s heart. Her heartstrings snapped as she watched the latter walk out of the room and close the door with a loud bang! No one knew what to do, especially now that the birthday girl had been enraged. Murmurs and whispers started rolling into Soa’s ears in waves, and she couldn’t help it, she had to close her eyes to restrain herself from hearing all the nasty comments, the stupid thoughts of every individual in this room.

 

“Oh my god, now I know what you’re talking about”

 

“I never knew her older sister was like that”

 

“No wonder she always es about her noona. She’s completely horrible, stealing the limelight”

 

On and on and on it went, like a never-ending river of blood coursing through Soa’s eardrums and threatening to burst her sanity. Tears accumulated behind her eyelids when the girl squeezed her eyes shut and clamped her lips so hard with her teeth that blood seeped out of her flesh. It hurt; it hurt to hear that again and again after such a long time. it made her realize just how much she hadn’t really changed for the better, that she would always be viewed as a black sheep, and that there was no way to rectify her image because no one liked her.

 

Mr Kang huffed with satisfaction, crossing his arms over his chest, “Good job for having made a scene, Soa”

 

Soa said nothing.

What could she say? She’d be abashed in a heartbeat.

 

A sudden tug on her hand pulled her backwards and she stumbled into Hoseok’s embrace. In a swift movement, headphones had been placed on her head and over her ears while the boy pushed her backwards so that he was shielding her from her father. Around her, Jungkook, Chohee, Hani and Namjoon had surrounded her with serious ‘don’t mess with us’ expressions on their faces.

 

“Are you satisfied now?” J-Hope’s tone was as harsh and bitter, though muffled through the headphones.

 

“That she ruined the party? Obviously not” Her father scoffed, eyes dark with malice, “But then again what should I expect from a useless kid like that?”

 

“Look here ahjusshi!” Chohee snapped with a fire of determination glinting in her eyes, “She came here because of her sister, because she wanted to celebrate Saerim’s birthday and nothing else. She was full of good intentions; you’re the one who broke that atmosphere. Who told you to harass her like that?!”

 

The old man was about to reply when he was cut off by Namjoon’s stern voice, “ She never wanted to look for trouble, and she’s always trying to make an effort to come though she knows you’ll be here”

“Do you know how hard we begged her not to go?” Jungkook’s hiss was as vicious as a snake.

 

The group didn’t care whether they were being disrespectful, they didn’t care how everyone looked at them at this particular moment, they didn’t ing care. All they cared about was Soa’s safety, Soa’s well-being, Soa’s feelings and most importantly her heart. Although she wasn’t someone that expressed her feelings as well, they were aware of the situation with her family, her sister and her father especially.

 

“With all due respect Ahjusshi” Hani spoke with surprising calmness but her words were icy shards of glass, “You don’t deserve someone like her as your daughter. She’s so much better than you”

 

Mr Kang’s face was priceless; all red with rage like a bull about to explode into a fierce gallop. His face swelled up like a balloon and his eyebrows were so furrowed in the center that they created a monobrow, creases appearing all over his face in utmost irritation. Opening his mouth to say something else, he got the shock of his life when his wife lay a hand onto his arm and looked at him with orbs that could kill him in an instant if they had been guns.

 

“Yoo Jin, stop” Mrs Kang’s voice uttered a final warning.

 

And they knew the fight was over, that they had won it though they had disrespected themselves. J-Hope took a hold of Soa’s shoulders, turning her away from the crowd and shielding her with his body as he ushered her out of the room, the rest of the group in tow. Once outside, they all huddled together and watched Soa with worried or concerned expressions. Every single one of them wondered what exactly was on the said girl’s mind, but she did not give anything away apart from her blank, flat stare into the distance, like she was dreaming through it all. It was scary, especially when her eyes were glazed over with an opaque light that cut the world off, her orbs brown with absence of feeling. She almost felt like a robot.

 

J-Hope was afraid that this encounter had led her to get even more drowned in her negative emotions. He was aware about the harsh treatment she received from her father, that was where all her insecurities came from, and he guessed it was something she’d never be able to get over. But that was why he wanted her to know tha they were there for her, all of them, even Hani whom he was surprised to see at the door at the same time he did, wanted to show her her utmost apologies, her ultimate sorrow about having been mean and a to her.

When he thought about it, Soa was pretty well loved no matter whom she met.

 

Because otherwise no one would’ve come to the rescue.

 

They all stood there, the awkwardness seeping into their bones as they shuffled uncomfortably.

