Chapter 28: Issues

Near To You - Nu'est

She was standing on the balcony, smoking a cigarette and gazing at the stars. She was tired, probably because she didn't have enough sleep last night, when they had gone out. But it was worth. She felt so much better, knowing she didn't need Jake to go out, have fun and feel pretty. She had no idea how she deserved these guys. They were so nice to her. But she couldn't stay. She didn't want to give them the feeling she was just using them, to live at a nice place for free and to just hang around at home all day long. She needed a job. But She was wondering whether she would go back to LA or just stay in Korea for a while. She liked it here, a lot, but she sure missed home too. And her Korean probably wasn't fluent enough to find herself a job here. Maybe she could go and ask Aron about it. Usually, when she was in doubt, he could give her a clear, sober point of view, which usually made up her mind. Yeah, she would talk to Aron.

Suddenly she heard a lot of noise inside, and she looked over her shoulder. The five boys seemed to be very excited, and she threw away her cigarette. After all, she was still a girl, and that meant she was curious. She entered the living room and closed the door to the balcony, as soon as JR noticed her, her started jumping in front of her, flowing over with excitement.

"Manager Hyung got us a piano, so we can practice here too!" He shouted happily. Erica started laughing. These guys could behave like little children, but that's what she liked about them so much. It wasn't a fancy, giant piano or something like that, it as just a plain electric instrument, but they were still very happy to have it. Baekho was already testing his new toy, and Erica leaned with her shoulder to the wall whie she watched her new friends enjoy themselves. 

"You okay?" Minhyun looked at her, she shrugged.

"Yeah, it's just... Never mind, it's nothing." She didn't feel the need to bother them with her thoughts. Not yet.

"You have been thinking too much again," Aron said without looking up from the piano. 

"I haven't-"

"What did you think about?" Ren asked. BAekho continued playing, but at the same time he kept looking at her, and she let out a sigh.

"I just don't really know what to do right now."

"Do about what?" Aron asked.

"About nothing, just in general. I don't know where I'm heading."

"But you don't need to go anywhere," Ren said with a soft smile, "we like having you around." She only nodded. Wouldn't she come off as very ungrateful if she told them she didn't want to stay for too long? She forget for just one moment that Aron could see right through her.

"We really don't mind you being here," he said, "You're not a burden. Please don't feel like you need to get a job and move out as quickly as possible. If you need time, we'll give it to you." He only said those words because he knew she'd protest. He wanted to hear hat exactly was on her mind, and to have her say it, he needed to provoke her.

"And that's why I need to get out! I know you guys don't mind me being here, but it feels uncomfortable to be here. It may sound mean, but I don't want to depend on you. I also depended on Jake, and look where I'm now! I don't have a job, I don't have my own place, for 's sake, I don't even have a college degree! And as long as I stay here, I can't find a job or go to school. On the other hand, I don't have a home in LA anymore, or any money to go to school again. I just don't know what the hell I'm supposed to do to get my life on track again." Baekho stopped playing. He felt sorry for her. Right now, she kind of looked like a lost puppy, looking at the world with a scared face and sad eyes. 

"But why can't you get a job here?" JR asked. 

"I don't speak Korean fluently enough to go like, work in a supermarket or something. And there's nothing I'm really good at." Aron immediately frowned. There were plenty of things she was good at.

"Yes, you do, you-"

"Not anything that will help me get a job!" Aron shut his mouth, knowing she was right. She was good with people, she was amazing to talk with, she was pretty, she liked music -but really, she couldn't sing at all- and all of those made her very likeable and a great friend, but none of those qualities could get her a job. 

And this time even Aron had to admit he had no idea how to fix her issues.