Finally, Soa’s eyes fluttered softly and she shivered. It must be because of the cold, Hoseok thought to himself as he automatically wrapped an arm around her. She didn’t pull away, and yet he felt like she hadn’t even registered his actions for her gaze was pinioned on the girl opposite her.

 

Her irises were burning with seriousness, “What are you doing here?”

Hani gulped, knowing that there was no way of getting out of this. Once the cat was out of the bag, it would never go in again. She took a deep breath and looked at Soa straight in the eye with genuine concern written across her features, “I knew about it, the party”

 

“How?”

 

Hani flinched under Soa’s hard stare. If eyes could kill, well she’d probably be dead by now.

 

If she were to say the truth, what with Soa not being mentally stable right now after having received so many open wounds and jabs into her flesh, Hani did not wish to re-open them again for feat that it’d be too much for the girl to take. Instead, she lied smoothly and kept her gaze on Soa’s so that it looked as if she wasn’t lying when in fact her heart was thumping with guilt at the prospect of it.
 

“I overheard you and Chohee talking in the cafeteria, and I thought it was a good way to try and show you that I’m sincere, and that I want to be friends”

Namjoon wanted to heave a big sigh. Man, he couldn’t imagine what might’ve happened if ever the truth was to pour out of Hani’s mouth of all people. Saerim should be the one telling Soa, not her.

 

It was something between them, between siblings, therefore it should say that way.

Weird, since when did he start defending Hani? He shook his head and blamed it on the fact that they spent way too much time together.

 

“I told you guys not to come” Soa was serious, her gaze as hard as steel as she looked around the circle of faces. Nobody dared to look at her in the eye, and then she slowly softened with a sigh.

 

Taking her lower lip in between her teeth, the said girl then mumbled something along the lines of “But thank you for coming”

 

Within a blink of an eye, the girl found herself being drowned by the group as they came forward to hug her, squeezing her to death while bursts of laughter fell out of their lips. They ignored her protests and wrapped their limbs around her like a mummy and Soa had to smile. The warmth emanating inside her chest spread throughout her whole body, and thus she realized her luck to have friends that cared for her, that worried about her, that were concerned enough to stick up for her. Those were the type of friends she had yearned forever since her coma, and she was grateful for them, for their presence. Without them, she didn’t know what she would’ve done.

 

Because there was no way she’d live without them anymore, how the hell had she been coping all those months alone?

 

Her gaze suddenly fell upon Hani’s still form, waiting all alone. Guilt rushed to her chest upon seeing the girl standing there with an awkwardness that seemed to ooze off her nerves. Maybe if she had been anybody else, Soa might have asked her to join them, to call out a truce, because she knew that Hani needed to be given that second chance and that she was truly deeply sorry about her mistakes from the past. But the memory of her father held her back. Maybe when Soa was in a better state of mind, then she’d try to sort out her relationship with Hani.

For now, she was grateful enough that the girl had come to her rescue without her knowledge; it warmed her heart at the slightest.

 

Namjoon seemed to have heard Soa’s thoughts for his hand shot out to drag Hani by the arm over to the group, wrapping his well-toned limb around the girl’s shoulder before pressing her close, feeling her warmth and her scent.

 

Soa looked away, but the smile slipping past her lips was obvious enough as to what she was thinking.

 

“Man, we kicked some back there” Chohee stated proudly with a sigh while stretching her shoulders as they made way for home. As Soa started following them, she got restrained by the firm grip of a hand reaching out to snake around her waist, bringing her over to Hoseok as they fell back a step, a slight distance from the group.

 

Jungkook shook his head at her while playfully digging his elbow into her rib, “You’re impossible”

 

“What?” the former wrinkled her nose, lips upturned in slight annoyance “the ahjusshi was starting to piss me off”

 

“I can’t believe he talked so harshly like that” Namjoon furrowed his brows. Hani blinked and replied, “Was it always that way?”

 

“I don’t know” Chohee confessed when all eyes were turned upon her, shrugging to try and act aloof and like she didn’t care, although a deep part of her thought that Soa should’ve at least warned her. That was what friends were for right? Why was the girl always keeping things to herself when it only hurt her in the end? She had no one to lean onto then, and Chohe’s unconsciously gripped Jungkook’s fingers into a bone-breaking grasp with impulse as she thought about it. He felt her uneasiness and brought her over to him before dropping a kiss onto her forehead in comfort.

 

“Gwenchanayo” He murmured through her hair. The girl nodded but sighed again.

Maybe she should talk to her, Chohee thought to herself, making a meant note to try and pry through Soa’s secrets after she had calmed down enough and taken a hold of her emotions.

When they reached home, the said invidual barely spared them a glance as she disappeared into her own flat. Hoseok clenched his teeth as he watched her go, then turned to the circle of friends with a nod, as if saying “I’ll try and talk to her’ through his gaze.

 

Namjoon instantly understood his words, his unspoken message and nodded as well, “Take care of her” he replied with a soft tone. “She needs you the most”

 

“Call me when she’s better” Jungkook told him, eyes glazed with worry. The same emotion was reflected in Chohee’s face when she faced Hoseok and told him, “I’ll bring over some of her favorite food tomorrow”

After they had left, the boy trudged upstairs and was not surprised to see the figure of his beloved seated on the couch in the living room, unmoving like there was no life left in her. The stillness of it all sent chills of creepiness throughout his body, not to forget that there was absolutely no sound that could distract him, not even the soft drop from the kitchen tap now and then was able to soothe some of his thoughts.

 

“Soa” Hoseok whispered softly, walking over to her and sitting himself down next to the girl, causing her body to shiver in response. He turned her head at him but her eyes were still blank, staring off like she wasn’t rally seeing him there. She was still replaying the incident, the confrontation with her father; it hit him suddenly with realization, a pang inside his chest. The boy wished she did not take it too much upon herself, that she’d learn for once to let go of the thigns that were holding her back. He could see it pained her to think about it and he never wanted to see those tears ever again, he had promised himself that. But now watching her lips wobbling with a threatening bubble every now again, her shaky breaths and her clogged up nose, he wasn’t sure that he’d be able to keep even that one small promise.

 

“Hey, hey” He cajoled when a flash of pain burst through her irises, swirling with a soft maroon that reflected the emotions that were raging through her heart. She was torn in between whether trying to understand her father as well as trying to give up on the hope she’d always held on to. The boy cupped her cheek with his hand and brought his forehead over to hers, their breaths mingling together.

 

“It’s okay. It’s over now” His voice was as husky as a soft blow of the wind on a warm summer night and it calmed her down somewhat. Almost as if he was afraid to break her, Hoseok wrapped his arm around her and placed her head on his shoulder, like one would do with a baby as he rocked her back and forth, back and forth on the couch. His strong hold did nothing to ease the pain she was trying to stow away at the far corner of her heart, and his enticing scent triggered all the pent up feelings she kept denying. Soa never wanted this, never wanted this kind of situation, she hadn’t asked for it, who would? But here she was, after having told herself time and time again that she shouldn’t be taking her parent’s criticism to heart. The truth, the ugly truth was that she was weak, the girl was weak and she knew it.

There was no denying it, Soa had build walls yes, but she was a girl as well.

 It was hard though, she told herself when a tear slipped past her eyelid, trailing down her cheek to plop onto the material of Hoseok’s sweater.

 

That one single tear, he felt it, cold and wet upon his warm skin, a contrast that had him gritting his teeth in agony. No, of all things, he hated to see her like this, to see her cry, to see those tears fall from her eyes.

 

Without any hesitation, he just tightened his grasp and burrowed his face into her hair, pressing a soft kiss at her temple when the girl shook all over, sobbing quietly on his shoulder.

 

“Shh, it’s okay now. Gwenchanayo, shh” The melody of his deep alto soothed her, Soa felt like she was a small kid being comforted by her father, and just the picture of Hoseok taking care of a child had a smile tilting up her lips through her film of tears.

 

She was grateful to have him by her side.

To have someone as caring, as thoughtful, someone that understood her without having to try and understand.


 

Hey guys! 

This chappie is a little bit longer than what it was supposed to be :) I hope you guys like it! 

Here's the confrontation between Soa and her father as well as Hobi coming to the rescue!~ OMGG if i was in Soa's place i'd be soaring the skies and singing nursery rhymes because an annoyed Hoseok is y okay :P I hoped you liked this chappie and omg isn't Hobi just too sweet in the end? Like he's trying to comfort her awwww <3 so cute my hobi! 

Like it? Hate it? Comment down below! <3 

 

NOW ALL IS LEFT IS WHAT SAERIM IS HIDING HEEHHEHE <3

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK OF HER TEMPER TANTRUM? WHAT ABOUT HANI AND NAMJOON? EHEHEHEHE <3 

Love you guys! Thanks so much for the comments and have a good day/night! :D <3 ~ xx